Dr Dale Murdoch is a general and interventional cardiologist with special interests in structural heart disease intervention, transcatheter heart valves and transformative technology in healthcare.
Dr Murdoch graduated from The University of Queensland with a Bachelor of Science in 2002 (majors in Anatomical and Biomedical Sciences) and a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in 2006. After graduation, he completed his post-graduate training in medicine and cardiology and was awarded a Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (Cardiology) in 2013.
Dr Murdoch completed a fellowship in interventional cardiology at The Prince Charles Hospital, mastering a wide range of invasive cardiology techniques and technologies including advanced coronary physiology testing, intracoronary imaging with IVUS and OCT and contemporary complex coronary intervention and stenting.
Under the mentorship of Prof John Webb MD, Dr Murdoch completed a 2-year fellowship in structural heart disease intervention and transcatheter heart valves at St Paul’s Hospital and University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. He has experience with transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI), transcatheter mitral valve repair and replacement (MitraClip), aortic, mitral, tricuspid and pulmonary valve-in-valve (VIV) procedures, valvuloplasty, ASD/PFO closure, paravalvular leak closure, mechanical circulatory support, amongst other structural heart interventions.
During his time at the Centre for Heart Valve Innovation in Vancouver, Dr Murdoch participated in numerous first-in-human trials of transcatheter technologies and has first-hand experience with new technologies at the forefront of interventional cardiology. With Prof Webb and colleagues, he has recently published the first-in-human experience with a transcatheter mitral valve replacement system, Edwards SAPIEN M3.
Research, science and technology are strong focus for Dr Murdoch, and he has authored 3 book chapters, over 40 peer-reviewed articles and has presented his research at international meetings including ACC and TCT. He has more than 10 years’ experience with multicentre clinical trials across a variety of fields including pharmacology and coronary/structural heart disease medical devices.
Dr Murdoch is a Consultant Interventional Cardiologist at The Prince Charles Hospital and St Vincent’s Hospital Northside in Queensland, Australia and a Senior Lecturer in Medicine at The University of Queensland.
Procedures & Conditions
- General Cardiology
- Coronary Angioplasty and Stenting
- Complex Coronary Intervention (Left Main Stenting, Bifurcation Stenting, Rotational Atherectomy)
- Coronary Physiology Assessment: FFR, iFR, RFR, DFR, CFR, IMR
- Intracoronary Imaging: IVUS, Virtual Histology and OCT
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Mechanical Circulatory Support (IABP, Impella)
- Valve in Valve Procedures (Aortic, Mitral, Tricuspid and Pulmonary)
- Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair (MitraClip)
- Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement
- Tricuspid & Pulmonary Valve-In-Valve (VIV) Procedures
- ASD/PFO Closure
- Paravalvular Leak Cclosure
- Aortic Stenosis
- Bioprosthetic Heart Valve Degeneration
- Mitral Regurgitation
- Mitral Stenosis
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Acute Coronary Syndromes
Interventional CardiologistThe Prince Charles Hospital
Interventional CardiologistSt Vincent's Hospital Northside
Senior Lecturer in MedicineUniversity of Queensland
Fellowship in Structural Heart Disease Intervention & Transcatheter Heart ValvesSt Paul's Hospital & University of British Columbia, Canada
Fellowship in Interventional CardiologyThe Prince Charles Hospital
Fellowship in CardiologyRoyal Australasian College of Physicians 2013
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Associate Member of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ)
Research & Publications
1. Webb JG, Murdoch DJ, Boone RH, Moss R, Attinger-Toller A, Blanke P, Cheung P, Hensey M, Leipsic J, Ong K, Sathananthan J, Wood DA, Ye J, Tartara P. Percutaneous Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement. First-in-human Experience with the Edwards SAPIEN M3 System. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2019: in press.
2. Webb JG, Murdoch DJ, Alu M, Cheung A, Crowley A, Dvir D, Herrmann H, Kodali S, Leipsic J, Miller DC, Pibarot P, Suri R, Wood DA, Leon MB, Mack MJ. Outcomes 3 Years After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation within Degenerated Aortic Surgical Bioprostheses in the PARTNER 2 Valve-in-Valve Registry. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2019: in press.
