Professor Christian Hamilton-Craig is a Consultant Cardiologist with a special interest in non-invasive diagnostic cardiology, including echocardiography, stress echo, cardiac CT angiography and cardiovascular MRI. His clinical interests are; preventative cardiology, precision risk assessment, cholesterol & lipid disorders, valvular heart disease, heart failure, sports cardiology and indigenous health.
Prof Hamilton-Craig is the Dir Read More...
Procedures & Conditions
- Advanced Precision Risk Assessment
- Coronary Calcium Scoring
- CT Coronary Angiography
- Cardiac MRI
- Clinical Cardiac Consultation/Investigations
- Advanced Cardiac Risk Assessment & Precision Risk Profiling
- Minimally-Invasive Surgery Workup
- TAVI Workup
- Sports & Indigenous Health Cardiology
- Lipids and Cholesterol Disorders
- Atrial Fibrillation and Cardioversions
- Heart Failure
- Adult Congenital Disorders
- Chest Pain & Acute Coronary Syndromes
- Valvular Heart Disease
Director; Consultant CardiologistNoosa Hearts Cardiology 2018 - Present
Visiting CardiologistNoosa Hospital 2017 - Present
Visiting Medical SpecialistSt Vincent's Private Hospital 2010 - Present
Eminent Staff Specialist CardiologistThe Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane 2009 - 2021
Visiting CardiologistMater Private Hospital Brisbane 2009 - 2012
Visiting CardiologistGreenslopes Private Hospital 2009 - 2012
ProfessorThe University of Queensland 2021 - Present
ProfessorGriffith University School of Medicine 2018 - Present
Smart Futures FellowDEEDI and The University of Queensland 2018 - Present
PhD in the field of CardiologyThe University of Queensland, School of Medicine 2012
UW TransPacific FellowUniversity of Washington, Seattle, USA 2010
Fellowship in Cardiac Imaging & ACHD EchocardiologyUniversity of Washington, Seattle, USA 2010
Fellowship in Cardiac Imaging ResearchCatholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy 2009 - 2010
Fellowship in Cardiac CT/MRIPrince Charles Hospital, Brisbane 2008 - 2009
Fellowship in EchocardiologyPrince Charles Hospital, Brisbane 2008
Squadron Leader, Royal Australian Defence Force Reserve
Memberships & Awards
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
2014 - Present
Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (FACC)
2014 - Present
Fellow of the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (FSCMR)
2011 - Present
Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (FCSANZ)
2010 - Present
Fellow of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (FSCCT)
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Best Original Scientific Article
Outstanding Reviewer Award
Richard Slaughter Prize for Best Clinical Research
Siemens Outstanding Academic Research Award
Heart Foundation Congress First Prize for Indigenous Cardiology Outreach
British Medical Association Book Awards
Research & Publications
1. “Use of Coronary Computed Tomographic Angiography for Patients Presenting with Acute Chest Pain to the Emergency Department: An Expert Consensus Document of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography.” Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography. Dr. Christopher Maroules; Frank J Rybicki; Brian B Ghoshhajra; Juan C Batlle; Kelley Branch; Kavitha Chinnaiyan; Christian Hamilton-Craig; Udo Hoffmann; Harold Litt; Nandini Meyersohn; Leslee Shaw; Todd Villines; Ricardo C Cury. JCCT-D-21-00381R1
2. “Non-Invasive Plaque Imaging to Accelerate Coronary Artery Disease Drug Development” by Gemma Figtree, Philip Adamson, Charalambos Antoniades, Roger Blumenthal, Michael Blaha, Matthew Budoff, David Celermajer, Mark Yan-Yee Chan, Clara Chow, Damini Dey, Girish Dwivedi, Nicola Giannotti, Stuart Grieve, Christian Hamilton-Craig, Bronwyn Kingwell, Jason Kovacic, James K. Min, David Newby, Sanjay Patel, Karlheinz Peter, Peter Psaltis, Stephen Vernon, Dennis Wong, and Stephen Nicholls. CIRCULATIONAHA/2022/060308.
