Dr Peter Fahmy’s medical career started when he enrolled at Otago University, New Zealand (established in 1869) and entered the medical school of Otago graduating in 2004.
He moved to Australia in 2007 to continue his medical career in cardiology, where he completed his internal medicine training at Westmead Hospital (Sydney) then speciality training in Cardiology at Monash Heart (Melbourne).
Dr Peter Fahmy undertook a PhD in gene therapy at the University of Sydney and was always drawn to interventional cardiology.
He travelled to Vancouver Canada to undertake a Fellowship in Interventional and Structural Cardiology at Vancouver General and St Paul’s Hospitals, one of the most innovative and prestigious academic institutions. Dr Fahmy trained under the favourable direction of Professor John Webb, the Pioneer for percutaneous transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) and Professor Jacqueline Saw, a world leader in spontaneous coronary dissection and left atrial appendage closures.
Dr Fahmy is the team leader of the Norwest Private Hospital Heart Team involved in setting up the transcatheter aortic valve replacement program at Norwest Hospital.
For more information on Dr Peter Fahmy or to make an appointment, visit his website here.
1. David A Wood MD, Sandra B Lauck PhD, John Cairns MD, Karin H Humphries DSc, Richard Cook MD, Robert Welsh MD, Jonathon Leipsic MD, Philippe Genereux MD, Robert Moss MBBS, John Jue MD, Philipp Blanke MD, Anson Cheung MD, Jian Ye MD, Danny Dvir MD, Hamed Umedaly MD, Rael Klein MD, Kevin Rondi MD, Rohan Poulter MD, Dion Stub MD PhD, Marco Barbanti MD, Peter Fahmy MBBS, Nah Htun MBBS, Dale Murdoch MBBS, Roshan Prakash MBBS, Madeleine Barker MD, Kevin Nickel MD, Jay Thakkar MBBS, Janar Sathananthan MBBS, Ben Tyrell MD, Faisal al-Qoofi MD, James Velianou MD, Madhu Natarajan MD, Harindra Wijeysundera MD, Sam Radhakrishnan MD, Eric Horlick MD, Mark Osten MD, Christopher Buller MD, Mark Peterson MD, Anita Asgar MD, Donald Palisaitis MD, Jean-Bernard Masson MD, Susheel Kodali MD, Tamin Nazif MD, Vinod Thourani MD, Vasilis Babaliaros MD, David J Cohen MD, Julie E Park MMath, Martin B Leon MD, and John G Webb MD “The Vancouver Multidisciplinary, Multimodality, but Minimalist Clinical Pathway Facilitates Safe Next Day Discharge Home at Low, Medium, and High Volume Transfemoral Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Centres: The 3M TAVR Study” JACC Cardiovascular Intervention – Accepted July 2018 with edits….
2. Nathan W Brunner MD, Su Fei Yue BSc, Dion Stub MD, Jian Ye MD, Anson Cheung MD, Jonathon Leipsic MD, Sandra Lauck PhD, Daniel Dvir MD, Gidon Perlman MD, Nay Htun MD, Peter Fahmy, MD, Roshan Prakash MD, Lim Eng MD, John A Cairns MD, John G Webb MD, and David A Wood MD. “The Prognostic Importance of the Diastolic Pulmonary Gradient, Transpulmonary Gradient, and Pulmonary Vascular Resistance in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement”. Catheterisation and Cardiovascular Interventions. March 2017
3. Ajita Kanthan, Peter Fahmy, Renuka Rao, Jim Pouliopoulos, Ian E Alexander, Sturat P. Thomas, Eddy Kizana. “Human Connexin40 Mutations Slow Conduction and Increase Propensity for Atrial Fibrillation”. Heart, Lung and Circulation. March 2017. DOI: 10/1016/j.hlc.2017.02.010
