Associate Professor Kuljit Singh is a consultant interventional cardiologist and accredited TAVI practitioner with a special interest in complex structural heart and coronary interventions.
He is an academic interventional cardiologist with active clinical, leadership, teaching and research roles. He is working as a senior staff specialist interventional cardiologist at the Gold Coast University Hospital, Gold Coast Private Hospital and have an appointment of Associate Professor of Medicine at the Griffith University and Bond University. His active roles include; full time clinical interventional cardiology, program director of the cardiology advance training and interventional fellowship training, leading the structural interventional team at the GCUH, supervisor of the cardiology interns, a RACP supervisor for both basic and advanced cardiology trainees, a primary investigator for multiple investigator initiated NHMRC funded and industry sponsored trials, proctor for transcatheter valve implantation for Abbott Medical, ANZ advisory board member for Abbott Medical coronary intervention, a research supervisor for MD students for 3 universities, research supervisor for masters student, research project reviewer for RACP, an editorial board member of an Journal of Geriatric Cardiology and regular reviewer and examiner for journal articles, project grants and PhD thesis.
He undertook internal medicine and cardiology training were at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, South Australia and awarded fellowship to the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 2012. He then completed my PhD at the University of Adelaide in 2015. Post – PhD my postdoctoral training was at the Ottawa Heart Institute, where he underwent coronary and structural interventional cardiology training and further post-doc research in the area of interventional cardiology.
He is an active researcher and have published original research articles in various international peer-reviewed medical journals. He was awarded Dean’s Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence for PhD thesis. He is also the recipient of prestigious University of Adelaide Research Medal for excellent research at the PhD level. He hasacted as a reviewer for high impact medical journals that have included top medical journals such as; Journal of American college of cardiology, European journal of heart failure and Nature Publishing group. I have acted as an external reviewer for project grants submitted to the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC). I have also acted as an examiner for PhD student thesis submitted at the University of Adelaide.
Procedures & Conditions
- Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty
- Cardiac Catheterisation
- Coronary Angiograms
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Coronary Graft Intervention
- Coronary Imaging
- General Cardiology
- Geriatric Cardiology
- Instravascular Ultrasound Imaging
- Invasive Cardiology
- Percutaneous Aortic Valve Procedures
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI)
- Percutaneous Mitral Valve Procedures
- Percutaneous Structural Heart Intervention
- Right Heart Catheterisation
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Cardiac Disease
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Complete Heart Block
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Heart Failure
- Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM)
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Ischemic Cardiomyopathy
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Preventative Cardiology
- Structural Heart Disease
- Tako-Tsubo Cardiomyopathy
- Valvular Heart Disease
Senior Staff Specialist Interventional CardiologistGold Coast Health QLD Government 2016 - Present
Visiting Medical Officer CardiologistGold Coast Private Hospital and Pindara Private Hospital 2017 - Present
Associate Professor of MedicineGriffith University Gold Coast Campus 2017 - Present
Honorary Adjunct Associate Professor of MedicineBond University 2017 - Present
Structural Interventional Cardiology LeadGold Coast Health QLD Government 2017 - Present
Program Director Cardiology Advanced TrainingGold Coast Health QLD Government 2019 - Present
Cardiology Internship SupervisorGold Coast Health QLD Government 2018 - Present
Proctor for Transcatheter Portico TAVRAbbott Structural Heart 2019 - Present
Post doctoral Interventional Cardiology FellowUniversity of Ottawa Heart Institute 2014 - 2016
Staff Specialist CardiologistThe Queen Elizabeth Hospital, SA Health 2012 - 2014
Staff Specialist CardiologistThe Lyell McEwin Hospital, SA Health 2012 - 2014
Locum Interventional CardiologistThe Lyell McEwin Hospital, SA Health 2016
Visiting Medical Officer CardiologistAshford Private Hospital 2012 - 2016
Specialist CardiologistSA Heart 2012 - 2014
Advanced Cardiology TraineeThe Queen Elizabeth Hospital, SA Health 2010 - 2012
Basic Physician TraineeThe Queen Elizabeth Hospital, SA Health 2007 - 2009
InternshipThe Queen Elizabeth Hospital, SA Health 2006
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence for Outstanding Thesis Outcome
Doctoral Research Medal for Outstanding Research at the PhD Level
Research & Publications
1. Sarathy, Kiran & Wells, George & Singh, Kuljit & Couture, Etienne & Chong, Aun & Rubens, Fraser & Lordkipanidzé, Marie & Md, Jean-François & So, Derek. (2021). Platelet Quiescence in Patients With Acute Coronary Syndrome Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery. Journal of the American Heart Association. 10. 10.1161/JAHA.120.016602.
