Associate Professor Martin Ng is an interventional cardiologist with strong interests in clinical, scientific and technological innovation in cardiology. As founder of the transcatheter heart valve program at RPA, he has established a program that has set benchmarks for excellence in clinical outcomes and that has pioneered world firsts in minimally invasive treatment of heart disease. Synergistic to his clinical interests, Dr Ng heads a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) supported bench-to-bedside biomedical research program, that seeks to address unmet patient needs by developing new treatments for heart disease.
He is head of Translational Research and Bioengineering at the Heart Research Institute and has won numerous awards for research and innovation. His invention of an expandable seal to stop leaks around percutaneous heart valves was awarded First Place in the Stanford Biodesign Innovation (Stanford University, California, U.S.) and has been met with international acclaim.
In 2010, Dr Ng was awarded the prestigious Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Foundation Medal (2010) for world-first research into developing new stents and materials for the treatment of heart disease; the Royal Australasian College of Physicians’ Young Investigator of the Year in 2001; the CJ Martin Fellowship from the National Health and Medical Research Council in 2004-2005; and the Advanced E-Team Award from the National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (NCIIA) in 2006-2007.
Dr Ng graduated with First Class Honours in Medicine from the University of Sydney, where he completed his MBBS in 1993. He holds a PhD in cardiovascular medicine from the University of Sydney. He undertook his training in interventional cardiology at Stanford University Medical Center (Stanford, California, U.S.A.).
1. Ng MK, Jessup W and Celermajer DS. Gender related differences in the regulation of macrophage cholesterol metabolism. Curr Opin Lipidol 2001;12:505-510
2. Ng MK, Liu PY, Williams A, Nakhla S, Ly LP, Handelsman DJ and Celermajer DS. Prospective Study of the Effect of Androgens on Serum Inflammatory Markers in Men. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2002;22:1136-1141.
3. Ng MK, Quinn C, Nakhla S, Jessup W, Handelsman DJ, Celermajer DS and Death AK. Androgens Upregulate Atherosclerosis-Related Genes in Macrophages from Males but not Females – Molecular Insights into Sex Differences in Atherosclerosis. J Am Coll Cardiol Expedited Publication 2003; 42:1306-1313.
4. Ng MK, Nakhla S, Baoutina A, Jessup W, Handelsman DJ, Celermajer DS. Dehydroepiandrosterone, an adrenal androgen, increases human foam cell formation: a potentially pro-atherogenic effect. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003;42:1967-1974
5. Wu KH, Wang JJ, Rochtchina E, Foran S, Ng MK, Mitchell P. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs) and age-related maculopathy (ARM): cross-sectional findings from the Blue Mountains Eye Study. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2004;82:298-303.
6. Ng MK and Celermajer DS. Glucocorticoid therapy and cardiovascular disease. Heart. 2004;90:829-30.
7. Farouque HMO, Tremmel JA, Shabari FR, Aggarwal M, Fearon WF, Ng MK, Rezaee M, Yeung AC and Lee DP. Risk factors for the development of retroperitoneal hematoma after percutaneous coronary intervention in the era of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors and vascular closure devices. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 54:363-8.
8. Ng MK and Yeung AC. Left main coronary artery disease: is CABG still the gold standard?. Rev Cardiovasc Med 2005. 6: 187-193
9. Ng MK, Tremmel J, Fitzgerald PJ and Fearon WF. Selective renal arterial infusion of fenoldopam for the prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy. J Interv Cardiol 2006; 19: 75-79.
10. Ng MK, Yeung AC and Fearon WF. Invasive assessment of the coronary microcirculation: superior reproducibility and less hemodynamic dependence of index of microcirculatory resistance as compared to coronary flow reserve. Circulation 2006; 113:2054-2061.
11. Ng MK, Wu J, Chang E, Wang BY, Katzenberg-Clark R, Ishii-Watabe A and Cooke JP. A central role for nicotinic cholinergic regulation of growth factor-induced endothelial cell migration. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2007; 27:106-12.
