Dr Cheng He is a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon with a special interest in Structural Heart Intervention, Total Arterial Revascularisation (CABG), and Aortic Aneurysms. He consults and is a Staff Specialist at the Gold Coast University Hospital and VMO with operating privileges at the Gold Coast Private Hospital.
Dr He completed Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Medical Science at the University of Melbourne. Following basic surgical training, he undertook his specialty cardiothoracic training across a number of hospitals including University Hospital Geelong (Victoria), Royal Hobart Hospital (Tasmania), The Prince Charles Hospital (Queensland), and The Alfred Hospital (Victoria).
Dr He was awarded Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2019. He further completed a Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship at St Vincent’s Hospital in Melbourne before relocating to the Gold Coast in Queensland with his young family.
Dr He has contributed his knowledge and experience to a number of research publications and authored book chapters. A keen educator, as a Senior Lecturer at the School of Medicine, Griffith University, Dr He is also passionate about encouraging patients to learn about their condition and be empowered in selecting the most appropriate therapy for them.
Procedures & Conditions
- Atrial Fibrillation Ablation
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Closures
- Bicuspid Valve Replacement
- Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts
- Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device (LAACD)
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Video Thorascopic Assisted Heart (MICS) and Lung (VATS/MITS) Surgery
- Pacemaker Implantation
- Pulmonary Vein Isolation
- Thoracic Oncologic Surgery
- Total-Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Arrhythmia Management
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Atrial Flutter
- Bicuspid Valve
- Cardiac Disease
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Heart Failure
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Ischemic Cardiomyopathy
- Lung Cancer
- Mitral Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Structural Heart Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Staff SpecialistGold Coast University Hospital 2020 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, VMOGold Coast Private Hospital 2020 - Present
Cardiothoracic FellowSt Vincent's Hospital, Victoria 2019 - 2020
Senior LecturerSchool of Medicine, Griffith University Present
ASSET Skills Course InstructorRoyal Australasian College of Surgeons Present
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
Australia and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS)
Australian Medical Association (AMA)
Research & Publications
1. He C, Raman J. Wound Dehiscence With Nintedanib After Cardiac Surgery: A Cautionary Tale. JTCVS Tech. Article in press. 2020 Oct.
2. Deng X, Huang P, Luo J, Chen R, Yang G, Chen W, Liu Q, He C. Residual Shunts Following Isolated Surgical Ventricular Septal Defect Closure: Risk factors and Spontaneous Closure. Paediatr Cardiol. 2019 Oct.
3. Deng X, Huang P, Yi L, Yang X, He C. Hybrid Repair of Pectus Excavatum and Congenital Heart Disease: A case report. Medicine. 2017 Dec; 96 (51): e9503
4. He C, Scalia G, Walters D, Clarke A. Transapical Transcatheter Mitral Valve-in-Valve Implantation using an Edwards Sapien 3 valve. Heart Lung Circ. 2017 Apr; 26(4): e19-e21
5. Bell D, He C, Pauli J, Naidoo R. Maroteaux-Lamy syndrome: A Rare and Challenging Case of Mitral Valve Replacement. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2016 Oct 18.
6. He C, Suryani R, Hiew C, Cheng A, Zhang B. Mitral Regurgitation following Pericardiectomy for Constrictive Pericarditis. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann, 2015 Jul 7
7. Tan JW, Cheng A, Vo T, Lee CS, He C, Zhang B. Giant pulmonary artery aneurysm in a setting of Wegener’s granulomatosis. Cardiovascular and Thoracic Open, January-December 2015 (1) 1-3.
8. Sreedharan S, He C, Brede K et al. Follicular Thyroid Carcinoma Extending into the Right Atrium. ANZ J Surg. 2015;85 (S1):15.
9. He C, von Segesser LK, Kappetein PA, Mestres CA, Smith JA, Choong CKC. Acute pulmonary embolectomy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012; doi:10.1093/ejcts/ezs605
10. He C, Shen S, Sharard A, Gan P. Peritoneal Oleogranulomatosis After Laparoscopic Gastric Banding. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2011 Oct;21(5):e270-2.
11. Stonell CA, Leslie K, He C, Lee L. Statistical Approach to Word Stem Completion Test. Anesthesiology. 2007 Jul;107(1):173-4
12. Stonell CA, Leslie K, He C, Lee L. No Sex Differences in Memory Formation during General Anesthesia. Anesthesiology. 2006 Nov;105(5):920-6
1. He C, Van Schil P, Choong CKC: Pulmonary Metastases, Tips and Tricks in Thoracic Surgery, Parikh D, Rajesh P, ISBN 978-1-4471-7353-3, Springer, p53-63, 2018
2. He C, Choong CKC: Superior Vena Cava Syndrome, ESTS Textbook of Thoracic Surgery, Volume Two, Kuzdzal J, 2015
3. He C, Choong CKC: Bronchoscopic Lung Volume Reduction, Interventional Bronchoscopy: A Clinical Guide, Mehta A, Jain P, ISBN 978-1-6270-3394-7, Humana Press, Chapter 11; p201-210, 2013
4. He C, Smith JA, Choong CKC: Pulmonary Embolectomy, Cardiothoracic Surgery Review, Franco KL, ISBN 978-1-6091-3235-4, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Chapter 283; p1260-1267, 2011View More
- He C, Chen YL, Wall D, Clarke A, Tesar P, Naidoo R. Early Outcomes of Rapid Deployment Aortic Valve Replacement: The Prince Charles experience. Oral Presentation, ANZSCTS Annual Scientific Meeting, Cairns, Nov 2016
- He C, Walters D, Scalia G, Clarke A. Percutaneous Approach to the Mitral Valve: The Prince Charles experience. Oral Presentation, ANZSCTS Annual Scientific Meeting, Cairns, Nov 2016
- He C, Bell D, Mew C, Tjahjadi C, Markham R, Kang D, Tesar P. Relationship Between Amount of Tissue Resection and Outcome Following Surgical Septal Myectomy for LVOT Obstruction: The Prince Charles experience. Oral Presentation, ANZSCTS Annual Scientific Meeting, Cairns, Nov 2016
- Bell D, He C, Pauli J, Naidoo R. Mitral Valve Replacement in Mucopolysaccharidosis. Poster Presentation, ANZSCTS Annual Scientific Meeting, Cairns, Nov 2016
- He C, Pearse B, Tesar P, Faulke D. Fibrinogen Concentrate Dosing in Complex Cardiac Surgery. Poster Presentation, ANZSCTS Annual Scientific Meeting, Cairns, Nov 2016
- He C, Scalia G, Walters D, Clarke A. Percutaneous Approach to the Mitral Valve: The Prince Charles experience. Oral Presentation, Finalist – Hour of Power, Annual Health Discoveries Forum, The Prince Charles Hospital, Oct 2016
- He C, Clarke A, Savage M, Aroney C, Tesar P, Walters D: Transaortic vs. Transapical Approach for TAVI: A Single Centre Experience. Oral Presentation, ANZSCTS Annual Scientific Meeting, Adelaide, Nov 2015
- He C, Merenstein D, Smith JA, Choong CKC: Multidisciplinary Management of Large Intrathoracic Masses: A Collection of Interesting Clinical Cases. Poster Presentation, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress, Malaysia, May 2012
- He C, Shen S, Sharard A, Gan P: Peritoneal Oleogranulomatosis After Laparoscopic Gastric Banding: A case report and review of the literature. Poster Presentation, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress, Adelaide, May 2011
- Gender Differences in Frequency of Learning during Anaesthesia. Poster Presentation, Melbourne Health Research Symposium, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, July 2005