Professor Michael Wilson is a leading cardiothoracic surgeon with clinical appointments at Macquarie University Hospital, Mater Hospital, Chris O’Brien Lifehouse, Northern Beaches Hospital and John Flynn Hospital Gold Coast. Professor Wilson has a special interest in the utilisation of emerging technologies and minimally invasive techniques to deal with complex heart and lung surgical problems. He holds an academic appointment at Macquarie University and has extensive experience in clinical and basic science research.
Professor Wilson graduated from The University of Sydney in 1984, completing his FRACS in general and cardiothoracic surgery at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He then completed a fellowship in transplantation surgery at Stanford University Hospital, California, and a cardiac surgery fellowship at Toronto General Hospital. Professor Wilson spent several years within the heart and lung transplant surgical unit at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney before returning to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in 2005. Professor Wilson is now establishing his practice at Northern Beaches Hospital. He has presented extensively at national and international conferences and authored or co-authored more than 70 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Professor Wilson has an international reputation for applying new technologies to complex heart and lung surgical problems. He is sought after for his expertise in managing patients with complex problems. He has been involved in several ‘first-in-man’ procedures and is a great advocate for teaching the next generation of surgeons to think outside the box and become innovative too.
1. Armitstead, J. P., C. D. Bertram, K. Schindhelm, M. K. Wilson, A. Nicholson, N. Gan, J. A. Mundy and P. M. Spratt (1999). “In vivo energetics of a muscle-powered cardiac assist device during training.” American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Bioengineering Division (Publication) BED 42: 229-230.
2. Beldholm, B. R., M. K. Wilson, R. M. Gallagher, D. Caminer, M. J. King and A. Glanville (2003). “Reconstruction of the trachea with a tubed radial forearm free flap”. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 126(2): 545-550.
3. Cao, C., S.C. Ang, M. P. Vallely, M. Ng, M. Adams and M. Wilson (2012). “Migration of the transcatheter valve into the left ventricle.” Annals of cardiothoracic surgery. 1(2):243-4
4. Chandrasegaram, M. D., D. S. Celermajer and M. K. Wilson (2007). “Apical ballooning syndrome complicated by acute severe mitral regurgitation with left ventricular outflow obstruction – Case report”. Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2(1). 14.
5. Chow, V., W. Wang, M. Wilson and J. Yiannikas (2012). “Thrombus in transit within a patent foramen ovale: An argument for consideration of prophylactic closure?” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound 40(2): 115-118.
6. Cooper, E. A., J. J. B. Edelman, D. Black, R. J. Brereton, D. E. Ross, P. G. Bannon, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2013). “Anaortic off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting in the elderly and very elderly.” Heart Lung and Circulation 22(12): 989-995.
7. Cooper, E. A., J. J. B. Edelman, M. K. Wilson, P. G. Bannon and M. P. Vallely (2011). “Off-pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting in Elderly and High-risk Patients – A Review.” Heart Lung and Circulation 20(11): 694-703.
8. Davies, A. R., D. Jones, M. Bailey, J. Beca, R. Bellomo, N. Blackwell, P. Forrest, D. Gattas, E. Granger, R. Herkes, A. Jackson, S. McGuinness, P. Nair, V. Pellegrino, V. Pettilä, B. Plunkett, R. Pye, P. Torzillo, S. Webb, M. Wilson and M. Ziegenfuss (2009). “Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for 2009 influenza A(H1N1) acute respiratory distress syndrome.” JAMA – Journal of the American Medical Association 302(17): 1888-1895.
9. Davies, R. A., D. Black, P. G. Bannon, M. S. Bayfield, P. N. Hendel, C. F. Hughes, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2013). “Outcomes of aortic arch replacement surgery after previous cardiac surgery.” ANZ Journal of Surgery 83(11): 827-832.
10. Davies, R. A., D. Black, R. W. Jeremy, P. G. Bannon, M. S. Bayfield, P. N. Hendel, C. F. Hughes, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2011). “Evolution in the Techniques and Outcomes of Aortic Arch Surgery: A 22 Year Single Centre Experience.” Heart Lung and Circulation 20(11): 704-711.
11. Dhurandhar,V., A. Saxena, R. Parikh, M. P Vallely, M. K Wilson, J. K. Butcher, D.A. Black, L. Tran, C. M Reid and P. G Bannon (2015). “Outcomes of On-Pump versus Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery in the High Risk (AusSCORE > 5)” Heart, Lung and Circulation In Press.
12. Edelman, J. J., T. D. Yan, P. G. Bannon, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2011). “Coronary artery bypass grafting with and without manipulation of the ascending aorta – A meta-analysis.” Heart Lung and Circulation 20(5): 318-324.
13. Edelman, J. J. B., A. G. Sherrah, M. K. Wilson, P. G. Bannon, R. J. Brereton, D. E. Ross and M. P. Vallely (2013). “Anaortic, total-arterial, off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery: Why bother?” Heart Lung and Circulation 22(3): 161-170.
