Mr. Krishna Bhagwat is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon located in Melbourne with expertise in general cardiac surgery, total arterial revascularization, minimally-invasive valve repair and replacement surgery. His areas of passion and specialty include minimally invasive thoracic and cardiac surgery, including thoracic oncology via uniportal approach. Krishna is devoted to providing personalised care for all of his patients in order to achieve comfor Read More...
Procedures & Conditions
- Aortic Surgery - Complex Root Replacement & Debranching of Arch
- Atrial Fibrillation Ablation (MAZE) Procedure
- Atrial Flutter Ablation
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Closures
- Bicuspid Valve Replacement
- Cardiac Biopsy
- Chest Wall Deformities Repair
- Coarctation Repair
- Complex Aortic Root Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts
- Defibrillator Implantation
- Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Insertion
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Surgery
- Pacemaker Implantation
- Perioperative Medicine
- Pulmonary Vein Cryoablation
- Pulmonary Vein Isolation
- Radio Frequency Ablation
- Thoracic Oncologic Surgery
- Total-Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Thoracoscopic Sympathectomy
- Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Adult Congenital Heart Defect/Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Arrhythmia Management
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Atrial Flutter
- Bicuspid Valve
- Bullous Lung Disease
- Cardiac Disease
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Ischemic Cardiomyopathy
- Lung Cancer
- Mitral Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Structural Heart Disease
- Sudden Cardiac Death
- Pectus Excavatum / Carinatum
- Pleural Diseases including Mesothelioma
- Recurrent Pneumothorax
- Valvular Heart Disease
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonSt Vincent's Public Hospital, Fitzroy, VIC 2018 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonNorthern Hospital, Epping, VIC 2019 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonSt Vincent's Private Hospital, Fitzroy, VIC 2019 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonCabrini Hospital, Malvern, VIC 2019 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonWarringal Private Hospital 2019 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonJohn Fawkner Private Hospital 2019 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonMulgrave Private Hospital Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonKnox Private Hospital Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonThe Cardiologists, Epping, VIC Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonEast Melbourne Heart and Lung, Fitzroy, VIC Present
People also viewed these Specialists
Professor Jai Raman
Heart Failure Specialist, TAVI Practitioner, Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Device Safety, Arterial Grafting, Mechanical Circulatory Support
MBBS, MMed, FRACS, PhD
Associate Professor George Matalanis
Cardiac Valve Surgery
FRACS, MBBS, MS, BSc
Dr Nay Htun
Interventional Cardiology (Structural Heart and Coronary Interventions)
MBBS, PhD, MRCP (UK), FRACP, FCSANZ
Dr Shane Nanayakkara
Interventional, Heart Failure & Structural Heart Interventions
MBBS; FRACP; PhD
Dr Matthew Brooks
Interventional Cardiology and Accredited TAVI Practitioner
MBBS, BMedSci, FRACP
Associate Professor Sonny Palmer
Interventional Cardiology and Accredited TAVI Practitioner
BA BSc MBBS DMedSci FRACP FCSANZ
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
Member of the Academy of Surgical Educator at the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Member of the Cardiac Thoracic Network (CTS Net)
Member of Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS)
Member of the Indian Association of Cardio Vascular & Thoracic Surgeons
Research & Publications
1. Aitken-Buck, Hamish M., Mohammed Moharram, Aram A. Babakr, Robin Reijers, Isabelle Van Hout, Ingrid C. Fomison-Nurse, Ramanen Sugunesegran, Krishna Bhagwat, Phillip J. Davis, Richard W. Bunton, Michael J. A. Williams, Martin K. Stiles, Peter P. Jones, Sean Coffey, and Regis R. Lamberts. “Relationship between Epicardial Adipose Tissue Thickness and Epicardial Adipocyte Size with Increasing Body Mass Index.” Adipocyte 8, no. 1 (2019/01/02 2019): 412-20.
2. Wong A, Galiabovitch E, Bhagwat K. Management of primary spontaneous pneumothorax: a review. ANZ Journal of Surgery.= 2018;0(0).
3. Sandler N, Sharpin C, Bhagwat K, Ma R, Yii M, Tay K, et al. Abstract Journal for Cardiothoracic Surgery. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2016; 86:21-4.
4. Sandler N, Sharpin C, Bhagwat K, Ma R, Yii M, Almeida A. Stenting of the Brachiocephalic Vein Following Occlusion After Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery. Journal of cardiac surgery. 2016:432-434.
5. Lok SY, Bhagwat K, Smith JA, Troupis J, Joshi P. Giant Aortic Mural Thrombus. Journal of cardiac surgery. 2016;31(5):351.
6. Lo EYW, Pavan F, Bhagwat K, Cochrane A, Goldstein J. Giant Coronary Ostial Aneurysms after Aortic Root Replacement. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2016;25(1):97-9.
7. Stephens G, Bhagwat K, Pick A, McGiffin D. Lobar Torsion Following Bilateral Lung Transplantation. Journal of cardiac surgery. 2015;30(2):209-14.
