Professor Jai Raman is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon located in Melbourne at the St Vincent’s Hospital, Austin Hospital and Warringal Private Hospital. He has over 20 years of clinical and operative experience as a consultant and attending surgeon in Australia, India and USA.
Professor Raman has performed over 6000 cardiac operations and 1000 thoracic operations and specialises in heart failure, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, com Read More...
Procedures & Conditions
- Anaortic Off-Pump Coronary Artery Surgery
- Arch and Thoraco-Abdominal Aortic Surgery
- Atrial Fibrillation Ablation
- Atrial Flutter Ablation
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Closures
- Biventricular Pacemaker Implantation
- Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy (CRT)
- Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery
- Complex Aortic Root Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)
- Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation
- Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Implantable Loop Recorder
- Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Insertion
- Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device (LAACD)
- Mechanical Support Devices (Impella CP)
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Video Thorascopic Assisted Heart (MICS) and Lung (VATS/MITS) Surgery
- Pacemaker Implantation
- Percutaneous Aortic Valve Procedures
- Percutaneous Structural Heart Intervention
- Perioperative Medicine
- Pulmonary Vein Cryoablation
- Pulmonary Vein Isolation
- Radio Frequency Ablation
- Sub Q ICD Implantation
- Total-Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Transfemoral and Alternate Access TAVI
- Valve in Valve TAVI Procedures
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Implantation
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Atrial Flutter
- Bicuspid Valve
- Cardiac Disease
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Heart Failure
- Mitral Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Structural Heart Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonAustin & St Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia 2019 - Present
Professor of SurgeryDeakin University, Geelong & Melbourne 2019 - Present
Adjunct Professor of SurgeryUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA 2015 - Present
Professor of Cardiothoracic SurgeryOregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, USA 2016 - 2019
Professor of Cardiothoracic SurgeryRush & University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA 2011 - 2016
Professor of Cardiothoracic SurgeryUniversity of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA 2002 - 2011
Associate Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery & Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonAustin Hospital & University of Melbourne 1997 - 2002
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Australian & New Zealand Society of Cardiac & Thoracic Surgeons (ANZCTS)
American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS)
Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
American Heart Association (AHA)
International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT)
Indian Association of Cardiovascular-Thoracic Surgeons (IACTS)
European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS)
Teaching Award, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
Research & Publications
1. Gaudino M, Benedetto U, Fremes S, Ballman K, Biondi-Zoccai G, Sedrakyan A, Nasso G, Raman J, Buxton B, Hayward PA, Moat N, Collins P, Webb C, Peric M, Petrovic I, Yoo KJ, Hameed I, Di Franco A, Moscarelli M, Speziale G, Girardi LN, Hare DL, Taggart DP. The RADial artery International ALliance (RADIAL) extended follow-up study: rationale and study protocol. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2019 Sep 18. pii: ezz247. doi: 10.1093/ejcts/ezz247. [Epub ahead of print].PMID:31535147.
2. Popma JJ, Deeb GM, Yakubov SJ, Mumtaz M, Gada H, O’Hair D, Bajwa T, Heiser JC, Merhi W, Kleiman NS, Askew J, Sorajja P, Rovin J, Chetcuti SJ, Adams DH, Teirstein PS, Zorn GL 3rd, Forrest JK, Tchétché D, Resar J, Walton A, Piazza N, Ramlawi B, Robinson N, Petrossian G, Gleason TG, Oh JK, Boulware MJ, Qiao H, Mugglin AS, Reardon MJ; Evolut Low Risk Trial Investigators. Transcatheter Aortic-Valve Replacement with a Self-Expanding Valve in Low-Risk Patients. N Engl J Med. 2019 May 2;380(18):1706-1715. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1816885. Epub 2019 Mar 16.
3. Raman J, Dobrilovic N, Alimohamed M, Lateef OB, Aziz S: A Comparison of Low and Standard Anticoagulation Regimens in Extra-corporeal Membrane Oxygenation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2019 Jan 31. pii: S1053-2498(19)31343-9. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2019.01.1313. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:30744940
4. Anderson DE, Pohan G, Raman J, Konecny F, Yim EK, Hinds MT Improving Surgical Methods for Studying Vascular Grafts in Animal Models. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2018 Jul 7. doi: 10.1089/ten.TEC.2018.0099. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Song HK, Turner J, Macfie R, Kumar S, Mannello MJ, Smith D, Bhamidipati C, Raman J, Tibayan F, Heitner SB. Routine Papillary Muscle Realignment and Septal Myectomy for Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2018 May 10. pii: S0003-4975(18)30653-2. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2018.04.026. [Epub ahead of print].