3. TEXT messages to improve MEDication adherence and Secondary prevention after Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS) – The TEXTMEDS Randomized Clinical Trial. Clara Chow, Harry Klimis, Aravinda Thiagalingam, Julie Redfern, Graham Hillis, David Brieger, John Atherton, Ravinay Bhindi, Derek Chew, Nicholas Collins, Michael Fitzpatrick, Craig Juergens, Nadarajah Kangaharan, Andrew Maiorana, Michele McGrady, Rohan Poulter, Pratap Shetty, Jonathon Waites, Christian Hamilton-Craig, Peter Thompson, Sandrine Stepien, Amy Von Huben, and Anthony Rodgers. CIRCULATION 2022;145:1443–1455
4. “Evaluation of Image Quality for High Heart Rates for CCTA with Advancement in CT Technology” HEART – Manuscript ID heartjnl-2022-321383
5. Playford D, Figtree G, Dwividi G, Hamilton-Craig C. “Examining the Potential for Coronary Artery Calcium (CAC) Scoring in Individuals at Low Cardiovascular Risk”. Heart Lunc Circulation April 2021.
6. Einstein A, Shaw L, et al for the INCAPS Investigators Group (incl. C Hamilton-Craig). “International Impact of COVID-19 on the Diagnosis of Heart Disease, J Am Coll Cardiol.2021 Jan, 77 (2) 173–185. doi/10.1016/j.jacc.2020.10.054
7. C Hamilton-Craig, D Staeb, K Obrien, W Crawford, M Barth, G Galloway. “7-Tesla functional cardiovascular MR using vectorcardiographic triggering, overcoming the magnetohydrodynamic effect” Tomography 2021, 7(3), 323-332
8. C. Lee, W. Strugnell, E. Vittinghoff, C Hamilton-Craig, H Haqqani., Electrophysiologic and imaging evidence for an occult myopathic substrate in patients with idiopathic ventricular arrhythmias, International Journal of Cardiology (2021), https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ijcard.2021.05.041
9. Apparduri V, Hamilton-Craig C, Chan J, Scalia G. Global longitudinal strain as a prognostic marker in cardiac resynchronisation therapy: a systematic review. Int J Cardiol Heart Vasc 2021 Jul 31
10. Arai A, Pennell D… C Hamilton-Craig et al for the GADACAD Investigators: “Significant coronary artery disease detection by Gadobutrol-enhanced CMR. Results from two single-vendor phase III”. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020 Sep, 76 (13) 1536–1547.
11. Augosto J… C Hamilton-Craig, J Moon et al. “Diagnosis and Risk Stratification in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy using Machine Learning Wall Thickness Measurement: a Comparison with Human Test-Retest Performance”. LANCET Digital Health. October 2020 D-20-00556R3
12. Captur G…. C Hamilton-Craig, J Moon et al. “T1 Mapping Performance and Measurement Repeatability: Results from the Multi-National T1 Mapping Standardization Phantom Program (T1MES)”. J Card Mag Res, 22, 31 (2020).
13. Kozor R… C Hamilton-Craig et al. ”Cost-Effectiveness of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance in Diagnosing Coronary Artery Disease in the Australian Health Care System”. Heart Lung Circ 2020 Aug 27. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2020.07.008
14. G Watts, D Sullivan… C Hamilton-Craig, et al. “Integrated Guidance for Enhancing the Care of Familial Hypercholestolaemia in Australia”, for the Familial Hypercholesterolaemia Australian Consensus Working Group, in press Heart Lung Circulation Dec 2020 (HLC-S-20-00967)
15. P Choudray, D Celemajer, C Hamilton-Craig et al. “LV Non-Compaction in Patients with Coarctation of the Aorta – Prevalence and Effects on Cardiac Function.” CTY-20-Apr-22.R1. Cardiology In the Young, in press Feb 2021
16. Luis SA, Luis C, Habibian M, Chan J, Raffel OC, Hamilton-Craig C. “Prognostic Value of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients with Troponin Elevation and Non-obstructive Coronary Arteries.” (Ms# 2020-0182.R3) in press, Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2020
17. Rezvanizadeh V… Hamilton Craig C, Roy S, Budoff M. Lower Utilization of Contrast Media and Beta-Blocker In 256- Detector GE Revolution CT Scanner: The Converge Registry. J Cardiovasc Comp Tomog 2020:14;S38
18. Laher S, YW Wong, DG Platts, A Prabhu, BThomson, C Hamilton-Craig, D Godbolt, E Cheesman, AM Dashwood. “A rare case of severe nontropical right ventricular endomyodardial fibrosis”. J Am Coll Cardiol Case Reports, Dec 2000. JACCAS-812_R1.