8. Stephens G, Bhagwat K, Marasco S, McGiffin D. Constrictive Pericarditis Post-Lung Transplant. Journal of cardiac surgery. 2015;30(8):651-5.
9. Bhagwat KA, Stephens GC, Chakaramakkill MJ, Ratinam R. Modified Tightening for Figure-of-Eight Sternal Wiring Closure. Innovations: Technology and Techniques in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. 2015;10(5):368-9.
10. Anderson MM, Gooi J, Bhagwat K, Bain C. Coronary Vasospasm as an Unexpected Cause of Intraoperative Hemodynamic Instability and Cardiac Arrest. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2015;100(3):1086-9.
11. Bhagwat K, Perera S, Ou R, Marasco S, Woodard J, Esmore D, et al. Twelve-hour Reanimation of a Human Heart following Donation after Circulatory Death. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2014;23(1): e52.
12. Bhagwat K, Brink J, Konstantinov IE, Jones B, d’Udekem Y, Brizard CP. Resection of Giant Left Atrium in Mitral Valve Disease. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2014;23(1): e51.
13. Bhagwat K, Hallam J, Antippa P, Larobina M. Diagnostic enigma: primary pulmonary artery sarcoma. Interactive cardiovascular and thoracic surgery. 2012;14(3):342-4.
14. Ali N, Konstantinov I, Heath JA, Bhagwat K, Cheung M. Nonbacterial thrombotic endocarditis in a child with nonHodgkin’s lymphoma. Pediatric cardiology. 2012;33(5):843-5.
15. Brooks M, Royse C, Eisen D, Sparks P, Bhagwat K, Royse A. An accidental mass. Lancet. 2011;377(9779):1806.
16. Bhagwat K, Hallam J, Shivanand G, Brooks M, Atkinson V, Goldblatt J. Expanding cardiac pseudotumor. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 2011;141(6): e41-2.
17. Bhagwat K, Jaria R, Shetty V, Gandhe U, Pandey K. Giant calcified pseudoaneurysm of right coronary artery presenting as a right intra-atrial mass. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010;89(3):969-71.
18. Inamdar A, Inamdar S, Gaikwad V, Reddy P, Bhagwat K. Experience with right ventricular assist device for offpump CABGS. Indian J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004;20(1):5-.
19. Dissertation for M.S (General Surgery)- Surgical Audit in Toxic Goitre. A review of our experience with these conditions. A useful guide into aetiology, clinical presentations of patients, pathology profile, operative options and interventions and finer points underlying management. Accepted and approved by the M S University of Mumbai.View More
- 2020 Webinar for GP: Pulmonary Lesions & Lung Nodules: What to look for and when to refer?
- 2016 Connell C, Gellatly RM, Zimmet A, Bhagwat, K, Dooley, M. Outcomes associated with the implementation of an evidence-based consensus guideline for antithrombotic therapy for valvular heart surgery (poster). CSANZ ASM
- 2015 Connell C, Gellatly RM, Zimmet A, Bhagwat, K, Dooley, M. Antithrombotic Therapy for Valvular Heart Surgery – Implementation of an evidence-based consensus guideline (poster) SHPA Medicines Management conference, 2015, and Alfred Research Week 2015
- 2013 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac Thoracic Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting Friday 23 – Sunday 25 August 2013 Darwin Convention Centre, Darwin, NT Poster #2: Resection of Giant Left Atrium in Mitral Valve Disease Poster #3: Twelve Hour Reanimation of a Human Heart Following Donation after Circulatory Death
- 2006 Oral Paper presentation, 52nd Annual conference of the Indian Association of Cardio Vascular & Thoracic Surgeon, Bangalore, India. Topic: Short term results for Radio frequency Ablation in Atrial fibrillation
- 2006 Video Paper presentation, Presented at 52nd Annual conference of the Indian Association of Cardio Vascular & Thoracic Surgeon, Bangalore, India. Topic: Calcified aneurysm of Right Coronary Artery presenting as a giant intra right atrial mass
- 2005 Oral Paper presentation, Presented at 17th Biennial Congress of Association of Thoracic & cardiovascular surgeon of Asia, Manila, Philippines. Topic: Sternal Band for Secure Sternal Closure
- 2005 Oral Paper presentation, Presented at 17th Biennial Congress of Association of Thoracic & cardiovascular surgeon of Asia, Manila, Philippines. Topic: Surgical management for ruptured LV free wall
- 2005 Poster Paper presentation, Presented at 51st Annual conference of the Indian Association of Cardio Vascular & Thoracic Surgeons, Cochin, India. Topic: Sternal Band for Secure Sternal Closure
- 1999 Oral Paper presentation, Presented at XXI Annual Conference of Maharashtra chapter of the Association of Surgeons of India. Topic: Surgery for Toxic Goitre- our experience
- 1996 Oral Paper presentation, Presented at 52nd Bombay Medical Congress, Topic: Artificial Intelligence in Medicine