6. Burg JM, Fino NF, Tibayan FA, Rodriguez V, Raman J, Zahr F, Song HK. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). Early post-approval experience with transcatheter aortic valve replacement in the United States.2018 Feb 8. doi: 10.23736/S0021-9509.18.10321-1. [Epub ahead of print]
7. Dobrilovic N, Lateef O, Michalak L, Delibasic M, Raman J. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Bridges Inoperable Patients to Definitive Cardiac Operation. ASAIO J. 2017 Dec 11. doi: 10.1097/MAT.0000000000000741. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29240627.
8. Delibasic M, Dobrilovic N, Mohamedali B, Raman J; Pre-transplant depression as a predictor of adherence and morbidities after orthotopic heart transplantation. Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery. (2017) 12:62 DOI 10.1186/s13019-017-0626-0.
9. Nadkarni GN, Coca SG, Meisner A, Patel S, Kerr KF, Patel UD, Koyner JL, Garg AX, Philbrook HT, Edelstein CL, Shlipak M, El-Khoury J, Parikh CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium Investigators. Urinalysis findings and urinary kidney injury biomarker concentrations.BMC Nephrol. 2017 Jul 6;18(1):218. doi: 10.1186/s12882-017-0629-z. PMID: 28683730
10. Chandrashekar P, Jagannathan R, Talluri K, Raman J. Extra-Cardiac Approach to Functional Mitral Regurgitation – A Cost-effective Approach to Addressing Heart Failure. BMJ Innovations. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjinnov-2016-000115.
11. Dobrilovic N, Soukas P, Sadiq I, Goldstein L, Raman J. Early complications of biologic extracellular matrix patch after use for femoral artery repair. J Vasc Surg. 2016 Oct 14. pii: S0741-5214(16)31104-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.07.131. [Epub ahead of print].PMID: 27751739.
12. Dobrilovic N, Raman J, Fingleton JG, Maslow A, Singh AK.Long-Term Outcomes of External Repair as a Rescue Operation for Atrioventricular Groove Disruption. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Oct 24. pii: S0003-4975(16)31090-6. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2016.08.024. [Epub ahead of print].PMID: 27788941
13. Tiwari S, Raman J, Reddy V, Ghetler A, Tella RP, Han Y, Moon CR, Hoke CD, Bhargava R. Towards Translation of Discrete Frequency Infrared Spectroscopic Imaging for Rapid Digital Histopathology of Clinical Biopsy Samples. Anal Chem. 2016 Oct 18;88(20):10183-10190. PMID:27626947
14. Raman J, Lai DTM, Aziz S: Dacron skirt reconstruction of the Left Ventricular Outflow Trac– Extending the capabilities of a valved conduit. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017 Jan;103(1):e97-e99. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2016.06.038. PMID:28007290
15. Raman J, Ballal A, Mirza S, Bleck T, Hota B, Lai DTM, Lateef OB: Reconstructive Valve Surgery within 10 days of Stroke in Endocarditis. Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals. May, 2016; DOI: 10.1177/0218492316652746
16. Alemzadeh H, Raman J, Leveson N, Kalbarczyk Z, Iyer RK. Adverse Events in Robotic Surgery: A Retrospective Study of 14 Years of FDA Data. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 20;11(4):e0151470. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0151470. eCollection 2016.PMID:27097160
17. Park M, Shlipak MG, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Garg AX, Koyner, JL, Coca SG, Parikh CR, for the Translational Research Investigating Biomarker Endpoints in Acute Kidney Injury (TRIBE-AKI) Consortium. Association of Peak Changes in Plasma Cystatin C and Creatinine With Death After Cardiac Operations. Ann Thorac Surg 2016.
18. Ballal A, Mirza S, Raman J. Neurological risk in urgent valve replacement cardiac surgery for infective endocarditis with cerebrovascular complications – a case series. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015 Dec 16;10 Suppl 1:A56. doi: 10.1186/1749-8090-10-S1-A56. Epub 2015 Dec 16. PMID: 26738637.
