Dr Meroula Richardson (MBBS, FRACP) completed her medical degree at the University of Western Australia, followed by training in cardiology at Royal Perth Hospital. She was awarded her FRACP in 1991 and soon after went to London to train in cardiac transplantation at Harefield Hospital under the supervision of Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub. During that time she managed patients with end-stage heart failure, including those on mechanical support with left ventricular assist devices, as well as all aspects of pre- and post-transplant care. She also participated in early trials of inhaled therapy for pulmonary hypertension.
In 1994 she returned to Australia to a position as Cardiologist with the Heart and Lung Replacement Service at the Alfred Hospital and worked on the transplant team until 2010. She was also a founding member of the Heart Failure Unit at the Alfred in 1997.
In 2001 she returned to Harefield and Brompton Hospitals on sabbatical leave, where she took up a Fellowship in Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy devices and this remains a sub-speciality for her.
Since 2010 Dr Richardson has been in practice at Cabrini Hospital where she continues her strong commitment to the optimal management of patients with all degrees of heart failure, as well as general cardiology. She maintains strong links with The Alfred Hospital and has an appointment to the Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic there, another of her key interests.
Procedures & Conditions
- Pacemaker and ICD Follow-u
- Pacemaker Implantation
- Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy
- Right heart catheterisation
- Defibrillator implants
- Cardiac biopsy
- Pulmonary Hypertension
CardiologistAlfred Hospital 1994 - 2010
Transpant RegistrarHarefield Hospital 1992 - 1994
Cardiology Advanced TraineeRoyal Perth Hospital 1989 - 1991
Intern, Resident Medial officer, Medical RegistrarRoyal Perth Hospital 1984 - 1989
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Research & Publications
- Stephens CJ, Graham RM, Sturm MJ, Richardson M, Taylor RR. Variation in plasma platelet-activating factor degradation and serum lipids after acute myocardial infarction. Coronary Artery Disease 1993; 4(2):187-93
- Richardson M, Pitney MR, Gibbons F, Cope GD, Cumpston GN and Mews GC: Short and long term results of coronary angioplasty in patients over the age of 75. Aust NZ J Med 1994; 24: 55-60
- Mikhail G, Gibbs J, Richardson M, Wright G, Khagani A, Banner N, Yacoub M. An evaluation of nebulized prostacyclin in patients with primary and secondary pulmonary hypertension. Eur Heart J 1997 Sep;18(9):1499-504
- Egan MK, Langham RG, Richardson M, Bergin P, Kaye D, Bailey M, Dowling J, Thomson NM, Stein-Oakley AN. Quantitative analysis of PDGFA, PDGFB, PDGF receptor beta and TGF-beta 1 mRNA in cardiac transplant biopsies. Transplant Proc 1999 Feb-Mar; 31(1-2):131-2
- Solin P, Bergin P, Richardson M, Kaye DM, Walters EH, Naughton MT. Influence of pulmonary capillary wedge pressure on central apnea in heart failure. Circulation 1999 Mar 30;99(12):1574-9
- Snell GI, Richardson M, Griffiths AP, Williams TJ, Esmore DS. Coronary artery disease in potential lung transplant recipients > 50 years old: the role of coronary intervention. Chest 1999 Oct;116(4):874-9
- Ueno T, Bergin P, Richardson M, Esmore DS. Bridge to recovery with a left ventricular assist device for fulminant myocarditis. Ann Thorac Surg 2000 Jan:69(1):284-6
- Wluka AE, Ryan PFJ, Miller AM, Richardson M, Bergin P, Page JL, Esmore DS. Post cardiac transplantation gout: incidence of therapeutic complications. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2000 Oct; 19(10):951-6
- Holst D, Kaye D, Richardson M, Krum H, Prior D, Aggarwal A, Wolfe R, Bergin P. Improved outcomes from a comprehensive management system for heart failure. European Journal of Heart Failure 2001 (3) 619-625
- Snell GI, Levvey B, Chin W, Richardson M, Kotsimbos T, Whitford H, Williams TJ. Sirolimus (rapamycin) allows renal recovery in lung and heart transplant recipients with chronic renal impairment. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2001 20(2): 163-164