Dr Emily Granger is a Cardiothoracic / Heart and Lung Transplant Surgeon. Dr Granger has performed over 1400 general cardiothoracic operations and over 100 heart and lung transplants.
Dr Emily Granger completed her medical degree at the University of Queensland in 1997 and her surgical fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2006. She has been involved with the NSW Organ Tissue Donation Service and Deceased Donor Organ Procurement Surgeon Committee since 2007. In July 2014, she was involved in the world’s first successful “DCD” heart transplant. Since this time, the Heart Transplant Unit at St Vincent’s Hospital have performed a further 22 “DCD” heart transplants.
Dr Emily Granger is a conjoint lecturer with the Clinical Medical School at St Vincent’s Hospital and the University of Notre Dame and is active in the teaching of medical students, junior doctors and trainee surgeons. She is an EMST and CCRISP instructor with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) and involved with the NSW RACS State Regional Committee as the Cardiothoracic Surgery Representative. In 2017, she was appointed to the Board of Cardiothoracic Surgical Examiners.
Her areas of interest include adult cardiac and thoracic surgery, minimal access cardiac surgery for the aortic and mitral valve, heart lung transplantation and ECMO.
1. Kerr N, Granger E, Jansz P, Fenton-Lee D, Feneley M, Subbiah RN. Esophageal T-tube: A novel approach to atrioesophageal fistula repair..HeartRhythm Case Rep. 2017 Aug 1;3(10):483-486.
2. Jha SR, Hannu MK, Newton PJ, Wilhelm K, Hayward CS, Jabbour A, Kotlyar E, Keogh A, Dhital K, Granger E, Connellan M, Jansz P, Spratt PM, Montgomery E, Smith A, Harkess M, Tunicliff P, Davidson PM, Macdonald PS. Reversibility of Frailty After Bridge-to- Transplant Ventricular Assist Device Implantation or Heart Transplantation. Transplant Direct. 2017 May 30;3(7)
3. Darley DR, Granger E, Glanville AR. Chest pain and recurrent chylothorax: an unusual presentation of malignant pleural mesothelioma.Respirol Case Rep. 2017 Jun 15;5(5)
4. Stamp N, Granger E, Larbalestier R. Modern cardiac surgery: the future of cardiac surgery in Australia.ANZ J Surg. 2017 Sep;87(9):661-664.
5. Dennis M, McCanny P, D’Souza M, Forrest P, Burns B, Lowe DA, Gattas D, Scott S, Bannon P, Granger E, Pye R, Totaro R; Sydney ECMO Research Interest Group. Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for refractory cardiac arrest: A multicentre experience.Int J Cardiol. 2017 Mar 15;231:131-136
6. Jha SR, Hannu MK, Gore K, Chang S, Newton P, Wilhelm K, Hayward CS, Jabbour A, Kotlyar E, Keogh A, Dhital K, Granger E, Jansz P, Spratt PM, Montgomery E, Harkess M, Tunicliff P, Davidson PM, Macdonald PS. Cognitive impairment improves the predictive validity of physical frailty for mortality in patients with advanced heart failure referred for heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 May 6. S1053- 2498(16)30112-7.
7. Ma RW, Huilgol RL, Granger E, Jackson A, Saling S, Dower A, Nivison-Smith I. Does a distal perfusion cannula reduce ischaemic complications of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation? ANZ J Surg. 2016 Feb 28.
8. Tjahjono R, Connellan M, Granger E. Predictors of Acute Kidney Injury in Cardiac Transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2016 Jan-Feb; 48(1):167-72.
9. Shehab S, Macdonald PS, Keogh AM, Kotlyar E, Jabbour A, Robson D, Newton PJ, ao S, Wang L, Allida S, Connellan M, Granger E, Dhital K, Spratt P, Jansz PC, Hayward CS. Long-term biventricular HeartWare ventricular assist device support-Case series of right atrial and right ventricular implantation outcomes. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Apr; 35(4):466-73.
10. Lee W, Tay A, Subbiah RN, Walker BD, Kuchar DL, Muthiah K, Macdonald PS, Keogh AM, Kotlyar E, Jabbour A, Spratt P, Jansz PC, Granger E, Dhital K, Hayward CS. Impact of Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators on Survival of Patients with Centrifugal Left Ventricular Assist Devices. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2015 Aug; 38(8):925-33.
11. Dhital KK, Iyer A, Connellan M, Chew HC, Gao L, Doyle A, Hicks M, Kumarasinghe G, Soto C, Dinale A, Cartwright B, Nair P, Granger E, Jansz P, Jabbour A, Kotlyar E, Keogh A, Hayward C, Graham R, Spratt P, Macdonald P. Adult heart transplantation with distant procurement and ex-vivo preservation of donor hearts after circulatory death: a case series. Lancet. 2015 Jun 27; 385(9987):2585-91.
12. Wang LW, Granger EK, McCourt JA, Pye R, Kaplan JM, Muller DW. Late surgical explantation and aortic valve replacement after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Apr; 99(4):1434-6.
13. Muthiah K, Robson D, Prichard R, Walker R, Gupta S, Keogh AM, Macdonald PS, Woodard J, Kotlyar E, Dhital K, Granger E, Jansz P, Spratt P, Hayward CS. Effect of exercise and pump speed modulation on invasive hemodynamics in patients with centrifugal continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2015 Apr; 34(4):522-9.
14. Nayyar D, Muthiah K, Hayward CS, Lim Z, Granger EK, Nicholls M, Glanville AR. Pulmonary tumor thrombotic microangiopathy from metastatic prostate carcinoma.Case Rep Pulmonol. 2015; 2015:286962.
15. Anthony C, Michel J, Christofi M, Wilson SH, Granger E, Cropper J, Dhital K, Macdonald P. Ex vivo coronary angiographic evaluation of a beating donor heart. Circulation. 2014 Dec 23; 130(25):e341-3.View More