19. Choudhary P, Strugnell W, Puranik R, Hamilton-Craig C, Kutty S, Celermajer DS. Left ventricular non-compaction in patients with single ventricle heart disease. Cardiol Young. 2020 Jan 9:1-7. doi: 10.1017/S1047951119001872
20. C Hamilton-Craig, K Tandon, B Kwan, AJ Wesley, R O’Rourke, J Neill, KR Branch, “Coronary CT radiation dose reduction strategies at an Australian Tertiary Care Center – improvements in radiation exposure through an evidence-based approach”. J Med Radiat Sci. 2019 Nov 6. doi: 10.1002/jmrs.358
21. Moody WE, Hudsmith LE, Holloway B, Treibel TA, Davies R, Kozor R, Hamilton-Craig C, Edwards NC, Bradlow WM, Moon JC, Steeds RP; British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance and the Australia and New Zealand Working Group for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. Variation in cardiovascular magnetic resonance myocardial contouring: Insights from an international survey. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2019 Feb 17. doi: 10.1002/jmri.26689.
22. Madaj P, Li D, Nakanishi R, Andreini D, Pontone G, Conte E, O’Rourke R, Hamilton-Craig C, Nimmagadda M, Kim N, Fatima B, Dailing C, Budoff M. “Lower Radiation Dosing in Cardiac Computed Tomographic Angiography: the CONVERGE Registry”. J Nucl Med Technol. 2019 Oct 11. pii: jnumed.119.229500. doi: 10.2967/jnumed.119.229500.
23. Hamilton-Craig C, Lambert M, Lin A. 72 year old lady following atrial appendage occluder. HEART 2019. doi:10.1136/heartjnl-2019-314837
24. Patel N, Li D, Nakanishi R, Fatima B, Andreini D, Pontone G, Conte E, O’Rourke R, Jayawardena E, Hamilton-Craig C, Nimmagadda M, Budoff MJ. Comparison of Whole Heart Computed Tomography Scanners for Image Quality Lower Radiation Dosing in Coronary Computed Tomography Angiography: The CONVERGE Registry. Acad Radiol. 2019 Jan 22. pii: S1076-6332(19)30021-2. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2019.01.002.
25. P Madaj, D Li; Rine N; D Andreini; G Pontone; E Conte; R O’Rourke; C Hamilton-Craig; M Nimmagadda; N Kim; B Fatima; C Dailing; K Shaikh; C Shekar; J Hwan Lee; M Budoff. “Decrease in Radiation Dosing for Coronary Artery Calcium (CAC) scans with Advancement in CT technology: The CONVERGE Registry.” J Cardiovasc Comput Tomog, 2019
26. Lum YH, McKenzie S, Brown M, Hamilton-Craig C. Impact of Cardiac MRI in Heart Failure Patients referred to a Tertiary Advanced Heart Failure Unit: Improvements in Diagnosis and Management.Intern Med J. 2018 Aug 28. doi: 10.1111/imj.14087
27. Lin AC, Seale H, Hamilton-Craig C, Morris NR, Strugnell W. Quantification of biventricular strain and assessment of ventriculo-ventricular interaction in pulmonary arterial hypertension using exercise cardiac magnetic resonance imaging and myocardial feature tracking. J MagnReson Imaging. 2018 Oct 24. doi: 10.1002/jmri.26517
28. C Maroules; C Hamilton-Craig, KR Branch, J Lee, RC Cury, P Maurovich-Horvat, R Rubinshtein, R Sharma, D Thomas, M Williams, Y Guo, RC. Cury. Coronary Artery Disease Reporting and Data System (CAD-RADS): Inter-observer Agreement for Assessment Categories and Modifiers. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2018 Mar – Apr;12(2):125-130. doi: 10.1016/j.jcct.2017.11.014
29. Chow CK, Thiagalingam A, Santo K, Kok C, Thakkar J, Stepien S, Billot L, Jan S, Joshi R, Hillis GS, Brieger D, Chew DP, Rådholm K, Atherton JJ, Bhindi R, Collins N, Coverdale S, Hamilton-Craig C, Kangaharan N, Maiorana A, McGrady M, Shetty P, Thompson P, Rogers A, Redfern J. TEXT messages to improve MEDication adherence and Secondary prevention (TEXTMEDS) after acute coronary syndrome: clinical trial Protocol. BMJ Open 2018 Jan 27;8(1).
