Dr Michael Muhlmann is a General and Interventional Cardiologist based in Western Australia with appointments at St John of God Subiaco, Sir Charles Gairdner, Joondalup Private, and Hollywood Private Hospitals.
Dr Muhlmann has a special interest in atrial septal defect, complex angioplasty, percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale, percutaneous management of mitral and aortic valve disease including transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI).
Graduating from the University of Western Australia with a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Dr Muhlmann was awarded his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 2002. He completed further Cardiology training in Echocardiology and Heart Failure at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne and worked as an Interventional Fellow at the esteemed John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, England, as well as the London Chest Hospital in East London.
Dr Muhlmann has been performing TAVI since its inception in 2009 and was involved in the Western Australia statewide TAVI service at the Royal Perth Hospital and Fiona Stanley Hospital. He helped establish the TAVI Program at the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in 2018 and has also been performing the procedure at the St John of God Subiaco Hospital since 2017.
Dr Muhlmann was appointed as the Head of Department in April 2019 at the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital where he has been an Interventional Cardiologist since 2006. He has greatly contributed to the Structural Heart team at the Hospital, behind the institute protocol for the STEMI program, part of the Acute Coronary Syndromes Project Group, and initiating an Interventional Fellowship program.
Procedures & Conditions
- General Cardiology
- Complex Angioplasty
- Percutaneous Closure of PFO/ASD
- Percutaneous Management of Mitral & Aortic Valve Disease
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Mitral Valve Disease
Consultant CardiologistSt John of God Subiaco Hospital Present
Interventional Cardiologist, Head of DepartmentSir Charles Gairdner Hospital 2006 - Present
Consultant CardiologistHollywood Private Hospital Present
Consultant CardiologistJoondalup Health Campus Present
Interventional FellowLondon Chest Hospital 2005 - 2006
Interventional FellowJohn Radcliffe Hospital 2004 - 2005
Echocardiography/Cardiac Failure FellowshipAlfred Hospital, Melbourne 2003 - 2004
Memberships & Awards
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Australian Medical Association
Medical Board of Western Australia
Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Royal Australian College of Physicians
British General Medical Council
UWA Prize for Best Surgical Candidate
Research & Publications
1. Intensive Cholesterol Lowering and Resistance Training on Vascular Function in Heart Failure. Ferrier KE, Muhlmann MH, Baguet JP, Cameron JD, JenningsGL, Kingwell J Am Coll Cardiol 2002 Mar 20;39(6):1020-5.
2. Nitric Oxide Synthase Inhibition Reduces Glucose Uptake During Exercise More in Type 2 Diabetes Than Controls. Kingwell BA, Formosa M, Muhlmann M, Bradley SJ, McConell GM. Diabetes 2002 Aug 31(8); 72-80.
3. Type 2 Diabetes have Impaired Leg Blood Flow Responses to Exercise; Role of Endothelium Dependent Vasodilation. Kingwell BA, Formosa M, Muhlmann M, Bradley SJ, McConell GM. Diabetics Care 2003, Mar26(3),899-904.
4. Altered Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Activity in Lung Transplantation Patients at Rest and Following Autonomic Pertubation. Berakis A, Williams TJ, Martin J, Muhlmann M, Krum H. Chest. 2002 Oct, 122(4), 1192-94
5. Door-to-Balloon Times Reduced in St Elevation Myocardial Infarction by Emergency Physicians Activation of the Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory and Immediate Patient Transfer. Alexander B Willson, David Mountain, Joanne M Jeffers, Cheryl G Blanton, Brendan M McQuillan, Joseph Hung, Michael H Muhlmann and Michael C Nguyen — Med J Aust 2010; 193 (4): 207-212.
6. Gender Differences in Large Artery Mechanical Properties of Isolated Systolic Hypertensive Patients. M.Muhlmann, K Ferrier, A.Dart, B Kingwell 2nd National Registrars Conference, Sydney2000 (also accepted for poster presentation)
7. Intensive Cholesterol Reduction Lowers Blood Pressure in Isolated Systolic Hypertension. Kathryn E. Ferrier, Michael H. Muhlmann, Jean-Philippe Baguet, James D. Cameron, Garry L. Jennings, Anthony M. Dart, and Bronwyn A. Kingwell, Presemted at Cardiac Society Auckland 2001
8. Initial and 1 Year Outcomes After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Australian Private Hospitals: Results From a National Multi-Centre Registry. D. Eccleston*1, T Rafter2, S Worthley3, P Sage3, G Holt2, M Muhlmann4, M Horrigan1 for the Heart Care Group Investigators.CSANZ August 5, 2010
9. Percutaneous Coronary Interventional in Elderly Australias: Initial and 1 Year Results From a National Multi Centre D. Eccleston*1, T Rafter2, S Worthley3, P Sage3, G Holt2, M Muhlmann4, M Horrigan1 for the Heart Care Group Investigators. 1Warringal Private Hospital, Melbourne, 2Wesley Hospital, Brisbane, 3Wakefield Hospital, Adelaide, 4 Mount Hospital, Perth CSANZ August 5, 2010View More
- Use of Cardiac Biopsy in Diagnosis of Myocarditis and Secondary Cardiomyopathy in Patients Presenting with Cardiac Failure to the Alfred Hospital. Muhlmann M, Bergin P, Richardson M. Presented at ANZCS Adelaide 2003
- Improving the Door-to-Balloon Time for Patients with St Elevation Mi Transferred From A Peripheral Metropolitan Hospital to a Tertiary Hospital for PCI. Chris Finn, Paul Bailey, Vicki Lye, Cheryl Blanton and Michael Muhlmann. Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital & Joondalup Health Campus, Perth, WA. Presented ANZCS Adelaide 2007