Dr Brendan Bell is a Clinical and Interventional Cardiologist in Queensland and Founding Partner of CardioVascular Clinics (CVC). He consults privately at St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital in Spring Hill, as well as, regularly at the Stephen’s Private Hospital in Hervey Bay and the Mater Misericordiae Hospital in Rockhampton.
Dr Bell has an interest in the treatment of coronary artery disease including complex coronary interventions, valvular and structural heart disease, pulmonary hypertension including balloon angioplasty for chronic thromboembolic disease, chest pain and peri-operative assessments, and general cardiology.
Brendan completed his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery at the University of Queensland with Honours and was awarded the University Medal and Lillian Cooper Prize for Dux of Medicine. He completed his basic medical and specialist cardiology training at The Alfred in Melbourne and The Prince Charles Hospital in Brisbane.
Following this, Dr Bell completed a Fellowship at the Lahey Clinic in Boston focusing on interventional and peripheral endovascular cardiology. It was during his time overseas, that he had the opportunity to volunteer with Project Pacer International providing cardiac care to patients in Ethiopia.
Dr Bell actively participates in education and research, often presenting at national and international conferences, publishing research articles, has authored a number of cardiac guidelines and is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Queensland.
Procedures & Conditions
- Complex Coronary Interventions
- Chest Pain Assessment
- Peri-operative Management
- Complex Percutaneous Coronary Revascularisation
- Pulmonary Hypertension Assessment
- Balloon Pulmonary Angioplasty for Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension
- Structural Heart Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Clinical Cardiology
- General Cardiology
Consultant Interventional CardiologistSt Andrew's War Memorial Hospital Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistSt Stephen's Private Hospital Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistMater Misericordiae Hospital Present
Founding PartnerCardioVascular Clinics (CVC) Present
Staff Interventional Cardiologist & Director of Coronary Care UnitThe Prince Charles Hospital 2012 - 2017
Senior LecturerUniversity of Queensland Present
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Member of the Statewide Anticoagulation Committee
University of Queensland Medal and Lillian Cooper Prize for Dux of Medicine
Research & Publications
1. Hamilton-Craig, Christian & Gomes, Rolf & Lai, Tony & Sedgwick, John & Huderverdi, Mahala & Mishra, Akshay & Bell, Brendan & Ginns, Jonathon. (2020). Cardiology Clinical Research Centre.
2. Mengel, C. & Tatavarty, Sameer & Gluer, R. & Aroney, Nicholas & Murdoch, Dale & Bell, Brendan & Walters, D.. (2017). Successful STEMI Thrombolysis Post Reversal of Dabigatran (Pradaxa®). Heart, Lung and Circulation. 26. S234. 10.1016/j.hlc.2017.06.440.
3. Hanna, Joseph & Kyranis, S. & Alghamry, Alaa & Bell, Brendan & Mishra, Akshay & Raffel, Owen. (2016). Coronary Artery Disease Distribution in Patients Presenting with Symptomatic Atrial Fibrillation. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 25. S38. 10.1016/j.hlc.2016.06.084.
4. Gluer, R. & Murdoch, Dale & Poon, Karl & Bell, Brendan & Mishra, Akshay & Pincus, M. & Raffel, Owen & Walters, D.. (2015). GuideLiner guide extension catheter for difficult coronary intervention: A large, single-centre case series. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 24. S276. 10.1016/j.hlc.2015.06.387.
5. Murdoch, Dale & Gluer, R. & Shaw, E. & Incani, A. & Poon, Karl & Bell, Brendan & Pincus, M. & Mishra, Akshay & Raffel, Owen & Walters, D.. (2015). Consider the GuideLiner Guide Extension Catheter early for difficult balloon and stent delivery. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 24. S270. 10.1016/j.hlc.2015.06.373.
6. Jahangiri, Bijan & Murdoch, Dale & Raffel, Owen & Incani, A. & Poon, Karl & Bell, Brendan & Pincus, M. & Mishra, Akshay & Savage, Michael & Walters, D.. (2015). Tornus catheter for calcified coronary stenoses that cannot be crossed with other devices. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 24. S309. 10.1016/j.hlc.2015.06.462.
7. Antony, J. & Jahangiri, Bijan & Paymard, Mohammad & Carroll, M. & Bell, Brendan. (2015). Yield of routine provocative testing among patients assessed in a large tertiary centre chest pain assessment service. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 24. S174-S175. 10.1016/j.hlc.2015.06.149.
8. Chan, J. & Wee, Yong & Poon, Karl & Savage, Michael & Bell, Brendan & Murdoch, Dale & Walters, D. & Raffel, Owen. (2015). Stent thrombosis incidence in a quaternary Australian centre. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 24. S303. 10.1016/j.hlc.2015.06.449.
9. He, A. & Neill, Johanne & Bell, Brendan & Walters, D. & Chan, J. & Branch, Kelley & Hamilton-Craig, Christian. (2015). Assessment of pre-test algorithms to predict CAD by CTCA in emergency department chest pain. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 24. S325-S326. 10.1016/j.hlc.2015.06.501.
10. Paymard, Mohammad & Nicotra, Lisa & Dettrick, Andrew & Bell, Brendan & Chaudhuri, Alex & Cody, David & Tesar, Peter & Hamilton-Craig, Christian. (2015). Chronic Q fever prosthetic valve endocarditis — an important cause of prosthetic valve dysfunction in Australia. The Medical journal of Australia. 202. 212-3. 10.5694/mja14.00864.
