Professor Michael Wilson is a leading cardiothoracic surgeon with clinical appointments at Macquarie University Hospital, Mater Hospital, Chris O’Brien Lifehouse, Northern Beaches Hospital and John Flynn Hospital Gold Coast.
Professor Wilson has a special interest in emerging technologies and minimally invasive techniques to manage and treat complex heart and lung surgical problems. He holds an academic appointment at Macquarie University and has presented extensively at national and international conferences and authored or co-authored more than 70 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Professor Wilson graduated from The University of Sydney in 1984, completing his FRACS in general and cardiothoracic surgery at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He then completed a fellowship in transplantation surgery at Stanford University Hospital, California, and a cardiac surgery fellowship at Toronto General Hospital.
In 2011 Professor Wilson along with Professor Michael Vallely travelled to East Carolina, USA for their first cardio-robot experience. Soon after they established Australia’s fully-integrated robotic cardio-thoracic surgery program covering coronary grafts, mitral valves and lungs. Their interest in minimally invasive cardiac surgery culminated in Macquarie University Hospital successfully completing its first Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (OPCABG) in 2017, using the da Vinci Xi Surgical System.
Professor Wilson spent several years within the heart and lung transplant surgical unit at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney before returning to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in 2005. Professor Wilson is now establishing his practice at Northern Beaches Hospital.
Professor Wilson has an international reputation for applying new technologies to complex heart and lung surgical problems. He is sought after for his expertise in managing patients with complex problems. He has been involved in several ‘first-in-man’ procedures and is a great advocate for teaching the next generation of surgeons to innovate and challenge existing ideas and techniques.
Procedures & Conditions
- Total-Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Anaortic Off-Pump Coronary Artery Surgery
- Da Vinci Robotic Mitral Repair
- Coronary Bypass
- Thoracic Oncologic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Video Thorascopic Assisted Heart (MICS) and Lung (VATS/MITS) Surgery
- Complex Aortic Root
- Arch and Thoraco-Abdominal Aortic Surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implant (TAVI)
- Transcatheter Mitral Valve Implantation
- Vats and Da Vinci Thoracic Resection
- Da Vinci Assist Mid Cab Coronary Bypass
- Structural Heart Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Aortic Disease
- Lung Cancer
- Thoracic Cancer
- Lung Disease
Cardiothoracic SurgeonMater Hospital 2018-Present
Cardiothoracic SurgeonMacquarie University Hospital 2011-Present
Cardiothoracic and Transplant SurgeonSt Vincent's Hospital, Sydney Australia 1998-2005
Consult in Cardiothoracic SurgeryRoyal Prince Alfred & Liverpool Hospital 1997
Fellow in Cardiovascular SurgeryThe Toronto General Hospital 1997
Fellow in Cardiovascular TransplantationStanford University Hospital 1996
Bachelor of Medicine, Surgery & Science (Medicine, Immunology)The University of Sydney 1985
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Trauma Committee, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
General Surgery Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Ventracor Medical Advisory Board
Edwards Prosthesis Advisory Board
Research & Publications
1. Armitstead, J. P., C. D. Bertram, K. Schindhelm, M. K. Wilson, A. Nicholson, N. Gan, J. A. Mundy and P. M. Spratt (1999). “In vivo energetics of a muscle-powered cardiac assist device during training.” American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Bioengineering Division (Publication) BED 42: 229-230.
2. Beldholm, B. R., M. K. Wilson, R. M. Gallagher, D. Caminer, M. J. King and A. Glanville (2003). “Reconstruction of the trachea with a tubed radial forearm free flap”. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 126(2): 545-550.
3. Cao, C., S.C. Ang, M. P. Vallely, M. Ng, M. Adams and M. Wilson (2012). “Migration of the transcatheter valve into the left ventricle.” Annals of cardiothoracic surgery. 1(2):243-4
4. Chandrasegaram, M. D., D. S. Celermajer and M. K. Wilson (2007). “Apical ballooning syndrome complicated by acute severe mitral regurgitation with left ventricular outflow obstruction – Case report”. Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2(1). 14.
