Dr Nay Htun is a General and Interventional Cardiologist with expertise in structural heart and coronary interventions. He consults at The Alfred, Cabrini Hospital, Latrobe Regional Hospital, Frankston Hospital and Peninsula Private Hospital, in Victoria.
Dr Htun completed his advanced cardiology training at The Alfred Hospital. He was awarded a PhD in Medicine from Monash University, focusing on detecting unstable atherosclerotic plaques by developing a novel imaging method and a urine proteomic profiling. Dr Htun presented his PhD thesis as a finalist of the Ralph Reader Prize at the annual Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting.
Dr Htun spent 2 years at the world-class St Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver, Canada under the guidance of Professor John Webb focusing on coronary and structural heart interventions. Returning to Victoria in 2017 he commenced practising as a General and Interventional Cardiologist in both public and private settings. He is an accredited TAVI operator in both public and private locations.
He held a RACP Research Establishment Fellowship at the Baker Heart Institute, Atherothrombosis and Vascular Biology Lab and is currently a senior lecturer at Monash University.
Procedures & Conditions
- Coronary Angiogram
- Coronary Stenting
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Complex Coronary Interventions
- Percutaneous Closures - ASD, PFO, PDA
- Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion
- Percutaneous Mitral Valve Interventions
- Alcohol Septal Ablation
- Aortic Stenosis
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Structural Heart Disease
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Ischaemic Heart Disease
Consultant Interventional CardiologistAlfred Hospital 2017 - Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistCabrini Hospital Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistFrankston Hospital 2017 - Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistPeninsula Private Hospital 2017 - Present
Consultant Interventional CardiologistLatrobe Regional Hospital 2017 - Present
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (FCSANZ)
RACP Research Establishment Fellowship Award by Royal Australasian College of Physicians
National Health and Medical Research Council (Australia) Postgraduate Research Scholarship
Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Research Scholarship
Research & Publications
1. Htun N, Chen YC, Lim B, Schiller T, Maghzal GJ, Huang A, Elgass KD, Rivera J, Schneider HG, Wood BR, Stocker R, Peter K. Near-Infrared Autofluorescence Induced by Intraplaque Hemorrhage and Heme Degradation as Marker for High-Risk Atherosclerotic Plaques. Nat Commun. 2017;8(1):75.
2. Htun N, Magliano DJ, Zhang ZY, Lyons J, Petit T, Nkuipou-Kenfack E, Ramirez-Torres A, von zur Muhlen C, Maahs D, Schanstra JP, Pontillo C, Pejchinovski M, Snell-Bergeon JK, Delles C, Mischak M, Staessen JA, Shaw JE, Koeck T, Peter K. Prediction of acute coronary syndromes by urinary proteome analysis. PLoS One. 2017;12(3):e0172036.
3. Tong D, Quinn S, Nasis A, Hiew C, Roberts-Thomson P, Adams H, Sriamareswaran R, Htun N, Wilson W, Stub D, van Gaal W, Howes L, Collins N, Yong A, Bhindi R, Whitbourn R, Lee A, Hengel C, Asrress K, Freeman M, Amerena J, Wilson A, Layland L. Colchicine in patients with acute coronary syndrome: The Australian COPS Randomized Clinical Trial. Circulation. 2020. (Accepted for publication)
4. Stehli J, Dagan M, Zaman S, Koh JQS, Quine E, Gouskova N, Crawford C, Dong M, Nanayakkara S, Htun N, Stub D, Dick R, Walton A, Duffy S. Impact of Sex on Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Outcomes. Am J Cardiol. 2020. (Accepted for publication)
5. Baratchi S, Zaldivia M, Wallert M, Loseff-Silver J, Al-aryahi S, Zamani J, Thurgood P, Salim A, Htun N, Stub D, Vahidi P, Duffy S, Walton A, Nguyen T, Jaworowski A, Khoshmanesh K, Peter K. TAVI represents an anti-inflammatory therapy via reduction of shear stress-induced, Piezo-1-mediated monocyte activation. Circulation. 2020. (Accepted for publication)
6. Quine EJ, Duffy SJ, Stehli J, Dick RJ, Htun N, Stub D, Walton AS. Comparison of Early Outcomes in Patients at Estimated Low-, Intermediate- and High-Risk Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation: A Multicentre Australian Experience. Heart Lung Circ. 2020. [Epub ahead of print]
7. Diehl P, Nienaber F, Zaldivia MTK, Stamm J, Siegel PM, Mellett NA, Wessinger M, Wang X, McFadyen JD, Bassler N, Puetz G, Htun N, Braig D, Habersberger J, Helbing T, Eisenhardt SU, Fuller M, Bode C, Meikle PJ, Chen YC, Peter K. Lysophosphatidylcholine is a Major Component of Platelet Microvesicles Promoting Platelet Activation and Reporting Atherosclerotic Plaque Instability. Thromb Haemost. 2019;119(8):1295-1310.