3. Wood DA, Lauck S, Cairns J, Humphries K, Cook R, Welsh R, Leipsic J, Genereux P, Moss R, Jue J, Blanke P, Cheung A, Ye J, Dvir D, Umedaly H, Klein R, Rondi K, Poulter R, Stub D, Barbanti M, Fahmy P, Htun NM, Murdoch DJ, Prakash R et al. The Vancouver Multidisciplinary, Multimodality, but Minimalist Clinical Pathway Facilitates Safe Next Day Discharge Home at Low, Medium, and High Volume Transfemoral Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Centres: The 3M TAVR Study. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2019: in press.
4. Murdoch DJ, Sathananthan J, Sellers SL, Hensey M, Attinger-Toller A, Alenezi A, Alkhodair A, Blanke P, Leipsic J, Ye J, Cheung A, Wood DA, Lauck S, Webb JG. Valve-in-valve transcatheter aortic valve replacement in intermediate risk patients. Structural Heart. 2019: in press.
5. Murdoch DJ, Sathananthan J, Hensey M, Alu MC, Liu Y, Crowley A, Wood DA, Cheung A, Ye J, Feldman T, Hahn RT, Jaber WA, Mack MJ, Malaisrie SC, Leon MB, Webb JG. Mitral regurgitation in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation for degenerated surgical aortic bioprosthesis: Insights from PARTNER 2 Valve-in-Valve Registry. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2019: in submission.
6. Murdoch DJ, Webb JG. Transcatheter valve-in-valve implantation for degenerated surgical bioprostheses. J Thorac Dis. 2018;10(Suppl 30):S3573-S3577.
7. Murdoch DJ, Webb JG. LAMPOON's European vacation. EuroIntervention. 2018;14(7):736-8.
8. Murdoch D, Fanning JP. Early cerebrovascular events after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: patient- and procedure-specific predictors. J Thorac Dis. 2017;9(3):434-437.
9. Murdoch DJ, Sathananthan J, Cheung A, Webb JG. Combined Transapical Valve-in-Valve/Valve-in-Ring Transcatheter Mitral Valve Implantation and Paravalvular Leak Closure for Failed Mitral Valve Surgery. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2018;34(8):1088.e3-.e6.
10. Webb JG, Murdoch D, Dvir D. Will Transcatheter Replacement Become the New Default Therapy When Bioprosthetic Valves Fail? Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2018;72(4):383-5.
11. Yoon SH, Whisenant BK, Bleiziffer S, Delgado V, Dhoble A, Schofer N, Eschenbach L, Bansal E, Murdoch DJ, Ancona M, et al. Outcomes of transcatheter mitral valve replacement for degenerated bioprostheses, failed annuloplasty rings, and mitral annular calcification. European heart journal. 2018;40(5):441-51.
12. Hensey M, Murdoch DJ, Sathananthan J, Alenezi A, Sathananthan G, Moss R, et al. First-in-human experience of a new-generation transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve for the treatment of severe aortic regurgitation: the J-Valve transfemoral system. EuroIntervention. 2019;14(15):e1553-e5.
13. Sathananthan J, Sellers S, Barlow A, Fraser R, Stanová V, Cheung A, Ye J, Alenezi A, Murdoch DJ et al. Overexpansion of the SAPIEN 3 Transcatheter Heart Valve: An Ex Vivo Bench Study. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2018;11(17):1696-705.
14. Sathananthan J, Murdoch DJ, Lindman BR, Zajarias A, Jaber WA, Cremer P, et al. Implications of Concomitant Tricuspid Regurgitation in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement for Degenerated Surgical Aortic Bioprosthesis. Insights from the PARTNER 2 Aortic Valve-in-Valve Registry. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2018;11(12):1154-60.
15. Sathananthan J, Sellers S, Barlow AM, Stanová V, Fraser R, Toggweiler S, Allen K, Chhatriwalla A, Murdoch DJ et al. Valve-in-Valve Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement and Bioprosthetic Valve Fracture Comparing Different Transcatheter Heart Valve Designs. An Ex Vivo Bench Study. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2019;12(1):65-75.
