Dr Anthony Camuglia is an Interventional Cardiologist located in Brisbane who specialises in structural and coronary interventions. In 2014, Dr Camuglia joined HeartCare Partners, now GenesisCare, as a Partner and Consultant Cardiologist where he primarily consults at the Mater Private Clinic in South Brisbane and Mater Hospital in Rockhampton.
He also currently consults at The Wesley Hospital in Auchenflower and is the Staff Specialist at the Princess Alexandra Hospital where he is a member of the Heart Team and part of the acute angioplasty emergency service for myocardial infarction.
Dr Camuglia has a special interest in minimally invasive treatments for structural and valvular heart diseases such as transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) and MitraClip.
Dr Camuglia completed a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery from Monash University with first-class honours. He has also completed a Master of Health Administration from Monash University which is focused on Health Administration and Management.
He completed his medical training and advanced cardiology training at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital and The Prince Charles Hospital in Brisbane. Following this, he completed a Clinical Fellowship at the Western University and London Health Sciences Centre in Ontario, Canada.
Outside of his clinical roles, Dr Camuglia contributes his knowledge and experience to research publications and education as a Senior Lecturer at the University of Queensland.
* This physician is currently not participating in the Hope For Hearts program. This profile was created using publically available information.
Procedures & Conditions
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Coronary Stenting
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Mitral Regurgitation
Consultant Interventional CardiologistHeartCare Partners, South Brisbane and Gympie Centres 2017 - Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistThe Mater Private Clinic, South Brisbane 2017 - Present
Staff Specialist and Consultant Interventional CardiologistPrincess Alexandra Hospital 2014 - Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistThe Wesley Hospital Present
Senior LecturerUniversity of Queensland Present
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (FCSANZ)
Member of the Australian Cardiac Outcomes Registry (ACOR) Steering Committee
Chair of the Queensland Cardiovascular Outcomes Registry (QCOR) Structural Heart Disease Sub-Committee
Research & Publications
1. Singh, Kuljit & Win, Kyi & Camuglia, Anthony & Provenzano, Sylvio. (2020). Emergency treatment of acute decompensated critical aortic stenosis with transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Future Cardiology. 17. 10.2217/fca-2020-0092.
2. Arasaratnam, K. & Camuglia, Anthony & Lo, A. & Holland, David & Guppy-Coles, Kristyan & Whalley, Gillian & Thomas, L. & Atherton, J. & Prasad, Sandhir. (2020). 281 Accuracy of the E/e’ Ratio as a Measure of Left Ventricular Filling Pressures in Patients with Non ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 29. S159. 10.1016/j.hlc.2020.09.288.
3. Yeong, C. & Conners, G. & Cox, S. & Garrahy, P. & Kyranis, S. & Lim, Richard & McCann, A. & Moore, P. & Singbal, Yash & Camuglia, Anthony. (2020). 902 Time to First Device Time in ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) at a High-Volume STEMI Centre Stratified by Access Site Approach. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 29. S442. 10.1016/j.hlc.2020.09.909.
4. Prasad, Sandhir & Camuglia, Anthony & Lo, Ada & Holland, David & Guppy-Coles, Kristyan & Whalley, Gillian & Thomas, Liza & Atherton, John. (2019). Hemodynamic Validation of the E/e’ Ratio as a Measure of Left Ventricular Filling Pressure in Patients With Non-ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction. The American Journal of Cardiology. 125. 10.1016/j.amjcard.2019.11.010.
5. Peverill, W. & Fetahovic, T. & Camuglia, Anthony. (2019). Cone Flare Crush Modified T Stenting for Complex Bifurcation lesions, a Novel Technique. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 28. 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.06.597.
6. Peverill, W. & Fetahovic, T. & Camuglia, Anthony. (2019). Cone Flare Crush Modified T Stenting for Complex Bifurcation Lesions, a Novel Technique. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 28. 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.06.366.
7. Peverill, W. & Camuglia, Anthony. (2019). Updated Society for Thoracic Surgeons Calculator Downgrades Surgical Risk Scores for Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR): Implications for TAVR and Patient re-stratification. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 28. 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.06.709.