2. Adams, Cobi & He, Maggie & Hughes, Ian & Singh, Kuljit. (2021). Mortality in spontaneous coronary artery dissection: A systematic review and meta‐analysis. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 10.1002/ccd.29488.
3. Mridha, Naim & Millhouse, James & Oldfield, Kieran & Adams, Cobi & Hughes, Ian & Singh, Kuljit. (2021). Systematic review and meta-analysis of the incidence of recurrence of spontaneous coronary artery dissection. Coronary Artery Disease. Publish Ahead of Print. 10.1097/MCA.0000000000001015.
4. Mridha, Naim & Millhouse, J. & Oldfield, K. & Adams, C. & Hughes, Ian & Singh, K.. (2020). 891 Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection Recurrence. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 29. S437. 10.1016/j.hlc.2020.09.898.
5. Singh, Kuljit & Tavella, Rosanna & Air, Tracy & Worthley, Matthew & Sinhal, Ajay & Arstall, Margaret & Zeitz, Christopher & Beltrame, John. (2020). Impact of Young Age and Gender on Outcomes of Transradial Versus Transfemoral Access Coronary Angiography. Angiology. 72. 3319720961940. 10.1177/0003319720961940.
6. Adams, Cobi & Singh, Kuljit. (2020). Geographic variation in the statin trials: Underrepresentation of Asian populations. International Journal of Cardiology. 316. 10.1016/j.ijcard.2020.07.015.
7. Jung, Richard & Parlow, Simon & Simard, Trevor & Chen, Christopher & Ghataura, Harshpreet & Kishore, Aditya & Perera, Aravinda & Moreland, Rob & Hughes, Ian & Tavella, Rosanna & Hibbert, Benjamin & Beltrame, John & Singh, Kuljit. (2020). Clinical features, sex differences and outcomes of myocardial infarction with nonobstructive coronary arteries: a registry analysis. Coronary artery disease. Publish Ahead of Print. 10.1097/MCA.0000000000000903.
8. Carson, Verna & Smith, Brian & Peters, Matthew & Brinn, Malcolm & Ameer, Faisal & Singh, Kuljit & Fitridge, Robert & Koblar, Simon & Jannes, Jim & Veale, Antony & Goldsworthy, Sharon & Hnin, Khin & Esterman, Adrian. (2020). Two-year efficacy of varenicline tartrate and counselling for inpatient smoking cessation (STOP study): A randomized controlled clinical trial. PLOS ONE. 15. e0231095. 10.1371/journal.pone.0231095.
9. Rashid, Mohammed & Singh, Kuljit & Bernick, Jordan & Wells, George & Hibbert, Benjamin & Russo, Juan & So, Derek & May, Michel. (2019). Periprocedural Bivalirudin Versus Unfractionated Heparin During Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Following Fibrinolysis for ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. The Journal of invasive cardiology. 31. E387-E391.
10. Jung, Richard & Parlow, Simon & Simard, Trevor & Chen, Christopher & Ghataura, Harshpreet & Kishore, Aditya & Perera, Aravinda & Moreland, Robert & Hughes, Ian & Tavella, Rosanna & Hibbert, Benjamin & Beltrame, John & Singh, Kuljit. (2019). TCT-468 Clinical Features, Sex Differences, and Outcomes of Myocardial Infarction With Nonobstructive Coronary Arteries (MINOCA): A Multicenter, International, Registry Analysis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 74. B463. 10.1016/j.jacc.2019.08.560.
