Dr Emily Granger is a cardiothoracic and heart/lung transplant surgeon. Dr Granger has performed over 1400 general cardiothoracic operations and over 100 heart and lung transplants.
A keen biology student in high school, Dr Granger discovered a passion for the complexity of internal structures while doing toad dissections in class. She was also inspired by her cousin who was studying medicine at the time.
Dr Emily Granger completed her medical degree at the University of Queensland in 1997 and completed her internship at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital. Soon after marrying an engineer, Dr Granger moved to Mt Isa where she practised in orthopaedics. With her passion for surgery at the fore, Dr Granger had the opportunity to do around 300 operations, half as primary surgeon, and the others as first assist.
A move to Perth diverted Dr Granger’s career to cardiothoracics, with no orthopaedic positions available at the time. In her first week in cardiothoracics, she did heart transplants, big traumas, dissections and take-backs for bleeding. She hasn’t looked back since.
In 2006 Dr Emily Granger completed her surgical fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. She has been involved with the NSW Organ Tissue Donation Service and Deceased Donor Organ Procurement Surgeon Committee since 2007.
A passionate advocate for organ donation, Dr Granger has worked on the forefront of some of Australia’s most pioneering transplantation, including the world’s first “donated after cardiac death” (DCD) transplant in 2014. Since this time, the Heart Transplant Unit at St Vincent’s Hospital have performed a further 22 “DCD” heart transplants.
Dr Emily Granger is a conjoint lecturer with the Clinical Medical School at St Vincent’s Hospital and the University of Notre Dame and is active in the teaching of medical students, junior doctors and trainee surgeons. She is an EMST and CCRISP instructor with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) and involved with the NSW RACS State Regional Committee as the Cardiothoracic Surgery Representative. In 2017, she was appointed to the Board of Cardiothoracic Surgical Examiners.
Her areas of interest include adult cardiac and thoracic surgery, minimal access cardiac surgery for the aortic and mitral valve, heart lung transplantation and ECMO.
Procedures & Conditions
- Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery
- Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation
- Mechanical Assist Device Implantation
- Ex Vivo Donor Organ Perfusion
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Lung Cancer
- Aortic Stenosis
- Heart Failure
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Adult Structural Heart Disease
Fellowship in Heart and Lung TransplantationLapworth Hospital, United Kingdon 2006
Cardiothoracic RegistrarSt Vincent's Hospital, Sydney 2004-2006
FellowshipRoyal Australasian College of Surgeons Cardiothoracic Surgery 2005
Cardiothoracic Surgery RegistrarRoyal Perth Hospital 2002-2004
Surgery RegistrarRoyal Perth Hospital 2000-2002
Surgery Principal House OfficerMount Isa Base Hospital 1999-2000
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons – Secretary
NSW RACS State Regional Committee Cardiothoracic Surgery Representative
SET Supervisor Cardiothroacic Surgery - St Vincent's Hospital
Organ Donation Implementation Advisory Group NSW
Cardiothoracic Surgery Model Scope of Clinical Practice NSW Advisory Group
DDOPS (Deceased Donor Organ Procurement Surgery) Committee
Transplant Society Australia
International Society Heart Lung Transplantation
Australian Medical Association
Research & Publications
1. Kerr N, Granger E, Jansz P, Fenton-Lee D, Feneley M, Subbiah RN. Esophageal T-tube: A novel approach to atrioesophageal fistula repair..HeartRhythm Case Rep. 2017 Aug 1;3(10):483-486.
2. Jha SR, Hannu MK, Newton PJ, Wilhelm K, Hayward CS, Jabbour A, Kotlyar E, Keogh A, Dhital K, Granger E, Connellan M, Jansz P, Spratt PM, Montgomery E, Smith A, Harkess M, Tunicliff P, Davidson PM, Macdonald PS. Reversibility of Frailty After Bridge-to- Transplant Ventricular Assist Device Implantation or Heart Transplantation. Transplant Direct. 2017 May 30;3(7)
3. Darley DR, Granger E, Glanville AR. Chest pain and recurrent chylothorax: an unusual presentation of malignant pleural mesothelioma.Respirol Case Rep. 2017 Jun 15;5(5)
4. Stamp N, Granger E, Larbalestier R. Modern cardiac surgery: the future of cardiac surgery in Australia.ANZ J Surg. 2017 Sep;87(9):661-664.
5. Dennis M, McCanny P, D’Souza M, Forrest P, Burns B, Lowe DA, Gattas D, Scott S, Bannon P, Granger E, Pye R, Totaro R; Sydney ECMO Research Interest Group. Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for refractory cardiac arrest: A multicentre experience.Int J Cardiol. 2017 Mar 15;231:131-136
6. Jha SR, Hannu MK, Gore K, Chang S, Newton P, Wilhelm K, Hayward CS, Jabbour A, Kotlyar E, Keogh A, Dhital K, Granger E, Jansz P, Spratt PM, Montgomery E, Harkess M, Tunicliff P, Davidson PM, Macdonald PS. Cognitive impairment improves the predictive validity of physical frailty for mortality in patients with advanced heart failure referred for heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 May 6. S1053- 2498(16)30112-7.
7. Ma RW, Huilgol RL, Granger E, Jackson A, Saling S, Dower A, Nivison-Smith I. Does a distal perfusion cannula reduce ischaemic complications of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation? ANZ J Surg. 2016 Feb 28.
8. Tjahjono R, Connellan M, Granger E. Predictors of Acute Kidney Injury in Cardiac Transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2016 Jan-Feb; 48(1):167-72.
