Dr Melanie Freeman is a General and Interventional Cardiologist located in Victoria. She has a special interest in the management of coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, and chest pain, and performs a high volume of coronary angiograms, percutaneous interventions, and advanced imaging techniques.
Melanie consults at Knox Private Hospital, Eastern Health, Box Hill Hospital, and in private practice at Bond Cardiology. Outside of her hospital and practice roles, she is also an Adjunct Lecturer at the Eastern Health Clinical School, member of the national Women in Cardiology group, and works as a Medical Advisor for Ambulance Victoria.
She has also greatly contributed her knowledge and experience to research having worked on over 50 publications and peer-reviewed journals.
Melanie completed her medical degree at Monash University followed by specialist cardiology training at the Austin Hospital. She was awarded a two year Interventional and Structural Fellowship at the renowned St Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver, Canada, where she trained with Dr John Webb, a leader in transcatheter vale therapy.
* This physician is currently not participating in the Hope For Hearts program. This profile was created using publically available information.
Procedures & Conditions
- Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty
- Cardiac Catheterisation
- Coronary Angiograms
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Holter Monitoring
- Intravascular Ultrasound Imaging
- Percutaneous Aortic Valve Procedures
- Percutaneous Coronary Interventions (PCI)
- Percutaneous Structural Heart Interventions
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Adult Congenital Heart Defect/Disease
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Coronary Artery Disease
- General Cardiology
- Heart Failure
- Mitral Regurgitation
- Structural Heart Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
Consultant General and Interventional CardiologistKnox Private Hospital, Eastern Health, and Box Hill Hospital Present
Consultant General and Interventional CardiologistBond Cardiology, Ringwood East, Victoria Present
Adjunct Senior LecturerEastern Health Clinical School Present
Medical AdvisorAmbulance Victoria Present
Interventional and Structural FellowshipSt Paul's Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Member of Women in Cardiology Victoria
Research & Publications
1. Biswas S, Duffy SJ, Lefkovits J, Andrianopoulos N, Brennan A, Walton A, Chan W, Noaman S, Shaw JA, Dawson L, Ajani A, Clark DJ, Freeman M, Hiew C, Oqueli E, Reid CM, Stub D. Australian Trends in Procedural Characteristics and Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2018 Feb ;121(3):279-288.doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.10.025. Epub 2017 Oct 31.
2. Yudi MB, Hamilton G, Farouque O, Andrianopoulos N, Duffy SJ, Lefkovits J, Brennan A, Fernando D, Hiew C, Freeman M, Reid CM, Dakis R, Ajani AE, Clark DJ. Trends and Impact of Door-to-Balloon Time on Clinical Outcomes in Patients Aged <75, 75 to 84, and ≥85 Years With ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2017 Oct 15;120(8):1245-1253. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.07.005. Epub 2017 Jul 28.
3. Papapostolou S, Andrianopoulos N, Duffy SJ, Brennan AL, Ajani AE, Clark DJ, Reid CM, Freeman M, Sebastian M, Selkrig L, Yudi MB, Noaman SQ, Chan W. Long-term Clinical Outcomes of Transient and Persistent No-Reflow Following Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI): A Multi-Center Australian Registry. EuroIntervention. 2017 Oct 3. pii: EIJ-D-17-00269. doi: 10.4244/EIJ-D-17-00269. [Epub ahead of print]
4. Yeoh J, Yudi MB, Andrianopoulos N, Yan BP, Clark DJ, Duffy SJ, Brennan A, New G, Freeman M, Eccleston D, Sebastian M, Reid CM, Wilson W, Ajani AE; Melbourne Interventional Group. Evolution of Australian Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (from the Melbourne Interventional Group [MIG] Registry). Am J Cardiol. 2017 Jul 1;120(1):47-54. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.03.258. Epub 2017 Apr 12.
5. Yudi MB, Ajani AE, Andrianopoulos N, Duffy SJ, Farouque O, Ramchand J, Gurvitch R, Lefkovits J, Freeman M, Brennan A, Clark DJ, Reid C, Eccleston D. Early versus delayed percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with non-ST elevation acute coronary syndromes. Coron Artery Dis. 2016 Aug; 27(5): 344-9
6. Mok M, Allende R, Leipsic J, Altisent OA, Del Trigo M, Campelo-Parada F, DeLarochellière R, Dumont E, Doyle D, Côté M, Freeman M, Webb J, Rodés-Cabau J. Prognostic Value of Fat Mass and Skeletal Muscle Mass Determined by Computed Tomography in Patients Who Underwent Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2016 Mar 1; 117(5):828-33
7. Yudi MB, Ramchand J, Farouque O, Andrianopoulos N, Chan W, Duffy SJ, Lefkovits J, Brennan A, Spencer R, Fernando D, Hiew C, Freeman M, Reid CM, Ajani AE, Clark DJ. Impact of door-to-balloon time on long-term mortality in high- and low-risk patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Dec 1; 224:72-78.