11. Subhaharan, Delo & Mridha, Naim & Singh, Kuljit. (2019). Clinical benefits of prolonged dual antiplatelet therapy following complex percutaneous coronary intervention. Coronary Artery Disease. 31. 1. 10.1097/MCA.0000000000000827.
12. Rashid, Mohammed & Sahami, Nazanin & Singh, Kuljit & Winter, Jose & Sheth, Tej & Jolly, Sanjit. (2019). Ultrasound Guidance in Femoral Artery Catheterization: A Systematic Review and a Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. The Journal of invasive cardiology. 31. E192-E198.
13. Subhaharan, Delo & Mridha, Naim & Singh, K.. (2019). Clinical Benefits of Prolonged DAPT Following Complex Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 28. 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.06.592.
14. Hyasat, Kais & Singh, Kuljit. (2019). EARLY HOSPITAL DISCHARGE FOLLOWING SUCCESSFUL REPERFUSION OF ST ELEVATION MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 73. 1216. 10.1016/S0735-1097(19)31823-6.
15. Saraswat, Avadhesh & Jayasinghe, Rohan & Hyasat, Kais & Singh, Kuljit. (2018). TCT-822 Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) closure compared to medical therapy for prevention of stroke recurrence in cryptogenic stroke population: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 72. B327-B328. 10.1016/j.jacc.2018.08.2060.
16. Singh, K & Subhaharan, Delo & Mridha, Naim. (2018). P5529A five-year follow-up of randomised studies comparing outcomes between bioabsorbable-polymer and durable-polymer drug-eluting stents: systematic review and meta-analysis. European Heart Journal. 39. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehy566.P5529.
17. Singh, K & Subhaharan, Delo & Mridha, Naim. (2018). P5525A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials to compare safety and efficacy of everolimus/sirolimus bioabsorbable polymer with second-generation durable-polymer drug eluting stents. European Heart Journal. 39. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehy566.P5525.
18. Mridha, Naim & Subhaharan, Delo & Niranjan, Selvanayagam & Rashid, Mohammed & Psaltis, Peter & Singh, Kuljit. (2018). A Meta-Analysis of Randomised-Controlled Trials to Compare Long-Term Clinical Outcomes of Bioabsorbable-Polymer and Durable-Polymer Drug-Eluting Stents. European Heart Journal – Quality of Care and Clinical Outcomes. 5. 10.1093/ehjqcco/qcy036.
19. Surikow, Sven & Nguyen, Thanh & Stafford, Irene & Chapman, Matthew & Chacko, Sujith & Singh, Kuljit & Licari, Giovanni & Raman, Betty & Kelly, Darren & Zhang, Yuan & Waddingham, Mark & Ngo, Doan & Bate, Alexander & Chua, Su Jen & Frenneaux, Michael & Horowitz, John. (2018). Nitrosative Stress as a Modulator of Inflammatory Change in a Model of Takotsubo Syndrome. JACC: Basic to Translational Science. 3. 10.1016/j.jacbts.2017.10.002.
20. Russo, Juan & James, Tyler & Ruel, Marc & Dupuis, Jean-Yves & Singh, Kuljit & Goubran, Daniel & Malhotra, Nikita & Rubens, Fraser & Chong, Aun-Yeong & Hibbert, Benjamin & Boland, Paul & Tran, Diem & Md, Jean-François & Lordkipanidzé, Marie & Perrault, Louis & Bourke, Michael & Chan, Vincent & So, Derek. (2018). Ischemic and bleeding outcomes after coronary artery bypass grafting among patients initially treated with a P2Y12 receptor antagonist for acute coronary syndromes: Insights on timing of discontinuation of ticagrelor and clopidogrel prior to surgery. European heart journal. Acute cardiovascular care. 8. 2048872617740832. 10.1177/2048872617740832.
