Dr Sonny Palmer is a Consultant Cardiologist at St Vincent’s Public and Private Hospitals, Melbourne. He is the clinical coordinator of the St Vincent’s Hospital Structural Heart Program.
Dr Palmer’s clinical interests include cardiovascular risk factor management, ischaemic heart disease and valvular heart disease. He has sub-specialty expertise in coronary and structural heart intervention and is an accredited specialist in Cardiac CT.
He performs structural heart interventions including balloon aortic valvuloplasty, transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) and patent foramen ovale (PFO) and atrial septal defect (ASD) closure.
Sonny graduated from the University of Melbourne with MBBS in 2004. In 2012 he completed his clinical training in Cardiology at St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne. He then completed two years of subspecialty training in coronary and structural heart intervention at St Vincent’s Hospital and James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom.
Sonny is a Senior Clinical Fellow at the University of Melbourne. He was awarded a Doctorate at The University of Melbourne in 2016. He was the recipient of the prestigious National Health and Medical Research Council and National Heart Foundation scholarships.
Dr Palmer is actively involved in clinical research and has over 55 manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals. He is a supervisor of Doctor of Medicine students, junior doctors, and FRACP physician trainees at St Vincent’s Hospital.
Procedures & Conditions
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Valve In Valve Aortic Valve Replacement
- Trans Aortic Procedures (with a Cardiac Surgeon)
- Transfemoral and Alternative Access TAVI
- PFO Closure
- ASD Repair
- Aortic Stenosis
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Ventricular Septal Defects
- Atrial Septal Defect
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) Accredited PractitionerSt. Vincent’s Hospital 2017
Structural and Interventional CardiologistSt. Vincent’s Hospital 2016
Consultant Cardiology ServiceAmbulance Victoria 2017 - 2018
Structural and Interventional Cardiology FellowJames Cook University Hospital 2015 - 2016
Interventional Cardiology FellowSt. Vincent’s Hospital 2014 - 2015
Interventional Cardiology Research FellowSt. Vincent’s Hospital 2014 - 2015
2013 & 2014
National Health and Medical Research Council Scholarship
Heart Foundation Postgraduate Scholarship
The Bill Heath Fellowship - St Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research
Viola Edith Reid Bequest - Faculty Research (Trust Funded) Scholarship
Registrar’s Research Prize 2012 (Runner Up) - Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Victoria Division
Research & Publications
1. Adams H. S., Ashokkumar S, Newcomb A, MacIsaac A.I., Whitbourn R. J., Palmer S. A Contemporary Review of Severe Aortic Stenosis. Intern Med J. 2018 Aug 8. (Epub, ahead of print).
2. Palmer S, Layland J, Adams H, Ashokkumar S, Williams P.D, Judkins C, La Gerche A, Burns A.T, Whitbourn R.J, MacIsaac A.I, Wilson A.M. Measurement of microvascular function in patients presenting with thrombolysis for ST elevation myocardial infarction, and PCI for non-ST elevation myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2018. 19; 917-922.
3. Jackson M.W.P, Muir D.F, de Belder M.A, Palmer S, Owens W.A, Goodwin A, Hayat U, Williams P.D. Transradial Secondary Access to Guide Valve Implantation and Manage Peripheral Vascular Complications During Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Heart Lung Circ. 2018 Mar 10 (Epub, ahead of print).
4. Tong, D.C., Whitbourn, R., MacIsaac, A., Wilson, A., Burns, A., Palmer, S., Layland J. High-Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein Is a Predictor of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction in Patients with Ischemic Heart Disease. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2018 Jan 12; 4: 81.
5. Adams, H., Martin, W., Wilson, A. M., Palmer, S. Radiation therapy induced cardiovascular disease. Heart Vessels & Transplantation. 2017. 1: 82-89.
6. Adams, H., Paratz, E., Somaratne, J., Layland, J., Burns, A., Palmer, S., MacIsaac, A., Whitbourn, R. Different patients, different outcomes: A case-control study of spontaneous coronary artery dissection versus acute coronary syndrome. J Interv Cardiol. 2017 Sep 20.
