Dr Alexander Incani is an interventional cardiologist with a special interest in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI), complex structural heart intervention and high risk coronary stenting, including the use of mechanical support devices (Impella CP). Dr Incani performs both percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) procedures using the Impella CP. He is on the national faculty and is proctor for Edwards Lifesciences TAVI platform.
Dr Incani graduated from The University of Melbourne with first class honours and was dux of internal medicine in 2003. Following cardiology training at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne, he commenced his interventional training at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth, working with the team who brought MitraClip to Australia.
He continued his coronary and structural interventional training at The Prince Charles Hospital Brisbane, before finishing in Vancouver under the supervision of Professor John Webb, pioneer of the TAVI procedure. He has recently co-pioneered the first and most successful private transcatheter heart valve program in Queensland. Along with his trusted friend and colleague, Dr Poon, he has managed to establish one of the safest and highest volume TAVI centres in Australasia. The St Andrew’s Heart Valve Program has recently been recognised as a “centre of excellence.”
Alex has been the recipient of numerous meritorious awards including a National Heart Foundation Research Scholarship in 1999, an Outstanding Achievement Award for his contribution to the Cath Lab at The Prince Charles Hospital 2012, The Interventional Fellows Prize ANZET 2012 and the CSL Biotherapies Award for interventional training 2013.
Dr Incani is a senior lecturer at The University of Queensland and has recently co-authored the Chest Pain Guidelines for general practitioners through Medicare Local. He has performed original research in intracoronary physiology and imaging and was instrumental in bringing iFR to Australia. He has published over 20 papers and 40 abstracts during his fellowship. Dr Incani continues to contribute to the next generation of interventionalists by overseeing the training of other cardiologists in both TAVI and high risk PCI.
Dr Incani has a special interest in all aspects of tertiary level cardiac care. He is a founding partner and the managing director of CardioVascular Clinics (CVC) at St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital Spring Hill, Rockhampton, Hervey Bay and North Lake and the Founding Director of Queensland Heart Institute (QHI).
Procedures & Conditions
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Coronary Angiography and Right Heart Studies
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- Valve in Valve TAVI
- Pressure Wire Assessment of Coronary Artery Disease
- Bifurcation Stenting
- Chronic Total Occlusion and Left Main PCI
- Intravascular Imaging of Coronary Artery Disease - IVUS and OCT
- High Risk Coronary Stenting
- Mechanical Support Devices (Impella CP)
- LAA Occluder
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Aortic Valve Disease - special interest in aortic stenosis
- Mitral Valve Disease - special interest in mitral regurgitation
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- Risk Factor Management
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Angina Pectoris
- Myocardial Infarction
Founding DirectorQueensland Heart Institute (QHI) 2019
Accredited TAVI Specialist2017
Managing DirectorCardioVascular Clinics (CVC) 2015 - present
Interventional Cardiologist Consultant (Clinical & Research)The Prince Charles Hospital 2013 - 2015
Clinical and Research Interventional Fellow at St Paul’s Hospital VancouverSt Paul’s Hospital 2013
Interventional Cardiologist Consultant (Clinical & Research)2012 - 2013
MPhil StudentThe University of Queensland 2012 - 2013
Locum Interventional Cardiologist2012 - 2013
Interventional Cardiology Fellow (Clinical and Research)2011 - 2012
Interventional Cardiology Fellow2010 - 2011
Senior Cardiology Registrar2009 - 2010
Cardiology Registrar2008 - 2009
CSL/Biotherapies Interventional Scholarship Award for excellence in interventional training (CSANZ)
Australian First – iFR in the cath lab (The Prince Charles Hospital)
CSANZ Travelling Scholarship (The Prince Charles Hospital)
Outstanding Achievement Award for contribution to interventional cardiology (The Prince Charles Hospital)
Finalist of the Richard Slaughter Clinical Research Award (The Prince Charles Hospital)
ANZET Fellows’ Prize for 2011 for the presentation “OCT Guided Bifurcation PCI using a Sheathless EauCath
Winner of the ANZET Fellows’ Prize for 2011 for the presentation “OCT Guided Bifurcation PCI using a Sheathless EauCath” (The Prince Charles Hospital)
Keith Henderson Award for Best Teacher at Registrar Level (St Vincent's Hospital)
Recipient of CVS Forum Pfizer CV Grant (St Vincent's Hospital)
Winner of The Jamieson Prize in Clinical Internal Medicine
Dux of internal medicine (The University of Melbourne)
The Rowden White Faculty Prize for equal top percentile student in M.B.B.S (The University of Melbourne Awards)
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
Dean's Honours List
Research & Publications
1. Left Atrial Appendage Closure for Non-valvular Atrial Fibrillation Incani A, Lee JC, Poon KK, Burstow DJ, Raffel OC, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2012 Apr;21(4):247-8. Epub 2012 Feb 14.
