Professor Michael Vallely is a leading cardiothoracic surgeon with clinical appointments at Royal Prince Alfred, Concord, Strathfield Private, Macquarie University and Southern Highlands Private Hospitals (Bowral). Professor Vallely has a special interest in elderly and high-risk patients with multiple medical issues and minimally invasive heart and lung surgery. He holds Clinical Professorships at The University of Sydney and Macquarie University. He is a member of the board for The Baird Institute for Applied Heart and Lung Surgical Research and of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Cardiothoracic Board. He is the leader of the Baird Institute’s Innovative Heart Surgery Research Group and supervises a clinical and basic research team of Honours, Masters and Doctoral students and is a member of the board of the Royal Prince Alfred Institute for Academic Surgery.
Professor Vallely graduated from The University of Sydney in 1995, completed a PhD from the same institution in 2005 and was awarded an FRACS (CTh) in 2007. He was the Professorial Fellow at The Royal Brompton Hospital, London, in 2007-08 and was appointed as a cardiothoracic surgeon at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney in 2008.
Professor Vallely has clinical and academic interests in minimising the invasiveness of cardiothoracic surgery and is a world authority on total arterial, anaortic, off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery. He also has interests in minimally invasive cardiac surgery (MICS and Da Vinci robotic surgery), transcatheter (TAVI and Mitra-Clip) cardiac surgery, thoracic aortic surgery, geriatric cardiac surgery and hybrid procedures including the use of ECMO. Professor Vallely has a special interest in electrophysiological (pacemakers, defibrillators and CRT) devices and performs more than 250 implants per year. He has presented extensively at national and international conferences and authored or co-authored more than 80 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals.
1. Gaudino M, Angiolillo DJ, Di Franco A, Capodanno D, Bakaeen F, Farkouh ME, Fremes SE, Holmes D, Girardi LN, Nakamura S, Head S, Seung-Jung P, Mack M, Serruys PW,
Ruel M, Stone GW< Tam D, Vallely M, Taggart M. Peri-procedural stroke in CABG and PCI: incidence, pathogenesis and outcomes. In Press. Journal of The American College
of Cardiology. December 2018.
2. Vallely MP, Seco M, Zhao DF, Wilson MK. Optimizing coronary artery bypass grafting with state-of-the art surgical coronary revascularisation. In Press. Journal of The
American College of Cardiology. December 2018.
3. Zhao DF, Edelman JJ, Seco M, Bannon PG, Vallely MP. Stroke risk following anaortic off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting versus percutaneous intervention: A network
meta-analysis. Accepted for Publication. J Am Coll Cardiol. August 2018.
4. Gaudino M, Angelini GD, Charalambos A, Bakeen F, Benedetto U, Calafiore AM, Di Mauro M, Fremes SE, Girardi LN, Glineur D, Grau J, He GW, Patrono C, Puskas JD,
Ruel M, Schwann TA, Tam DY, Tatoulis J, Tranbaugh R, Vallely MP, Zenati MA, Mack M, Taggart DP (ATLANTIC Group). Off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: 30 years
of debate. In Press. Journal of The American Heart Association. July 2018.
5. Gaudino M, Bakeen F, Davierwala P, Di Franco A, Fremes SE, Patel N, Puskas JD, Ruel M, Torregrossa G, Vallely MP, Taggart DP (ATLANTIC Group). New strategies for surgical myocardial revascularisation. Accepted for Publication. Circulation. July 2018.
6. Ramponi F, Forrest P, Vallely M. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation support in refractory perioperative anaphylactic shock to Rocuronium: a report of two
cases. Submitted for Publication. Perfusion. June 2018.
7. Gaudino M, Rahouma M, Abouarab A, Tam DY, Di Franco A, Leonard J, Benedetto U, Iannaccone M, D’Ascenzo F, Biondi-Zoccai G, Vallely M, Girardi LN, Fremes SE, Taggart DP. Contemporary treatments for multivessel coronary disease: A pairwise and network meta-analysis on drug eluting stents versus single and multi-arterial coronary artery bypass. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2018 Sep 13 [Epub ahead of print].
8. Ramponi F, Seco M, Edelman JJB, Sherrah AG, Bannon PG, Brereton RJL, Wilson MK, Vallely MP. Dual in-flow, total-arterial, anaortic off-pump coronary bypass: How to do it.
The Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery. 2018 Jul;7(4):552-560.
9. Zhao DF, Edelman JJ, Seco M, Bannon PG, Vallely MP. Long-term outcomes following
off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: Fixed-effects versus random-effects models. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018 Jul 17;72(3):345-347.
10. Zhu YY, Seco M, Harris S, Koullouros M, Ramponi F, Wilson MK, Bannon PG, Vallely MP. Bilateral versus single internal mammary artery use in coronary artery bypass
grafting: a propensity matched analysis. In Press. Heart, Lung and Circulation. May 2018.
11. Aneman A, Brechot N, Brodie D, Colreavy F, Gomersall C, McCanny P, Moller-Sorenson PH, Takala J, Valchanov K, Vallely M. Advances in critical care management of patients
undergoing cardiac surgery. Intensive Care Med. 2018 Apr 30 [EPub ahead of print].
12. Sherrah AG, Callaghan FM, Puranik R, Jeremy RW, Bannon PG, Vallely MP, Grieve
SM. Multi-velocity encoding four-dimensional flow magnetic resonance imaging in the
assessment of chronic aortic dissection. Aorta (Stamford). 2017 Jun 5(3):80-90.
13. Kay S, Celermajer D, Vallely M; Board of Structural Heart Disease Australia. Structural heart disease Australia. Heart Lung Circ. 2017 Nov;26(11):e111-e113.
