Dr Scott McKenzie is a passionate and driven medical professional who has extensively developed his skills in Cardiology and Internal Medicine. Dr McKenzie’s education, professional, and volunteer experience demonstrate a desire to continuously challenge and expand his skills.
Currently, he holds roles with the Queensland Cardiovascular Group (QCG) and Queensland Health. Dr McKenzie works closely with heart failure patients from the diagnosis, management, and assessment of heart failure in these patients.
Dr McKenzie has an undergraduate qualification in Computer Science, displaying his enthusiasm for advances in Telemedicine and Telehealth. He is passionate about the opportunity that telehealth technology can provide to grow and enhance the management of patients with chronic diseases across the world, particularly in rural and remote regions. He aspires to be part of the development of this advanced specialist care and has been exploring this technology within his role at Queensland Health.
Additionally, Dr McKenzie actively engages in medical education and continues to expand his skills in providing adult education as a senior lecturer in the School of Medicine at The University of Queensland.
Utilising his extensive cardiology knowledge and skills, he contributed to the international research project for CardioMEMS and established the first CardioMEMS remote monitoring service in the Asia Pacific region. To which he has remained the most experienced manager of CardioMEMS in the Asia Pacific region.
Outside of his professional roles, Dr McKenzie actively participates in medical research and publications and has been volunteering with the St John Ambulance service for over 20 years. He is the Cardiology Education coordinator at The Prince Charles Hospital and Senior Clinician in the Cardiac Outreach Program. Additionally, Dr McKenzie contributes to the Drugs and Therapeutics Community for The Prince Charles Hospital and is part of the Queensland Cardiac Clinical Network.
Dr Scott McKenzie’s medical specialty areas include General Cardiology, Advanced Heart Failure, Cardiac Transplantation, Vascular Medicine, Venous Thromboembolism, Vascular Disease Risk Modification.
Procedures & Conditions
- Cardiac Transplant Care
- Mechanical Circulatory Support Management
- Vascular Risk Assessment and Management
- Venous Thromboembolism Management
- Coronary Angiography
- Single Chamber Permanent Pacemaker Insertion and Generator Change
- Exercise Stress Testing
- Transthoracic and Transoesophageal Echocardiography
- Cardiac Transplant Workup Assessment and Management
- Management of Ventricular Assist Devices: Heartwave HVAD, Thoratec p VAD, Ventrassist
- Peri-Operative Management
- Heart Failure
- General Cardiology
- Acute Heart Failure
- Chronic Heart Failure
Cardiologist, General Physician & Vascular Medicine PhysicianQueensland Cardiovascular Group 2018 - Present
Visiting Medical Officer CardiologistHoly Spirit Northside Private Hospital 2016 - Present
Cardiologist, General Physician & Vascular PhysicianNorthside Heart & Lung 2016 - 2018
Cardiologist - Advanced Heart Failure & Cardiac TransplantThe Prince Charles Hospital 2011 - Present
Senior Staff Specialty CardiologistQueensland Health 2011 - Present
Senior Lecturer - School of MedicineUniversity of Queensland 2011 - Present
Advance Heart Failure & Cardiac Transplant FellowThe Prince Charles Hospital 2010 - 2011
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Physicians
Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Member of the International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation
Member of the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Member of the Internal Medicine Society of Australia and New Zealand
Member of the Australian Medical Association (Queensland)
Research & Publications
1. Reliability of thermodilution derived cardiac output with different operator characteristics. McKenzie SC; Dunster K; Chan W; Brown MR; Platts DG; Javorsky G; Anstey C; Gregory SD, Journal Of Clinical Monitoring And Computing [J Clin Monit Comput], 2017 Mar 09.
2. General Medicine Indigenous Outreach Registrar Training in rural Queensland. Jauncey P; McKenzie S; Corpus R; Fong KM; Walters DL, The Medical Journal Of Australia [Med J Aust], 2016 Sep 05; Vol. 205 (5), pp. 237.
