Dr Suku Thambar is currently employed as a Senior Staff Specialist Cardiologist at Hunter New England Area Health, Newcastle, NSW, and holds a conjoint appointment as a Senior Lecturer of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Newcastle. He is based at the John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, with a further role as a Visiting Interventional Cardiologist at the outlying Tamworth Base Hospital. Dr Thambar’s primary responsibilities are the performance of diagnostic and therapeutic percutaneous coronary interventions, management of cardiology in-patients and review of outpatients. A key component of his clinical practice is his support of clinical research in contributing to the advancement of knowledge of cardiovascular disease, and in evaluating novel patient management strategies that may lead to improved patient outcomes.
Dr Thambar’s primary clinical research interests are the use of adult stem cells in the management of acute and chronic cardiovascular diseases, and the use of catheter-based renal denervation to treat patients with resistant hypertension. Over the last decade, he has gained wide experience in clinical trials, as both Principal Investigator and Co-Investigator, and has received training for Good Clinical Practice in each trial. He has been extensively involved in Renal Denervation research at John Hunter Hospital and Newcastle Private Hospital for over 10 years. HTN-1 was the first in-human pilot study for renal denervation of which he was Principal Investigator for 1 of 5 sites worldwide. HTN-1 was followed by HTN-2 which later lead to the introduction of the Global SYMPLICITY Registry (GSR). As part of GSR, they performed 5-10 renal denervation procedures at John Hunter Hospital every year.
Dr Thambar has presented renal denervation data in both national and international forums as well as co-authoring the landmark renal denervation publication in Lancet (2009).
1. Walters DL, Sinhal A, Baron D, Pasupati S, Thambar S*, Yong G, Jepson N, Bhindi R, Bennets J, Larbalestier R, Clarke A, Brady P, Wolfenden H, James A, El Gamel A, Jansz P. Chew DP; Initial experience with the balloon expandable Edwards-SAPIEN Transcatheter Heart Valve in Australia and New Zealand: the SOURCE ANZ Registry: Outcomes at 30 days and one year International Journal of Cardiology 1 January 2014: 170(3); 406-12.
2. Michael Haude MD, PhD, Stephen W.L. Lee MD, Stephen G. Worthley MBBS, PhD, Sigmund Silber MD, PhD, Stefan Verheye MD, PhD, Sandra Erbs MD, Mohd Ali Rosli MD, Roberto Botelho MD, PhD, Ian Meredith MBBS, PhD, Kui Hian Sim MBBS, Pieter R. Stella MD, PhD, Huay-Cheem Tan MBBS, Robert Whitbourn MBBS, Sukumaran Thambar MBBS, Alexandre Abizaid MD, PhD, Tian Hai Koh MBBS, Peter Den Heijer MD, PhD, Helen Parise ScD, Ecaterina Cristea MD, Akiko Maehara MD and Roxana Mehran MD; The REMEDEE Trial JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions 1 April 2013: 6(4); 334-343.
3. Krum H, Schlaich M, Whitbourn R, Sobotka P, Sadowski J, Bartus K, Boguslaw K, Walton A, Sievert H, Thambar S*, Abraham W, Esler M; Catheter-Based Renal Sympathetic Denervation for the Management of Resistant Hypertension Lancet 11 April 2009: 373(9671); 1275-81.
4. Hiew C, Williams T, Bhagwandeen R, Thambar S*, Mylabathula S, Bastian B, Bellamy G, Collins N; Does selective abciximab use influence clinical outcome in patients with acute STEMI undergoing primary PCI? Heart Lung & Circ 2008: 17; S167 – S 168
5. Tse HF, Thambar S*, Kwong YK, Rowlings P, Bellamy G, McCrohon J, Thomas P, Bastian B, Chan JKF, Lo G, Ho CL, Chan WS, Kwong RY, Parker JA, Hauser T, Lau CP; Prospective randomized trial of direct endomyocardial implantation of bone marrow cells for therapeutic angiogenesis in coronary artery diseases. (PROTECT-CAD) European Heart J 2007 Dec: 28: 2998 – 3005
6. Tse HF, Thambar S*, Kwong YK, Rowlings P, Bellamy G, McCrohon J, Bastian B, Chan JKF, Lo G, Ho CL, Parker JA, Hauser T, Lau CP; Comparative evaluation of long-term clinical efficacy with catheter-based percutaneous intramyocardial autologous bone marrow cell implantation versus laser myocardial revascularization in patients with severe coronary artery disease Am Heart J 2007 Nov: 154, Issue 5:982 e.1 – 982.e6
7. Tse HF, Thambar S*, Kwong YK, Rowlings P, Bellamy G, McCrohon J, Thomas P, Bastian B, Chan JKF, Lo G, Ho CL, Chan WS, Kwong RY, Parker JA, Hauser T, Lau CP; Safety of catheter-based intramyocardial autologous bone marrow cells Implantation for therapeutic angiogenesis Am J Cardiol 2006 Jun: 98:60-62
8. Thambar S*, Schofield L, Poppas A, Bouchard M, Williams DO, Johnson LL; Validation of R wave voltage endomyocardial mapping to assess myocardial fibrosis: comparison with thallium and dobutamine echocardiography in swine model J Interv Cardiol 2003 Feb;16(1):23-31
