Dr Michael Rowland is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon and TAVI Practitioner at the University Hospital Geelong. He particularly specialises in adult Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery and has a strong interest in aortic and mitral valve surgery, coronary bypass surgery and acquired lung disease.
After completing his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery at the University of New South Wales in 1987, Dr Rowland began his training at St Vincent’s Hosp Read More...
Procedures & Conditions
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Aortic Surgery
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Coronary Bypass Surgery
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
Cardiothoracic and Transplant SurgeonThe Alfred Hospital 2001 - 2011
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonCarbini Hospital 1998 - 2019
VMO Thoracic SurgeonNorthern Hospital 2001 - 2019
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonRoyal Melbourne Hospital 1998 - 2001
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonMelbourne Private Hospital 1998 - 2001
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonEpworth Hospital 1998 - 2001
People also viewed these Specialists
Research & Publications
1. MA Rowland, R Rae, P Van Gelderen, Intraperitoneal gallstone related sinus formation following laparoscopic cholecystectomy, Aust. N.Z.J.Surg (1993) 63 (2):150-1.
2. MA Rowland, FL Rosenfeldt, P Nagley, AW Linnane, Sensitivity of the Senescent Myocardium to ischaemia (abstract), Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology (1995)27(8), A484
3. MA Rowland, FL Rosenfeldt, Cardiac Surgery in Australia: The National Heart Foundation of Australia Registry, Asia Pacific J Thorac and Cardiovasc Surg; (1994)3(2);86-90
4. MA Rowland, FL Rosenfeldt, P Nagley, AW Linnane, Sensitivity of Senescent Rat Myocardium to Ischaemia and Aerobic Stress (abstract), Asia Pacific J Thorac and Cardiovasc Surg; (1995)4(1), 39
5. MA Rowland, P Nagley, AW Linnane, FL Rosenfeldt, Coenzyme Q10 treatment improves the tolerance of the senescent myocardium to pacing stress in the rat. Cardiovascular Research; (1990)40(1), 165-173
6. MA Rowland, FL Rosenfeldt, P Nagley, AW Linnane, Sensitivity of Senescent Rat Myocardium to Ischaemic and Aerobic Stresses (abstract), AUst. NZ J. Med. (1995) 25 (5); 635
7. Rosenfeldt FL, Pepe S, Ou R, Mariani JA, Rowland MA, Nagley P, Linnane AW, Coenzyme Q10 improves the tolerance of the senescent myocardium to aerobic and ischaemic stress: studies in rats and in human artrial tissue. Biofactors. 1999; 9(2-4):291-9
8. J Mariani, R Ou, M Bailey, MA Rowland, P Nagley, FL Rosenfeldt, S Pepe, Tolerance to Ischaemia and Hypoxia is reduced in aged human myocardium, J Thorac and Cardiovasc Surg. 2000; 120: 660667
9. FL Rosenfeldt, S Pepe, A Linnane, P Nagley, M Rowland, R Ou, S Marasco, W Lyon, D Esmore; Coenzyme Q10 protect the ageing heart against stress: Studies in rats, human tissues and patients. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 Apr; 959:355-9; discussion 463-5.
10. FL Rosenfeldt, S Pepe, A Linnane, P Nagley, M Rowland, R Ou, S Marasco, W Lyon. The effects of ageing on the response to cardiac surgery: protective strategies for the ageing myocardium. Biogerentology 3:37-40, 2002.
11. J Tatoulis, A Royse, B Buston, J Fuller, P Skillington, J Goldblatt, R Brown, MA Rowland. The radial artery in coronary surgery: A 5-year experience-Clinical and angiographic results. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 73:143-148.
12. Andrew E. Newcomb, Michael A. Rowland. Nontraumatic localized dehiscence of the proximal ascending aorta through an aortic valve commissure. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 78:321-323
13. Takahiro Oto, Franklin Rosenfeldt, Michael Rowland, Adrian Pick, Marc Rabinov, Arthur Prevolos, Gregory Snell, Trevor Williams, and Donald Esmore.Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation after Lung Transplantation: Evolving Technique. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004; 78: 1230-1235.
14. Donald Esmore, David Kaye, Robert Salamonsen, Mark Buckland, Michael Rowland, Justin Negri, John Woodard, John Begg, Peter Ayre, and Franklin Rosenfeldt. First Clinical Implant of the Ventrassist Left Ventricular Assist System as Destination Therapy for End-Stage Heart Failure. J Heart Lung Transplant 2005; 24:1150-4.
15. Silvana Marasco, Donald Esmore, Justin Negri, Michael Rowland, Andrew Newcomb, Michael Bailey, Meroula Richardson, and Franklin Rosenfeldt. Early Institution of mechanical support improves outcomes in Primary Allograft Cardiac Failure. J Heart Lung Transplant 2005;24:20237-42.
