Dr Joseph Montarello is an Interventional and Structural Cardiologist working within the Central Adelaide Local Health Network (CALHN) which includes the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) and The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (TQEH). He is also in private practice with Adelaide Cardiology (part of Genesis Care), with interventions predominantly performed at St Andrew’s Hospital.
Procedures & Conditions
- General Cardiology
- Coronary Intervention Including Rotablator
- Structural Heart Procedures including PFO and ASD Closure
- Alcohol Septal Ablation
- Left Atrial Appendage Closure
- Renal Denervation
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Mitral Incompetence
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Refractory Hypertension
- Atrial Fibrillation
Senior Staff Specialist Interventional & Structural CardiologyCentral Adelaide Local Health Network, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Department of Cardiology 2016-Present
Senior CardiologistSt Andrew's Hospital, Coronary Care Unit and Angiographic Suite 2016-Present
Senior CardiologistCalvary Wakefield Hospital, Coronary Care Unit and Angiographic Suite 2016-Present
Senior Visiting Interventional & Structural CardiologistDepartment of Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgical Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital 1994-2015
Medical Director Cardiothoracic Intensive Care UnitDepartment of Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgical Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital 1990-2012
Visiting Interventional Cardiologist / Medical Director Cardiothoracic Intensive Care UnitDepartment of Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgical Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital 1990-1993
Senior Registrar in CardiologyCardiac Clinic/Cardiovascular Investigational Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital 1989
Echo-Doppler TrainingHammersmith Hospital, London England 1987-1988
Clinical Research Fellow in CardiologyGuy's Hospital, London England 1987-1988
Advanced Trainee CardiologyCardiac Clinic, Royal Adelaide Hospital 1986
Advanced Trainee CardiologyCardiovascular Investigational Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital 1985
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Chair of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand, SA Branch
Member of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Centenary Medal for contribution made to Australia Society in the Field of Cardiology
South Australian Italian of the Year
Research & Publications
1. Thermal Effects of Stationary “Hot Tip” Laser Coronary Probe – An In Vitro Assessment. Rosenthal E, Montarello JK, Palmer T, Curry PVL. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 9: 229-236, 1989.
2. Coronary Artery Thermal Damage during Percutaneous “Hot Tip” Laser Assisted Angioplasty. Rosenthal E, Montarello JK, Palmer T, Curry PVL. The American Journal of Cardiology 64: 116, 1989.
3. His Bundle Ablation with the Laser Thermal Probe (“Hot Tip”) – A Feasibility Study. Rosenthal E, Montarello JK, Bucknall C, Fagg N, Curry PVL. PACE Vol 12 May 1989.
4. Normal and Stenotic Human Aortic Valve Opening: In Vitro Assessment of Orifice Area Changes with Flow. Montarello JK, Perakis A, Rosenthal E, Boyd E, Yates A, Deverall P, Sowton E, Curry PVL. European Heart Journal (1990) No 11, 484-491.
5. In Vitro Measurement of Stenotic Human Aortic Valve Orifice Area in a Pulsatile Flow Model. Validation of the Continuity Equation. Perakis A, Montarello JK, Rosenthal E, Boyd E, Yates A, Deverall P, Curry PVL, Sowton E. European Heart Journal (1990) No 11, 492-497.
6. Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty: Assessment of the Mechanisms, Magnitude and Duration of Effect Using a Pulsatile Flow Model. Rosenthal E, Montarello JK, Perakis Ac, Body E, Rosin M, Yates A, Deverall P, Sowton E, Curry PVL. British Heart Journal 1990; 63: 238-245
7. Does the Emergency Room Electrocardiogram Identify Patients with Suspected Myocardial Infarction Who Are At Low Risk of Acute Complications. Bell M, Montarello JK, Steele PM. Aust. New Zealand Journal of Medicine Volume 20 No 4 August 1990.
8. Efficacy of breathing and coughing exercises in the prevention of pulmonary complications after coronary artery surgery. Stiller K, Montarello JK, Wallace M, Daff M, Grant R, Jenkins S, Hall B, Yates H. Chest. 1994 Mar; 105(3): 741-7.
9. Transfemoral Aortic Valve Replacement with the Repositionable Lotus Valve System in High Surgical Risk Patients: The REPRISE I Study. Meredith I, Worthley SG, Whitbourn R, Antonis P, Montarello JK, Newcomb A, Lockwood S, Haratani N, Allocco D, Dawkins K. Eurointervention 2014; 9: 1264-1270.
10. A Percutaneous Solution for Recurrent Mitral Peri-Prosthetic Leak (MPVL). Prakash R, Sidharta S, Shirazi M, Montarello JK, Worthley SG. Int J Cardiol 180 (2015) 89-90.
11. Quadricuspid Aortic Valve Stenosis Treated with a Novel, Self-expanding, Repositionable Transcatheter Aortic Valve Prosthesis. Sidharta S, Prakash R, Montarello JK, Worthley SG. Int J Cardiol 183 (2015) 89-90.
12. Regression of aorta atherosclerosis in resistant hypertensive patients receiving catheter-based renal artery denervation: serial volumetric computed tomography analysis. Andrew J, Yakota Y, Pisaniello A, Montarello JK, Tsioufis C, Worthley M, Papdemetriou V, Nicholls S, Worthley SG. Heart Lung Circ. 2015; 24 (3): S359.
13. Safety and Performance of the EnligHTN Renal Denervation System in Patients with Severe Uncontrolled Hypertension: 12 month results from the EnligHTN II Study. Lobo M, Saxena M, Jain AJ, Walters D, Pincus M, Montarello JK, Worthley SG. J Hypertens. 2015 Jun; 33 Suppl1:e51.
14. Safety and performance of the next generation EnligHTN renal denervation system in patients with drug-resistant, uncontrolled hypertension: The EnligHTN III first-in-human multicentre study. Worthley SG, Wilkins GT, Webster MW, Montarello JK, Antonis PR, Whitbourn RJ, Warren RJ. Clinical Trials Reg Sci Cardio. 2015; 8:4-10.
15. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: A Solution for the Young, Inoperable and Regurgitant. Majeed K, Lucking AJ, Roberts-Thomson RL, Nelson AJ, Montarello JK, Worthley Sg. Heart, Lung and Circ. 2016 Oct; 25 (10) e 126-9.
16. Aortic atheroma burden predicts acute cerebrovascular events after transcatheter aortic valve implantation: insights from volumetric multi slice computed tomography analysis. Kataoka Y, Puri R, Pisaniello AD, Hammadah M, Qintar M, Uno K, Montarello JK, Nicholls SJ, Worthley Sg. Eurolntervention. 2016 Aug 20; 12(6): 783-9.
17. Safety and performance of the second generation EnligHTN Renal Denervation System in patients with drug-resistant, uncontrolled hypertension. Worthley SG, Wilkins GT, Webster MW, Montarello JK, Delacroix S, Whitbourn RJ, Warren RJ. Atherosclerosis 2017 May 2; 262: 94-100.View More