21. Mridha, Naim & Singh, K. & Subhaharan, Delo. (2018). A Five-Year Follow-Up of Randomised Studies Comparing Outcomes Between Bioabsorbable-Polymer and Durable-Polymer Drug-Eluting Stents: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 27. S431. 10.1016/j.hlc.2018.06.876.
22. Subhaharan, Delo & Mridha, Naim & Singh, K.. (2018). A Meta-Analysis of Randomised Studies Comparing Two-Year Outcomes of Second-Generation Durable-Polymer and Everolimus and Sirolimus Bioabsorbable Polymer Drug-Eluting Stents. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 27. S431. 10.1016/j.hlc.2018.06.877.
23. Saraswat, Avadhesh & Rahman, Atifur & Singh, Kuljit. (2017). Invasive or Conservative Approach in Elderly Patients with Non-ST-segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 34. 10.1016/j.cjca.2017.11.020.
24. Singh, Kuljit & Bhalla, Ajit & Qutub, Maher & Carson-Chahhoud, Kristin & Labinaz, Marino. (2017). Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis to Compare Outcomes Between Intermediate and High-Risk patients undergoing TAVI. European Heart Journal-Quality of Care and Clinical Outcomes. 3. 10.1093/ehjqcco/qcx014.
25. Singh, Kuljit & Rashid, Mohammed & So, Derek & Glover, Christopher & Froeschl, Michael & Hibbert, Benjamin & Chong, Aun-Yeong & Dick, Alexander & Labinaz, Marino & May, Michel. (2017). Incidence, predictors, and clinical outcomes of early stent thrombosis in acute myocardial infarction patients treated with primary percutaneous coronary angioplasty (insights from the University of Ottawa Heart Institute STEMI registry): Early ST Following Primary Coronary Angioplasty. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 91. 10.1002/ccd.27215.
26. Singh, Kuljit & Carson-Chahhoud, Kristin & Rashid, Mohammed & Jayasinghe, Rohan & Alqahtani, Abdulrahman & Dick, Alexander & Glover, Christopher & Labinaz, Marino. (2017). Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation in Intermediate Surgical Risk Patients With Severe Aortic Stenosis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 27. 10.1016/j.hlc.2017.02.032.
27. Singh, Kuljit & Carson-Chahhoud, Kristin & Ali, Onn & Jayasinghe, Rohan & Dick, Alexander & Glover, Christopher & Labinaz, Marino. (2017). Efficacy and Complications of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation With and Without Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty. J Heart Valve Dis. 26. 139-145.
28. Russo, J.J. & James, Tyler & Ruel, M. & Dupuis, J. & Singh, K. & Goubran, D. & Malhotra, N. & Chan, V. & Chong, A. & Hibbert, Benjamin & Tanguay, J. & Lordkipanidzé, Marie & Perrault, Louis & Wells, George & Bourke, Michael & Rubens, Fraser & So, Derek. (2016). Ischemic and bleeding outcomes after coronary artery bypass grafting among patients initially treated with a P2Y12 receptor antagonist for acute coronary syndromes – insights on the use of ticagrelor versus clopidogrel prior to surgery. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 32. S118-9. 10.1016/j.cjca.2016.07.175.
29. Russo, J.J. & James, Tyler & Ruel, M. & Dupuis, J. & Singh, K. & Goubran, D. & Malhotra, N. & Chan, V. & Chong, A. & Hibbert, Benjamin & Tanguay, J. & Lordkipanidzé, Marie & Perrault, Louis & Wells, George & Bourke, Michael & Rubens, Fraser & So, Derek. (2016). Ischemic and bleeding outcomes after coronary artery bypass grafting among patients initially treated with a P2Y12 receptor antagonist for acute coronary syndromes – insights on timing of discontinuation of ticagrelor and clopidogrel prior to surgery. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 32. S252. 10.1016/j.cjca.2016.07.407.
30. Singh, Kuljit & Akashi, Yoshihiro & Horowitz, John. (2016). Takotsubo Syndrome Therapy: Current Status and Future Directions. International Cardiovascular Forum Journal. 5. 10.17987/icfj.v5i0.223.
More research publications available upon request.View More