16. Cheng-Hon Yap, Christopher Reid, Michael Yii, Michael Rowland, Morteza Mohakjeri, Peter Skillington, Siven Seevanayagam, Julian Smith. Validation fo the Euroscore model in Australia. Eur J Cardiothoracic Surg. 2006;29:441-446.
17. Anthony Hadj, Donald Esmore, Michael Rowland, Salvatore Pepe, Lawrence Schneider, Jeremy Lewin, Franklin Rosenfeldt. Preoperative preparation for Cardiac Surgery utilizing a combination of metabolic, physical and mental therapy. Heart Lung and Circulation 2006; 15:172-181.
18. Takahiro Oto, Michael Rowland, Anne P. Griffiths, Bronwyn J Levvey, Donald S. Esmore, Trevor J. Williams, Gregory I. Snell. Third-Time Lung Transplant Using Extended Criteria Lungs. Ann Thorac Surg 2007;84:642-644
19. O van den Brink, Michael Rowland, Silvana Marasco, Donald Esmore, Franklin Rosenfeldt. Complex regional pain syndrome and methionine-enkephalin. Clin Chem. 2006 Mar;52 (3)
20. Silvana Marasco, Donald Esmore, Meroula Richardson, Michael Bailey, Justin Negri, Michael Rowland, David Kaye, Peter Bergin. Prolonged cardiac allograft ischemic time–no impact on long-term survival but at what cost? Clin Transplant. 2007 May-Jun;21 (3):321-9.
21. Julian Gooi, Silvana Marasco, Donald Esmore, Michael Rowland, Justin Negri, Adrian Pick. Fast-track cardiac surgery: application in an Australian setting. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2007 Apr;15(2):139-43.
22. Takahiro Oto, Marc Rabinov, Justin Negri, Sivana Marasco, Michael Rowland, Adrian Pick, Greg Snell, Franklin Rosenfeldt, Donald Esmore. Techniques of reconstruction for inadequate donor left atrial cuff in lung transplantation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Apr; 81(4):1199-204.
23. Chris Reid, Melinda Stockell, Peter Skillington, Gil Shardley, Julian Smith, Michael Yii, Siven Seevanayagam, Morteza Mohajeri, Michael Rowland. Inital twelve months experience and analysis for 2001-2002 from the Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons –Victorian database project. Heart Lung Circ. 2004 Sep;13(3):291-7.
24. Phuong L. Markman, Michael A Rowland, Jee-Yoong Leong, Juliana Van Der Merwe, Elsdon Storey, Silvana Marasco, Justin Negri, Michael Bailey, and Franklin L. Rosenfeldt Skeletonized internal thoracic artery harvesting reduces chest wall dysesthesia after coronary bypass surgery. J Thoracic Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 139: 674-9.View More
- St Jude Mechanical Valve: The St Vincent’s Experience, Asia Pacific Symposium, St Jude Medical, Nappa Valley USA February 1991.
- Routine Thoracic Epidural Analgeia after Lung Transplantation. ALA/ATS International Conference, Boston USA May 22-25. 1994
- Native Lung Pathology after Single Lung Transplantation. ALA/ATS International Conference, Boston USA MAy 22-25 1994
- Impact of Intraconazole on Aspergillosis after Lung Transplantation. ALA/ATS International Conference, Boston USA MAy 22-25 1994
- Management of Airway Anastamotic Complications following Lung and Heart-Lung Transplantation. ALA/ATS International Conference, Boston USA May 22-23 1994
- Making Your Heart Younger, Victorian Medical Research Week, Melbourne, Australia Juen 1994
- The Senescent Myocardium, Australasian Section of ISHR Adelaide, Australia August 1994
- Tolerance of the Senescent Rat Myocardium to Ischaemic and Aerobic Stress, 10th Inter-Annual Scientific Congress Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Cardiothoracic Section, Surfer’s Paradise November 1994
- Senescent Rat Myocardium. Invited speaker at Round Table Workshop at the opening of The Centre for Molecular Biology and Medicine, Monash University. Melbourne November 1994.
- Tolerance of the Senescent rat myocardium to aerobic stress: Effect fo pre-treatment with Coenzyme Q10. Australasian Section of ISHR Canberra August 1995
- Tolerance of the Senescent rat myocardium to ischaemic and aerobic stress, 43rd ASM Cardiac Society of Australia & New Zealand, Canberra August 1995
- Tolerance of the Senescent rat myocardium to aerobic stress: Effect of pre-treatment with Coenzyme Q10. 11th Inter-Annual Scientific Congress Royal Australasian. College of Surgeons Cardiothoracic Section, Noosa November 1995.
- The first 1000 VATS cases at the Austin Hospital. 12th Inter-Annual Scientific Congress Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Cardiothoracic Section, Noosa November 1996: Trainee lecture session.