Dr Keshav Bhattarai is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon who specialises in adult cardiac surgery procedures with an emphasis on advanced techniques in valve reparative procedures, minimally invasive and open adult thoracic surgery including proficiency in diagnostic and therapeutic rigid bronchoscopy.
Additionally, he is involved in delivering elective and emergency services in the tertiary level teaching hospital, Royal Hobart Hospital, as a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, and as a member of the surgical team. He performs a wide range of cardiothoracic procedures, various emergency procedures as well as the surgical management of acute type A aortic dissections.
Dr Bhattarai was heavily involved in the establishment of a Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit in Chitwan Medical College in Nepal, and he was also involved with the Grande International Hospital Cardiac Surgical Unit in Kathmandu, Nepal. He has experience in the teaching of undergraduate medical, nursing and paramedical students along with training of registrars and Overseas postgraduate fellows in Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Dr Bhattarani is the Founding President of the Australasian Nepalese Medical and Dental Association (ANMDA), which is a national organisation representing medical and dental professionals of Nepalese origin that are working within Australasia. He was also involved with setting up the Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit at Chitawan Medical College Teaching Hospital in Nepal and is a Faculty Member at the college.
* This physician is currently not participating in the Hope For Hearts program. This profile was created using publically available information.
Procedures & Conditions
- On and Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Total Arterial Revascularization
- Wedge Resections
- Valve Replacement Strategies
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Tricuspid Valve Surgery
- Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS)
- Lung Biopsies
- Pleural Biopsies
- Aortic Root Replacement
- Mechanical and Biological Composite Grafts
- Valve Preserving Techniques
- Open Decortication for Empyema
- Adult Congenital Heart Surgery
- Rigid Bronchoscopy
- Surgery for Infective Endocarditis
- Management of Chest Trauma
- Pacemaker Implantation
- Defibrillator Implantation
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Bicuspid Aortic Valve
- Lung Cancer
- Focal Hyperhidrosis
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Adult Congenital Disease
- Aortic Dissection and Aortic Aneurysm
- Heart Rhythm Abnormalities
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonRoyal Hobart Hospital 2015 - Present
Visiting Cardiothoracic SurgeonHobart Private Hospital Present
Visiting Cardiothoracic SurgeonCalvary Lenah Valley Hospital Present
Faculty Member as a Visiting Professor of Cardiothoracic SurgeryChitwan Medical College (CMC), Nepal 2014 - Present
Senior Cardiothoracic SurgeonGrande International Hospital, Nepal
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonThe Canberra Hospital 2012 - 2015
Post Graduate Fellow in Cardiothoracic SurgeryThe Canberra Hospital 2010 - 2012
Board of Cardiothoracic SurgeryRoyal Australasian College of Physicians 2005 - 2010
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellowship of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh (FRCSEd)
Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS)
Research & Publications
1. Turner, Laura & Hardikar, Ashutosh & Jose, Matthew & Bhattarai, Keshav & Fenton, Carmel & Sharma, Rajiv & Kirkland, Geoff & Jeffs, Lisa & Breslin, Monique & Ragaini, Bruna & Newland, Richard. (2020). Acute kidney injury, stroke and death after cardiopulmonary bypass surgery: the role of perfusion flow and pressure. Perfusion. 36. 026765912092491. 10.1177/0267659120924919.
2. Vittorio, Alexander & Sharma, Rajiv & Siejka, Dylan & Bhattarai, Keshav & Hardikar, Ashutosh. (2018). Recurrent pericardial effusion on Nivolumab for Metastatic Lung Adenocarcinoma: case report & review of the literature. Clinical Lung Cancer. 19. 10.1016/j.cllc.2018.05.010.
3. Marope, Dolly & Bhattarai, Keshav & Lipton, Jonathan. (2018). Quiz: The ICD patient with chest pain. Heart, Vessels and Transplantation. 2. 10.24969/hvt.2018.54.
4. Marope, Dolly & Hardikar, Ashutosh & Bhattarai, Keshav & Lipton, Jonathan. (2018). Answer to quiz on page 26 and Case Discussion: The ICD patient with chest pain. Heart, Vessels and Transplantation. 2. 10.24969/hvt.2018.55.
5. Azari, Mohammad & Fenton, Carmel & Thakur, Sameer & Murton, Mark & Bhattarai, Keshav & Hardikar, Ashutosh. (2017). Cardiac Surgery in Octogenarians: Early Outcome and Medium-Term Survival. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 26. S391. 10.1016/j.hlc.2017.03.110.
6. Thakur, Sameer & Azari, Mohammad & Fenton, Carmel & Carr, Nick & Sharma, Rajiv & Murton, Mark & Bhattarai, Keshav & Hardikar, Ashutosh. (2017). Risk Factors for Developing New Renal Failure in Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery: A Single Centre Experience. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 26. S387. 10.1016/j.hlc.2017.03.100.
7. Thakur, Sameer & Azari, Mohammad & Fenton, Carmel & Carr, Nick & Sharma, Rajiv & Murton, Mark & Bhattarai, Keshav & Hardikar, Ashutosh. (2017). Effects of Preoperative Renal Function on Outcomes Following Cardiac Surgery: A Comparative Study of 1875 Patients. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 26. S405-S406. 10.1016/j.hlc.2017.03.149.
8. Beardsley, Christian & Bhattarai, Keshav & Gananadha, Sivakumar & Mosse, Charles. (2012). Differentiating hepatic portal vein gas and pneumobilia. Journal of surgical radiology. 3. 176-179.View More
- Scientific paper presentation on “Open Repair for Failed Endovascular Repair of Traumatic Aortic Transection: Liverpool Hospital Experience”, ASCTS annual Meeting, Noosa, 2007.
- Scientific Paper Presentation on “Warfarin In Carotid Endarterectomy To Stop or Not To Stop” in RACS ACT meeting, Canberra, Nov 2006.
- Scientific Paper Presentation on “Aortic Dissection: Management and outcome in Canberra Hospital”, RACS ACT Meeting, Canberra, Nov 2005.
- Scientific presentation on “The Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Decortication in Management of Post Pneumonic Empyema; Canberra experience” in RACS Annual Scientific Congress, Perth, 2005.
- Scientific paper presentation on Intra-cardiac tumours: 5-year experience in TCH, RACS ACT meeting; Canberra, 2003.
- Poster presentation on “5-year experience on intracardiac tumours in The Canberra Hospital”, ASCTS annual meeting, Noosa,2003.
- Involved in a research project -‘Antibiotics in Appendicitis in paediatric population’- at The Canberra Hospital