Dr Ryan Schrale is a General and Interventional Cardiologist, with expertise in percutaneous coronary interventions (PCI), acute treatment of myocardial infarction, valvular heart disease including transcutaneous aortic valve implantation (TAVI), peripheral vascular procedures, and percutaneous treatments for structural heart disease (including atrial septal defects and patent foramen ovale).
Dr Ryan Schrale works at St Vincent’s Private Hospital Toowoomba. He also attends as a Senior Consultant Cardiologist at the Toowoomba Base Hospital and is a Senior Lecturer in Medicine at the James Cook University School of Medicine. He is a Fellow of the Australian and New Zealand College of Cardiology, European Society of Cardiology, and the American College of Cardiology.
Dr Schrale graduated in Medicine from the University of Adelaide and completed specialist physician training at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and Flinders Medical Centre. He completed Interventional Fellowship training at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston and Harvard Medical School. During this time he also received a Masters degree from Oxford University in Evidence-Based Health Care.
Procedures & Conditions
- Percutaneous Structural Heart Intervention
- Acute Treatment Of Myocardial Infarction
- Transcutaneous Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Percutaneous Coronary Interventions (PCI)
- Peripheral Vascular Intervention
- Rotational Atherectomy
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Myocardial Infarction
- Structural Heart Disease
- Atrial Septal Defects
- Patent Foramen Ovale
- Aortic Stenosis
Consultant Interventional CardiologistToowoomba Cardiac Centre 2019 - Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistSt Vincent's Private Hospital Toowoomba 2019 - Present
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (FCSANZ)
Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC)
Fellow of The American College of Cardiology (FACC)
Medical Board of Australia
2016 - Present
Editorial Board Member for Heart, Lung and Circulation Journal
Research & Publications
1. O’Donohoe TJ, Schrale RG, Sikder S, Surve N, Rudd D, Ketheesan N. Significance of Anti-Myosin Antibody. Formation in Patients With Myocardial Infarction: A Prospective Observational Study. Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Apr;28(4):583-590.
2. O’Donohoe TJ, Schrale RG. Acute compartment syndrome: A rare but important complication of transradial cardiac catheterization. J Cardiol Cases. 2017;16(6):183-185.
3. O’Donohoe TJ, Ketheesan N, Schrale RG. Anti-troponin antibodies following myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiology. 2017;69(1):38-45.
4. O’Donohoe TJ, Schrale RG, Ketheesan N. The role of anti-myosin antibodies in perpetuating cardiac damage following myocardial infarction. International Journal of Cardiology. 2016 (15);209:226-33.
5. Starmer G, Schrale R. Heart of the tropics: delivering evidence-based care for acute coronary syndromes in Northern Australia. Rural Remote Health. 2016;16(4):3938.
6. Harding SA, Van Gaal WJ, Schrale RG, Gunasekara A, Amerena J, Mussap CJ, Aylward PE. Practical experience with ticagrelor: an Australian and New Zealand perspective. Current Medical Research & Opinion. 2015; 31(8):1469-77.
7. Thuzar M, Shenoy VV, Malabu UH, Schrale R, Sangla KS. Extreme hypertriglyceridemia managed with insulin. Journal of Clinical Lipidology. 2014; 8(6):630-4.
8. Davies AJ, Schrale RG. Stent-graft repair of a giant saphenous vein graft aneurysm. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2012; 21(12):828-30.
9. Lai T, Yadav R, Schrale RG. Mimicking MI: Localised ST-segment elevation in Campylobacter jejuni myopericarditis. Internal Medicine Journal. 2009; 39(6):422-3.
10. Bhindi R, Bull S, Schrale RG, Wilson N, Ormerod OJ. Surgery Insight: Percutaneous treatment of prosthetic paravalvular leaks. Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine. 2008; 5(3):140-7.
11. Schrale R, Ormerod J, Wilson N, Ormerod O. PFO closure in pregnancy: A safe option for women and their fetuses. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. epub 2008 Mar 1.
12. Schrale RG, van Gaal W, Channon KM, Forfar JC, Ormerod OJ, Banning AP. Long-term outcomes of percutaneous coronary intervention for unprotected left main coronary artery disease. International Journal of Cardiology. 2008; 130 (2):185-9.
13. van Gaal WJ, Arnold JR, Porto I, Jennings B, Ashar V, Schrale RG, Banning AP. Long term outcome of elective day case percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with stable angina. International Journal of Cardiology. 2008; 128(2):272-4.
14. Pitcher A, Schrale RG, Mitchell AR, Ormerod O. Percutaneous closure of an iatrogenic atrial septal defect. European Journal of Echocardiography. 2008; 9(2):294-5.
15. Schrale RG, van Gaal W, Banning A. Late stent thrombosis 28 months post implantation of a left main coronary drug-eluting stent. Heart Lung and Circulation. 2007;1 6(5):378-9.
16. Schrale R, Choudhury RP, Forfar C. Effective thrombus extraction strategies in acute saphenous vein graft intervention. Heart. 2007; 93(8):921.
17. Schrale RG, Channon KM, Ormerod OJ. IVUS-guided evaluation and percutaneous intervention in an anomalous left main coronary artery. Journal of Invasive Cardiology. 2007; 19(7):E195-8.