5. Chow, V., W. Wang, M. Wilson and J. Yiannikas (2012). “Thrombus in transit within a patent foramen ovale: An argument for consideration of prophylactic closure?” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound 40(2): 115-118.
6. Cooper, E. A., J. J. B. Edelman, D. Black, R. J. Brereton, D. E. Ross, P. G. Bannon, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2013). “Anaortic off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting in the elderly and very elderly.” Heart Lung and Circulation 22(12): 989-995.
7. Cooper, E. A., J. J. B. Edelman, M. K. Wilson, P. G. Bannon and M. P. Vallely (2011). “Off-pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting in Elderly and High-risk Patients – A Review.” Heart Lung and Circulation 20(11): 694-703.
8. Davies, A. R., D. Jones, M. Bailey, J. Beca, R. Bellomo, N. Blackwell, P. Forrest, D. Gattas, E. Granger, R. Herkes, A. Jackson, S. McGuinness, P. Nair, V. Pellegrino, V. Pettilä, B. Plunkett, R. Pye, P. Torzillo, S. Webb, M. Wilson and M. Ziegenfuss (2009). “Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for 2009 influenza A(H1N1) acute respiratory distress syndrome.” JAMA – Journal of the American Medical Association 302(17): 1888-1895.
9. Davies, R. A., D. Black, P. G. Bannon, M. S. Bayfield, P. N. Hendel, C. F. Hughes, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2013). “Outcomes of aortic arch replacement surgery after previous cardiac surgery.” ANZ Journal of Surgery 83(11): 827-832.
10. Davies, R. A., D. Black, R. W. Jeremy, P. G. Bannon, M. S. Bayfield, P. N. Hendel, C. F. Hughes, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2011). “Evolution in the Techniques and Outcomes of Aortic Arch Surgery: A 22 Year Single Centre Experience.” Heart Lung and Circulation 20(11): 704-711.
11. Dhurandhar,V., A. Saxena, R. Parikh, M. P Vallely, M. K Wilson, J. K. Butcher, D.A. Black, L. Tran, C. M Reid and P. G Bannon (2015). “Outcomes of On-Pump versus Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery in the High Risk (AusSCORE > 5)” Heart, Lung and Circulation In Press.
12. Edelman, J. J., T. D. Yan, P. G. Bannon, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2011). “Coronary artery bypass grafting with and without manipulation of the ascending aorta – A meta-analysis.” Heart Lung and Circulation 20(5): 318-324.
13. Edelman, J. J. B., A. G. Sherrah, M. K. Wilson, P. G. Bannon, R. J. Brereton, D. E. Ross and M. P. Vallely (2013). “Anaortic, total-arterial, off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery: Why bother?” Heart Lung and Circulation 22(3): 161-170.
14. Edelman, J. J. B., M. K. Wilson, P. G. Bannon and M. P. Vallely (2012). “Cardiac surgery versus stenting: What is better for the patient?” ANZ Journal of Surgery 82(11): 792-798.
15. Fann, J. I., M. K. Wilson, J. Theodore and B. A. Reitz (1998). “Combined heart and single-lung transplantation in complex congenital heart disease.” Annals of Thoracic Surgery 65(3): 823-825.
16. Forrest, P., J. Y. Cheong, M. P. Vallely, P. J. Torzillo, P. N. Hendel, M. K. Wilson, P. G. Bannon, M. S. Bayfield, R. Herkes and S. W. Walker (2011). “International retrieval of adults on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support.” Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 39(6): 1082-1085.
17. Forrest, P., J. Ratchford, B. Burns, R. Herkes, A. Jackson, B. Plunkett, P. Torzillo, P. Nair, E. Granger, M. Wilson and R. Pye (2011). “Retrieval of critically ill adults using extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: An Australian experience.” Intensive Care Medicine 37(5): 824-830.
18. Gray, B., B. P. Bailey, M. K. Wilson and S. Patel (2012). “Type A aortic dissection diagnosed at coronary angiography.” Heart Lung and Circulation 21(5): 300-301.
