Dr Peter Fahmy is a General Cardiologist with sub-specialty training in Interventional and Structural Cardiology. Dr Fahmy’s rooms are at Norwest Private Hospital in Bella Vista, Sydney and Katoomba in the Blue Mountains in Greater Western Sydney.
Dr Peter Fahmy’s medical career started when he enrolled at Otago University, New Zealand (established in 1869) and entered the medical school of Otago graduating in 2004.
He moved to Australia in 2007 to continue his medical career in cardiology, where he completed his internal medicine training at Westmead Hospital (Sydney) then speciality training in Cardiology at Monash Heart (Melbourne).
Dr Peter Fahmy undertook a PhD in gene therapy at the University of Sydney and was always drawn to interventional cardiology.
He travelled to Vancouver Canada to undertake a Fellowship in Interventional and Structural Cardiology at Vancouver General and St Paul’s Hospitals, one of the most innovative and prestigious academic institutions. Dr Fahmy trained under the favourable direction of Professor John Webb, the pioneer for percutaneous transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) and Professor Jacqueline Saw, a world leader in spontaneous coronary dissection and left atrial appendage closures.
Dr Fahmy is the team leader of the Norwest Private Hospital Heart Team involved in setting up the transcatheter aortic valve replacement program at Norwest Hospital.
Procedures & Conditions
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Coronary Stenting
- Cardiac Catheterisation
- Coronary Angiography
- Aortic Stenosis
- General Cardiology
- Heart Failure
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Myocardial Infarction
- Angina Pectoris
Interventional & Structural CardiologistBlacktown Hospital 2017-Present
Interventional & Structural CardiologistWestmead Public Hospital 2016-Present
Interventional & Structural Cardiology FellowVancouver General Hospital & St Paul's Hospital 2014-2016
Conjoint LecturerUniversity of Western Sydney 2013-Present
Consultant Locum CardiologistBlacktown & Mt Druitt Hospital 2012-2014
Consultant CardiologistPrivate Practice, Sydney Australia 2012-2014
Honorary FellowWestmead Hospital 2011-2012
Fellow - CardiologyRoyal Australasian College of Physicians 2011-Present
PhD StudentUniversity of Sydney 2011-2015
Cardiology Advanced TraineeMonash Medical Centre & Dandenong Hospital 2009-2011
FRACPRoyal College of Physicians 2008
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Affiliate member of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Postgraduate Committee member for the University of Sydney
International Taoist Church of Canada Award in Humanitarianism by the University of British Columbia
CSANZ travelling scholarship to attend CSANZ 2012
Westmead Association research travelling grant to attend CSANZ 2011
Young Cardiologist award by ESC/CSANZ
Australian Postgraduate Award for my PhD in Cardiology
Westmead Millennium Institute top up grant for my PhD in Cardiology
University Bookshop Prize in Pre-clinical Neurology
Research & Publications
1. David A Wood MD, Sandra B Lauck PhD, John Cairns MD, Karin H Humphries DSc, Richard Cook MD, Robert Welsh MD, Jonathon Leipsic MD, Philippe Genereux MD, Robert Moss MBBS, John Jue MD, Philipp Blanke MD, Anson Cheung MD, Jian Ye MD, Danny Dvir MD, Hamed Umedaly MD, Rael Klein MD, Kevin Rondi MD, Rohan Poulter MD, Dion Stub MD PhD, Marco Barbanti MD, Peter Fahmy MBBS, Nah Htun MBBS, Dale Murdoch MBBS, Roshan Prakash MBBS, Madeleine Barker MD, Kevin Nickel MD, Jay Thakkar MBBS, Janar Sathananthan MBBS, Ben Tyrell MD, Faisal al-Qoofi MD, James Velianou MD, Madhu Natarajan MD, Harindra Wijeysundera MD, Sam Radhakrishnan MD, Eric Horlick MD, Mark Osten MD, Christopher Buller MD, Mark Peterson MD, Anita Asgar MD, Donald Palisaitis MD, Jean-Bernard Masson MD, Susheel Kodali MD, Tamin Nazif MD, Vinod Thourani MD, Vasilis Babaliaros MD, David J Cohen MD, Julie E Park MMath, Martin B Leon MD, and John G Webb MD “The Vancouver Multidisciplinary, Multimodality, but Minimalist Clinical Pathway Facilitates Safe Next Day Discharge Home at Low, Medium, and High Volume Transfemoral Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Centres: The 3M TAVR Study” JACC Cardiovascular Intervention – Accepted July 2018 with edits….