14. Edelman, J. J. B., M. K. Wilson, P. G. Bannon and M. P. Vallely (2012). “Cardiac surgery versus stenting: What is better for the patient?” ANZ Journal of Surgery 82(11): 792-798.
15. Fann, J. I., M. K. Wilson, J. Theodore and B. A. Reitz (1998). “Combined heart and single-lung transplantation in complex congenital heart disease.” Annals of Thoracic Surgery 65(3): 823-825.
16. Forrest, P., J. Y. Cheong, M. P. Vallely, P. J. Torzillo, P. N. Hendel, M. K. Wilson, P. G. Bannon, M. S. Bayfield, R. Herkes and S. W. Walker (2011). “International retrieval of adults on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support.” Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 39(6): 1082-1085.
17. Forrest, P., J. Ratchford, B. Burns, R. Herkes, A. Jackson, B. Plunkett, P. Torzillo, P. Nair, E. Granger, M. Wilson and R. Pye (2011). “Retrieval of critically ill adults using extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: An Australian experience.” Intensive Care Medicine 37(5): 824-830.
18. Gray, B., B. P. Bailey, M. K. Wilson and S. Patel (2012). “Type A aortic dissection diagnosed at coronary angiography.” Heart Lung and Circulation 21(5): 300-301.
19. Harris, R. S., T. D. Yan, D. Black, P. G. Bannon, M. S. Bayfield, P. N. Hendel, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2013). “Outcomes of surgical aortic valve replacement in octogenarians.” Heart Lung and Circulation 22(8): 618-626.
20. Hing, A. J., M. Hicks, S. R. Garlick, L. Gao, S. H. Kesteven, S. C. Faddy, M. K. Wilson, M. P. Feneley and P. S. MacDonald (2007). “The effects of hormone resuscitation on cardiac function and hemodynamics in a porcine brain-dead organ donor model.” American Journal of Transplantation 7(4): 809-817.
21. Hing, A. J., A. Watson, M. Hicks, L. Gao, S. C. Faddy, A. C. McMahon, S. H. Kesteven, M. K. Wilson, P. Jansz, M. P. Feneley and P. S. MacDonald (2009). “Combining cariporide with glyceryl trinitrate optimizes cardiac preservation during porcine heart transplantation.” American Journal of Transplantation 9(9): 2048-2056.
22. Kotlyar, E., P. S. Macdonald, A. M. Keogh, R. H. Arnold, D. J. McCaffrey, M. K. Wilson and P. M. Spratt (2001). “Optimization of left ventricular function with carvedilol before high-risk cardiac surgery.” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 20(10): 1129-1131.
23. Martínez, G. J., B. H. Ng, M. K. Wilson, S. Pasupati, D. A. Robinson, B. L. Cartwright, M. R. Adams, D. S. Celermajer and M. K. Ng (2014). “Transcatheter valve-in-valve replacement in complex cyanotic congenital heart disease with a single ventricle.” JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions 7(10): e133-e135.
24. Martínez, G. J., M. Seco, S. K. Jaijee, M. R. Adams, B. L. Cartwright, P. Forrest, D. S. Celermajer, M. P. Vallely, M. K. Wilson and M. K. C. Ng (2014). “Introduction of an interdisciplinary heart team-based transcatheter aortic valve implantation programme: Short and mid-term outcomes.” Internal Medicine Journal 44(9): 876-883.
25. Nagahiro, I., M. Horton, M. Wilson, J. Bennetts, P. Spratt and A. R. Glanville (2003). “Pulmonary vein thrombosis treated successfully by thrombectomy after bilateral sequential lung transplantation: Report of a case.” Surgery Today 33(4): 282-284.
26. Ng, A. C. C., J. Yiannikas, A. S. C. Yong, L. Ridley, M. K. Wilson and L. Kritharides (2010). “Coronary ostial morphology after modified Bentall operation assessed with dual-source multidetector computed tomography.” Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography 4(3): 206-212.
27. Ozmen, J., E. K. Granger, D. Robinson, G. H. White and M. Wilson (2005). “Operation for adult patent ductus arteriosus using an aortic stent-graft technique.” Heart Lung and Circulation 14(1): 54-57.
28. Phan, T. G., T. G. Phan, A. Sakulsaengprapha and M. Wilson (1998). “Ruptured internal mammary artery aneurysm presenting as massive spontaneous haemothorax in a patient with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine 28(2): 210-211.
29. Rahnavardi, M., T. D. Yan, P. G. Bannon and M. K. Wilson (2011). “Aortic valve-sparing operations in aortic root aneurysms: Remodeling or reimplantation?” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery 13(2): 189-197.
30. Rahnavardi, M.,T. D. Yan, C. Cao, M. P. Vallely, P. G. Bannon and M. K. Wilson (2011). “Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: A systematic review.” Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 17(5): 435-445.
More research publications available on request.View More