Ross Roberts-Thomson is a Structural Interventional Cardiologist at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. After completing his medical education at the University of Adelaide, he subsequently completed his junior doctor, cardiology registrar training, as well as both structural and coronary interventional training at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
Dr Roberts-Thomson received first class honours for his Honours degree in Bachelor of Medical Science Read More...
Procedures & Conditions
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Aortic and Mitral Valvuloplasty
- Closure of Patent Fossa Ovale (PFO)
- Closure of Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)
- Closure of Left Atrial Appendage (LAA)
- Coronary Angiography and Stenting
- Diagnostic / Therapeutic Catheterizations of Adult Patients with Complex Valvular Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease including Aortic Stenosis
- Adult Congenital and Structural Heart Disease
- Rheumatic Heart Disease
- Ischaemic Heart Disease
Cardiology ConsultantRoyal Adelaide Hospital 2019-Present
Coronary and Structural Interventional FellowRoyal Adelaide Hospital 2018-2019
Cardiology RegistrarRoyal Adelaide Hospital 2015-2017
Clinical LecturerUniversity of Adelaide 2015-Present
RACP Trainee of the Year Award
Heart Foundation 2016 Collaboration & Exchange Award
Heart Foundation Health Professional Scholarship
Mark Jolly Award - Travelling Fellowship
CPMEC Australasian Junior Doctor of the Year Award
SAIMET South Australian Junior Doctor of the Year Award
Churchill Fellowship Award
Golden Key International Honours Society
Rotary Carpe Diem Trust Scholarship
Royal Adelaide Hospital and Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science Honours Scholarship
National Heart Foundation Summer Vacation Scholarship
Research & Publications
1. Stokes MB, Roberts-Thomson RL. The role of cardiac imaging in clinical practice. Aust Prescr, 2017; 40:151-5.
2. Nelson AJ, Montarello NJ, Roberts-Thomson RL, Mentarello N, Delacroix S, Chokka RG, Sidharta SL, Thomas T, Worthley SG. Fungal Obstruction of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Valve. Circulation Interventions. 2016 Aug 1; 9(8): e004117.
3. Majeed K, Lucking AJ, Roberts-Thomson RL, Nelson AJ, Montarello JK, Worthley Sg. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: A solution for the young, inoperable and regurgitant. Heart, Lung and Circulation. May 2016.
4. Wong GB, Roberts-Thomson RL, Parvar SL, Nelson AJ. Large apical thrombus due to Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. BMJ case reports. 2016 Feb 15; 2016: bcr2016214503.
5. Nelson AJ, Wong GB, Roberts-Thomson RL and Parvar SL. 2016. Massive pulmonary embolism with acute cor pulmonale. Postgraduate Medical Journal, pp. postgradmedj-2016.
6. Geoffrey R. Wong; Ross L. Roberts-Thomson; Adam J Nelson. Defibrillator lead endocarditis. European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Imaging 2015; doi: 10. 1093/ehjici/jev232.
7. Mitchell R, Milford WJ, Bonning M, Markwell A, Roberts-Thomson R. Unaccredited Registrars in Australian Public Hospitals: Time for a Rethink? Australian Health Review 2013; 27 (4) 409-411.
8. Ross L Roberts-Thomson, Sam J Kirchner, Christopher X J Wong, MD: The New MBBS? MJA 2010; 193: 660-661.
9. Christopher X J Wong, Samual J Whitehouse, Thomas D Crowhurst, Ross L Roberts-Thomson [Letter] Restricted career paths for overseas students graduating from Australian medical schools: legal and policy considerations. MJA 2010; 193 (4): 245-246.
10. Roberts-Thomson RL. An evidence-based approach to representation. AMSJ 2010; 1 (1): 8
11. Willoughby SR, Roberts-Thomson RL, Lim HS, Schultz C, Prabhu A, De Sciscio P, Wong CX, Worthley MI, Sanders P. Atrial Platelet Reactivity in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 2010; 7 (9): 1178-83
12. Christopher X J Wong, Ross L Roberts-Thomson. [Letter] Does practice make perfect? The effect of coaching and retesting on selection tests used for admission to an Australian medical school. MJA 2009; 190 (2): 101-102.
13. Stiles, Martin; Brooks, Anthony; Kuklik, Pawel; John, Bobby; Fimitri, Hany; Lau, Denis; Wilson, Lauren; Dhar, Shashi; Roberts-Thomson, Ross; Mackenzie, Lorraine; Young, Glenn; Sanders, Prashanthan. High Density Mapping of Atrial Fibrillation in Humans: Relationship Between High Frequency Activation and Electrogram Fractionation. The Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology 2008; 19 (12): 1245-1253.
More publications available upon request.View More
- Australasian Prevocational Medical Education Forum. Auckland, New Zealand. (2011)
- Association of Medical Education in Europe Conference. Adelaide, Australia. (2008)
- Cardiovascular Society of Australia and New Zealand Conference. Adelaide, Australia. (2008)
- National Health and Medical Research Council Research Poster Competition. Melbourne, Australia. (2008)
- Heart Rhythm Society Conference. Denver, USA. (2007)
- Cardiovascular Society of Australia and New Zealand Conference. Canberra, Australia. (2006)
- Prevocational Medical Education Forum, Keynote Speaker. (2012)
- Inspire 2012, Keynote Speaker. (2012)
- Health Workforce Australia, Brown Bag (2012)
- Health Workforce Australia, “A Conversation with” (2012)
- The Garden of Health and Ginkgo Gate Opening (Adelaide Botanic Gardens), Keynote Speaker. (2011)
- RACS Younger Fellow Forum, Keynote Speaker. (2011)
- Medical Deans of Australia and New Zealand Annual Conference, Keynote Speaker and Expert Panelist (2010)
- AMA Internship Crisis and Workforce Summit, Speaker. (2010)
- AMSA National Leadership Development Seminar, Keynote Speaker. (2010)
- AMSA National Convention, Expert Panel Speaker. (2010)
- Adelaide to Outback Conference, Expert Panel Speaker. (2010)
- NZMSA National Consultation Workshop, Speaker. (2010)
- Universities Australia Conference, Expert Panel Speaker. (2010)
- South Australian Leadership Development Workshop, Keynote Speaker. (2010)
- Medical School Open Night, Student Speaker. (2004)
- National Youth Week, Passion Box Speaker. (2001)
- National Prevocational Forum, Passion Box Speaker (2001)
- National Prevocational Forum, Passion Box Speaker (2010)
- Medical Deans of Australia and New Zealand Annual Conference, Offical Delegate (2010)
- 6th Annual Nossal Institute Global Health Forum, Official Delegate (2010)
- International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations, Head of Delegation (2010)
- New Zealand Medical Students’ Association National Conference (2010)
- RACS Developing a Career in Academic Surgery Course, Delegate (2010)
- RACS Annual Scientific Conference, Student Delegate (2010)
- AMSA Global Health Conference (2010)
- IFMSA Train the New Trainers Workshop (2010)
- IFMSA ThinkGlobal Workshop (2010)
- MedEd 09, AMSA Delegate (2009)
- AMA (SA) Media Training Workshop (2009)
- Medical Student Outcomes Database Workshop, Medical Deans of Australia and New Zealand (2009)
- AMSA Leadership Development Seminar (2006, 2010)
- AMSA National Convention (2004-10)
- AMSA Developing World Conference (2006-07)
- Rescuing Medical Education Conference, Sydney (2005)
- Leadership Development Weekend, Rural Doctors Workforce Agency (2005)