Dr Sonny Palmer is a Consultant Cardiologist at St Vincent’s Public and Private Hospitals, Melbourne. He is the clinical coordinator of the St Vincent’s Hospital Structural Heart Program which provides individualised care for patients with aortic stenosis.
Sonny graduated from the University of Melbourne with MBBS in 2004 and completed his clinical training in Cardiology at St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne, in 2012. He then completed two years of subspecialty training in coronary and structural heart intervention at St Vincent’s Hospital and James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom. He performs structural heart interventions including balloon aortic valvuloplasty, transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) and patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defect (PFO/ASD) closure.
Sonny’s other clinical interests include cardiovascular risk factor management and ischaemic heart disease. He has sub-specialty expertise in coronary intervention and is also an accredited specialist in Cardiac CT.
Sonny is a Senior Clinical Fellow at the University of Melbourne. He was awarded a Doctorate at The University of Melbourne in 2016. He was the recipient of the prestigious National Health and Medical Research Council and National Heart Foundation scholarships. He is actively involved in clinical research, is a supervisor of Doctor of Medicine students, junior doctors, and FRACP physician trainees at St Vincent’s Hospital.
1. Adams H. S., Ashokkumar S, Newcomb A, MacIsaac A.I., Whitbourn R. J., Palmer S. A Contemporary Review of Severe Aortic Stenosis. Intern Med J. 2018 Aug 8. (Epub, ahead of print).
2. Palmer S, Layland J, Adams H, Ashokkumar S, Williams P.D, Judkins C, La Gerche A, Burns A.T, Whitbourn R.J, MacIsaac A.I, Wilson A.M. Measurement of microvascular function in patients presenting with thrombolysis for ST elevation myocardial infarction, and PCI for non-ST elevation myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2018. 19; 917-922.
3. Jackson M.W.P, Muir D.F, de Belder M.A, Palmer S, Owens W.A, Goodwin A, Hayat U, Williams P.D. Transradial Secondary Access to Guide Valve Implantation and Manage Peripheral Vascular Complications During Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Heart Lung Circ. 2018 Mar 10 (Epub, ahead of print).
4. Tong, D.C., Whitbourn, R., MacIsaac, A., Wilson, A., Burns, A., Palmer, S., Layland J. High-Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein Is a Predictor of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction in Patients with Ischemic Heart Disease. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2018 Jan 12; 4: 81.
5. Adams, H., Martin, W., Wilson, A. M., Palmer, S. Radiation therapy induced cardiovascular disease. Heart Vessels & Transplantation. 2017. 1: 82-89.
6. Adams, H., Paratz, E., Somaratne, J., Layland, J., Burns, A., Palmer, S., MacIsaac, A., Whitbourn, R. Different patients, different outcomes: A case-control study of spontaneous coronary artery dissection versus acute coronary syndrome. J Interv Cardiol. 2017 Sep 20.
7. Palmer, S., Child, N., de Belder, M. A., Muir, D. F., Williams, P. D. Left Atrial Appendage Thrombus in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: Incidence, Clinical Impact and the Role of Cardiac Computed Tomography. Journal of American College of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Interventions. 2017. Jan 23. 10 (2): 176-84
8. Palmer, S., Muir, D. F., de Belder, M. A., Williams, P. D. Does Direct TAVR Increase the Risk of Cerebral Embolization? Journal of American College of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Interventions. 2016. Feb 8;9(3):302-3.
9. Palmer, S., Layland, J., Carrick, D., Williams, P. D., Judkins, C., Gong, FF., Burns, A, T., Whitbourn, R., MacIsaac, A. I., Wilson, A.M. The Index of Microcirculatory Resistance Post Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Predicts Left Ventricular Recovery in Patients with Thrombolysed ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Journal of Interventional Cardiology. 2016. 9999: 1–9
10. Bandali A, Parry-Williams G, Kassam A, Palmer S, Williams P.D, de Belder M.A, Owens A, Goodwin A, Muir D.F. Direct transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation without balloon pre-dilatation using the Edwards Sapien XT valve. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 May 18.
11. Zweng I, Shi WY, Palmer S, MacIsaac A, Whitbourn R, Davis P, Newcomb AE. Transcatheter versus Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in High-risk Patients: A propensity-score matched analysis. Heart Lung Circ. 2016 Feb 11.
12. Layland, J., Nerlekar, N., Palmer, S. Berry C., Oldroyd, K. Invasive Assessment of the Coronary Microcirculation in the Catheter Laboratory. Int J Cardiol. 2015. 199; 141-9.
13. Paratz, E. Palmer, S., Mariani, J. The Cardiac Complications of Obesity. Medicine Today. 2015. 16 (11);34-41.
14. Williams, P. D., Barlis, P., Palmer, S., Whitbourn, R. Plaque Rupture Within a 16-Year-Old Bare Metal Stent. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2014 Apr;30(4):464.e15-6.
15. Palmer, S., Wilson, A. M. Judkins, C. Williams, P. D. The Adenosine Mediated Effect Of Ticagrelor and Accuracy of Fractional Flow Reserve; Letter to the Editor. Journal of American College of Cardiology. 2013. 62 (7);644–648
16. Palmer, S., Judkins, C. Williams, P. D. Renal Sympathetic Nerve Denervation For The Treatment of Resistant Hypertension. The Medical Journal of Australia. 2013. 199 (3): 160-161.
17. Layland, J., Judkins, C., Palmer, S., Whitbourn, R., Wilson O’Brien, A., MacIsaac, A., Wilson, A., The Resting Status of Coronary Microcirculation is a Predictor of Microcirculatory Function Following Elective PCI for Stable Angina. International Journal of Cardiology. 2013. 169 (2): 121-125.
18. Palmer, S., Wilson, A. M. Assessing Ischaemia in Stable Angina. Cardiology Today. 2012. 2(1); 23-26.
19. Palmer, S., Mariani, J. A., Newcomb, A., Stokes, M. B., Burns, A. T. Successful Application of a PressureWire Retrogradely across an ATS Prosthetic Aortic Valve to Diagnose Constrictive Pericarditis. Cardiovascular and Revascularisation Medicine 2012. 13. Epub. May 25th.
20. Stokes, M. B., Palmer, S., Moneghetti, K. J., Mariani, J. A., Wilson, A. M. Asystole Following Complex Partial Seizures. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2012. Epub. Aug 6.View More