Associate Professor Sonny Palmer is a Consultant Cardiologist with subspecialty expertise in Coronary and Structural Heart Intervention.
Sonny graduated from The University of Melbourne and completed his clinical training in Cardiology at the prestigious St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne. He then completed subspecialty training in Coronary and Structural Heart Intervention at St Vincent’s Hospital and James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom (Edwards Lifescience’s Benchmark Site).
Sonny is the Clinical Lead of the Structural Heart Program at St Vincent’s Public and Private Hospitals. He performs balloon aortic valvuloplasty, transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) and patent foramen ovale (PFO) and atrial septal defect (ASD) closure. He is a Proctor for Edwards Lifesciences and helps train future interventional and structural cardiologists.
Sonny’s other clinical interest is cardiovascular risk factor assessment and management of coronary artery disease. He has sub-specialty expertise in coronary intervention and is an accredited specialist in Cardiac CT.
Sonny is a Clinical Associate Professor at The University of Melbourne. He was awarded his Doctorate at The University of Melbourne in 2016 investigating the role of the microvascular circulation in coronary artery disease and acute myocardial infarction. He was the recipient of the prestigious National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and the National Heart Foundation (NHF) scholarships.
Sonny is actively involved in clinical research and has over 55 manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals. He has been involved in several pioneering interventional trials. He is a supervisor of higher research degree candidates, FRACP physician trainees, junior doctors and Doctor of Medicine students.
Procedures & Conditions
- Transfemoral and Alternative access Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Valve in Valve Aortic Valve Replacement
- Trans-aortic TAVI procedures (with a Cardiac Surgeon)
- Transfemoral and Alternative Access TAVI
- Percutaneous PFO Closure
- Percutaneous ASD Closure
- Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair
- Aortic Stenosis
- Heart attacks and Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Atrial Septal Defect
- Stroke with Patent Foramen Ovale
Consultant Interventional Cardiologist and Clinical Lead for the Structural Heart ProgramKnox Private Hospital Present
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) Accredited PractitionerSt. Vincent’s Private and Public Hospital's Melbourne 2017
Structural and Interventional CardiologistSt. Vincent’s Private and Public Hospital's Melbourne 2016
Consultant Cardiology ServiceAmbulance Victoria 2017 - 2018
Structural and Interventional Cardiology FellowJames Cook University Hospital 2015 - 2016
Interventional Cardiology FellowSt. Vincent’s Hospital 2014 - 2015
Interventional Cardiology Research FellowSt. Vincent’s Hospital 2014 - 2015
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ)
2013 & 2014
National Health and Medical Research Council Scholarship
Heart Foundation Postgraduate Scholarship
The Bill Heath Fellowship - St Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research
Viola Edith Reid Bequest - Faculty Research (Trust Funded) Scholarship
Registrar’s Research Prize 2012 (Runner Up) - Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Victoria Division
Research & Publications
1. Jin D, Kao CY, Darby J, Palmer S. Salmonella typhimurium myopericarditis: A case report and review of literature. World J Cardiol. 2020 Jan 26;12(1):67-75.
2. Ha, FJ, Bissland K, Mandrawa C, Palmer SC. Frailty in patients with aortic stenosis awaiting intervention: a comprehensive review. Intern Med J. 2020 Jan 6 (Epub ahead of print).
3. Jin D, Adams H, Cocco AM, Martin WG, Palmer S. Smartphones and wearable technology: benefits and concerns in cardiology. Med J Aust. 2020 Feb;212(2):54-56.
4. Ha FJ, Adams H, Palmer S. Device closure for patent foramen ovale in patients with cryptogenic stroke: a paradigm in evidence. Med J Aust. 2019. 211 (8): 343-344.
5. Ha, FJ., Agarwal, S., Tweed, K., Palmer, SC., Adams, HS., Thillai, M., Williams, L. Imaging on Suspected Cardiac Sarcoidosis: A Diagnostic Challenge. Curr Cardiol Rev. 2019 July 25.
6. Paleri, S., Tham, JLM., Jin, D., Chan, YS., Wright, C., Baradi, A., Whitbourn, RJ., Adams, HSL., Palmer, SC. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation for severe aortic stenosis in the Australian regional population. Aust J Rural Health. 2019 Jun;27(3):229-236.
7. Tham, JLM., Adams, H., Paleri, S., Wright, C., Dimitriou, J., Newcomb, A., MacIsaac, AI., Whitbourn, RJ., Palmer SC. Clinical outcomes of self-expandable vs. balloon-expandable TAVI for severe aortic stenosis. Acta Cardiol. 2019 Apr 1:1-8.
8. Ha, FJ., Tham, JLM., Paleri, S., Wright, C., Yap, KK., Adams, HS., Whitbourn, RJ., Palmer, SC. Outcomes of incidental findings on multi-detector computed tomography for transcatheter aortic valve implantation assessment: A single-centre study and review of the literature. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2019 Mar 15.
9. Adams H. S., Ashokkumar S, Newcomb A, MacIsaac A.I., Whitbourn R. J., Palmer S. A Contemporary Review of Severe Aortic Stenosis. Intern Med J. 2019 Mar;49(3):297-305.
10. Palmer, S, Layland J, Adams H, Ashokkumar S, Williams P.D, Judkins C, La Gerche A, Burns A.T, Whitbourn R.J, MacIsaac A.I, Wilson A.M. Measurement of microvascular function in patients presenting with thrombolysis for ST elevation myocardial infarction, and PCI for non-ST elevation myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2018. 19; 917-922.
