Dr Karthikeyan Gopal is an Interventional and Structural Cardiologist with a focus on general cardiology, coronary interventions, percutaneous valve procedures, and other structural interventions.
After completing his studies at Sri Ramachandra University in India, he traveled to Australia. He pursued postgraduate studies in infection and immunity at the University of Sydney and public health at the University of Western Sydney.
Procedures & Conditions
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI)
- Transcatheter Heart Valve Repair & Replacement
- ASD / VSD / PDA / PFO Closures
- Percutaneous Pulmonary Valve Implantation (PPVI)
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Aortic Stenosis
- Mitral Regurgitation
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO)
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA)
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD)
Consultant CardiologistThe Prince Charles Hospital 2023 - Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistHeart of Australia 2022 - Present
Consultant Interventional and Structural CardiologistSt Vincent's Private Hospital Northside 2022 - Present
Cardiology Structural Interventional FellowBarts Health NHS Trust 2021 - 2023
Cardiology Advanced TraineeThe Prince Charles Hospital Foundation 2018 - 2023
Cardiology Advanced TraineeTownsville Hospital and Health Service 2016 - 2023
Senior House OfficerThe Prince Charles Hospital 2012 - 2023
Cardiology Interventional FellowThe Prince Charles Hospital 2019 - 2021
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (FCSANZ)
Research & Publications
1. Challa, Abhinay & Aroney, Constantine & Gopal, Karthikeyan & Walters, D. & Murdoch, Dale & Poon, Karl & Raffel, C.. (2020). 892 TAVI in TAVI- A Single Centre Experience. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 29. S437-S438. 10.1016/j.hlc.2020.09.899.
2. Mandala, A. & Murdoch, Dale & Poon, Karl & Aroney, Constantine & Gopal, Karthikeyan & Walters, D. & Clarke, A. & Scalia, Gregory & Raffel, Owen. (2020). 905 Transcatheter Mitral Valve in Valve: An Early Institutional Experience. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 29. S443. 10.1016/j.hlc.2020.09.912.
3. Gopal, Karthikeyan & Markham, Ryan & Shaw, E. & Gaikwad, Nisha & Dautov, R. & Walters, D.. (2018). Zero Contrast Complex Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Via ‘Roadmap’. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 27. S488. 10.1016/j.hlc.2018.06.1010.
4. Gopal, Karthikeyan & Markham, Ryan & Raoti, A. & Pincus, M. & Incani, A. & Poon, Karl & Raffel, C. & Walters, D.. (2018). Intracoronary Rheolytic Thrombectomy With the Angiojet Device: A Single-Centre Experience. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 27. S458. 10.1016/j.hlc.2018.06.941.
5. Wilson, Emma & Gopal, Karthikeyan & Iyer, Jay & Tam, Robert & Schrale, Ryan & Zipori, Yaniv. (2017). Management of Maternal Atrial Myxoma in Advanced Pregnancy: A Clinical Dilemma. Obstetrics and Gynaecology Cases – Reviews. 4. 10.23937/2377-9004/1410106.
6. Hegde, P. & Gopal, Karthikeyan & Huey, S. & Gowda, V. & Yadav, Rinku & Schrale, Ryan & Bhaveja, S.. (2016). Experience with FFR Guided PCI in a Regional Tertiary Referral Centre in North Queensland. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 25. S176. 10.1016/j.hlc.2016.06.413.
7. Landman, S. & Gopal, Karthikeyan & Eles, E. & Basnayake, L. & Thompson, L. & Pandy, Shaun. (2013). Systematic characterisation of the natural history of delirium in the clinical setting – a work in progress. Australasian Journal on Ageing. 32. 27-27.View More