Dr Yishay Orr is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon who specialises in all aspects of adult and paediatric cardiothoracic surgery. She is a VMO Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Westmead Hospital, The Sydney Children’s Hospital Network (Westmead and Randwick), and Westmead Private Hospital.
Dr Orr completed a Bachelor of Medical Science (BScMed), Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) with First Class Honours. Her postgraduate PhD thesis was completed in 2008 at the UNSW and was titled “Circulating neutrophil activation and recruitment during the systemic inflammatory response to cardiac surgery with extracorporeal circulation.”
Dr Orr’s cardiothoracic and heart and lung transplantation training was completed at the Royal Perth Hospital and St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney. Following this, she completed further postgraduate fellowship training in paediatric cardiac surgery at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead and worked as a Faculty Instructor in Congenital Heart Surgery at Texas Children’s Hospital, in Houston, Texas, USA.
Dr Orr is a Supervisor of UNSW Independent Learning Project (ILP) for medical student research projects and clinical research projects undertaken by surgical fellows and registrars at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead. Dr Orr is also a paediatric cardiothoracic surgeon with Open Heart International, having travelled to the South Pacific, East Africa, East Asia and India providing paediatric cardiothoracic care to those in need. Similarly, she volunteers for the UK based humanitarian organization known as ‘Healing Little Hearts’ which travels predominantly to India.
Procedures & Conditions
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG)
- Mitral and Aortic Valve Repair and Replacement
- Surgical Treatment of Aortic Aneurysms and Dissections
- Complex Aortic Surgery
- Video-assisted Thorascopic Surgery (VATS)
- Lung Biopsy
- Pleural Biopsy
- Lung Resection
- Mediastinal Biopsy
- Lung Surgery
- Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Drainage (TAPVD)
- Thoracic Anatomy
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Valvular Insufficiency (Leaking or Regurgitation)
- Valvular Stenosis
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Lung Cancer
- Pleural Effusion
- Pleural Mesothelioma
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD)
- Atrioventricular Septal Defects (AVSD)
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Single Ventricle Abnormalities
- Transposition of the Great Arteries (TGA)
- Truncus Arteriosus
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonWestmead Hospital 2014 - Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonWestmead Private Hospital Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonThe Children's Hospital at Westmead 2014 - Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonSydney Children's Hospital, Randwick 2015 - Present
Supervisor of Surgical Education and Training (Cardiothoracic Surgery)The Children's Hospital at Westmead 2015 - Present
Honorary VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonWestmead Hospital 2012 - 2013
VMO Cardiothoracic Transplant SurgeronSt Vincent's Hospital, Sydney 2011 - 2013
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
Member of the World Society for Paediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
Member of International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation
Member of Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
The Sugerman Prize in Clinical Pathology
The Combined Teaching Hospitals Senior Staff Prize
Intern of the Year, Liverpool Hospital RMO Association
Peter King Foundation Research Scholarship, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Research Foundation Grant
2004 - 2005
NHMRC Medical and Dental Scholarship
2004 - 2005
Sir Roy McCaughey Surgical Research Scholarship, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
University of NSW School of Medical Sciences Research Day Merck Sharp & Dohme Poster Award
Cardiac Society of Australia & New Zealand Ralph Reader Clinical Prize
School of Medical Sciences, The University of New South Wales PhD Prize
St Jude Award for Outstanding Presentation at Annual Cardiothoracic Training Session
Paper of the Month, School of Medical Sciences, The University of New South Wales
Edwards Lifesciences Travelling Scholarship
Australian Medical Association Doctor-in-Training of the Year Award
Research & Publications
1. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L. Circulating CD10-/CD16low neutrophils provide a quantitative index of active bone marrow neutrophil release. British Journal of Haematology 2005; 131(4): 508-519
2. Orr Y, Wilson DP, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Davenport MP, Kritharides L. A kinetic model of bone marrow neutrophil production which characterizes late phenotypic maturation. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2007; Apr; 292(4): R1707-16; first published 2006 Dec 21; [Epub ahead of print]
3. Orr Y, Cartland S, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L. Conformational activation of CD11b without shedding of L-selectin on circulating human neutrophils. Journal of Leukocyte Biology Nov 2007; 82(5): 1115-25; first published 2007 Aug 3;
[Epub ahead of print]
4. Orr Y, Leclair K, Jacobe S, Badawi N, Nicholson IA, Chard RB, Sholler GF, Winlaw DS. Early outcomes from a new regional programme for the surgical management of hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Australia and NZ Journal of Surgery 2015 Jun; 85(6): 466-71. doi: 10.1111/ans.12103. Epub 2013 Feb 19
5. Watson AJ, Gao L, Sun L, Tsun J, Doyle A, Faddy SC, Jabbour A, Orr Y, Dhital K, Hicks M, Jansz PC, Macdonald PS. Enhanced Preservation of Pig Cardiac Allografts by Combining Erythropoietin With Glyceryl Trinitrate and Zoniporide. American Journal of Transplantation 2013 Jul;13(7):1676-87. doi: 10.1111/ajt.12249. Epub 2013 May 13
6. Orr Y, Jeewa A, McGarry M, McKenzie ED, Adachi I. Upsizing of a Berlin Heart Excor® paediatric LVAD to achieve adequate flow requirement. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2013 Aug; 32(8): 845-6. doi: 10.1016/ j.healun.2013.05.008. Epub 2013 May 31
7. Shah KB, Kwakkel-van Erp JM, Migliore C, Orr Y, Corris PA, Glanville AR, Slaughter MS, West LJ, Mehra MR. Scientific progress in heart and lung failure, mechanical circulatory support, and transplantation: Highlights from the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2014 Mar; 33(3): 223-8. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2013.11.011. Epub 2013 Dec 4.
