Dr Gerald Yong is an interventional cardiologist who has an interest in structural heart and obstructive coronary conditions, as well as general cardiology patients. He is a leading expert in the latest advances in minimally invasive treatment of heart valves or structural diseases (instead of open heart surgery). These include valvuloplasties, and closure of various defects in the heart (ASD, VSD, PDA) and closure of leaks around prosthetic heart valves. He also has special interest in complex coronary interventions including bifurcation stenting and chronic total occlusions.
He performed the first Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVI) in Western Australia in 2009. He is frequently asked to proctor and train new operators in Australia and Asia.
Gerald graduated medicine with honours from the University of Western Australia. He completed general cardiology training and a Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology at Royal Perth Hospital. He then completed super-speciality training in Structural Cardiac Interventions at Evanston Hospital, Chicago and at the Montreal Heart Institute, Canada. He has been involved in numerous national and international research studies, particular in TAVI and structural heart disease. He is widely published, and has been an invited faculty member and presenter in many international meetings.
Dr Gerald Yong is a consultant interventional cardiologist at Fiona Stanley Hospital (FSH) and St John of God Hospital Murdoch. He is the head of structural heart intervention at FSH and the interventional head of the WA High Risk Aortic Stenosis and TAVI programme which is based at FSH. He participates in the on-call roster for general cardiology and acute angioplasty at FSH.
Dr Yong combines his keen interest in the development of cardiac prostheses and non-surgical solutions with a strong sense of duty toward the public health system. He combines his expertise in cardiac intervention always with the aim to also optimise the medical management of all his patients. He prioritises access for patients into his practice ensuring minimal delays for assessment and review.
1. Ihdayhid, A. R., Asrar Ul Haq, M., Dembo, L. and Yong, G. Simultaneous Coronary and Pulmonary Angiography to Diagnose Critical Left Main Coronary Artery Stenosis Secondary to Dilated Pulmonary Artery JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2016;9:1193-4
2. Reny, J. L., Fontana, P., Hochholzer, W., Neumann, F. J., Ten Berg, J., Janssen, P. W., Geisler, T., Gawaz, M., Marcucci, R., Gori, A. M., Cuisset, T., Alessi, M. C., Berdague, P., Gurbel, P. A., Yong, G., Angiolillo, D. J., Aradi, D., Beigel, R., Campo, G. and Combescure, C. Vascular risk levels affect the predictive value of platelet reactivity for the occurrence of MACE in patients on clopidogrel. Systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data Thromb Haemost 2016;115:844-55
3. Dunne B, Tan D, Chu D, Yau V, Xiao J, Ho KM, Yong G, Larbalestier R. Transapical versus transaortic transcatheter aortic valve implantation: A systematic review. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015;100:354-361
4. Meredith IT, Walton A, Walters DL, Pasupati S, Muller DW, Worthley SG, Yong G, Whitbourn R, Duffy SJ, Ormiston J. Mid-term outcomes in patients following transcatheter aortic valve implantation in the corevalve australia and new zealand study. Heart Lung Circ. 2015;24:281-290
5. Putrino AL, Best M, Yong G. Improved quality of life two-years post transcatheter aortic valve replacement for a regurgitant aortic homograft. Heart Lung Circ. 2015;24:e51-55
6. Walters DL, Sinhal A, Baron D, Pasupati S, Thambar S, Yong G, Jepson N, Bhindi R, Bennetts J, Larbalestier R, Clarke A, Brady P, Wolfenden H, James A, El Gamel A, Jansz P, Chew DP, investigators SA. Initial experience with the balloon expandable edwards-sapien transcatheter heart valve in australia and new zealand: The source anz registry: Outcomes at 30 days and one year. Int J Cardiol. 2014;170:406-412
7. Nuis RJ, Sinning JM, Rodes-Cabau J, Gotzmann M, van Garsse L, Kefer J, Bosmans J, Yong G, Dager AE, Revilla-Orodea A, Urena M, Nickenig G, Werner N, Maessen J, Astarci P, Perez S, Benitez LM, Amat-Santos IJ, Lopez J, Dumont E, van Mieghem N, van Gelder T, van Domburg RT, de Jaegere PP. Prevalence, factors associated with, and prognostic effects of preoperative anemia on short- and long-term mortality in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2013;6:625-634