8. O’sullivan, P. & Cole, C. & Mundy, Julie & Lo, W. & Garrahy, P. & Cox, S. & Sudhir, W. & Chong, A. & Korver, K. & Camuglia, Anthony. (2019). In-practice Hybrid Heart Team Co-proceduralist TAVR Model is Associated with Low Procedural Complication Rates and Good Patient Outcomes: The Princess Alexandra Hospital Hybrid Heart Team Approach. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 28. 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.06.640.
9. Fetahovic, Taufik & Hayman, Sam & Cox, Stephen & Cole, Chris & Rafter, Tony & Camuglia, Anthony. (2019). The Prophylactic Chimney Snorkel Technique for the Prevention of Acute Coronary Occlusion in High Risk for Coronary Obstruction Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement/Implantation Cases. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 28. 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.04.009.
10. Huang, R. & Newbigin, Katrina & McBean, Rhiannon & Kennan, J. & Camuglia, Anthony & Rafter, T.. (2018). Aortic Valve Calcium Scoring as a Predictor of Paravalvular Leakage in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 27. S220. 10.1016/j.hlc.2018.06.400.
11. Chong, A. & Mallouhi, M. & Camuglia, Anthony & Cole, C. & Cox, S. & Korver, K. & Wahi, Sudhir. (2018). Acute Afterload Reduction Post–Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: Early Mechanistic Insights into Improved Left Ventricular Performance. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 27. S213. 10.1016/j.hlc.2018.06.384.
12. Moore, Peter & Burrage, Matthew & Garrahy, Paul & Lim, Richard & McCann, Andrew & Camuglia, Anthony. (2017). Drug Eluting Stents Versus Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts for Left Main Coronary Disease: A Meta-Analysis and Review Of Randomised Controlled Trials. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 27. 10.1016/j.hlc.2017.09.008.
13. Subban, Vijayakumar & Savage, Michael & Crowhurst, J. & Robinson, Brendan & Poon, Karl & Incani, Alexander & Camuglia, Anthony & Murdoch, Dale & Aroney, Constantine & Tesar, Peter & Clarke, Andrew & Raffel, Owen & Bett, Nicholas & Walters, Darren. (2017). Assessment of coronary artery disease with fractional flow reserve in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Journal of Indian College of Cardiology. 7. 10.1016/j.jicc.2017.10.005.
14. Lin, Andrew & Jeffries, C. & Camuglia, Anthony & Wahi, Sudhir & Cole, C. & Mundy, Julie & Garrahy, P. & Dahiya, A.. (2016). Novel Protocol to Facilitate Low Contrast Dose Computed Tomography Angiography Before Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: Initial Experience. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 25. S244. 10.1016/j.hlc.2016.06.568.
15. Burrage, Matthew & Moore, Peter & Cole, Chris & Cox, Stephen & Lo, Wing & Rafter, Anthony & Garlick, Bruce & Garrahy, Paul & Mundy, Julie & Camuglia, Anthony. (2016). Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement is Associated with Comparable Clinical Outcomes to Open Aortic Valve Surgery but with a Reduced Length of In-Patient Hospital Stay: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Trials. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 26. 10.1016/j.hlc.2016.07.011.
16. Kwan, C. & Prasad, Sandhir & Guppy-Coles, Kristyan & Carr, L. & Camuglia, Anthony & Dooris, M. & Atherton, J.. (2016). E/E’ Ratio as a Noninvasive Measure of Left Ventricular Filling Pressure in Patients with Non-ST-elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes (NSTEACS). Heart, Lung and Circulation. 25. S227-S228. 10.1016/j.hlc.2016.06.532.
17. Camuglia, Anthony & Alemayehu, Mistre & McLellan, Andrew & Wall, Sabrina & Abu-Romeh, Nour & Lavi, Shahar. (2015). The Impact of Peripheral Nerve Stimulation on Coronary Blood Flow and Endothelial Function. Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy. 29. 10.1007/s10557-015-6628-z.
18. Sultan, Ayyaz & Randhawa, Varinder & Camuglia, Anthony & Lavi, Shahar. (2015). Short-term outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndrome treated with direct bioresorbable scaffold deployment. Cardiovascular revascularization medicine : including molecular interventions. 16. 10.1016/j.carrev.2015.06.007.
