Mr Michael O’Keefe is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon located in Victoria. He is a Visiting Medical Officier Cardiothoracic Surgeon at St Vincent’s Health, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne Private Hospital, St Vincent’s and Mercy Private Hospitals, and Epworth Richmond. He also travels interstate to the Charles Clinic Heart Centre in Launceston, providing cardiothoracic services to Tasmanians.
Michael completed his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery with Honours followed by a Bachelor of Medical Science at the University of Tasmania. He completed fellowship training in Victoria at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, St Vincent’s Hospital, Austin Health and the John Fawkner Hospital. He completed post-fellowship training in advanced valve repair and aortic root at the St Luc Hospital in Brussels under the mentorship of Gabrine El Khoury.
He obtained his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2013.
Procedures & Conditions
- Aortic Valve Repair
- Aortic Root Aneurysms
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- The Ross Procedure
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Lung Cancer
- Aortic Regurgitation
- Bicuspid Aortic Valve
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonSt Vincent's Health 2015 - Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonRoyal Melbourne Hospital 2014 - Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonMelbourne Private Hospital Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonSt Vincent's and Mercy Private Hospital Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonEpworth Richmond Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonCharles Clinic Heart Centre, Launceston Present
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
Research & Publications
1. Buratto, Edward & Shi, William & Wynne, Rochelle & Poh, Chin & Larobina, Marco & O’Keefe, Michael & Goldblatt, John & Tatoulis, James & Skillington, Peter. (2018). Improved Survival After the Ross Procedure Compared With Mechanical Aortic Valve Replacement. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 71. 1337-1344. 10.1016/j.jacc.2018.01.048.
2. Poh, Chin & Buratto, Edward & Larobina, Marco & Wynne, Rochelle & O’Keefe, Michael & Goldblatt, John & Tatoulis, James & Skillington, Peter. (2018). The Ross procedure in adults presenting with bicuspid aortic valve and pure aortic regurgitation: 85% freedom from reoperation at 20 years. European journal of cardio-thoracic surgery : official journal of the European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery. 54. 10.1093/ejcts/ezy073.
3. Walters, Tomos & Lee, Geoffrey & Spence, Shelley & Larobina, Marco & Atkinson, Victoria & Antippa, Phillip & Goldblatt, John & O’Keefe, Michael & Sanders, Prashanthan & Kistler, Peter & Kalman, Jonathan. (2014). Acute Atrial Stretch Results in Conduction Slowing and Complex Signals at the Pulmonary Vein to Left Atrial Junction Insights Into the Mechanism of Pulmonary Vein Arrhythmogenesis. Circulation. Arrhythmia and electrophysiology. 7. 1189-97. 10.1161/CIRCEP.114.001894.
4. Skillington, Peter & Mokhles, Mostafa & Takkenberg, Johanna & Larobina, Marco & O’Keefe, Michael & Wynne, Rochelle & Tatoulis, James. (2014). The Ross procedure using autologous support of the pulmonary autograft: Techniques and late results. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 149. 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.08.068.
5. Skillington, Peter & Mokhles, Mostafa & Wilson, William & Grigg, Leeanne & Larobina, Marco & O’Keefe, Michael & Takkenberg, Johanna. (2013). Inclusion cylinder method for aortic valve replacement utilising the Ross operation in adults with predominant aortic stenosis – 99% freedom from re-operation on the aortic valve at 15 years. Global cardiology science & practice. 2013. 383-94. 10.5339/gcsp.2013.46.
6. Skillington, Peter & Mokhles, Mostafa & Takkenberg, Johanna & O’Keefe, Michael & Grigg, Leeanne & Wilson, William & Larobina, Marco & Tatoulis, James. (2013). Twenty-Year Analysis of Autologous Support of the Pulmonary Autograft in the Ross Procedure. The Annals of thoracic surgery. 96. 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.04.019.View More