2. Unconventional Technique to Catheterize an Anomalous Right Coronary Artery System Incani A, Lee JC, Poon KK, Raffel OC. Int J Cardiol. 2012 Sep 6;159(3):e43-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2011.11.047. Epub 2011 Dec 20.
3. First Australian Transapical Mitral Valve-in-Valve Implant for a Failed Mitral Bioprosthesis: How To Do It. Poon KK, Clarke A, Luis SA, Wiemers P, Incani A, Scalia G, Tesar P, Raffel OC, Aroney CN, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2012 May 15.
4. Non-pharmacological therapy for atrial fibrillation: managing the left atrial appendage. Luis SA, Roper D, Incani A, Poon K, Haqqani H, Walters DL. Cardiol Res Pract. 2012;2012:304626. Epub 2012 May 15.
5. Normal functioning of a constrained CoreValve® with DynaCT imaging demonstrating incomplete stent frame expansion. Incani A, Lee JC, Poon KK, Crowhurst JA, Raffel OC, Walters DL. Int J Cardiol. 2012 Jul 11.
6. Fistula Between Subclavian Arterial Graft and Oesophagus. Incani A, Lee JC, Poon KK, Pohlner PG, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2012 Jul 11.
7. Impact of optimising fluoroscopic implant angles on paravalvular regurgitation in transcatheter aortic valve replacements – utility of three-dimensional rotational angiography. Poon KK, Crowhurst J, James C, Campbell D, Roper D, Chan J, Incani A, Clarke A, Tesar P, Aroney C, Raffel OC, Walters DL. EuroIntervention. 2012 Sep 20;8(5):538-45. doi: 10.4244/EIJV8I5A84
8. Anomalous origin of the left internal mammary artery from the aortic arch. Incani A, Lee JC, Poon KK, Crowhurst JA, Pincus M, Walters DL. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2012 Sep;5(9):e27-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jcin.2012.05.013.
9. Improving the Utility of Coronary Angiography: the use of Adjuvant Imaging and Physiological Assessment. Book Chapter: In-Tech Angiography 2012 Alexander Incani FRACP, Anthony C Camuglia MBBS (HonsI), Karl K. Poon FRACP, O. Christopher Raffel FRACP and Darren L Walters M Phil (UQ) Grad. Cert Mang. (Health) FRACP FCSANZ FSCAI. The Prince Charles Hospital, Rode Rd, Chermside, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
10. Drug eluting stents trapping intramural hematoma in spontaneous coronary artery dissection and healing pattern at six months: optical coherence tomography findings Poon K, Incani A, Small A, Raffel OC. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2012 Nov 20. doi:pii: S1553-8389(12)00258-8. 10.1016/j.carrev.2012.10.007. [Epub ahead of print]
11. Optical Coherence Tomography: Research Applications, Potential Clinical Utility and Future Directions. Poon KK, Incani A, Raffel OC, Walters DL, Jang IK Interv.Cardiol 2012 4(6) Future Medicine Review Article.
12. Stenting an aorto-pulmonary conduit with peripheral cardiopulmonary bypass support. Lee J, Incani A, Nicolae M, Walters D. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Apr 16. doi: 10.1002/ccd.24952. [Epub ahead of print]
13. Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia: evaluation of the role of transoesophageal echocardiography in identifying clinically unsuspected endocarditis. Incani A, Hair C, Purnell P, O’Brien DP, Cheng AC, Appelbe A, Athan E. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013 Feb 17.
14. The Demographic Profile of Young Patients (<45 years-old) with Acute Coronary Syndromes in Queensland. Chen TS, Incani A, Butler TC, Poon K, Fu J, Savage M, Dahl M, Callow DE, Colburn D, Hammett C, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2013 Jun 20.
15. Conservative management and resolution of a contained rupture of aortic annulus following transcatheter valve replacement. Subban V, Incani A, Clarke A, Aroney C, Scalia GM, Crowhurst JA, Raffel OC, Walters DL. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Jun;6(6):e33-4.
16. A Rare Mechanism of Very Late Bare Metal Stent Thrombosis-Role of Optical Coherence Imaging in Its Evaluation and Management. Subban V, Bell B, Raffel OC, Small A, Savage M, Incani A, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2013 May 27.
17. A Repeat Alcohol Septal Ablation Procedure for Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy Where the First Septal Branch Arose from the Intermediate (Ramus) Artery. Doran GC, Burns CM, Murdoch DJ, Incani A, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2013 May 21.
