Dr Ramakrishna ‘Ram’ Saireddy is an interventional cardiologist with a special interest in the management of coronary artery and structural heart disease. He obtained his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery at NTR University of Health Sciences in India. He trained further in India, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and in Australia.
Dr Ram Saireddy completed advanced cardiology training in Christchurch, New Zealand and became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) in 2012. He completed a two year structural and interventional program at The Prince Charles Hospital in Brisbane.
Dr Saireddy moved to Cairns hospital in 2013 as a consultant in cardiology, a noteworthy addition to the Cairns community who could now look forward to a wider range of more complex coronary interventions. In 2015 Dr Saireddy joined the Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service’s cardiac team, and was instrumental in the opening of a new 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week on-call service. In March 2015, the first balloon aortic valvuloplasty in Cairns was performed under the supervision of Dr Saireddy.
While working at Prince Charles Hospital’s Heart and Lung Institute, Dr Saireddy authored several medical publications on heart surgery. He has contributed his knowledge and experience to numerous publications including the Heart, Lung, and Circulation and the Internal Medicine Journal, as well as presentations in Australia and New Zealand.
Dr Saireddy performs an extensive range of interventional and structural coronary procedures and has been a part of teams performing transcatheter aortic valve implantations (TAVI) and other structural heart interventions.
Procedures & Conditions
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantations (TAVI)
- Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Artery Stenting
- Fractional Flow Reserve Measurements in Coronary Arteries
- Right Heart Studies
- Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty
- PFO Closures
- Temporary Pacing
- Implantation of Loop Recorders
- CVP Lines
- DC Cardioversion
- Exercise Stress Testing
- Report Trans-Thoracic Echocardiography
- Report Holter Monitors
- Aortic Stenosis
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Mitral Regurgitation
Consultant Interventional CardiologistCairns Base Hospital 2015-Present
Interventional FellowThe Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane 2013 - 2015
Advanced Trainee Cardiology/Interventional FellowChristchurch Hospital, NZ 2013
Advanced Trainee CardiologyTauranga Hospital, NZ 2009
Medical Registrar (Cardiology & Nephrology)Tauranga Hospital, NZ 2007 - 2008
Specialist Registrar in HaematologyNinewells Hospital, Dundee, Scotland 2005 - 2007
Clinical Fellow - HaematologySt James University Hospital, Leeds, UK 2005
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Research & Publications
1. Factors Contributing to Acute Kidney Injury and the Impact on Mortality in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Crowhurst JA, Savage M, Subban V, Incani A, Raffel OC, Poon K, Murdoch D, Saireddy R, Clarke A, Aroney C, Bett N, Walters DL. Heart Lung Circ. 2016 Mar;25(3):282-9
2. Outcomes of transcatheter aortic valve implantation in high surgical risk and inoperable patients with aortic stenosis: a single Australian Centre experience. Internal Medicine Journal. 2016. Vol 46, Issue 1, Pages 42-51. Vijayakumar Subban, D Murdoch, M Savage, J Crowhurst, R Saireddy, Karl Poon, A Incani, N Bett, D J Burstow, G M Scalia, A Clarke, Christopher O Raffel, C N Aroney, Darren L Walters.
3. Transcatheter Valve-in-Valve Replacement for Degenerated Bioprosthetic Valves- a single Australian Centre Experience. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 20148);388-92. Vijayakumar Subban, Michael Savage, James Crowhurst, Karl Poon, Alexander Incani, Constantine Aroney, Peter Tesar, Andrew Clarke, Christopher O Raffel, Ramakrishna Saireddy, Dale Murdoch, Nicholas Bett, Darren L Walters.
4. Immediate Closure of Paravalvular Leak after Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Heart, Lung, and Circulation. 2014. Ramakrishna Saireddy, Vijayakumar Subban, Arvin Lamana, Andrew Clarke, Gregory M Scalia, Owen Christopher Raffel, Darren L Walters.
5. Simultaneous Two-Vessel Very-Late Stent Thrombosis of Everolimus-Eluting Stents. J Invasive Cardiol 2013;25(3): E48-E51. Aniket Puri, Ramkrishna Saireddy, Dougal McClean.View More
- Acute Necrotising Eosinophilic Myocarditis. R.R. Saireddy, I. Melton. Heart, Lung, and Circulation, Volume 20, Issue 6, Page 406. – CSANZ (NZ) 2011.
- Long-Term Outcomes after ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction Treated with Everolimus Eluting Stents or Bare Metal Stents. R.R. Saireddy, J. Elliott, D. Smyth, D. McClean, J. Blake. Heart, Lung, and Circulation, Volume 21, Issue 8, Page 512/513. CSANZ (NZ and Aus) 2012.
- When the Earth Quakes, the Heart Breaks: Stress Cardiomyopathy After a 6.3 Earthquake. J.M. Elliott, C. Chan, M.G. Daly, W.Y. Chan, R.R. Saireddy, K.A.M. Milburn, R.W. Troughton, P.G. Bridgman. Heart Lung and Circulation, Volume 20, Issue 6, Page 379. CSANZ (NZ and Aus) 2012.
- Trends of the Treatment of ST Elevation Myocardial Infarct (STEMI) in Christchurch 2008–2012. Tie, C.L.H.; Saireddy, R.R.; Blake, J.W.H.; Elliott, J.M.; McClean, D.R.; Puri, A.; Smyth, D.W. Heart, Lung, and Circulation, 2013, Vol.22(7), pp.582-582. CSANZ (AU) 2013.