19. Dobrilovic N, Raman J, Fingleton JG, Maslow A, Singh AK.Long-Term Outcomes of External Repair as a Rescue Operation for Atrioventricular Groove Disruption following Mitral Valve Surgery. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015 Dec 16;10 Suppl 1:A150. doi: 10.1186/1749-8090-10-S1-A150. Epub 2015 Dec 16. PMID: 26739096
20. Alemzadeh H, Iyer RK, Raman J, Kesavadas T: Systems-Theoretic Safety Assessment of Robotic Telesurgical Systems. Computer Safety, Reliability, and Security. 34th International Conference, SAFECOMP 2015, Delft, The Netherlands, September 23-25, 2015, Proceedings .Series: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 9337. Subseries: Programming and Software Engineering. Koornneef, Floor, van Gulijk, Coen (Eds.) 2015
21. Raman J, Samost AL, Leveson N, Dobrilovic N, Oldham M, Dekker S, Finkelstein S. When a Checklist is Not Enough: How to Improve Them and What Else is Needed. J Thorac and Cardiovasc Surg. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016 Aug;152(2):585-92. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2016.01.022. Epub 2016 Jan 19. PMID:27167018
22. Koyner JL, Coca SG, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Patel UD, Shlipak MG, Garg AX, Parikh CR; Translational Research Investigating Biomarker Endpoints for Acute Kidney Injury (TRIBE-AKI) Consortium; Translational Research Investigating Biomarker Endpoints for Acute Kidney Injury TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Urine Biomarkers and Perioperative Acute Kidney Injury: The Impact of Preoperative Estimated GFR. Am J Kidney Dis. 2015 Dec;66(6):1006-14. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2015.07.027. Epub 2015 Sep 16. PMID:26386737.
23. Hote M, Seth S, Chaudhary S, Raman J, Archana S, Kaushik M, Parakh N: Report of an External Basal Annuloplasty device for mitral regurgitation (BACE device implantation). Journal of Practice of Cardiovascular Sciences. DOI:10.4103/2395-5414.166342
24. Raman J: Access to the Heart – Evolution of Surgical Techniques. Glob Surg 2015;1(2):31-33. doi: 10.15761/GOS.1000112.
25. Raman J, Sugeng L, Lai DTM, Jeevanandam V: Complex Tricuspid Valve Repair in patients with pacer-defibrillator related tricuspid regurgitation. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Apr;101(4):1599-601. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.08.080. PMID:27000589
26. Dobrilovic N, Aslan B, McCarthy WJ, March RJ, Turba UC, Michalak L, Delibasic M, Raman J. Delayed Retrograde Ascending Aortic Dissection After Endovascular Repair of Descending Dissection. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Jun;101(6):2357-8. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.06.109.
27. Leveson N, Dekker S, Samost AL, Finkelstein S, Raman J: A Systems Approach to Analyzing and Preventing Hospital Adverse Events. J Patient Saf. 2016 Jan 11. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26756729
28. Raman J, Katz MJ, Large MC, Zorn KG, Steinberg GD: Single Incision Thoraco-abdominal Approach with Normothermic Cardiopulmonary Bypass for the Management of Urologic Tumors Invading the Inferior Vena Cava. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Mar;101(3):1202-4. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.09.021.PMID: 26897213
29. Dennis G. Moledina, Chirag R. Parikh, Amit X. Garg, Heather Thiessen-Philbrook, Jay L. Koyner, Uptal D. Patel, Prasad Devarajan, Michael G. Shlipak, Steven G. Coca and theTRIBE-AKI Consortium. Association of Perioperative Plasma Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin Levels with 3-Year Mortality after Cardiac Surgery: A Prospective Observational Cohort Study. PLOS ONE. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0129619 June 8, 2015
30. Alemzadeh, R. K. Iyer, Z. Kalbarczyk, D.Chen, X. Li, T Kesavadas, J. Raman A Software Framework for Simulation of Safety Hazards in Robotic Surgical Systems. Medical Cyber Physical Systems 2015, April 13, 2015, Seattle, WA
More research publications available upon request.View More
- 2017 – Dynamic Chemical Imaging in the rapid diagnosis of cardiovascular and thoracic diseases. Presented at the annual Live Surgery Symposium at GKNM Hospital, Coimbatore, India.