12. Ng MK. New Perspectives on Mars and Venus: Unravelling the Role of Androgens in Gender Differences in Cardiovascular Biology and Disease. Heart Lung and Circulation 2007;16:185-92.
13. Sieveking D, Buckle A, Celermajer D and Ng MK. Strikingly Different Angiogenic Properties of Endothelial Progenitor Cell Subpopulations: Insights From a Novel Human Angiogenesis Assay. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 660-668 *
14. [Subject of an Editorial in J Am Coll Cardiol. Shantsila E, Watson T, Tse HF and Lip GY. 2008;51:669-671]
15. Fearon WF, Shah M, Ng M, Brinton T, Wilson A, Tremmel JA, Schnittger I, Lee DP, Vagelos RH, Fitzgerald PJ, Yock PG and Yeung AC. Predictive value of the index of microcirculatory resistance in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 560-565.
16. [Subject of an Editorial in J Am Coll Cardiol. Grayburn PA and Choi JW. 2008;51:566-568
17. Celermajer D and Ng MK. Where there is smoke… J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; J Am Coll Cardiol 2008: 51:1772-1774.
18. Yin Y, Wise SG, Nosworthy NJ, Waterhouse A, Bax D, Youssef H., Bilek M. M.M. , McKenzie DR , Weiss AS and Ng MK. Covalent Immobilisation of Tropoelastin on a Plasma Deposited Interface for Enhancement of Endothelialization on Metal Surfaces. Biomaterials 2009; 30: 1675-1681.
19. Sieveking D and Ng MK. Cell therapies for therapeutic angiogenesis: back to bench. Vasc Med 2009; 14: 153-166
20. Yong A, Lowe HC, Ng MK and Kritharides L. The Intracoronary Electrocardiogram in Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. J Interv Cardiol 2009;22:68-76.
21. Ilsar R, Chawantanpipat C, Chan KH, Waugh R, Hennessy A, Celermajer DS and Ng MK. The Measurement of Pulmonary Flow Reserve In High Order Primates. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology 2009;36:797-802.
22. Ayer JG, Harmer JA, Nakhla S, Xuan W, Ng MK, Raitakari OT, Marks GB and Celermajer DS. HDL-Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, and Asymmetric Dimethylarginine Are Significantly Associated With Arterial Wall Thickness in Children. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2009; 29:943-949.
23. Chan KH and Ng MK. Hyperacute pulmonary oedema complicating rituximab infusion. Eur J Intern Med 2009;20:e13.
24. Yan TD, Cao C, Martens-Nielsen J, Padang R, Ng M, Vallely MP and Bannon PG. Percutaneous Aortic Valve Implantation for High-risk Patients with Severe Aortic Stenosis – A Systematic Review. J Cardiothoracic Surg 2010; 139:1519-28
25. Sieveking D, Lim P, Chow RWY, Dunn LL, Bao S, McGrath KCY, Heather AK, Handelsman DJ, Celermajer DS and Ng MK. A Sex-Specific Role for Androgens in Angiogenesis. J Exp Med 2010; 207:345-52
26. Ilsar R, Chawantanpipat C, Chan KH, Dobbins TA, Waugh R, Hennessy A, Celermajer DS, Ng MK.Measurement of pulmonary flow reserve and pulmonary index of microcirculatory resistance for detection of pulmonary microvascular obstruction. PLoS One. 2010;5:e9601.
27. Byrom MJ, Bannon PG, White GH and Ng MK. Animal models for the assessment of novel vascular conduits. J Vasc Surg 2010; 52:176-95.
28. Sieveking D, Chow RWY and Ng MK. Androgens, angiogenesis and cardiovascular regeneration. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2010; 17:277-283.
29. Chan KH, Chawantanpipat C, Gattorna T, Chantadansuwan T, Kirby A, Madden A, Keech A and Ng MK. The relationship between coronary stenosis severity and compression type coronary artery movement in acute myocardial infarction. American Heart Journal 2010; 159: 584-92
30. Chow RWY, Handelsman DJ and Ng MK. Rapid Actions of Sex Steroids in the Endothelium. Endocrinology 2010; 151:2411-22.
More research publications available on request.View More