7. Palmer, S., Child, N., de Belder, M. A., Muir, D. F., Williams, P. D. Left Atrial Appendage Thrombus in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: Incidence, Clinical Impact and the Role of Cardiac Computed Tomography. Journal of American College of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Interventions. 2017. Jan 23. 10 (2): 176-84
8. Palmer, S., Muir, D. F., de Belder, M. A., Williams, P. D. Does Direct TAVR Increase the Risk of Cerebral Embolization? Journal of American College of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Interventions. 2016. Feb 8;9(3):302-3.
9. Palmer, S., Layland, J., Carrick, D., Williams, P. D., Judkins, C., Gong, FF., Burns, A, T., Whitbourn, R., MacIsaac, A. I., Wilson, A.M. The Index of Microcirculatory Resistance Post Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Predicts Left Ventricular Recovery in Patients with Thrombolysed ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Journal of Interventional Cardiology. 2016. 9999: 1–9
10. Bandali A, Parry-Williams G, Kassam A, Palmer S, Williams P.D, de Belder M.A, Owens A, Goodwin A, Muir D.F. Direct transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation without balloon pre-dilatation using the Edwards Sapien XT valve. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 May 18.
11. Zweng I, Shi WY, Palmer S, MacIsaac A, Whitbourn R, Davis P, Newcomb AE. Transcatheter versus Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in High-risk Patients: A propensity-score matched analysis. Heart Lung Circ. 2016 Feb 11.
12. Layland, J., Nerlekar, N., Palmer, S. Berry C., Oldroyd, K. Invasive Assessment of the Coronary Microcirculation in the Catheter Laboratory. Int J Cardiol. 2015. 199; 141-9.
13. Paratz, E. Palmer, S., Mariani, J. The Cardiac Complications of Obesity. Medicine Today. 2015. 16 (11);34-41.
14. Williams, P. D., Barlis, P., Palmer, S., Whitbourn, R. Plaque Rupture Within a 16-Year-Old Bare Metal Stent. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2014 Apr;30(4):464.e15-6.
15. Palmer, S., Wilson, A. M. Judkins, C. Williams, P. D. The Adenosine Mediated Effect Of Ticagrelor and Accuracy of Fractional Flow Reserve; Letter to the Editor. Journal of American College of Cardiology. 2013. 62 (7);644–648
16. Palmer, S., Judkins, C. Williams, P. D. Renal Sympathetic Nerve Denervation For The Treatment of Resistant Hypertension. The Medical Journal of Australia. 2013. 199 (3): 160-161.
17. Layland, J., Judkins, C., Palmer, S., Whitbourn, R., Wilson O’Brien, A., MacIsaac, A., Wilson, A., The Resting Status of Coronary Microcirculation is a Predictor of Microcirculatory Function Following Elective PCI for Stable Angina. International Journal of Cardiology. 2013. 169 (2): 121-125.
18. Palmer, S., Wilson, A. M. Assessing Ischaemia in Stable Angina. Cardiology Today. 2012. 2(1); 23-26.
19. Palmer, S., Mariani, J. A., Newcomb, A., Stokes, M. B., Burns, A. T. Successful Application of a PressureWire Retrogradely across an ATS Prosthetic Aortic Valve to Diagnose Constrictive Pericarditis. Cardiovascular and Revascularisation Medicine 2012. 13. Epub. May 25th.
20. Stokes, M. B., Palmer, S., Moneghetti, K. J., Mariani, J. A., Wilson, A. M. Asystole Following Complex Partial Seizures. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2012. Epub. Aug 6.View More
- Conference Attendance and Presentations1. Code STEMI Code STROKE. Australian and New Zealand Endovascular Therapies (ANZET). August 2017.
- The Fellow’s Experience. Australian and New Zealand Endovascular Therapies (ANZET). August 2014.
- Renal Denervation. The Italian Medical Society of Victoria. May 2013.
- Fractional Flow Reserve. Interventional Nurses Council of Victoria. May 2013
- Resistant Hypertension and Renal Denervation. Cardiology in the Forest – New Developments in Cardiology. Creswick. May 2012.
- In a Galaxy FFR Away: Stable Angina, Ischaemia and Fractional Flow Reserve. Eli Lily National Interventional Nurses Symposium. August 2011