16. Sathananthan J, Ding L, Yu M, Catlin B, Chan A, Charania J, Cheung A, Cook R, Murdoch DJ, et al. Implications of Transcatheter Heart Valve Selection on Early and Late Pacemaker Rate and on Length of Stay. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2018;34(9):1165-73.
17. Hensey M, Murdoch DJ, Sathananthan J, Wood DA, Webb JG. Impact of chronic kidney disease on decision-making and management in transcatheter aortic valve interventions. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2018: in press.
18. Hensey M, Alenezi AR, Murdoch DJ, Sathananthan J, Weir-McCall JR, Wood D, et al. Transcatheter Tricuspid Valve-in-Valve Replacement with Subsequent Bioprosthetic Valve Fracture to Optimize Hemodynamic Function. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2018;11(21):2226-7.
19. Murdoch D, Shaw E, Raffel OC, Walters DL. Next generation transcatheter aortic valve implantation with the lotus valve system: a repositionable and fully retrievable transcatheter aortic valve prosthesis. Minerva Cardioangiol. 2015:63(4):343-357.
20. Markham R, Murdoch D, Govindasamy J, Raffel C, Walters D. Shirtfront Myocardial Infarction: Traumatic Coronary Plaque Disruption Secondary to a Football Tackle. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2017;26(11):e90-e2.
21. Bell D, Gluer R, Murdoch D. Factors Promoting Survival After Prolonged Resuscitation Attempts: A Case of Survival With Good Neurological Outcome Following 60 Minutes of Downtime After Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2018;27(3):e1-e3.
22. Kyranis SJ, Markham R, Savage M, Crowhurst J, Murdoch D, Poon K, et al. Thrombocytopenia post Transcatheter Aortic Valve Insertion: Clinical and Prognostic Significance. Structural Heart. 2019:1-5.
23. Subban V, Murdoch D, Savage ML, Crowhurst J, Saireddy R, Poon KK, Incani A, Bett JHN, Burstow DJ, Scalia GM, Clarke A, Raffel OC, Aroney CN, Walters DL. Outcomes of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation in High Surgical Risk and Inoperable Patients with Aortic Stenosis – A Single Australian Centre Experience. Internal Medicine Journal. 2016;46(1):42-51.
24. Markham R, Challa A, Kyranis S, Nicolae M, Murdoch D, Savage M, et al. Outcomes Following Melody Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Implantation for Right Ventricular Outflow Tract Dysfunction in Repaired Congenital Heart Disease: First Reported Australian Single Centre Experience. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2017;26(10):1085-93.
25. Heersink D, Murdoch D, Humphries J, Walters D. Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device Implantation After Percutaneous Atrial Septal Defect Closure. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2016;9(10):e95-e96.
26. Subban V, Savage M, Crowhurst J, Robinson B, Poon KK, Incani A, Camuglia A, Murdoch D, Aroney C, Tesar P, Clarke A, Raffel OC, Bett JHN, Walters DL. Assessment of functional significance of coronary artery disease of intederminate severity with fractional flow reserve in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Indian Heart Journal. 2016; in submission.
27. Kyranis S, Markham R, Murdoch D, Walters DL. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation using the Lotus Valve System in severe aortic stenosis in an orthotopic heart transplant patient. International Journal of Cardiology. 2016;207:192-193.
28. Yeaw X, Murdoch D, Wijesekera V, Sedgwick J, Whight C, Pohlner PG, Raffel OC, Walters DL. Comparison of surgical repair and percutaneous stent implantation for native coarctation of the aorta in patients >15 years of age. International Journal of Cardiology. 2015;203:629-631.
29. Crowhurst JA, Poon KK, Murdoch D, Incani A, Raffel OC, Liddicoat A, Walters DL. The effect of X-ray beam distortion on the Edwards Sapien XT trans-catheter aortic valve replacement prosthesis. Journal of Medical Radiation Sciences. 2015;62(4):239-245.
30. Crowhurst JA, Savage M, Subban V, Incani A, Raffel OC, Poon KK, Murdoch D, Saireddy R, Clarke A, Aroney C, Bett N, Walters DL. Factors contributing to acute kidney injury and the impact on mortality in patients undergoing Trans-catheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2016;25(3):282-289.
More publications available upon request.View More