19. Harris, R. S., T. D. Yan, D. Black, P. G. Bannon, M. S. Bayfield, P. N. Hendel, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2013). “Outcomes of surgical aortic valve replacement in octogenarians.” Heart Lung and Circulation 22(8): 618-626.
20. Hing, A. J., M. Hicks, S. R. Garlick, L. Gao, S. H. Kesteven, S. C. Faddy, M. K. Wilson, M. P. Feneley and P. S. MacDonald (2007). “The effects of hormone resuscitation on cardiac function and hemodynamics in a porcine brain-dead organ donor model.” American Journal of Transplantation 7(4): 809-817.
21. Hing, A. J., A. Watson, M. Hicks, L. Gao, S. C. Faddy, A. C. McMahon, S. H. Kesteven, M. K. Wilson, P. Jansz, M. P. Feneley and P. S. MacDonald (2009). “Combining cariporide with glyceryl trinitrate optimizes cardiac preservation during porcine heart transplantation.” American Journal of Transplantation 9(9): 2048-2056.
22. Kotlyar, E., P. S. Macdonald, A. M. Keogh, R. H. Arnold, D. J. McCaffrey, M. K. Wilson and P. M. Spratt (2001). “Optimization of left ventricular function with carvedilol before high-risk cardiac surgery.” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 20(10): 1129-1131.
23. Martínez, G. J., B. H. Ng, M. K. Wilson, S. Pasupati, D. A. Robinson, B. L. Cartwright, M. R. Adams, D. S. Celermajer and M. K. Ng (2014). “Transcatheter valve-in-valve replacement in complex cyanotic congenital heart disease with a single ventricle.” JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions 7(10): e133-e135.
24. Martínez, G. J., M. Seco, S. K. Jaijee, M. R. Adams, B. L. Cartwright, P. Forrest, D. S. Celermajer, M. P. Vallely, M. K. Wilson and M. K. C. Ng (2014). “Introduction of an interdisciplinary heart team-based transcatheter aortic valve implantation programme: Short and mid-term outcomes.” Internal Medicine Journal 44(9): 876-883.
25. Nagahiro, I., M. Horton, M. Wilson, J. Bennetts, P. Spratt and A. R. Glanville (2003). “Pulmonary vein thrombosis treated successfully by thrombectomy after bilateral sequential lung transplantation: Report of a case.” Surgery Today 33(4): 282-284.
26. Ng, A. C. C., J. Yiannikas, A. S. C. Yong, L. Ridley, M. K. Wilson and L. Kritharides (2010). “Coronary ostial morphology after modified Bentall operation assessed with dual-source multidetector computed tomography.” Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography 4(3): 206-212.
27. Ozmen, J., E. K. Granger, D. Robinson, G. H. White and M. Wilson (2005). “Operation for adult patent ductus arteriosus using an aortic stent-graft technique.” Heart Lung and Circulation 14(1): 54-57.
28. Phan, T. G., T. G. Phan, A. Sakulsaengprapha and M. Wilson (1998). “Ruptured internal mammary artery aneurysm presenting as massive spontaneous haemothorax in a patient with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine 28(2): 210-211.
29. Rahnavardi, M., T. D. Yan, P. G. Bannon and M. K. Wilson (2011). “Aortic valve-sparing operations in aortic root aneurysms: Remodeling or reimplantation?” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery 13(2): 189-197.
30. Rahnavardi, M.,T. D. Yan, C. Cao, M. P. Vallely, P. G. Bannon and M. K. Wilson (2011). “Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: A systematic review.” Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 17(5): 435-445.
More research publications available on request.View More
- Bianco, A.C., J. Y. Chan, C. F. Hughes, B. C. McCaughan, M.S. Bayfield, P. N. Hendel, P. G. Bannon, M. K. Wilson and M. P. Vallely (2011). “ Readmissions After Cardiac Surgery: A 10 Year Study.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 20(4):272-272.
- Edelman, J., T.D. Yan, M.K. Wilson, P.G. Bannon and M.P. Vallely (2013). “Decreased Stroke When Avoiding Aortic Manipulation – An Updated Meta-Analysis.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 22(6):459.