14. Indja B, Fanning JP, Maller JJ, Fraser JF, Bannon PG, Vallely M, Grieve SM. Neural network imaging to characterize brain injury in cardiac procedures: the emerging utility of connectomics. Br J Anaesth. 2017 May 1;118(5):680-688.
15. Seco M, Zhao DF, Byrom MJ, Wilson MK, Vallely MP, Fraser JF, Bannon PG. Long-term prognosis and cost-effectiveness of left ventricular assist device as bridge to transplantation: A systematic review. Int J Cardiol. 2017 May
16. Indja B, Seco M, Seamark R, Kaplan J, Bannon PG, Grieve SM, Vallely MP. Neurocognitive and Psychiatric Issues Post Cardiac Surgery. Heart Lung Circ. 2017 Feb 6.
17. Zhao DF, Edelman JJ, Seco M, Bannon PG, Wilson MK, Byrom MJ, Thourani V, Lamy A, Taggart DP, Puskas JD, Vallely MP. Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
With and Without Manipulation of the Ascending Aorta: A Network Meta-Analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017 Feb 28;69(8):924-936.
18. Lin L, Sherrah A, Vallely M, Simmons L. A case of mitral annuloplasty band dehiscence. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 Jun 1;18(6):662.
19. Edelman J, Wilson MK, Vallely MP, Bannon PG, McKay G, Robertson SJ, Hislop R, Wong C, Cartwright BL, Forrest P, Torzillo PJ. The expanding role of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation retrieval services in Australia. Anaesth
Intensive Care. 2017 Jan;45(1):92-93.
20. Dhurandhar V, Parikh R, Saxena A, Vallely MP, Wilson MK, Black DA, Tran L, Reid CM, Bannon PG. The Aortic Root Replacement Procedure: 12-year Experience from the Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons Database. Heart Lung Circ. 2016 Dec;25(12):1245-1251.
21. Lamy A, Devereaux PJ, Prabhakaran D, Taggart DP, Hu S, Straka Z, Piegas LS, Avezum A, Akar AR, Lanas Zanetti F, Jain AR, Noiseux N, Padmanabhan C, Bahamondes JC, Novick RJ, Tao L, Olavegogeascoechea PA, Airan B, Sulling TA,Whitlock RP, Ou Y, Gao P, Pettit S, Yusuf S; CORONARY Investigators (inc Vallely MP, Bannon PG). Five-Year Outcomes after Off-Pump or On-Pump Coronary-Artery Bypass Grafting. N Engl J Med. 2016 Dec 15;375(24):2359-2368.
22. McLaughlin A, McGiffin D, Winearls J, Tesar P, Cole C, Vallely M, Clarke A, Fraser J. Veno-Arterial ECMO in the Setting of Post-Infarct Ventricular Septal Defect: A Bridge to Surgical Repair. Heart Lung Circ. 2016 Nov;25(11):1063-1066.
23. Robertson EN, van der Linde D, Sherrah AG, Vallely MP, Wilson M, Bannon PG, Jeremy RW. Familial non-syndromal thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections –
Incidence and family screening outcomes. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Oct 1;220:43-51.
24. Cheng YY, Wright CM, Kirschner MB, Williams M, Sarun KH, Sytnyk V, Leshchynska I, Edelman JJ, Vallely MP, McCaughan BC, Klebe S, van Zandwijk N, Lin
RC, Reid G. KCa1.1, a calcium-activated potassium channel subunit alpha 1, is targeted by miR-17-5p and modulates cell migration in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Mol Cancer. 2016 Jun 1;15(1):44.
25. Dhurandhar V, Parikh R, Saxena A, Vallely MP, Wilson MK, Black DA, Tran L, Reid C, Bannon PG. Early and Late Outcomes following Valve Sparing Aortic Root Reconstruction: The ANZSCTS Database. Heart Lung Circ. 2016 May;25(5):505-11.
26. Kao SC, Kirschner MB, Cooper WA, Tran T, Burgers S, Wright C, Korse T, van den Broek D, Edelman J, Vallely M, McCaughan B, Pavlakis N, Clarke S, Molloy MP, van Zandwijk N, Reid G. A proteomics-based approach identifies secreted protein acidic and rich in cysteine as a prognostic biomarker in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Br J Cancer. 2016 Mar 1;114(5):524-31.
27. Sherrah AG, Andvik S, van der Linde D, Davies L, Bannon PG, Padang R, Vallely MP, Wilson MK, Keech AC, Jeremy RW. Non-syndromic Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection: Outcomes With Marfan Syndrome Versus Bicuspid Aortic Valve Aneurysm. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016 Feb 16;67(6):618-26.
28. Haymet AB, Edelman JJ, Seco M, Duflou J, Vallely MP, Ng HK, Ng MK, Wilson MK. Aortic perforation following transcatheter aortic valve deployment. Int J Cardiol. 2016
29. Kao SC, Kirschner MB, Cooper WA, Tran T, Burgers S, Wright C, Korse T, van den Broek D, Edelman J, Vallely M, McCaughan B, Pavlakis N, Clarke S, Molloy MP, van Zandwijk N, Reid G. A proteomics-based approach identifies secreted protein acidic and rich in cysteine as a prognostic biomarker in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Br J Cancer. 2016 Mar 1;114(5):524-31.
30. Sherrah AG, Andvik S, van der Linde D, Davies L, Bannon PG, Padang R, Vallely MP, Wilson MK, Keech AC, Jeremy RW. Nonsyndromic Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection: Outcomes With Marfan Syndrome Versus Bicuspid Aortic Valve Aneurysm. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016 Feb 16;67(6):618-26.
More research publications available on request.View More