8. Orr Y, Chard RB. Tailored strategies for staged management of complex congenital cardiac lesions. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2014 April; 97(4): 1436–8. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.06.108.
9. Orr Y. Overview of Paediatric Heart-Lung Transplantation: A global perspective. Journal of Thoracic Disease 2014 Aug; 6(8): 115963. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2014.07.25
10. Guzman-Pruneda FA, Orr Y, Trost JG, Zhang W, Das S, Melicoff E, Maddox J, Nugent M, Mery CM, Adachi I, Schecter MG, Mallory GB, Morales DL, Heinle JS, McKenzie ED. Bronchial Artery Revascularization and En Bloc Lung Transplant in Children. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2016 Jan; 35(1): 122-9. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2015.08.010.
11. Fonoudi H, Ansari H, Abbasalizadeh S, Larijani MR, Kiani S, Hashemizadeh S, Zarchi AS, Bosman A, Blue GM, Pahlavan S, Perry M, Orr Y, Mayorchak Y, Vandenberg J, Talkhabi M, Winlaw DS, Harvey RP, Aghdami N, Baharvand H. A Universal and Robust Integrated Platform for the Scalable Production of Human Cardiomyocytes From Pluripotent Stem Cells. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 2015 Dec;4(12):1482-94. doi: 10.5966/sctm.2014-0275.
12. Davies RA, Bandara TD, Perera NK, Orr Y. Do rapid deployment aortic valves improve outcomes compared with surgical aortic valve replacement? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2016 Nov;23(5):814-820.
13. Qian P, Orr Y, Davis L. An Unusual Cause of Localised ST Elevation following Insertion of a Permanent Pacemaker. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2016 Oct;25(10):e140-2. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2016.02.017
14. Brown K, Dunne B, Festa M, La Hei E, Karpelowsky J, Dando H and Orr Y. Successful 2,000-Kilometer International Transfer of an Infant Receiving Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Severe Respiratory Failure. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2016; 102(2): e131-3. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2016.01.037
15. Davies RA, Perera NK, Orr Y. Do novel anticoagulant agents increase the risk of perioperative complications during implantable cardiac rhythm device insertion? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2017 Jan; 24(1): 126-128. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivw282
16. Gnanappa GK, Laohachai K, Orr Y, Ayer J. Isolated Anomalous Origin of Left Pulmonary Artery From the Descending Aorta: An Embryologic Ambiguity. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2016 Nov; 102(5): e439-e441. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2016.04.089.
17. Marathe SP, Jones MI, Ayer J, Sun J, Orr Y, Verrall C, Nicholson IA, Chard RB, Sholler GF, Winlaw DS. Congenitally corrected transposition: complex anatomic repair or Fontan pathway? Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals. 2017 Jul; 25(6): 432-439. doi: 10.1177/0218492317717412. Epub 2017 Jun 13.
18. Luxford JC, Arora N, Ayer JG, Verrall CE, Cole AD, Orr Y, d’Udekem Y, Sholler GF, Winlaw DS. Neonatal Ebstein Anomaly: A 30-year Institutional Review. Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2017 Summer; 29(2): 206-212. doi:10.1053/j.semtcvs.2017.01.012. Epub 2017 Feb 22.
19. Marathe SP, Naganur SH, Menon S, Orr Y, Cooper SG, Winlaw DS. An Unusual Combination of Truncus Arteriosus, Interrupted Aortic Arch, and Hypoplastic Left Ventricle. World Journal of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. 2017 Jan 1:2150135117716886. doi: 10.1177/2150135117716886.
20. Fong LS, Winlaw DS, Orr Y. Is the modified single-patch repair superior to the double-patch repair of complete atrioventricular septal defects? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2019 Mar 1; 28(3): 427-431. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivy261.
21. Krishna MR, Marathe SP, Maghsoudi A, McCowage G, Sherwood MC, Orr Y. Emergency Ross Procedure for Pediatric Aortic Valve Myxofibrosarcoma. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2019 Mar; 107(3): e183-e185. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2018.07.060. Epub 2018 Sep 25.
22. Mater K, Ayer J, Nicholson I, Winlaw D, Chard R, Orr Y. Patient-Specific Approach to Mitral Valve Replacement in Infants Weighing 10 kilograms or less. World Journal of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. 2019 May;10(3):304-312. doi: 10.1177/2150135119837200.