- 2017 – Overview of Mechanical Support, Bangkok Dusit Medical Specialty group, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2015 – 3-dimensional Printing – Cardiovascular applications. Seminar on 3-d printing at the National University of Singapore.
- 2015 – Grand Rounds, National University Hospital, Singapore – Enabling Techniques in Surgery and Dynamic Tissue Imaging.
- 2015 – Invited faculty – Complex Mitral Valve Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi, India.
- 2015 – Invited Speaker and Coordinator – Seminar on Sternal Fixation, Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Hyderabad, India.
- 2015 – Invited Lecture, Enabling Techniques in Cardiac Surgery, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, California.
- 2014 – Invited Lecture, Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Rush Copley Hospital, Aurora, Illinois
- 2014 – Invited speaker and surgical trainer – Annual GKNM Live Surgery Symposium, – Aortic root reconstruction, Sternal plate fixation.
- 2014 – Invited speaker – ECMO for mechanical cardio-respiratory support, Karnataka State Cardiothoracic Surgery Society, India – Bangalore, June 2014.
- 2013 – Invited Guest Speaker – Tokyo Heart Centre, Tokyo, Japan. Topic – “Internal Fixation with Plates and Screws in the Chest” Feb, 2013.
- 2013 – Invited guest speaker, Surgical Trainer and faculty – at Annual update on Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Yashoda Hospital, Hyderabad, India. Aug, 2013.
- 2013 – Invited guest speaker at the Annual Meeting og the Chinese Society for Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Wuhan, China – “Facilitating minimally invasive cardiac surgery with plate fixation of the chest”. Nov, 2013.
- 2012 – Invited guest speaker – Annual meeting of the Chinese Society of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Nanjing, China. Topic “Sternal Plate Fixation” Dec, 2012.
- 2012 – Invited guest speaker, Surgical trainer and faculty – at Annual GKNM Live Surgery Symposium on “Complex Surgery for Heart Failure”, Coimbatore, India – Nov, 2012.
- 2012 – Invited Guest Speaker at the Annual Meeting of Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons Association, Bali, Indonesia – March – with lectures on Minimally Invasive CABG, Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery
- 2011 – Invited Speaker, Surgical trainer and Faculty – at Annual GKNM Live Surgery Symposium on “Complex Valve Surgery”, Coimbatore, India, Dec, 2012.
- 2011 – Invited Guest Speaker at the Annual meeting of the Indian Association of CT Surgery, Chennai, India on “Management of Thoraco-abdominal Aneurysms”, “Minimally Invasive CABG”, “Surgery for Heart Failure”.
- 2010 – Invited Speaker and Participant at the Annual GKNM Live Surgery Symposium – “Minimally Invasive CABG surgery”
- 2010 – Invited lecturer and facilitator – Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons – STS University on Pain Management of Thoracic Incisions.
- 2009 – Invited guest lecturers on “Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery” and “Surgery for Heart Failure” – Indian Association of CT Surgery, New Dehli, India.
- 2008 – Invited guest lecture on “Tips and Tricks in Complex Cardiac Surgery”, Annual Meeting of the Indian Association of CT Surgery, Pune, India.
- 2007 – Invited guest lectures at the Asian Cardiovascular Surgery Society, Bali on “Surgical Treatment of Heart Failure” and “Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery”.
- 2007 – Invited guest lecturer and participant at the Live surgery Symposium on Surgery for Aortic Aneurysms – GKNM Hospital, Coimbatore, India.
- 2007 – Invited guest lecture at the Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic surgeons annual meeting on “Facilitating techniques in improving survival of heart failure patients” and “Which VAD is best – what we would like and what we have?”
- 2006 – Invited speaker at the Cardiology Society of India debate in Bangalore on “Stenting versus Arterial Grafting for multi-vessel coronary artery disease”.
- 2006 – Conducted a workshop on “Internal Fixation in the Chest” at the combined Winter meeting of the ISMICS (International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery) and ASCTS (Australiasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons), at Cairns, Australia
- 2005 – Invited guest speaker and faculty, ACTS – Advanced Cardiac Surgery Techniques, Lenox Hill Hospital, New York.
- 2005 – Invited guest lecture at the Karnataka Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Bangalore on “Surgery for Heart Failure.”
- 2004 – Invited Speaker, Pitfalls in surgical treatment of AF, Japanese Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Sapporo, Japan.
More presentations available upon request.View More