18. Using DynaCT for the assessment of ilio-femoral arterial calibre, calcification and tortuosity index in patients selected for trans-catheter aortic valve replacement. Crowhurst JA, Campbell D, Raffel OC, Whitby M, Pathmanathan P, Redmond S, Incani A, Poon K, James C, Aroney C, Clarke A, Walters DL. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013 Aug 8. [Epub ahead of print]
19. Pre-Hospital Ambulance Notification and Initiation of Treatment of ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction is Associated with Significant Reduction in Door-to-Balloon Time for Primary PCI. Savage ML, Poon KK, Johnston EM, Raffel OC, Incani A, Bryant J, Rashford S, Pincus M, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2014 May;23(5):435-43. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2013.11.015. Epub 2013 Dec 11.
20. The effect of X-ray beam distortion on the Edwards Sapien XT(™) trans-catheter aortic valve replacement prosthesis. Crowhurst JA, Poon KK, Murdoch D, Incani A, Raffel OC, Liddicoat A, Walters D. J Med Radiat Sci. 2015 Dec;62(4):239-45. doi: 10.1002/jmrs.131. Epub 2015 Aug 30.
21. Factors Contributing to Acute Kidney Injury and the Impact on Mortality in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Crowhurst JA, Savage M, Subban V, Incani A, Raffel OC, Poon K, Murdoch D, Saireddy R, Clarke A, Aroney C, Bett N, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2016 Mar;25(3):282-9. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2015.06.832. Epub 2015 Aug 10.
22. Outcomes of transcatheter aortic valve implantation in high surgical risk and inoperable patients with aortic stenosis: a single Australian Centre experience. Subban V, Murdoch D, Savage ML, Crowhurst J, Saireddy R, Poon KK, Incani A, Bett N, Burstow DJ, Scalia GM, Clarke A, Raffel OC, Aroney CN, Walters DL. Intern Med J. 2016 Jan;46(1):42-51. doi: 10.1111/imj.12938.
23. Transcatheter valve-in-valve replacement of degenerated bioprosthetic aortic valves: a single Australian Centre experience. Subban V, Savage M, Crowhurst J, Poon K, Incani A, Aroney C, Tesar P, Clarke A, Raffel C, Murdoch D, Platts D, Burstow D, Saireddy R, Bett N, Walters DL. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2014 Nov-Dec;15(8):388-92. doi: 10.1016/j.carrev.2014.10.004. Epub 2014 Oct 29.
24. Mid-Cavity Variant Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy-Magnetic Resonance Imaging Findings. Haran C, McBean R, Incani A, Tollenaere R, Newbigin K. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2018 Apr 6. pii: S0363-0188(18)30058-6. doi: 10.1067/j.cpradiol.2018.04.001. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available. PMID: 29754861.
25. A New Technique of Defining a Crossing Angle in Bicuspid Aortic Valve Stenosis A. Liddicoat, K. Poon, A. Incani Heart, Lung and Circulation, Vol. 26, S197 Published in issue: 2017.View More
Conference Attendance and Presentations
- ACC/i2 2008 Chicago
- 1st World Congress in Controversies in Cardiovascular Medicine Berlin 2008
- ACC/i2 2009 Orlando
- ANZET/CSANZ 2009 Sydney
- Mini Oral Presentation
- ANZET/CSANZ 2010 Adelaide
- CTO Club Meeting 2010 Brisbane
- CTO Club Meeting 2011 Brisbane (organizing committee)
- CTO Club Meeting 2011 Wellington NZ
- Presentation: “Updates on CTO patients from 2010 CTO Meeting”
- ANZET/CSANZ 2011 Perth
- Presentation: “Coronary Interventional Nightmare Session”
- Presentation: “ANZET Fellows Prize Session”
- Poster and Mini-Oral Abstract Presentations
- ANZET CTO Club Meeting 2012 Sydney
- Presentation: “A Case Presentation: Antegrade CTO Technique”
- ANZET/CSANZ 2012 Brisbane
- Presentation: “Coronary TAVI Nightmare Session”
- Live Cases: MitraClip and Edwards Live Case Demonstration
- Poster, Mini-Oral and Oral Abstract Presentations
- CTO Club Meeting 2013 Brisbane – live cases
- CCT club meeting 2015 Brisbane – live cases
- ANZET 2016 – Adelaide
- CSANZ and ANZET 2017 – Perth
- Edwards Fundamentals Training – St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital Brisbane 2017 (lecturer)
- Action Day – QLD chair 2017 and 2018
- EPIC course – speaker 2017, 2018 ; coronary and structural symposia