23. Fong LS, Betts K, Kannekanti R, Ayer J, Winlaw DS, Orr Y. Modified-Single Patch vs Double Patch Repair of Complete Atrioventricular Septal Defects. Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2019 Jul 12. pii: S1043-0679(19)30187-X. doi: 10.1053/j.semtcvs.2019.07.004. [Epub ahead of print]
24. Salve GG, Datar GM, Perumal G, Singh AAV, Ayer JG, Roberts P, Sholler GF, Cole AD, Pigott N, Loughran-Fowlds A, Weatherall A, Alahakoon TI, Orr Y, Nicholson IA, Winlaw DS. Impact of High-Risk Characteristics in Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. World Journal of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. 2019 Jul;10(4):475-484. doi: 10.1177/2150135119852319.
25. Verrall CE, Walker K, Loughran-Fowlds A, Prelog K, Goetti R, Troedson C, Ayer J, Egan J, Halliday R, Orr Y, Sholler GF, Badawi N, Winlaw DS. Contemporary incidence of stroke (focal infarct and/or haemorrhage) determined by neuroimaging and neurodevelopmental disability at 12 months of age in neonates undergoing cardiac surgery utilizing cardiopulmonary bypass. Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2018 Apr 1;26(4):644-650. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivx375.
26. Fong LS, Betts K, Bell D, Konstantinov IE, Nicholson IA, Winlaw DS, Orr Y; Australian CAVSD Study Group. Complete atrioventricular septal defect repair in Australia: Results over 25 years. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2019 Aug 30. pii: S0022-5223(19)31692-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2019.08.005. [Epub ahead of print]View More
- Invited speaker: Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) 2015 Melbourne, Australia August 2015: “The NSW Paediatric Heartware experience”
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, San Diego, California, USA. 2014. Technique for Pediatric En Bloc Lung Transplantation with Bronchial Artery Revascularization. Orr Y, Mery C, Adachi I, Heinle JS & McKenzie ED
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, San Diego, California, USA. 2014. Outcome of Pediatric Heart Transplantation Has Continued to Improve Over the Last Three Decades: Impact of Mechanical Circulatory Support. Adachi I, Guzman-Pruneda F, Heinle JS, McKenzie ED, Mery CM, Orr Y, Jeewa A, Cabrera AG, Price JF, Denfield SW, Dreyer WJ, Fraser CD
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, San Diego, California, USA. 2014. Awake Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation as a Bridge to Lung Transplant in a Toddler. A Case Report. Gazzaneo MC, Portillo E, Mallory G, Orr Y, Heinle JS, McKenzie ED, Nugent M.
- Invited speaker: International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) Montreal, Canada April 2013: “The year in a capsule: JHLT at ISHLT: Highlights of issues related to children”
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, Prague, Czech Republic April. 2012. 100% 3-Year survival after extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) bridge to lung transplantation. Connellan M, Orr Y, Pye R, Granger E, Dhital K, Soto C, Malouf MA, Spratt P, Glanville AR & Jansz P
- Invited speaker: Perfusion Downunder Uluru, Australia October 2012: “ECMO and VAD: A bridge to transplantation”
- 5th World Congress of Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery Cairns, QLD 21-26 June 2009. Right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction using the Freestyle porcine aortic root stentless bioprosthesis in adult and paediatric patients. Orr Y, Bullock A, Andrews DR.
- Annual Scientific meeting of the Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Cairns 27th-29th October, 2007: Differential systemic chemokine release distinguishes the acute inflammatory response to coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L.
- Finalist in Ralph Reader Prize Clinical Category; Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting 5th August, 2006: Conformational activation of neutrophil CD11b without L-selectin shedding – a novel pro-adhesive neutrophil phenotype identified during coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L.
- National Heart Foundation Annual Scientific Meeting March 2006. Neutrophil activation and recruitment from the bone marrow are differentially regulated by operative stimuli during extracorporeal circulation. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting 4-6th August, 2006. Cardiac surgery abbreviates post-mitotic maturation of neutrophils during stimulation of bone marrow neutrophil release. Orr Y, Wilson DP, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Davenport MP, Kritharides L
- Surgical Research Society of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting 14th May 2006: Re-evaluation of the extent of neutrophil activation associated with cardiac surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L.
- The XXth Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis 6-12th August 2005. Sydney, Australia. P1146, Vascular Biology; Adhesion Receptors. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2005; Vol 3, Suppl. 1: P1146: Heparin selectively inhibits CD11b high affinity neo-epitope expression in vivo during coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- 7th World Congress on Inflammation: Inflammation 2005, the Key to Much Pathology. 20-24th August 2005. Melbourne, Australia: Inflammation Research Aug 2005; 54 (Suppl. 2): S152: Monocyte chemokine release during the acute inflammatory response to coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- Inflammation Research Aug 2005; 54 (Suppl. 2): S131: Bone marrow neutrophil mobilization in response to re-warming and reperfusion following cardiac surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- Annual Scientific meeting of the Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Noosa 22nd-24th October, 2004: Bone marrow neutrophil release in response to cardiothoracic surgical trauma in humans. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L.
- Annual Scientific meeting of the Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Noosa October 2002: Transthoracic Impedance and Cardiac Surgery: the implications for defibrillation. Orr Y, Penney D, Bannon P and Parr M.