- Edelman, J., T. Yan, M. Wilson, P. Bannon and M. Vallely (2011). “Radial artery versus saphenous vein as the second conduit in coronary artery bypass grafting—A meta-analysis of clinical outcomes.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 20(12):796–797.
- Hing, A., M. Hicks, L. Gao, S. C. Faddy, A. C. McMahon, S. H. Kesteven, M. P. Feneley, M. K. Wilson and P. S. Macdonald (2005). “Cariporide improves long term cardiac preservation in a porcine model of heart transplantation.” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 24(2): S153-S153
- Hing, A., M. Hicks, S. R. Garlick, L. Gao, S. H. Kesteven, M. K. Wilson, M. P. Feneley and P. S. Macdonald (2005). “Resuscitation of the brain dead donor heart using hormones in a porcine model.” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 24(2): S152-S153
- Jaijee,S., J. Yiannikis, M. Wilson, M. Vallely, M. Ng, D. Celermajer (2012). “Prevalence and resolution of pulmonary hypertension (PHT) in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI).” Heart, Lung and Circulation 21:S21–S22
- Jaijee, S., A. Mortada, D. Celermajer, M. Adams, B. Bailey, P. Forrest, L. Simmons, M. Wilson, M. Vallely and M. Ng (2011). “Early Outcomes from Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation – A Single Center Experience.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 20: S123
- James,J., B Edelman, M. Seco, B. Dunne, S. J. Matzelle, M. Murphy, P. Joshi, T. D Yan, M. K Wilson, P. G. Bannon, M. P Vallely and J. Passage (2013) “Systematic review protocol: single-dose histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate vs. intermittent crystalloid or blood cardioplegia.” Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery. 2(5):677
- Jansz,P., E. Kotlyar, M. K. Wilson, D. S. Winlaw, D. J. McCaffrey, R. H. Arnold, J. A. Charlton, A. M. Keogh, P. S. Macdonald and P. M. Spratt (2000). Mitral valve annuloplasty for the treatment of severe functional mitral regurgitation in association with refractory heart failure Heart Lung
- Mouline, O., M.K. Wilson, R. Puranik and T.Yan. (2011) “Surgical Ventricular Restoration for Ischaemic Heart Failure: Experience of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Cardiothoracic Surgical Unit.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 20(4):265-265
- Mouline, O., M.J. Sheriff, M.K. Wilson, M.P. Vallely and R. Puranik (2013). “MRI Predictors of Short-Term Outcomes After High Risk Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 22(6):477–47
- Roberts, P., M. Wilson, M. Valelly, B. Bailey and D. Celermajer (2010). “Novel Use of a Melody Percutaneous Pulmonary Valve in the Tricuspid Valve Position – First Reported Experience.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 19 (2): S14
- Ryan, J., M. Wilson, M. Hicks, S. Garlick, S. Kesteven, A. McCall, M. Feneley and P. Macdonald (2000). “Tirilizad supplemented cardioplegia: Results of a double blind randomised controlled trial in a porcine model of donor brain death and orthotopic cardiac transplantation.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 9(3): A184–A185
- Sheriff, M., M. Wilson, M. Vallely and R. Puranik (2010) “Cardiac MRI predictors of short-term outcomes in high risk CAG surgical patients.” Heart, Lung and Circulation 19(2):S168
- Sherrah, A., P. Bannon, R. Jeremy, R. Puranik, P. Brady, D. Marshman, M. Mathur, J. Brereton, J. Edwards, R. Stuklis, P. N. Hendel., M. Bayfield, M. Wilson and M. Vallely (2014). “Outcomes following Freestyle stentless aortic bioprosthesis implantation: The Australian experience up to 10 years.”
- ANZSCTS Annual Scientific Meeting; Wilson, M.K., M. Fullam, I. McLean, D. Lord and B. C. McCaughan (1996) “Positron emission tomography: A non-invasive method of staging pulmonary malignancy.” The Asia Pacific Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 5(1):53-53.