Dr Peter J Larsen is a clinical and interventional cardiologist with special interests in interventional cardiac, structural heart, and endovascular procedures, including coronary angioplasty and stenting, peripheral arterial disease diagnosis and treatment, and transcatheter aortic valve intervention (TAVI). Peter is a registered specialist in computerised tomography (CT) Coronary Angiography and TAVI. Peter works in a hospital based private practice on the Sunshine Coast, Australia.
Dr Peter Larsen first worked on the Sunshine Coast as an Intern and Resident Medical Officer at Nambour General Hospital (NGH) after graduating with Honours from the University of Queensland. It was his experience then working in the Coronary Care Unit that led to his interest in Cardiology.
Dr Larsen completed his Physician training at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital and Advanced Training in Cardiology and a Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology at The Prince Charles Hospital. He holds a Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP).
Dr Larsen and his family then moved to Boston, Massachusetts USA, and completed a two year clinical and research Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology and Vascular Diagnosis and Intervention at the Lahey Clinic. This involved experience with a high volume of interventional procedures, including complex cardiac, structural heart, and endovascular interventions as well as acute emergency cases (e.g. primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) for emergency heart attacks), with a focus on trans-radial access. Peter also completed research, publishing in the area of trans-radial access for acute PCI.
Dr Larsen returned to the Sunshine Coast in 2010 as the inaugural Director of Cardiology for the Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service. He is currently an Adjunct Professor of Cardiology at the University of the Sunshine Coast.
Peter led the development of the Cardiac Catheterisation Labs at NGH and commencement of the 24/7, 365 day acute heart attack service on the Sunshine Coast. In 2014 Dr Larsen performed the first interventional cardiac procedure at the Kawana Hospital.
Peter is a Fellow of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (FCSANZ) and holds postgraduate certification in peripheral endovascular therapy (PET) with the Royal Australian College of Surgeons, Cardiac CT Angiography (CTCA) with the Royal Australian College of Radiologists, and TAVI accreditation with the CSANZ/ACOR.
Procedures & Conditions
- General Cardiology
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Diagnostic Coronary Angiography
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI), Primary PCI
- Trans-Radial PCI
- Rotational Atherectomy
- Right Heart Catheterisation
- TPW and IABP Insertion
- Left Atrial Appendage Closure
- ASD and PFO Closure
- VSD closure
- Valvuloplasty (Aortic, Mitral)
- Balloon Pericardotomy
- Trans-Septal Puncture
- PVAD Insertion (Tandem Heart and Impella Devices)
- Diagnostic Angiography (Arterial and Venous)
- Vascular Intervention
- Renal Denervation Therapy
- Transthoracic Echocardiography
- Exercise Stress Testing
- Holter Monitor Interpretation
- ECG – Interpretation
- CT Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Angina Pectoris
- Myocardial Infarction
Managing DirectorSunshine Coast Heart Specialists
Cardiology MAC RepresentativeSunshine Coast University Private Hospital
VMO, Interventional CardiologistSunshine Coast University Private Hospital
VMO, Interventional CardiologistBuderim Private Hospital
Adjunct Professor of CardiologyUniversity of the Sunshine Coast
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand - Fellow
Royal Australasian College of Physicians - Fellow
Massachusetts Medical Society - Member
Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Intervention - Affiliate Member
American College of Cardiology - Member
Research & Publications
- Colburn,D, Larsen PJ, Poulter R et al. Pre-hospital activation of the cardiac catheterization laboratory reduces door to balloon time in ST elevation myocardial infarction. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; 22 (S1): 150. Poster Presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2013.
- George T, Cullen L, Parsonage W, Larsen PJ, et al. Use of an Accelerated Diagnostic Protocol in the Assessment of Emergency Department Patients with Possible Acute Coronary Syndrome. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2013; 22 (S1): 53. Poster presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2013.
- J. Hanna, S. McKenzie, D. Platts, Larsen PJ et al. Six Year Follow Up and Outcome of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Detected Left Ventricular Trabeculation Without Non-compaction in Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2012; 21 (S1): 224. Poster presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2012.
- O’Donohue P, Dahl M, Larsen PJ, et al. The Sunshine Coast STEMI Pilot: An Integrated Network Model for Immediate Transfer of Regional patients to a PCI-Capable Hospital. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2011; 20 (S2):150. Poster presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2011.
- Larsen PJ, Shah S, Freilich M, Jeon C, Waxman S, Pyne C. Left versus right radial arterial access in primary Percutaneous intervention for acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Card 2010; 55 (10) S1: 105. Poster presentation at ACC/i2 Summit Annual Scientific Sessions 2010.
- Freilich MI, Larsen PJ, Pyne C, Shah S, Jeon C. Comparison of procedure times of transradial and transfemoral approaches for primary PCI in the setting of STEMI in a Single Centre. Poster Presentation at SCAI Annual Scientific Sessions 2009.
- Larsen PJ, Dahl M, Bell B, Walters D. Effectiveness of an “On-line”, Evidence-based, Referral System for the Risk Stratification and Early Management of Patients Presenting with Acute Coronary Syndromes to Rural and Remote Hospitals Without On-site Angiography. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2008; 17 (S3): 91. Poster Presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2008.
- Larsen PJ, McCann A, Slaughter R, Strugnell W. The presence of delayed enhancement on cardiac magnetic resonance imaging predicts left ventricular systolic dysfunction in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Invited Oral Presentation at SCMR Annual Scientific Sessions 2007.
- Ginns J, Slaughter, R, Larsen PJ, Denman, R. Comparison between CT Venography and Manual selective coronary sinus venography pre Bi-ventricular Pacemaker insertion. Heart Lung Circulation 2007; 16 (S1). Poster Presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2007.
- Larsen PJ, McCann A, Slaughter R, Strugnell W. MRI Gadolinium enhancement patterns in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Heart Lung Circulation 2006; 15 (S1):35. Invited Oral presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2006.
- Larsen PJ, McCann A, Walters DL, Radford D, Justo R. Percutaneous Closure of Patent Ductus Arteriosus in Adults: A Single Centre Experience. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 2006; 68 (S1):8. Poster Presentation at APIA Conference 2006.
- Ginns J, Larsen PJ, Denman R. The influence of baseline beta-blocker dose on outcomes in patients with AICDs inserted for primary prevention. Heart Lung Circulation 2006; 15 (S1):109-110. Poster Presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2006.
- Larsen PJ, Homann K, West P. Insertion of permanent pacemakers as a routine day case is safe and feasible. Heart Lung Circulation 2006; 15 (S1):105. Poster Presentation at CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting 2006.
1. Larsen PJ, Waxman S. Intracoronary Thermography: Utility to detect vulnerable and culprit plaques in patients with Coronary Artery Disease. Current Cardiovascular Imaging Reports 2009; 2 (4): 300-306.