19. Camuglia, Anthony & Randhawa, Varinder & Lavi, Shahar. (2015). Takayasu arteritis involving the left main coronary artery treated with a bioresorbable vascular scaffold. International Journal of Cardiology. 190. 10.1016/j.ijcard.2015.04.107.
20. Lavi, Shahar & Alemayehu, Mistre & McLellan, Andrew & D’Alfonso, Sabrina & Wall, Sabrina & Abu-Romeh, Nour & Camuglia, Anthony. (2015). PERIPHERAL MUSCLE STIMULATION INCREASES CORONARY BLOOD FLOW. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 65. A1841. 10.1016/S0735-1097(15)61841-1.
21. Sultan, Ayyaz & Garg, Pallav & Camuglia, Anthony & Chu, Michael & Kiaii, Robert & Syed, Jaffer & Jones, Philip & Bainbridge, Daniel & Teefy, Patrick. (2014). Coronary Flow Velocity Reserve and Aortic Regurgitation Index Before and After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation for Severe Aortic Stenosis. Circulation. 1. A18215.
22. Blissett, Sarah & Camuglia, Anthony & Chu, Michael & Diamantouros, P. & Teefy, P.J.. (2014). DIRECT VESSEL VISUALIZATION WITH ARTERIAL CUT-DOWN REDUCES VASCULAR COMPLICATION RATES IN TRANSCATHETER AORTIC VALVE IMPLANTATION: BACK TO THE FUTURE. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 30. S240-S241. 10.1016/j.cjca.2014.07.410.
23. Camuglia, Anthony & Randhawa, Varinder & Lavi, Shahar & Walters, Darren. (2014). Cardiac catheterization is associated with superior outcomes for survivors of out of hospital cardiac arrest: Review and meta-analysis. Resuscitation. 85. 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2014.08.025.
24. Camuglia, Anthony & Waddell-Smith, Kathryn & Hammett, Christopher & Aylward, P. (2014). The potential role of anticoagulant therapy for the secondary prevention of ischemic events post-acute coronary syndrome. Current medical research and opinion. 30. 1-17. 10.1185/03007995.2014.949647.
25. Lavi, Shahar & Camuglia, Anthony. (2014). Illuminating and Alarming Insights Into Vascular Healing. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 30. 10.1016/j.cjca.2014.02.009.
26. Lavi, Ronit & D’Alfonso, Sabrina & Diamantouros, Pantelis & Camuglia, Anthony & Garg, Pallav & Teefy, Patrick & Jablonsky, George & Sridhar, Kumar & Lavi, Shahar. (2014). Response to Letter Regarding Article, “Remote Ischemic Postconditioning During Percutaneous Coronary Interventions: Remote Ischemic Postconditioning-Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Randomized Trial”. Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions. 7. 423-423. 10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.114.001591.
27. Lavi, Shahar & D’Alfonso, Sabrina & Diamantouros, Pantelis & Camuglia, Anthony & Garg, Pallav & Teefy, Patrick & Jablonsky, George & Sridhar, Kumar & Lavi, Ronit. (2014). Remote Ischemic Postconditioning During Percutaneous Coronary Interventions Remote Ischemic Postconditioning-Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Randomized Trial. Circulation. Cardiovascular interventions. 7. 10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.113.000948.
28. Camuglia, Anthony & Lavi, Shahar. (2014). Bioresorbable vascular scaffold implantation for treatment of recurrent in-stent restenosis: Insights from optical coherence tomography. International journal of cardiology. 172. 10.1016/j.ijcard.2013.12.212.
29. Carr, L. & Camuglia, Anthony & Dooris, M. & Lo, Ada & Atherton, J. & Prasad, Sandhir. (2013). E/E′ Ratio as a Noninvasive Measure of Left Ventricular Filling Pressure in Patients with Non-ST-elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes (NSTEACS). Heart, Lung and Circulation. 22. S175. 10.1016/j.hlc.2013.05.417.
30. Dooris, M. & Carr, L. & Camuglia, Anthony & Stewart, P. & Prasad, Sandhir. (2013). Predicting Pre-A Wave LVEDP in Biomarker Positive Acute Coronary Syndrome using Lateral E/E′ and Tei Index. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 22. S191. 10.1016/j.hlc.2013.05.455.
More research publications available upon request.View More