9. Johnson L, Thambar S*, Donahay T, Dae M, Williams DO; Effect of endomyocardial laser channels on regional innervation shown by (125) I-MIBG and autoradiography J Nucl Med 2002 Apr: 43(4):551-555
1. Krum H, Schlaich M, Whitbourn R, Sobotka P, Sadowski J, Bartus K, Boguslaw K, Walton A, Sievert H, Thambar S*, Abraham W, Esler M; Catheter-Based Renal Sympathetic Denervation for the Management of Resistant Hypertension Scheduled for Late-breaking Clinical Trials Presentation at the American College of Cardiology Annual Conference 28 – 31 March 2009, Miami, United States
2. Hiew C, Thambar S*, Bellamy G; Predictors of adverse outcomes in the elderly patients presented with acute ST- elevation myocardial infarction Catheterisation and Cardiovascular Interventions/Asia Pacific Interventional Advances 2006, Sydney, Australia
3. Hiew C, Diu P, Mylabathula S, Adera S, Bastian B, Thambar S*, Bhagwandeen R, Bellamy G; Primary angioplasty in acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction in the elderly (>75 years): A single centre experience Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand 2006 54th Annual Scientific Meeting, Canberra, Australia
4. Mylabathula S, Varghese P, Adera S, Diu P, Hiew C, Bull N, Thambar S*, Bhagwandeen R, Bastian B, Bellamy G; Ten-year follow-up of percutaneous versus surgical coronary revascularization Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand 2006 54th Annual Scientific Meeting, Canberra, Australia
5. Mylabathula S, Diu P, Hiew C, Adera S, Varghese P, Bull N, Bastian B, Thambar S*, Bhagwandeen R, Bellamy G; Predictors of mortality in primary PCI Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand 2006 54th Annual Scientific Meeting, Canberra, Australia
6. Mylabathula S, Puvaneswary P, Diu P, Hiew C, Thambar S*, Tse HF; Percutaneous intra-myocardial autologous bone marrow stem cell therapy does not cause intramyocardial calcification or neoplastic transformation in patients with chronic myocardial ischaemia Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand 2006 54th Annual Scientific Meeting, Canberra, Australia
7. Jayasinghe R, Diu P, Tran H, Thambar S*, Hiew C; BNP levels and contrast nephropathy in patients with impaired renal function undergoing cardiac catheterization The Royal Australia College of Physicians, Annual Scientific Meeting 2005, Wellington, New Zealand
8. Tse HF, Thambar S*, Kwong YK, Chan J, Lo G, Ho CL, Chen WH, Bellamy G, Lau CP; Long-term clinical outcome of catheter-based intramyocardial autologous bone marrow cells implantation in patients with end-stage coronary artery diseases J Am Coll Cardiol 2004 Mar: 43(5), Sup1: A39
9. Dixon R, Rizik D, Griffin J, Carrozza J, Rutherford B, Kastrati A, Thambar S*, Kuntz R, Gibbons R, Popma J, O’Neill W, The COOL -MI Investigators; A prospective, randomized trial of mild hypothermia during percutaneous intervention for acute myocardial infarction (COOL-MI): One-year clinical outcome J Am Coll Cardiol 2004 Mar: 43(5), Sup1: A251
10. Rowlings P, Thambar S*, Zaunders G, Bellamy G; Myocardial angiogenesis and myogenesis by direct injection of autologous marrow stem cells in humans Tandem BMT Meetings, Jan 2003 Keystone Colorado, USA.
11. Thambar S*, Johnson L, Schofield L, Sharaf B, Williams D; Inability of Computer-guided Endomyocardial Laser Revascularisation to Relieve Ischaemia Acutely: Observations from a Porcine Coronary Occlusion Model American Cardiology Conference, 2001 and Angiogenesis Conference, 2001
12. Thambar S*, Johnson L, Schofield L, Sharaf B, Williams D, Donahay T, Dae M; Effect of Endomyocardial Laser Channels on Regional Innervation Using I-125 MIBG and autoradiography American Cardiology Conference, 2001 and Angiogenesis conference 2001
13. Johnson L, Poppas A, Thambar S*, Schofield L, Bouchard M; A Swine Model of Chronic Multivessel Disease and LV Hibernation American Cardiology Conference, 2001 and Angiogenesis Conference 2001
14. Thambar S*, Poplin V, Johnson L, Schofield L, Sharaf B, Williams D; Assessing myocardial viability using NOGA left ventricular mapping system in a chronic ischaemic porcine model: A correlation with histology and thallium scintigraphy American Cardiology Conference, 2000
15. Thambar S*, Sharaf B, Miele N, Williams D; Assessment of global and regional wall motion by NOGA three-dimensional electromechanical mapping: A correlation with the “gold standard” contrast left ventriculogram Heart, Lung & Circ. 2000 Dec: 9(3); A164
16. Thambar S*, Poplin V, Johnson L, Schofield L, Sharaf B, Williams D; Assessing myocardial viability using NOGA left ventricular mapping system in a chronic ischaemic porcine model: A correlation with histology and thallium scintigraphy Heart, Lung & Circ. 2000 Dec: 9(3); A119View More