18. Schrale RG, Ormerod J, Ormerod OJ. Percutaneous device closure of the patent foramen ovale during pregnancy. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 2007; 69(4):579-83.
19. Schrale RG, Mitchell AR, Ormerod OJ. Patent foramen ovale and the risk of cryptogenic stroke. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2006; 48(9):1913-4.
20. Schrale RG, Channon KM, Ormerod OJ. Anomalous circumflex artery: intravascular ultrasound imaging of dynamic compression and “two wire-two vessel” percutaneous intervention. International Journal of Cardiology. 2007;115(1):e41-3.
21. Schrale RG, Mitchell AR, Wilson N. ‘Cobra malformation’ of an Amplatzer device during percutaneous closure of a ventricular septal defect. European Heart Journal. 2007; (6):698.
22. Schrale R, Ormerod O. Failure to retrieve undeployed paclitaxel-eluting coronary stents. American Journal of Cardiology. 2006; 98(3):426.View More
- O’Donohoe TJ, Schrale RG, Ketheesan N. Anti-Myosin Antibodies Following Myocardial Infarction: A Prospective Observational Study. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2016. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2016; 25(2):S29–S30.
- Buchholz S, Schrale RG, Zhang M. Successful palliative valvuloplasty for critical aortic valve stenosis in aspartylglucosaminuria (AGU) syndrome. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2015. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2015; 24(3):S304.
- Davies A, Schrale R. Impending Paradoxical Embolism: Review of reported mortality and prognostic factors. Featured Oral Presentation. Presented EuroPCR 2014.
- Sinhal N, Schrale RG. Coronary artery anomalies: incidence and outcome at cardiology tertiary referral centre in North Queensland. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2013. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; 22(1):S35.
- Sinhal N, Schrale RG. The introduction of radial artery angiography and interventions in a regional tertiary hospital North Queensland. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2013. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; 22(1):S156.
- Wijesekera VA, Yadav R, Schrale RG. Young Patients (Age <36) with Acute Myocardial Infarction in Northern Queensland: One Year Follow-up Study. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2010. Heart Lung and Circulation 2010; 19(2):S37-38.
- Asrress KN, Schrale RG, Mankia KS, Raza SA, Puli C, Wilson N, Ormerod OJ, Mitchell AR. Prospective Comparison of Intracardiac Versus Transoesophageal Echocardiography Guided Closure of Patent Foramen Ovale and Atrial Septal Defects in Adults – Five Year Single Centre Experience. Oral presentation AHA 2008. Circulation 2008; 118:S930.
- Wijesekera VA, Yadav R, Lai T, Schrale RG. Very premature coronary artery disease in North Queensland: clinical and angiographic features. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2008. Heart Lung and Circulation 2008; 17:S109.
- Asrress KN, Puli C, Raza S, Schrale RG, Wilson N, Ormerod OJ, Mitchell AJ. Comparison of intracardiac versus transoesophageal echocardiography guidance for percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defects in adults – a three year single centre experience. Presented European Society of Cardiology, 2008. European Heart Journal 2008; 29:733-900.
- Schrale RG, Shinnick M, Chew DP, Aylward PE. A national survey of radiation knowledge and safety in the cardiac catheterisation laboratory. Selected as Moderated Poster, Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2006. Heart Lung and Circulation 2006; 15(S1):328.
- Schrale RG, van Gaal W, Channon K, Forfar JC, Ormerod O, Banning A. Unprotected Left Main Percutaneous Intervention – A Four Year Single Centre Experience. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2006. Heart Lung and Circulation 2006; 15(S1):327.
- Schrale RG, Siebert W, Girardi J, Joseph M, Vaile J, McRitchie R, Chew DP, Aylward PE. Renal injury prevention in contrast induced nephropathy with acetylcysteine trial (RIPCINA): a randomised controlled trial of N-acetylcysteine. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2006. Heart Lung and Circulation 2006; 15(S1):326.
- Schrale RG, van Gaal W, Channon K, Forfar JC, Ormerod O, Banning A. Bail-out left main coronary stenting for acute dissection: short and long term results. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2006. Heart Lung and Circulation 2006; 15(S1):325.
- van Gaal WJ, Schrale R, Jennings B, Porto I, Arnold R, Ashar V, Banning A. Results of Day Case Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Patients with Stable Angina. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2006. Heart Lung and Circulation 2006; 15(S1):317.
- Schrale R, Astley C, De Pasquale C, Chew D. Bleeding complications are strongly associated with ischaemic events in acute coronary syndromes. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting. Heart Lung and Circulation. 2004; 13(S2):104-5.
- Schrale R, Cooney M, Ilton M. Rheumatic Heart Disease in the Northern Territory: A Problem of Recurrence. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2003. Heart Lung and Circulation. 2003; 14(S1):101.
- Schrale R, Hamilton A, Aylward P, Chew D. Routine Use of Sirolimus Eluting Stents: A Decision Analysis Model. Presented CSANZ Annual Scientific meeting 2003. Heart Lung and Circulation. 2003; 14(S1):120.