11. Jackson M.W.P, Muir D.F, de Belder M.A, Palmer S, Owens W.A, Goodwin A, Hayat U, Williams P.D. Transradial Secondary Access to Guide Valve Implantation and Manage Peripheral Vascular Complications During Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Apr;28(4):637-646.
12. Tong, D.C., Whitbourn, R., MacIsaac, A., Wilson, A., Burns, A., Palmer, S., Layland J. High-Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein Is a Predictor of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction in Patients with Ischemic Heart Disease. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2018 Jan 12; 4: 81.
13. Adams, H., Martin, W., Wilson, A. M., Palmer, S. Radiation therapy induced cardiovascular disease. Heart Vessels & Transplantation. 2017. 1: 82-89.
14. Adams, H., Paratz, E., Somaratne, J., Layland, J., Burns, A., Palmer, S., MacIsaac, A., Whitbourn, R. Different patients, different outcomes: A case-control study of spontaneous coronary artery dissection versus acute coronary syndrome. J Interv Cardiol. 2017 Sep 20.
15. Palmer, S., Child, N., de Belder, M. A., Muir, D. F., Williams, P. D. Left Atrial Appendage Thrombus in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: Incidence, Clinical Impact and the Role of Cardiac Computed Tomography. Journal of American College of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Interventions. 2017. Jan 23. 10 (2): 176-84
16. Palmer, S., Muir, D. F., de Belder, M. A., Williams, P. D. Does Direct TAVR Increase the Risk of Cerebral Embolization? Journal of American College of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Interventions. 2016. Feb 8;9(3):302-3.
17. Palmer, S., Layland, J., Carrick, D., Williams, P. D., Judkins, C., Gong, FF., Burns, A, T., Whitbourn, R., MacIsaac, A. I., Wilson, A.M. The Index of Microcirculatory Resistance Post Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Predicts Left Ventricular Recovery in Patients with Thrombolysed ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Journal of Interventional Cardiology. 2016. 9999: 1–9
18. Bandali A, Parry-Williams G, Kassam A, Palmer S, Williams P.D, de Belder M.A, Owens A, Goodwin A, Muir D.F. Direct transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation without balloon pre-dilatation using the Edwards Sapien XT valve. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 May 18.
19. Zweng I, Shi WY, Palmer S, MacIsaac A, Whitbourn R, Davis P, Newcomb AE. Transcatheter versus Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in High-risk Patients: A propensity-score matched analysis. Heart Lung Circ. 2016 Feb 11.
20. Layland, J., Nerlekar, N., Palmer, S. Berry C., Oldroyd, K. Invasive Assessment of the Coronary Microcirculation in the Catheter Laboratory. Int J Cardiol. 2015. 199; 141-9.
21. Paratz, E. Palmer, S. Mariani, J. The Cardiac Complications of Obesity. Medicine Today. 2015. 16 (11);34-41.
22. Williams, P. D., Barlis, P., Palmer, S., Whitbourn, R. Plaque Rupture Within a 16-Year-Old Bare Metal Stent. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2014 Apr;30(4):464.e15-6.
23. Palmer, S., Wilson, A. M. Judkins, C. Williams, P. D. The Adenosine Mediated Effect Of Ticagrelor and Accuracy of Fractional Flow Reserve; Letter to the Editor. Journal of American College of Cardiology. 2013. 62 (7);644–648.
24. Palmer, S., Judkins, C. Williams, P. D. Renal Sympathetic Nerve Denervation For The Treatment of Resistant Hypertension. The Medical Journal of Australia. 2013. 199 (3): 160-161.
25. Layland, J., Judkins, C., Palmer, S., Whitbourn, R., Wilson O’Brien, A., MacIsaac, A., Wilson, A., The Resting Status of Coronary Microcirculation is a Predictor of Microcirculatory Function Following Elective PCI for Stable Angina. International Journal of Cardiology. 2013. 169 (2): 121-125.
26. Palmer, S., Wilson, A. M. Assessing Ischaemia in Stable Angina. Cardiology Today. 2012. 2(1); 23-26.
27. Stokes, M. B., Palmer, S., Moneghetti, K. J., Mariani, J. A., Wilson, A. M. Asystole Following Complex Partial Seizures. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2012. Epub. Aug 6.
28. Palmer, S., Mariani, J. A., Newcomb, A., Stokes, M. B., Burns, A. T. Successful Application of a PressureWire Retrogradely across an ATS Prosthetic Aortic Valve to Diagnose Constrictive Pericarditis. Cardiovascular and Revascularisation Medicine 2012. 13. Epub. May 25th.View More
- Conference Attendance and Presentations1. Code STEMI Code STROKE. Australian and New Zealand Endovascular Therapies (ANZET). August 2017.
- The Fellow’s Experience. Australian and New Zealand Endovascular Therapies (ANZET). August 2014.
- Renal Denervation. The Italian Medical Society of Victoria. May 2013.
- Fractional Flow Reserve. Interventional Nurses Council of Victoria. May 2013
- Resistant Hypertension and Renal Denervation. Cardiology in the Forest – New Developments in Cardiology. Creswick. May 2012.
- In a Galaxy FFR Away: Stable Angina, Ischaemia and Fractional Flow Reserve. Eli Lily National Interventional Nurses Symposium. August 2011