3. A transcatheter intracardiac shunt device for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (REDUCE LAP-HF): a multicentre, open-label, single-arm, phase 1 trial. Hasenfuß G; Hayward C; Burkhoff D; Silvestry FE; McKenzie S; Gustafsson F; Malek F; Van der Heyden J; Lang I; Petrie MC; Cleland JG; Leon M; Kaye DM; REDUCE LAP-HF study investigators, Lancet 2016 Mar 26; Vol. 387 (10025), pp. 1298-304.
4. Indolent cardiac angioma mimicking hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy and causing right ventricular outflow tract obstruction. Martin R. Brown; Andrew Dettrick; George Javorsky; Scott C. McKenzie; David G. Platts. European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Imaging 2013; doi: 10.1093/ehjci/jet002.
5. Does cardiac testing before trastuzumab therapy actually make a difference? By: Lee, J C; McKenzie, S C. Internal Medicine Journal. 43(5) 610, 2013-May.
6. Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging Predicts Recovery of Left Ventricular Function in Acute Onset Cardiomyopathy; McLellan A.J.A., McKenzie S.C., Taylor A.J. Heart Lung & Circulation 21(1) 30 – 35, 2012 Jan.
7. Bradycardia in a patient taking Black Cohosh; McKenzie S, Rahman, A. Medical Journal of Australia. 193(8):479-81, 2010 Oct 18.
8. An Australian Experience of Retrievable Inferior Vena Cava Filters in Patients with Increased Risk of Thromboembolic Disease; McKenzie S, Gibbs H, de Villiers L, Leggett D, Neels M, Redmond K, Harper J. International Angiology 29(1):53-7, 2010 Feb.
9. Initial Australian Experience with the Recovery Inferior Vena Cava Filter in Patients with increased risk of Thromboembolic Disease; de Villiers L, McKenzie S, Gibbs H, Leggett D, Neels M, Harper J, Journal of Medical Imaging & Radiation Oncology. 52(2):124-9, 2008 Apr.
10. MAGIC (Mouth and Genital Ulcers with Inflamed Cartilage) syndrome complicated by aneurysmal aortitis; Ng, C.S., Hogan P, McKenzie S, Gibbs H, Strutton G, Wong R. Journal of Clinical Rheumatology 13(4) 221-3, 2007 Aug.
11. Initial Experience of Cardiac Transplant Follow up Using Telehealth. Featured Abstract at Plenary Session of International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation Meeting 2012: S.C. McKenzie, J. Maddicks-Law, R. Gururajan, M. Brown, D. Platts, A. Hickey, G. Javorsky. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, Volume 31, Issue 4, Supplement, April 2012, Page S131.
12. Obesity and activity in heart transplant: Is obesity post heart transplant related to patient activity levels? S. McKenzie, R. Francis, W. Chan, G. Javorsky, N. Morris, J. Walsh. Heart, Lung and Circulation, Volume 24, Supplement 3, 2015, Pages S213-S214.
13. Reliability of thermodilution derived cardiac output with different operator characteristics: S. McKenzie, C. Anstey, G. Javorsky, D. Platts, S. Gregory, W. Chan. Heart, Lung and Circulation, Volume 24, Supplement 3, 2015, Page S297.
14. Adequacy of treatment and follow up of common cardiac conditions in Indigenous patients in rural and remote Queensland. P. Jauncey, S. McKenzie. Heart, Lung and Circulation, Volume 24, Supplement 3, 2015, Page S440.
15. Clinical characteristics and long-term outcomes in patients with acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction involving the right coronary artery or dominant left circumflex artery treated with primary percutaneous coronary intervention. R. Markham, Y. Wong, D. Walters, D. Wright, S. McKenzie. Heart, Lung and Circulation, Volume 24, Supplement 3, 2015, Page S201.
16. Early mobilisation of a continuous flow ventricular assist device patient cohort: a tertiary centre experience. H. Seale, J. Bancroft, J. King, A. Dunning, S. Tang, S. McKenzie, G. Javorsky. Heart, Lung and Circulation, Volume 24, Supplement 3, 2015, Pages S204-S205.
17. Late diagnosis of Fabry disease in middle-aged men with left ventricular hypertrophy and heart failure. Chan, W; Brown, M; Denaro, C; Platts, D; Pincus, M; Javorsky, G; McKenzie, S. Heart, Lung & Circulation 2014: 23(Suppl 2) e7-8.
