Associate Professor Dion Stub is a clinician, interventional cardiologist and a specialist in structural heart procedures. Dion has a particular interest in treating the cardiac emergencies of myocardial infarction and cardiac arrest.
Dion has published over 65 peer reviewed manuscripts and has been internationally recognised for his research. He has delivered multiple presentations on both cardiac emergencies and structural heart intervention.
Dr Stub currently holds the prestigious National Heart Foundation Fellowship to support his clinical research. He is an Associate Professor with Monash University and Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, medical advisor to Ambulance Victoria and representative on Australia Resuscitation Council.
Dr Stub graduated from Monash University in 2003 and undertook cardiology training at The Alfred Hospital. He was awarded his PhD in 2013, developing Australia’s first treatment pathway for patients with refractory cardiac arrest through combined research at the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute and The Alfred Hospital.
Dion spent 2 years overseas as a postdoctoral fellow, with the support of a Victoria Fellowship, Royal College of Physicians and Australian Cardiac Society awards. He first worked at the University of Washington, Seattle and then spent 12 months at St Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver as an interventional fellow, working with Prof John Webb, an international expert in transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
He is a staff specialist at the Alfred Hospital and Western Health and has rooms at Cabrini Hospital Malvern.
Dion is married with 3 children, a keen sportsman and passionate Carlton Supporter.
Procedures & Conditions
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Coronary Intervention
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Structural Heart Interventions
- Coronary Angiography
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation Management & Cannulation
- Aortic Stenosis
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Ischaemic Heart Disease
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Myocardial Infarction
- Angina Pectoris
Interventional CardiologistAlfred Hospital Heart Centre 2015
Interventional CardiologistWestern Health 2015
Associate ProfessorBaker IDI Heart & Diabetes Institute Monash University 2015
Ambulance VictoriaSenior Medical Advisor 2016
Australian Resuscitation Council2016
Viertel Foundation Clinical Investigator Award
AMREP ECF Clinical trial of year award
Finalist Australian Clinical Trial of the Year Award
Baker IDI Early Career Researcher clinical trial year award
American Heart Association Young Investigator Award
Paul Korner Research Award
CSANZ Interventional Fellowship Award
FRACP Bayer Australia Fellow
Rod Andrew Research Award
National Heart Foundation PhD Scholarship
Australian Cardiac Society Scholarship
Baker IDI Institute Bright Sparks Award
Research & Publications
1. Biswas S, Seman M, Cox N etal. Impact of limited English proficiency on presentation and outcomes of patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Intern Med J. 2018 Apr;48(4):457-461.
2. Bray J, Hein C, Smith K etal. Oxygen titration after resuscitation from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: A multi-centre, randomised controlled pilot study (the EXACT pilot trial). Resuscitation. 2018 (epub ahead of print).
3. Sepehrvand N, James SK, Stub D, etal. Effects of supplemental oxygen therapy in patients with suspected acute myocardial infarction: a meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Heart. 2018 Mar 29 (ahead of print).
4. Costello BT, Stub D, Hare J etal. Comparison of Magnetic Resonance Analysis of Myocardial Scarring With Biomarker Release Following S-T Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Heart Lung Circ. 2018 Feb 21.
5. Cartledge S, Feldman S, Bray JE, Stub D, Understanding patients and spouses experiences of patient education following a cardiac event and eliciting attitudes and preferences towards incorporating cardiopulmonary resuscitation training: A qualitative study. J Adv Nurs. 2018 May;74(5):1157-1169
6. Stub D, Lefkovits J, Brennan A,etal. The Establishment of the Victorian Cardiac Outcomes Registry (VCOR): Monitoring and Optimizing Outcomes for Cardiac Patients in Victoria. Heart Lung Circ. 2018 Apr;27(4):451-463
7. Biswas S, Duffy SJ, Lefkovits J etal. Australian Trends in Procedural Characteristics and Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2018 Feb 1;121(3):279-288
8. Cox N, Brennan A, Dinh D, Brien R, et al. Implementing Sustainable Data Collection for a Cardiac Outcomes Registry in an Australian Public Hospital. Heart Lung Circ. 2018 Apr;27(4):464-468
9. Yudi MB, Hamilton G, Farouque O et al. Trends and Impact of Door-to-Balloon Time on Clinical Outcomes in Patients Aged <75, 75 to 84, and ≥85 Years With ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2017 Oct 15;120(8):1245-1253.
10. Starks MA, Schmicker RH, Peterson ED et al. Association of Neighborhood Demographics With Out-ofHospital Cardiac Arrest Treatment and Outcomes: Where You Live May Matter. JAMA Cardiol. 2017 Oct 1;2(10):1110-1118
11. Brunner NW, Yue SF, Stub D, The prognostic importance of the diastolic pulmonary gradient, transpulmonary gradient, and pulmonary vascular resistance in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 Dec 1;90(7):
12. Dawson LP, Warren J, Mundisugih J, et al. Trends and Clinical Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Primary Percutaneous Revascularisation for ST-elevation Myocardial Infarction: A Single Centre Experience. Heart Lung Circ. 2017 Jul 14. Epub ahead of print
13. Cartledge S, Finn J, Bray JE, Incorporating cardiopulmonary resuscitation training into a cardiac rehabilitation programme: A feasibility study. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2017 Jul.