30. Fletcher MP, O’Rourke R, David M, Gaikwad N, Walters DL, Hamilton-Craig C. Coronary CT in Australia has high positive predictive value unaffected by site volume: An analysis of 510 positive CTCA scans with invasive angiographic correlation. Int J Cardiol Heart Vasc. 2018 Aug 18;20:46-49. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcha.2018.03.005
More research publications are available upon request.View More
- Euro CMR, Venice, Italy, 3-5 May 2019: Multimodality imaging of acute aortic syndromes.
- Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Baltimore July 2019. Cardiac CT in the Emergency Department.
- New Zealand CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting, Wellington June 2019. Multimodality imaging in valvular heart disease.
- Cardiac Society of Australia NZ, Adelaide August 2019. Great Debate – Nuclear Imaging is Dying (pro).
- ADVANCE symposium, Melbourne 1 March 2019; Cardiac CT and diagnosis of chest pain syndromes.
- Echo Australia 18th Annual Congress, October 2019: Multimodality imaging of the aorta. Chairman, multiple sessions.
- International Clinical Cardiovascular Genetics Conference 2018.Faculty and Chair, Invited Speaker.
- EuroCMR/SCMR Joint Scientific Meeting, Barcelona, Spain, 31 Jan-3 Feb 2018. “Improving Clinical Value by Technical Advances in CMR”. Faculty, Invited speaker and International Mentor program.
- India Live, Chennai India 28 Feb – 3 March 2018,Invited speaker live case Trans-septal Mitral Valve-in-Valve.
- National Heart Association Meeting (NHAM) Annual Scientific Meeting 2018, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, 13th-15th April 2018. Invited Speaker and Faculty.
- Society of Cardiac Imaging Malaysia (SCIM), Kuala Lumpur Malaysia Level 1 Cardiac CT teaching course, 11-12 April 2018. Invited Speaker and Faculty.
- 3rd International Cardiac Genetics Congress, Brisbane, 23-25 May 2018. Invited Speaker
- 2017 Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance SCMR 20th Annual Scientific Sessions, Washington DC USA, 1-4 February 2017. Invited Speaker and Faculty.
- 3rd World Congress of Clinical Lipidology, 10-12 February, Brisbane Australia. Invited speaker “Coronary Artery Calcium Scoring and the CSANZ guidelines”.
- Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, June 23-26, 2016. Renaissance Orlando Florida USA. International Invited Speaker and Board Review Course. 1)Acute Chest Pain in the ER: CT in acute chest pain. 2) Stable Chest Pain: Prognostic and outcomes of CCTA in stable chest pain 3) Board Review Course faculty speaker.
- 3rdEdwards TAVR CT Symposium Sydney 22-23 November 2018. Faculty and invited speaker.
- Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand2018: Multi-Modality imaging in Endocarditis. Brisbane 3-5 August, 2018.
- EchoAustralia 17th conference, Faculty, Session Chair, Invited speaker; 10-12 October, Sydney Australia,
- 4th International 4 Corners of Cardiology Meeting (4CCC 2018) 9 – 10 February 2018, Melbourne, Australia. Invited Speaker “Coronary Artery Calcium Scoring”
- 2nd CMR Australia National Cardiac MRI symposium, 26 May 2018, Brisbane. Convenor and Invited Speaker.
- 2018 Port Douglas Heart Meeting& Expo. Faculty, Scientific chair and Invited Speaker.
- Echo Australia 15th Annual Meeting, Sydney 23-26 October 2017. “Plenary – LV Volumes and function Echo vs CMR”
- 2nd Edwards TAVR CT Symposium Sydney 23-24 February 2017. Faculty and invited speaker.
- Australian Atherosclerosis Society, 18-17 June 2017. Invited speaker “Coronary Artery Calcium Scoring and the CSANZ guidelines”.
- Australian Resuscitation Council ALS-2 Course, Instructor. 13-14 November 2017, Brisbane.
- TRI Imagine 5-6 September 2017, Translational Research Institute, Brisbane.
- Australian Resuscitation Council ALS-2 Course, Instructor. 14-15 September 2017, Brisbane.
- CMR Australia 2nd Annual Meeting, Melbourne 25 October 2016 “RV function”. “CMR workshop”.
- 6th Annual CMRS Sydney, 22 October 2016. “Imaging of Cardiomyopathies and Viability by CMR”.
- ASUM 46th Annual Scientific Meeting, Brisbane 28-30 October 2016. “Adult Congenital Heart Disease by Echo and CMR”
More presentations are available upon request.View More