8. Stehli J, Koh JQS, Duffy SJ, Zamani J, Yeong CC, Paratz E, Martin C, Htun N, Stub D, Dick R, Walton A. Comparison of Outcomes of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation in Patients Aged >90 Years Versus <90 Years. Am J Cardiol. 2019. (Article in press)
9. Zhou J, Liew D, Duffy SJ, Walton A, Htun N, Stub D. Cost-effectiveness of transcatheter aortic valve implantation compared to surgical aortic valve replacement in the intermediate surgical risk population. Int J Cardiol. 2019. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Attinger-Toller A*, Htun N*, Murdoch D, Perlman GY, Alenezi A, Sathananthan J, Blanke P, Leipsic J, Thompson C, Ye J, Cheung A, Wood D, Webb JG. Transcatheter Aortic Valve-in-Valve Implantation For Failed Surgical Bioprosthetic Valves. A Minimalist Approach Without Contrast Aortography or Echocardiographic Guidance. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 (Accepted for publication). (*Equally contributed first authors)
11. Wood DA, Lauck SB, Cairns JA, Humphries KH, Cook R, Welsh R, Leipsic J, Genereux P, Moss R, Jue J, Blanke P, Cheung A, Ye J, Dvir D, Umedaly H, Klein R, Rondi R, Poulter R, Stub D, Barbanti B, Fahmy P, Htun N, Murdoch D, Prakash R, Barker M, Nickel K, Thakkar J, Sathananthan J, Tyrell B, Al-Qoofi F, Velianou JL, Natarajan MK, Wijeysundera HC, Radhakrishnan S, Horlick E, Osten M, Buller C, Peterson M, Asgar A, Palisaitis D, Masson JB, Kodali S, Nazif T, Thourani V, Babaliaros VC, Cohen DJ, Park JE, Leon MB, Webb JG. The Vancouver 3M (Multidisciplinary, Multimodality, But Minimalist) Clinical Pathway Facilitates Safe Next-Day Discharge Home at Low-, Medium-, and High-Volume Transfemoral Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Centers: The 3M TAVR Study. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2019; 12 (5): 459-469.
12. Zaldivia MTK, Hering D, Marusic P, Sata Y, Lee R, Esler MD, Htun N, Duval J, Hammond L, Flierl U, Wang X, Drummond GR, Walton A, Gardiner EE, Andrews RK, Schlaich MP, Peter K. Successful Renal Denervation Decreases the Platelet Activation Status in Hypertensive Patients. Cardiovasc Res. 2019 [Epub ahead of print].
13. Tang GHL, Zaid S, George I, Khalique OK, Abramowitz Y, Maeno Y, Makkar RR, Jilaihawi H, Kamioka N, Thourani VH, Babaliaros V, Webb JG, Htun N, Attinger-Toller A, Ahmad H, Kaple R, Sharma K, Kozina JA, Kaneko T, Shah P, Hirji SA, Desai ND, Anwaruddin S, Jagasia D, Herrmann HC, Basra SS, Szerlip MA, Mack MJ, Mathur M, W. Tan CW, Don CW, Sharma R, Gafoor S, Zhang M, Kapadia SR, Mick SL, Krishnaswamy A, Amoroso N, Salemi A, Wong SC, Kini AS, Rodes-Cabau J, Leon MB and Kodali SK. Impact of Aortic Root Anatomy and Geometry on Paravalvular Leak in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement With Extremely Large Annuli Using the Edwards SAPIEN 3 Valve. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018;11(14):1377-1387.
14. Htun N, Gidon PY, Dvir D, Attinger-Toller A, Martucci G, Wood D, Piazza N, Webb JG. A Novel Valvuloplasty Scoring Balloon Catheter for Aortic Stenosis, Structural Heart, 2017;1:5-6, 285-290, DOI: 10.1080/24748706.2017.1378459
15. Perlman G, Puri R, Praz F, Ofek H, Ye J, Philippon F, Carrel T, Pibarot P, Attinger A, Htun N, Dvir D, Moss R, Campelo-Parada F, Reineke D, Moschovitis A, Lauck S, Blanke P, Leipsic J, Windecker S, Rodes-Cabau J, Webb J. Transcatheter tricuspid valve repair with a new transcatheter coaptation device for the treatment of severe tricuspid regurgitation – one year clinical and echocardiographic results. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10(19):1994-2003.