8. Lancefield TF, Patel SK, Freeman M, Velkoska E, Wai B, Srivastava PM, Horrigan M, Farouque O, Burrell LM. The Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products (RAGE) Is Associated with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation. PLoS One. 2016 Sep 14;11(9):e0161715.
9. Barbanti M, Binder RK, Dvir D, Tan J, Freeman M, Thompson CR, Cheung A, Wood DA, Leipsic J, Webb JG. Prevalence and impact of preoperative moderate/severe tricuspid regurgitation on patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2015 Mar;85(4):677-84.
10. Al-Fiadh AH, Wong TY, Kawasaki R, Clark DJ, Patel SK, Freeman M, Wilson A, Burrell LM, Farouque O. Usefulness of retinal microvascular endothelial dysfunction as a predictor of coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol. 2015 Mar 1;115(5):609-13.
11. Al-Fiadh AH, Farouque O, Kawasaki R, Nguyen TT, Uddin N, Freeman M, Patel SK, Burrell LM, Wong TY. Retinal microvascular structure and function in patients with risk factors of atherosclerosis and coronary artery disease. Atherosclerosis. 2014 Apr; 233(2):478-84.
12. Sugumar H, Lancefield TF, Andrianopoulos N, Duffy SJ, Ajani AE, Freeman M, Buxton B, Brennan AL, Yan BP, Dinh DT, Smith JA, Charter K, Farouque O, Reid CM, Clark DJ; Australia and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) & Melbourne Interventional Group (MIG). Impact of renal function in patients with multi-vessel coronary disease on long-term mortality following coronary artery bypass grafting compared with percutaneous coronary intervention. Int J Cardiol. 2014 Mar 15;172(2):442-9.
13. Patel SK, Velkoska E, Freeman M, Wai B, Lancefield TF, Burrell LM. From gene to protein-experimental and clinical studies of ACE2 in blood pressure control and arterial hypertension. Front Physiol. 2014 Jun 24; 5:227.
14. Freeman M, Barbanti M, Wood DA, Ye J, Webb JG. Cerebral events and protection during transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2014 Nov 15; 84(6):885-96.
15. Binder RK, Barbanti M, Ye J, Toggweiler S, Tan J, Freeman M, Cheung A, Wood DA, Webb JG. Blood loss and transfusion rates associated with transcatheter aortic valve replacement: Recommendations for patients who refuse blood transfusion. Catheterization and cardiovascular Interventions, 2014 Jan 9, epub ahead of print.
16. Barbanti M, Leipsic J, Binder R, Dvir D, Tan J, Freeman M, Norgaard B, Hansson N, Cheung A, Ye J, Yang TH, Maryniak K, Raju R, Thompson A, Blanke P, Lauck S, Wood D, Webb J. Underexpansion and Ad Hoc Post-dilation in Selected Patients Undergoing Balloon-Expandable Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. JACC, 2013 Oct 22. Epub ahead of print.
17. Freeman M, Webb JG, Willson AB, Wheeler M, Blanke P, Moss RR, Thompson CR, Munt B, Norgaard BL, Yang TH, Min JK, Poulsen S, Hansson NC, Binder RK, Toggweiler S, Hague C, Wood DA, Pibarot P, Leipsic J. Multidetector CT predictors of prosthesis-patient mismatch in transcatheter aortic valve replacement. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2013 Jul-Aug; 7(4): 248-55.
18. Barbanti M, Binder RK, Freeman M, Wood DA, Leipsic J, Cheung A, Ye J, Tan J, Toggweiler S, Yang TH, Dvir D, Maryniak K, Lauck S, Webb JG. Impact of low-profile sheaths on vascular complications during transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve replacement. EuroIntervention. 2013 Dec 23; 9(8): 929-35.
19. Toggweiler S, Leipsic J, Binder RK, Freeman M, Barbanti M, Heijmen RH, Wood DA, Webb JG. Management of vascular access in transcatheter aortic valve replacement: part 2: Vascular complications. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Aug; 6(8):767-76.