18. How Active Are Heart Transplant Recipients After Their Transplant? Scott C. McKenzie, Rebecca Francis, Martin R. Brown, David G. Platts, Jared Brunning, Helen Seale, James Walsh. Global Heart, Vol. 9, Issue 1, e270.
19. Transthoracic Echocardiography Guided Assessment of Pulmonary Vascular Resistance – Time for a New Formula. Brown, M.; Hamilton-Craig, C.; Javorsky, G.; McKenzie, S.; Platts, D.; Burstow, D. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; vol. 22 (Suppl 1). p. S203-S204.
20. Right Atrial Pressure Evaluation Comparing Invasive Right Heart Catheterisation and Simultaneous Transthoracic Echocardiography Using Old and New ASE Guidelines. Brown, M.; Hamilton-Craig, C.; Javorsky, G.; McKenzie, S.; Platts, D.; Burstow, D. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; vol. 22 (Suppl 1). p. S196.
21. Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and Sleep Disordered Breathing in Stable Heart Failure Patients. Lamanna, A.; Brown, M.; Smith, D.; McKenzie, S.; Platts, D.; Lucas, M.; Douglas, J.; Javorsky, G. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; vol. 22 (Suppl 1). p. S77.
22. Heart Transplant Survival Rates in Patients Requiring a Ventricular Assist Device as a Bridge to Transplant. Lamanna, A.; McKenzie, S.; Brown, M.; Platts, D.; Thomson, B.; Tesar, P.; Maddicks-Law, J.; Bancroft, J.; Javorsky, G. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; vol. 22 (Suppl 1) p. S78.
23. MOBILE-HF: Physiotherapist Supervised Early Mobilisation in Patients with Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Francis, R.; Moore, L.; Bullen, A.; Tronstad, O.; Javorsky, G.; Brown, M.; McKenzie, S.; Platts, D.; Kuys, S. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; vol. 22 (Suppl 1) p. S83.
24. Preoperative Predictors for Length of ICU Admission after Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Implantation as Bridge to Transplant-A Single Centre Experience. McKenzie, S.; Platts, D.; Bancroft, J.; Maddicks-Law, J.; Brown, M.; Thomson, B.; Javorsky, G. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; vol. 22 (Suppl 1) p. S86.
25. The Economic Savings of Queensland’s Indigenous Cardiac Outreach Program. S. McKenzie, A. Goodman, R. Mahoney, R. Corpus, M. Brown. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; vol. 22 (Suppl 1). P S254.
26. Poor Health Status and Depression are Associated with Excessive Daytime Sleepiness in Stable Heart Failure Patients. A. Lamanna, M. Brown, S. McKenzie, D. Smith, D. Platts, M. Lucas, J. Douglas, G. Javorsky. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; vol. 22 (Suppl 1)p S85.
27. Heart Transplant Workup Medical Imaging and Resulting Radiation Exposure. S.C. McKenzie, M. Brown. D. Platts, G. Javorsky, J Maddicks-Law, M. Whitby. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation vol. 32 issue 4 April, 2013. p. S206.
28. Initial Experience with Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplant Clinics Conducted via Telehealth in Queensland; S. McKenzie, A. Hickey, M. Brown, D. Platts, J. Maddicks-Law, D. Korczyk, G. Javorsky. Heart, Lung and Circulation, Volume 21, Supplement 1, 2012, Page S83.
29. Radiation Dose Received by Patients Undergoing Work-up for Heart Transplantation; S. McKenzie, M. Brown, D. Platts, G. Javorsky, J. Maddicks-Law, M. Whitby. Heart, Lung and Circulation, Volume 21, Supplement 1, 2012, Pages S90-S91
30. The Microbiology of Ventricular Assist Devices in Queensland; S. McKenzie, J. Bancroft, M. Brown, D. Platts, B. Thomson, R. Horvath, G. Javorsky, C. Coulter: Heart, Lung and Circulation, Volume 21, Supplement 1, 2012, Page S96.
More publications available upon request.View More
- Vascular 2005: The Use of Temporary IVC Filters for the Prevention of Pulmonary Embolism in High-Risk Patients; Presentation.