16. Lauck S, Kwon J, Wood D, Baumbusch J, Norekval TM, Htun N, Stephenson L, Webb J. Avoidance of Urinary Catheterization to Minimize In-Hospital Complications after Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation: An Observational Study. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2017:1474515117716590.
17. Brunner NW, Yue SF, Stub D, Ye J, Cheung A, Leipsic J, Lauck S, Dvir D, Perlman G, Htun N, Fahmy P, Prakash R, Eng L, Cairns JA, Webb JG, Wood DA. The Prognostic Importance of the Diastolic Pulmonary Gradient, Transpulmonary Gradient, and Pulmonary Vascular Resistance in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 (Epub ahead of print).
18. Zaldivia MTK, Rivera J, Hering D, Marusic P, Sata Y, Lim B, Eikelis N, Lee R, Lambert GW, Esler MD, Htun N, Duval J, Hammond L, Eisenhardt SU, Flierl U, Schlaich MP, Peter K. Renal Denervation Reduces Monocyte Activation and Monocyte-Platelet Aggregate Formation. Hypertension. 2016;69(2):323-331.
19. Htun N, Webb J. Evaluation of the Edwards SAPIEN 3 Transcatheter Valve for Aortic Stenosis. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2016;13(3):225-32.
20. Webb J, Htun N. Transcatheter Options for the Treatment of Noncalcified Aortic Regurgitation. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;8(14):1850-3.
21. Htun N, Peter K. Non-vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants (NOACs) in the cardiac catheterisation laboratory: Friends or Foes? Thromb Haemost. 2015;114(2):214-6.
22. Htun N, Peter K. Biomarkers for AAA: Encouraging steps but clinical relevance still to be delivered. Proteomics Clin Appl. 2014;8(9-10):732-4.
23. Chen YC, Bui AV, Diesch J, Manasseh R, Hausding C, Rivera J, Haviv I, Agrotis A, Htun N, Jowett J, Hagemeyer CE, Hannan RD, Bobik A, Peter K. A novel mouse model of atherosclerotic plaque instability for drug testing and mechanistic/therapeutic discoveries using gene and microRNA expression profiling. Circ Res. 2013;113(3):252-65.
24. Htun N, Peter K. Coagulation disorders and aortic stenosis: A chicken and egg story? J Thromb Haemost. 2013;11(4):731-2.
25. Maeder M, Thompson BR, Htun N, Kaye DM. Hemodynamic determinants of the abnormal cardiopulmonary exercise response in heart failure with preserved left ventricular ejection fraction. J Card Fail. 2012;18(9):702-10.
26. Habersberger J, Strang F, Scheichl A, Htun N, Bassler N, Merivirta RM, Diehl P, Krippner G, Meikle P, Eisenhardt SU, Meredith I, Peter K. Circulating microparticles generate and transport monomeric C-reactive protein in patients with myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Res. 2012;96(1):64-72.
27. von zur Muhlen C, Schiffer E, Sackmann C, Zürbig P, Neudorfer I, Zirlik A, Htun N, Iphöfer A, Jänsch L, Mischak H, Bode C, Chen YC, Peter K. Urine proteome analysis reflects atherosclerotic disease in an ApoE-/- mouse model and allows the discovery of new biomarkers in mouse and human atherosclerosis. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012;11(7):M111.013847.
28. Diehl P, Fricke A, Sander L, Stamm J, Bassler N, Htun N, Ziemann M, Helbing T, El-Osta A, Jowett JB, Peter K. Microparticles: major transport vehicles for distinct miRNAs in circulation. Cardiovasc Res. 2012;15;93(4):633-44.
29. Strang F, Scheichl A, Chen YC, Wang X, Htun N, Bassler N, Eisenhardt SU, Habersberger J, Peter K. Amyloid plaques dissociate pentameric to monomeric C Reactive Protein: A novel pathomechanism driving cortical inflammation in Alzheimer’s disease? Brain Pathol. 2011;22(3):337-46.
30. Maeder MT, Karapanagiotidis S, Dewar EM, Gamboni SE, Htun N, Kaye DM. Accuracy of Doppler Echocardiography to Estimate Key Hemodynamic Variables in Subjects With Normal Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction. J Card Fail. 2011; 17(5):405-12.
More research publications available upon request.View More