20. Toggweiler S, Leipsic J, Binder RK, Freeman M, Barbanti M, Heijmen RH, Wood DA, Webb JG. Management of vascular access in transcatheter aortic valve replacement: part 1: basic anatomy, imaging, sheaths, wires, and access routes. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Jul; 6(7):643-53.
21. Le Ven F, Freeman M, Webb J, Clavel MA, Wheeler M, Dumont E, Thompson C, De Larochellière R, Moss R, Doyle D, Ribeiro HB, Alcazar MU, Nombela-Franco L, Rodés-Cabau J, Pibarot P. Impact of Low Flow on the Outcome of High Risk Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. JACC 2013 Jun 12. Epub ahead of print.
22. Barbanti M, Yang TH, Rodés-Cabau J, Tamburino C, Wood DA, Jilaihawi H, Blanke P, Makkar RR, Latib A, Colombo A, Tarantini G, Raju R, Binder RK, Nguyen G, Freeman M, Ribeiro HB, Kapadia S, Min J, Feuchtner G, Gurtvich R, Alqoofi F, Pelletier M, Ussia GP, Napodano M, de Brito FS Jr, Kodali S, Norgaard BL, Hansson NC, Pache G, Canovas SJ, Zhang H, Leon MB, Webb JG, Leipsic J. Anatomical and Procedural Features Associated with Aortic Root Rupture During Balloon-Expandable Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Circulation. 2013 Jun 7. Epub ahead of print.
23. Binder RK, Webb JG, Willson AB, Urena M, Hansson NC, Norgaard BL, Pibarot P, Barbanti M, Larose E, Freeman M, Dumont E, Thompson C, Wheeler M, Moss RR, Yang TH, Pasian S, Hague C, Nguyen G, Raju R, Toggweiler S, Min JK, Wood DA, Rodés-Cabau J, Leipsic J. The Impact of Integration of a Multidetector Computed Tomography Annulus Area Sizing Algorithm on Outcomes of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: A Prospective, Multicenter, Controlled Trial. JACC 2013 May 15. Epub ahead of print.
24. Binder RK, Webb JG, Toggweiler S, Freeman M, Barbanti M, Willson AB, Alhassan D, Hague C, Wood DA, Leipsic J. The Impact of Post-implant SAPIEN XT Geometry and Position on Conduction Disturbances, Hemodynamic Performance and Paravalvular Regurgitation. In press, JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2013.
25. Binder RK, Schäfer U, Kuck K, Wood DA, Moss RR, Leipsic J, Toggweiler S, Freeman M, Ostry AJ, Frerker C, Willson AB, Webb JG. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement with a New Self-expanding Transcatheter Heart Valve and Motorized Delivery System. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Mar;6(3):301-7.
26. Cheung A, Webb JG, Barbanti M, Freeman M, Binder RK, Thompson C, Wood D, Ye J. Five-Year Experience with Transcatheter Transapical Mitral Valve-in-Valve Implantation for Bioprosthetic Valve Dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013 Apr 30; 61(17):1759-66.
27. Urena M, Freixa X, Saw J, Webb JG, Freeman M, Horlick E, Osten M, Chan A, Marquis JF, Champagne J, Ibrahim R, Rodes-Cabau J. Late Outcomes Following Percutaneous Left Atrial Appendage Closure with the Amplatzer Cardiac Plug Device in Patients with Non-Valvular Atrial Fibrillation and Contraindications for Anticoagulation Therapy. In press, J Am Coll Cardiol, 2013.
28. Binder RK, Rodés-Cabau J, Wood DA, Mok M, Leipsic J, De Larochellière R, Toggweiler S, Dumont E, Freeman M, Willson AB, Webb JG. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement with SAPIEN 3: A New Balloon Expandable Transcatheter Heart Valve. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Mar;6(3):293-300.
29. Freeman M, Webb JG. Edwards SAPIEN and Edwards SAPIEN XT transcatheter heart valves for the treatment of severe aortic stenosis. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2012 Nov; 9(6): 563-9.
30. Toggweiler S, Humphries K, Lee M, Binder RK, Moss R, Freeman M, Ye J, Cheung A, Wood DA, Webb JG. Five-year outcome after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. In press, J Am Coll Cardiol, 2013 Jan 29; 61(4): 413-9.
More research publications available upon requestView More