Dr Michael Muhlmann is a General and Interventional Cardiologist based in Western Australia with appointments at St John of God Subiaco, Sir Charles Gairdner, Joondalup Private, and Hollywood Private Hospitals.
Dr Muhlmann graduated from the University of Western Australia with a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery and was awarded his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 2002. He completed further Cardiology training in Echocardiology and Heart Failure at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne and worked as an Interventional Fellow at the esteemed John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, England, as well as the London Chest Hospital in East London.
Dr Muhlmann was appointed as the Head of Department in April 2019 at the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital where he has been an Interventional Cardiologist since 2006. He has greatly contributed to the Structural Heart team at the Hospital, behind the institute protocol for the STEMI program, part of the Acute Coronary Syndromes Project Group, and initiating an Interventional Fellowship program.
Dr Muhlmann has been performing TAVI since its inception in 2009 and was initially part of the Western Australia statewide TAVI service at the Royal Perth Hospital and Fiona Stanley Hospital. He helped start the TAVI Program at the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in 2018 and has also been performing the procedure at the St John of God Subiaco Hospital since 2017.
1. Intensive Cholesterol Lowering and Resistance Training on Vascular Function in Heart Failure. Ferrier KE, Muhlmann MH, Baguet JP, Cameron JD, JenningsGL, Kingwell J Am Coll Cardiol 2002 Mar 20;39(6):1020-5.
2. Nitric Oxide Synthase Inhibition Reduces Glucose Uptake During Exercise More in Type 2 Diabetes Than Controls. Kingwell BA, Formosa M, Muhlmann M, Bradley SJ, McConell GM. Diabetes 2002 Aug 31(8); 72-80.
3. Type 2 Diabetes have Impaired Leg Blood Flow Responses to Exercise; Role of Endothelium Dependent Vasodilation. Kingwell BA, Formosa M, Muhlmann M, Bradley SJ, McConell GM. Diabetics Care 2003, Mar26(3),899-904.
4. Altered Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Activity in Lung Transplantation Patients at Rest and Following Autonomic Pertubation. Berakis A, Williams TJ, Martin J, Muhlmann M, Krum H. Chest. 2002 Oct, 122(4), 1192-94
5. Door-to-Balloon Times Reduced in St Elevation Myocardial Infarction by Emergency Physicians Activation of the Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory and Immediate Patient Transfer. Alexander B Willson, David Mountain, Joanne M Jeffers, Cheryl G Blanton, Brendan M McQuillan, Joseph Hung, Michael H Muhlmann and Michael C Nguyen — Med J Aust 2010; 193 (4): 207-212.
6. Gender Differences in Large Artery Mechanical Properties of Isolated Systolic Hypertensive Patients. M.Muhlmann, K Ferrier, A.Dart, B Kingwell 2nd National Registrars Conference, Sydney2000 (also accepted for poster presentation)
7. Intensive Cholesterol Reduction Lowers Blood Pressure in Isolated Systolic Hypertension. Kathryn E. Ferrier, Michael H. Muhlmann, Jean-Philippe Baguet, James D. Cameron, Garry L. Jennings, Anthony M. Dart, and Bronwyn A. Kingwell, Presemted at Cardiac Society Auckland 2001
8. Initial and 1 Year Outcomes After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Australian Private Hospitals: Results From a National Multi-Centre Registry. D. Eccleston*1, T Rafter2, S Worthley3, P Sage3, G Holt2, M Muhlmann4, M Horrigan1 for the Heart Care Group Investigators.CSANZ August 5, 2010
9. Percutaneous Coronary Interventional in Elderly Australias: Initial and 1 Year Results From a National Multi Centre D. Eccleston*1, T Rafter2, S Worthley3, P Sage3, G Holt2, M Muhlmann4, M Horrigan1 for the Heart Care Group Investigators. 1Warringal Private Hospital, Melbourne, 2Wesley Hospital, Brisbane, 3Wakefield Hospital, Adelaide, 4 Mount Hospital, Perth CSANZ August 5, 2010View More