2. Nathan W Brunner MD, Su Fei Yue BSc, Dion Stub MD, Jian Ye MD, Anson Cheung MD, Jonathon Leipsic MD, Sandra Lauck PhD, Daniel Dvir MD, Gidon Perlman MD, Nay Htun MD, Peter Fahmy, MD, Roshan Prakash MD, Lim Eng MD, John A Cairns MD, John G Webb MD, and David A Wood MD. “The Prognostic Importance of the Diastolic Pulmonary Gradient, Transpulmonary Gradient, and Pulmonary Vascular Resistance in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement”. Catheterisation and Cardiovascular Interventions. March 2017
3. Ajita Kanthan, Peter Fahmy, Renuka Rao, Jim Pouliopoulos, Ian E Alexander, Sturat P. Thomas, Eddy Kizana. “Human Connexin40 Mutations Slow Conduction and Increase Propensity for Atrial Fibrillation”. Heart, Lung and Circulation. March 2017. DOI: 10/1016/j.hlc.2017.02.010
4. Jacqueline Saw, MD, Peter Fahmy, MBChB, Lorenzo Azzalini, MD, Jean-Francois Marquis, MD, Benjamin Hibbert, MD, Carlos Morillo, MD, Aldo Carrizo, MD, Reda Ibrahim, MD. “Early Canadian Multi-Center Experience with WATCHMAN for Percutaneous Left Atrial Appendage Closure.” Jan 2017. Journal of Cardiac Electrophysiology
5. Peter Fahmy, Lim Eng, Jaqueline Saw. “Retrieval of Embolized Left Atrial Appendage Devices”. Accepted September 2016. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions
6. Peter Fahmy, Roshan Prakash, Andrew Starovoytov, Robert Boone, Jacqueline Saw. “Predisposing and Precipitating Factors in Men with Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection” JACC Cardiovascular Intervention. 2016;9(8):866-868
7. P Fahmy, R Spencer, M Tsang, P Gooderham, J Saw. “Left Atrial Appendage Closure for Atrial Fibrillation is Safe and Effective Following Intracranial or Intraocular Hemorrhage”. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2016 Mar;32(3):349-54
8. Fahmy P, Saw J. “Stroke Prevention with Percutaneous Left Atrial Appendage Closure: Review Article”. Clinical Medicine Insights – Therapeutics. February 2016. DOI: 10.4137/CMT.S18886
9. R Spencer, P DeJong, P Fahmy, M Lempereur, M. Tsang, KG Gin, Jue, J Saw. “Changes in left atrial appendage dimensions following volume loading during percutaneous left atrial appendage closure”. JACC Intervention. 2015;66(15_S)
10. Saw J, Fahmy P, DeJong P, Lempereur M, Spencer R, Tsang M, Gin K, Jue J, Mayo J, McLaughlin P. “Cardiac CT angiography for device surveillance after endovascular left atrial appendage closure” European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Imaging. 2015 Nov;16(11):1198-206
11. M Lempereur, N Bogale, P Fahmy, I Shiekh, A Starovoytov, E Aymong, R Boone, S Robinson, J Charania, R Townley, C Thompson, A Kmetic, L Ding, A Fung. “Clinical Characteristics, Angiographic Findings, and One-Year Outcome of 101 Consecutive Stent Thrombosis Cases in British Columbia”. Cardiovascular Revascularisation Medicine Journal – March 2016 (Volume 17/ Issue 2 p74-80).
12. Jacqueline Saw, Peter Fahmy, Ryan Spencer, Roshan Prakash, Patrick McLaughlin, Savvas Nicolaou, Michael Tsang. “Comparing Measurements of CT Angiography, TEE, and Fluoroscopy of the Left Atrial Appendage for Percutaneous Closure”. Journal of Cardiac Electrophysiology – 2016 Apr;27(4):414-22.
13. NW Brunner, KC Harris, P Fahmy, J Saw, DA Wood, AY Fung. “Evaluation of Structural Changes in the Pulmonary Arteries by Optical Coherence Tomography in Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension” The Canadian Journal of Cardiology. (2015) 31(10):s26.
14. S.B. Lauck, D.A. Wood, L. Achtem, R.H. Boone, A. Cheung, D. Dvir, R.C. Cook, P. Fahmy, M. Lempereur, I. Shiekh, D. Stub, J. Tan, J. Ye, J.G. Webb “Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Program Development: Risk Stratification and Clinical Pathways to Optimise Length of Stay ” The Canadian Journal of Cardiology 10/2014; 30(10):S170.
15. J Pouliopoulos, W Chik, A Kanthan, G Sivagangabalan, M Barry, C Midekin, P NA Fahmy, C Midekin, J Lu, E Kizana, S Thomas, A Thiagalingam, P Kovoora. (2013).“Intramyocardial adiposity post-myocardial infarction: New implications of a substrate for ventricular tachycardia”. Circulation 2013 Nov 19;128(21):2296-308
16. Raval J, Nagaraja V, Fahmy PNA, Denniss AR. Type A Dissection Presenting as a Double Aortic Valve. Online J Health Allied Scs.2013;12(3):8.
- “Interesting Case: Psuedoaneurysm Coiling” 23rd Montreal Live Interventional Symposium, 2014.
- “Connexin 45 over-expression” Children Medical Research Institute at Westmead Children Hospital, 2012.
- “The Effects of Connexin45 Over-Expression on Cardiac Physiology in the Intact Animal” – Oral Presentation at CSANZ 2012.
- “The Effects of Connexin45 Over-Expression on Cardiac Physiology in the Intact Animal” – Oral presentation at AHA 2012.
- “Antiplatelet therapy” Interventional Meeting Presentation at Monash Medical Centre, 2010.
- “Non-Invasive Assessment of Chest Pain” Grand Round Presentation at Monash Medical Centre, 2009.
- “An Unusual Presentation” Case Presentation at Medical Grand Rounds at Orange Hospital, 2008.
- “My Legs have Gone to Sleep” Case Presentation at Medical Grand Rounds at Westmead Hospital, 2007.
- Involved and Co-authored a Project and presented for the Department of Preventive and Social at Otago Medical School – “Assessing the Burden of Arthritis in New Zealand: a Feasibility Study” 2004.