11. Safaa, Ali & Incani, Alexander & Raffel, Owen & Savage, Michael & Fu, Jinlin & Bell, Brendan & Poon, Karl & Walters, Darren. (2014). PW100 A Comparison Of Door To Balloon Times Between Different Age Groups At The Prince Charles Hospital – A 5 Year Experience. Global Heart. 9. e280. 10.1016/j.gheart.2014.03.2233.
12. Khelgi, Vinod & Murdoch, Dale & Savage, Michael & Incani, A. & Raffel, Owen & Small, A. & Bell, Brendan & Pincus, M. & Walters, D.. (2013). Chronic Total Occlusions: A Single Centre Experience at the Prince Charles Hospital. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 22. S129. 10.1016/j.hlc.2013.05.307.
13. Safaa, Ali & Incani, A. & Savage, Michael & Fu, Jinlin & Raffell, C. & Bell, Brendan & Pincus, M. & Small, A. & Chua, R. & Mishra, Akshay & Dahl, M. & Walters, D.. (2013). A Single Centre Experience on Reasons for Delay in the Door to Balloon Time: A Five-Year Trend at The Prince Charles Hospital. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 22. S126-S127. 10.1016/j.hlc.2013.05.301.
14. Safaa, Ali & Incani, A. & Savage, Michael & Fu, Jinlin & Pincus, M. & Raffell, C. & Small, A. & Bell, Brendan & Mishra, Akshay & Chua, R. & Dahl, M. & Walters, D.. (2013). Door to Balloon Times in STEMI Patients: A Five-Year Trend at the Prince Charles Hospital. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 22. S134. 10.1016/j.hlc.2013.05.319.
15. Subban, Vijayakumar & Bell, Brendan & Raffel, Owen & Small, Andrew & Savage, Michael & Incani, Alexander & Walters, Darren. (2013). A Rare Mechanism of Very Late Bare Metal Stent Thrombosis-Role of Optical Coherence Imaging in Its Evaluation and Management. Heart, lung & circulation. 23. 10.1016/j.hlc.2013.04.120.
16. Burstow, Darryl & Poon, Karl & Bell, Brendan & Bett, Nicholas. (2012). Anterior ECG changes following iatrogenic dissection of the right coronary artery into the aortic root: Exclusion of left coronary obstruction with transoesophageal echocardiography. Cardiovascular revascularization medicine : including molecular interventions. 14. 10.1016/j.carrev.2012.10.005.
17. Bell, Brendan & Iqtidar, Ali & Pyne, Christopher. (2011). Impella assisted transradial coronary intervention in patients with acute coronary syndromes and cardiogenic shock: Case series. Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions. 78. 880-5. 10.1002/ccd.23104.
18. Bell, Brendan & Layland, Jamie & Poon, Karl & Spaulding, Christian & Walters, Darren. (2011). Focused Clinical Review: Periprocedural Management of Antiplatelet Therapy in Patients with Coronary Stents. Heart, lung & circulation. 20. 438-45. 10.1016/j.hlc.2011.03.005.
19. Poon, Karl & Bell, Brendan & Raffel, Owen & Walters, Darren & Jang, Ik-Kyung. (2011). Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection Utility of Intravascular Ultrasound and Optical Coherence Tomography During Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Circulation. Cardiovascular interventions. 4. e5-7. 10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.110.959593.
20. Luis, Sushil & Savage, Michael & Bell, Brendan & Small, A.. (2010). Trans-Radial Approach for Primary Percutaneous Intervention. Heart Lung and Circulation – HEART LUNG CIRC. 19. 10.1016/j.hlc.2010.06.1042.
21. Bell, Brendan & Bett, Nicholas & Walters, Darren. (2010). Fistula From Aneurysmal Saphenous Vein Graft to Right Atrium Treated with Covered Stents. Heart, lung & circulation. 19. 465-9. 10.1016/j.hlc.2010.05.005.
22. Layland, Jamie & Bell, Brendan & Mullany, Dan & Walters, Darren. (2010). Percutaneous management of aortic stenosis in high-risk patients. The Medical journal of Australia. 192. 520-5. 10.5694/j.1326-5377.2010.tb03616.x.
23. Layland, Jamie & Bell, Brendan & Latona, Jilani & Mullany, Dan & Manaharan, G & Thompson, B & Aroney, Constantine & Walters, D. (2010). Novel Use of a Percutaneous Aortic Valve in Stentless Bioprosthetic CryoLife-O’Brien Valve Dysfunction. The Journal of heart valve disease. 19. 263-4.
24. Platts, D. & Hamilton-Craig, Christian & Bell, Brendan & Boga, T. & Bancroft, Jayne & Burstow, Darryl. (2009). Assessment of Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Function and Detection of Complications using Transoesophageal Echocardiography (TOE). Heart Lung and Circulation – HEART LUNG CIRC. 18. 10.1016/j.hlc.2009.05.039.
25. Bell, Brendan & Walters, Darren & Spaulding, Christian. (2009). Deciphering Dual Antiplatelet Therapy in the Era of Drug-Eluting Coronary Stents. Current drug targets. 10. 519-29. 10.2174/138945009788488413.
26. Larsen, Peter & Dahl, Margaret & Bell, Brendan & Walters, Darren. (2008). Effectiveness of an “On-line”, Evidence-based, Referral System for the Risk Stratification and Early Management of Patients Presenting with Acute Coronary Syndromes to Rural and Remote Hospitals Without On-site Angiography. Heart Lung and Circulation – HEART LUNG CIRC. 17. 10.1016/j.hlc.2008.05.216.