4. Jacqueline Saw, MD, Peter Fahmy, MBChB, Lorenzo Azzalini, MD, Jean-Francois Marquis, MD, Benjamin Hibbert, MD, Carlos Morillo, MD, Aldo Carrizo, MD, Reda Ibrahim, MD. “Early Canadian Multi-Center Experience with WATCHMAN for Percutaneous Left Atrial Appendage Closure.” Jan 2017. Journal of Cardiac Electrophysiology
5. Peter Fahmy, Lim Eng, Jaqueline Saw. “Retrieval of Embolized Left Atrial Appendage Devices”. Accepted September 2016. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions
6. Peter Fahmy, Roshan Prakash, Andrew Starovoytov, Robert Boone, Jacqueline Saw. “Predisposing and Precipitating Factors in Men with Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection” JACC Cardiovascular Intervention. 2016;9(8):866-868
7. P Fahmy, R Spencer, M Tsang, P Gooderham, J Saw. “Left Atrial Appendage Closure for Atrial Fibrillation is Safe and Effective Following Intracranial or Intraocular Hemorrhage”. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2016 Mar;32(3):349-54
8. Fahmy P, Saw J. “Stroke Prevention with Percutaneous Left Atrial Appendage Closure: Review Article”. Clinical Medicine Insights – Therapeutics. February 2016. DOI: 10.4137/CMT.S18886
9. R Spencer, P DeJong, P Fahmy, M Lempereur, M. Tsang, KG Gin, Jue, J Saw. “Changes in left atrial appendage dimensions following volume loading during percutaneous left atrial appendage closure”. JACC Intervention. 2015;66(15_S)
10. Saw J, Fahmy P, DeJong P, Lempereur M, Spencer R, Tsang M, Gin K, Jue J, Mayo J, McLaughlin P. “Cardiac CT angiography for device surveillance after endovascular left atrial appendage closure” European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Imaging. 2015 Nov;16(11):1198-206
11. M Lempereur, N Bogale, P Fahmy, I Shiekh, A Starovoytov, E Aymong, R Boone, S Robinson, J Charania, R Townley, C Thompson, A Kmetic, L Ding, A Fung. “Clinical Characteristics, Angiographic Findings, and One-Year Outcome of 101 Consecutive Stent Thrombosis Cases in British Columbia”. Cardiovascular Revascularisation Medicine Journal – March 2016 (Volume 17/ Issue 2 p74-80).
12. Jacqueline Saw, Peter Fahmy, Ryan Spencer, Roshan Prakash, Patrick McLaughlin, Savvas Nicolaou, Michael Tsang. “Comparing Measurements of CT Angiography, TEE, and Fluoroscopy of the Left Atrial Appendage for Percutaneous Closure”. Journal of Cardiac Electrophysiology – 2016 Apr;27(4):414-22.
13. NW Brunner, KC Harris, P Fahmy, J Saw, DA Wood, AY Fung. “Evaluation of Structural Changes in the Pulmonary Arteries by Optical Coherence Tomography in Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension” The Canadian Journal of Cardiology. (2015) 31(10):s26.
14. S.B. Lauck, D.A. Wood, L. Achtem, R.H. Boone, A. Cheung, D. Dvir, R.C. Cook, P. Fahmy, M. Lempereur, I. Shiekh, D. Stub, J. Tan, J. Ye, J.G. Webb “Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Program Development: Risk Stratification and Clinical Pathways to Optimise Length of Stay ” The Canadian Journal of Cardiology 10/2014; 30(10):S170.
15. J Pouliopoulos, W Chik, A Kanthan, G Sivagangabalan, M Barry, C Midekin, P NA Fahmy, C Midekin, J Lu, E Kizana, S Thomas, A Thiagalingam, P Kovoora. (2013).“Intramyocardial adiposity post-myocardial infarction: New implications of a substrate for ventricular tachycardia”. Circulation 2013 Nov 19;128(21):2296-308
16. Raval J, Nagaraja V, Fahmy PNA, Denniss AR. Type A Dissection Presenting as a Double Aortic Valve. Online J Health Allied Scs.2013;12(3):8.