9. Shehab S, Macdonald PS, Keogh AM, Kotlyar E, Jabbour A, Robson D, Newton PJ, ao S, Wang L, Allida S, Connellan M, Granger E, Dhital K, Spratt P, Jansz PC, Hayward CS. Long-term biventricular HeartWare ventricular assist device support-Case series of right atrial and right ventricular implantation outcomes. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Apr; 35(4):466-73.
10. Lee W, Tay A, Subbiah RN, Walker BD, Kuchar DL, Muthiah K, Macdonald PS, Keogh AM, Kotlyar E, Jabbour A, Spratt P, Jansz PC, Granger E, Dhital K, Hayward CS. Impact of Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators on Survival of Patients with Centrifugal Left Ventricular Assist Devices. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2015 Aug; 38(8):925-33.
11. Dhital KK, Iyer A, Connellan M, Chew HC, Gao L, Doyle A, Hicks M, Kumarasinghe G, Soto C, Dinale A, Cartwright B, Nair P, Granger E, Jansz P, Jabbour A, Kotlyar E, Keogh A, Hayward C, Graham R, Spratt P, Macdonald P. Adult heart transplantation with distant procurement and ex-vivo preservation of donor hearts after circulatory death: a case series. Lancet. 2015 Jun 27; 385(9987):2585-91.
12. Wang LW, Granger EK, McCourt JA, Pye R, Kaplan JM, Muller DW. Late surgical explantation and aortic valve replacement after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Apr; 99(4):1434-6.
13. Muthiah K, Robson D, Prichard R, Walker R, Gupta S, Keogh AM, Macdonald PS, Woodard J, Kotlyar E, Dhital K, Granger E, Jansz P, Spratt P, Hayward CS. Effect of exercise and pump speed modulation on invasive hemodynamics in patients with centrifugal continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2015 Apr; 34(4):522-9.
14. Nayyar D, Muthiah K, Hayward CS, Lim Z, Granger EK, Nicholls M, Glanville AR. Pulmonary tumor thrombotic microangiopathy from metastatic prostate carcinoma.Case Rep Pulmonol. 2015; 2015:286962.
15. Anthony C, Michel J, Christofi M, Wilson SH, Granger E, Cropper J, Dhital K, Macdonald P. Ex vivo coronary angiographic evaluation of a beating donor heart. Circulation. 2014 Dec 23; 130(25):e341-3.View More
- ANZSCTS Noosa Nov 2018 Invited presenter – Salvage surgery for TAVI
- Notre Dame Women in Medicine Evening September 13 2018 Sydney – invited speaker
- NSW ITIM September 26th 2018, trauma meeting Garvan Institute – Chest trauma presentation
- Convenor Spratt Symposium 1st December 2018 Garvan Institute Darlinghurst
- St Pauls Medical Evening 3rd September 2018 Presenter – History of Transplantation
- RACS ASC Sydney 8th May 2018– Rib Fracture management; TAVI complications
- Introduction to Trauma conference 14th April 2018invited speaker – Westmead Hospital
- SAN International Womens Day Medical Evening Sydney Adventist Hospital 8th March 2018– invited speaker
- SAN ICU conference 17th August 2018 – ECMO
- Grammar Women in Medical Research 3rd June 2018, invited speaker – Queensland Brain Institute
- International Womens Day 1st March 2018 invited speaker – Hyatt Regency
- Cardiology Education meeting, invited speaker, Sydney Adventist Hospital – minimally invasive mitral valve surgery, 14th August, 2018.
- Cardiology Registrar Education meeting invited speaker 23 August 2018: Minimal access mitral surgery.
- Port Douglas Cardiology Meeting – invited speaker (6-9 June 2018). ECMO, transplant cardiac surgery, Womens cardiac health.
- Cardiothoracic Trainees Workshop – teaching 26-28th April 2018 Melbourne RACS.
- TSANZ conference Melbourne invited speaker 1st April 2018– Cardiac surgery in transplanted hearts.
- Australian Medical Students Surgical Conference May 2018 – invited speaker. Careers night.
- Nominee NSW Woman of the Year Premier’s Award. 2017.
- Convenor Farnsworth Symposium – Garvan Institute Darlinghurst. 2017.
- Sydney University Medical Society 2017 Marie Bashir Event. Invited Speaker. 2017.
- Convenor, ANZSCTS Annual Scientific Meeting Cairns, 2016.
- Sydney Adventist Hospital Cardiothoracic Conference Sydney (invited speaker: ECMO CPR) 2016.
- Acelity Cardiothoracic Meeting (invited speaker: Advances in transplantation) Paris, 2016.
- Epworth HealthCare – Cardiac Sciences Clinical Institute Symposium Melbourne (invited speaker: ECMO controversies, Cardiac Transplant Surgery) 2016.
- Baxter Biosurgery Workshop, MERF Brisbane (Invited presenter) RACS ASM Brisbane– Invited Speaker (Ex-vivo perfusion Hearts) SAN Quarterly Cardiology Meeting Sydney– invited speaker (TAVI) 2016.
- ANZSCTS ASM Adelaide– Invited Speaker (DCD heart transplants) 2015.
- RACS ASM Perth – Invited speaker (Lung transplantation, Ex-vivo perfusion) 2015.
- TSANZ Canberra – Invited speaker (Cardiac surgery post heart transplant) 2015.
- Acelity Make Better 2 International Meeting Madrid – invited speaker (innovation in cardiac surgery) 2015.
- Port Douglas Cardiology Meeting, June – invited speaker (DCD hearts) 2015