8. Mwipatayi BP, Picardo A, Masilonyane-Jones TV, Larbalestier R, Thomas S, Turner J, Vijayan V, Yong G. Incidence and prognosis of vascular complications after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. J Vasc Surg. 2013;58:1028-1036 e1021
9. Yeow WL, Roberts-Thomson P, Shetty S, Yong G. Expanding role for transcatheter aortic valve replacement: Successful transfemoral implantation of a medtronic corevalve for severe aortic regurgitation. Heart Lung Circ. 2012;21:754-758
10. Kong WY, Yong G, Irish A. Incidence, risk factors and prognosis of acute kidney injury after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Nephrology. 2012;17:445-451
11. Yeow WL, Dembo L, Aithal J, Yong G, Clugston R. Internal mammary artery graft fistulae to the pulmonary arteries as a cause of myocardial ischaemia after coronary artery bypass graft. Heart Lung Circ. 2012;21:249-250
12. Lam YY, Yip GW, Yu CM, Chan WW, Cheng BC, Yan BP, Clugston R, Yong G, Gattorna T, Paul V. Left atrial appendage closure with AMPLATZER cardiac plug for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: initial Asia-Pacific experience. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2012;79:794-800
13. Yeow WL, Edwards M, Yong G. Perioperative rupture of the lima graft leading to cardiogenic shock, emergency angiography, and stenting with a polytetrafluoroethylene-covered stent. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2012;79:640-643
14. Tay EL, Gurvitch R, Wijeysinghe N, Nietlispach F, Leipsic J, Wood DA, Yong G, Cheung A, Ye J, Lichtenstein SV, Carere R, Thompson C, Webb JG. Outcome of patients after transcatheter aortic valve embolization. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2011;4:228-234
15. Lam YY, Lee PW, Yong G, Yan BP. Investigational devices for mitral regurgitation: State of the art. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2011;8:105-114
16. Yong G, Ali A, Feldman T. Diastolic transmitral valve pressure gradients in patients with severe calcific aortic stenosis. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2009;74:957-964.
17. Yong G, Khairy P, De Guise P, Dore A, Marcotte F, Mercier L-A, Noble S, Ibrahim R. Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension in Patients With Transcatheter Closure of Secundum Atrial Septal Defects: A Longitudinal Study. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2009;2:455-462.
18. Noble S, Miró J, Yong G, Bonan R, Tardif JC, Ibrahim R. Rapid Pacing Rotational Angiography with Three-Dimensional Reconstruction: Use and Benefits in Structural Heart Disease Interventions. EuroIntervention 2009;5:244-249
19. Pearson L, Thom J, Adams M, Oostryck R, Krueger R, Yong G, Baker R. A rapid flow cytometric technique for the detection of platelet-monocyte complexes, activated platelets and platelet-derived microparticles. Int J Lab Hematol. 2009;31:430-439.
20. Yong G, Rankin J, Ferguson L, Thom J, French J, Brieger D, Chew DP, Dick R, Eccleston D, Hockings B, Walters D, Whelan A, Eikelboom JW. Randomized trial comparing 600- with 300-mg loading dose of clopidogrel in patients with non-ST elevation acute coronary syndrome undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: results of the Platelet Responsiveness to Aspirin and Clopidogrel and Troponin Increment after Coronary intervention in Acute coronary Lesions (PRACTICAL) Trial. Am Heart J. 2009;157(1):60 e61-69.
21. Yong G, Hayes H, O’Driscoll G. Strategy of aggressive steroid weaning and routine alendronate therapy to reduce bone loss after cardiac transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2007;39(10):3340-3343.
22. Feldman T, Yong G. Right Heart Catheterization from the Femoral Route. Cardiac Interventions Today. 2007;Sept 2007:62
23. Yong G, Sanborn T. Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for Bifurcation Disease: Current techniques and future technologies. Cardiac Interventions Today. 2007;Sept 2007:56-61.
24. Yong G, Salinger MH, Feldman T. Device closure for PFO: The data and devices associated with percutaneous PFO closure. Cardiac Interventions Today. 2007;June 2007:32-40.
25. Chin MW, Yong G, Bulsara MK, Rankin J, Forbes GM. Predictive and protective factors associated with upper gastrointestinal bleeding after percutaneous coronary intervention: a case-control study. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007;102(11):2411-2416.
26. Walsh JH, Yong G, Cheetham C, Watts GF, O’Driscoll GJ, Taylor RR, Green DJ. Effects of exercise training on conduit and resistance vessel function in treated and untreated hypercholesterolaemic subjects. Eur Heart J. 2003;24(18):1681-1689.View More