14. Cartledge S, Finn J, Straney L, Ngu P, Stub D et al. The barriers associated with emergency medical service use for acute coronary syndrome: the awareness and influence of an Australian public mass media campaign. Emerg Med J. Emerg Med J. 2017 Jul;34(7):466-471
15. Bray JE, Stub D, Bloom JE etal, Changing target temperature from 33°C to 36°C in the ICU management of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: A before and after study. Resuscitation. 2017 Apr;113:39- 43.
16. Perlman GY, Cheung A, Dumont E, Stub D et al. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement with the Portico valve: one-year results of the early Canadian experience. EuroIntervention. 2017 Jan 20;12(13):1653- 1659
17. Stub D, Smith K, Bernard S, et al. Response to Letter Regarding Article, “Air Versus Oxygen in STSegment-Elevation Myocardial Infarction”. Circulation. 2016 Jan 19;133(3):e29.
18. Sharma R, Stub D. Controversies in Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Interventional Cardiology Clinics. October 2016; 5 (4), 551–559.
19. Dvir D, Cheung A,..Stub D, Banai S, Webb J. Transapical mitral valve implantation after unclipping of a MitraClip: a glimpse into the future and treatment considerations in mitral regurgitation. EuroIntervention. 2016 Jun 12;12(2):e244-9
20. Nehme Z, Stub D, Bernard S, et al. Effect of supplemental oxygen exposure on myocardial injury in STelevation myocardial infarction. Heart. 2016 Mar;102(6):444-51.
21. Eastwood GM, Schneider AG…Stub D et al. Targeted therapeutic mild hypercapnia after cardiac arrest: A phase II multi-centre randomised controlled trial (the CCC trial). Resuscitation. 2016 Jul;104:83-90
22. Lauck SB, Wood DA…Stub D et al. Vancouver Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Clinical PathwayMinimalist Approach, Standardized Care, and Discharge Criteria to Reduce Length of Stay. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2016;9:312-321.
23. Cartledge SH, Bray JE, Leary M, Stub D, Finn J. A systematic Review of basic life support training targeted to family members of high-risk cardiac patients. Resuscitation. 2016 May 18;105:70-78
24. Cartledge SH, Bray JE, Stub D, Krum H, Finn J. Do Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs Offer Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Training in Australia and New Zealand? Heart Lung Circ. 2016 Jun;25(6):607-12
25. Grunau B, Reynolds J…Stub D et al. Relationship between Time-to-ROSC and Survival in Out-ofhospital Cardiac Arrest ECPR Candidates: When is the Best Time to Consider Transport to Hospital? Prehosp Emerg Care. 2016 Mar 28:1-8.
26. Grunau B, Scheuermeyer FX, Stub D etal. Potential Candidates for a Structured Canadian ECPR Program for Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. CJEM. 2016 Nov;18(6):453-460
27. Elmer J, Torres C…Stub D et al. Association of early withdrawal of life-sustaining therapy for perceived neurological prognosis with mortality after cardiac arres. Resuscitation. 2016 May;102:127-35.
28. Stub D, Smith K, Bernard S, et al. Air Versus Oxygen in ST-segment Myocardial Infarction. Circulation. 2015 Jun 16;131(24):2143-50.
29. Stub D, Lauck S, Lee M et al. Regional Systems of Care to Optimize Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015 Dec 28;8(15):1944-51.
30. Del Trigo M, Dahou A, Webb JG…Stub D et al. Self-expanding Portico Valve Versus Balloon-expandable SAPIEN XT Valve in Patients With Small Aortic Annuli. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed). 2015 Dec 28.
More research publications available on request.View More
Abstracts and Oral Presentation at Cardiac Conferences
- Invited Lecture – ECMO CPR for refractory cardiac arrest AHA 2017
- Invited Lecture – Tips and Tricks in TAVI procedures CSANZ 2017
- Invited Lecture – Role of Thrombolysis in STEMI – STEMI management meeting Brisbane 2017
- Invited Lecture – Cardiology Updates in cardiac arrest Spark of Life 2017
- Invited Lecture – VCOR PCI summary and outcomes CSANZ 2016
- Invited Lecture – Role of Oxygen in AMI – American College of Cardiology Chicago 2016
- Invited Lecture – Management of Cardiac Arrest – Melbourne Heart Failure Symposium 2015
- Invited Lecture – AUS ROC Post Resuscitation Care – Melbourne 2015
- Invited lecture – Alfred and Western Grand rounds AVOID trial Melbourne 2015
- Invited Lecture – Transcatheter Valve technology meeting, Vancouver 2014. Late breaking clinical trial – AVOID study – Chicago AHA 2014
- Invited Lecture – Management of Refractory Cardiac Arrest – Vancouver City wide rounds – 2014
- Invited Lecture – Resuscitation Systems of Care – Spark of Life Conference – 2013
- Invited Lecture – Extra Corporeal Facilitated CPR – Australian ECMO symposium – 2012
- Invited Lecture – Cardiac Arrest Care – Australian Experience – Resuscitation Rounds Seattle 2012
- Invited Lecture – Controversies in ACS Management. ACS Experts Forum Eli-Lilly Sydney 2012