Dr Jim Dimitriou is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon based in Victoria with a special interest in complex aortic surgery, coronary artery bypass surgery, total arterial revascularization and pacing.
He currently consults in private practice with Melbourne Cardiothoracic Surgeons, and visits St Vincent’s Mebourne Public and Private Hospitals, Knox Private Hospital, Austin Hospital, and Epworth Hospitals at Richmond and Box Hill.
Jim completed his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery at Monash University and completed further training at Austin Hospital, Alfred Hospital, St Vincent’s Hospital and Royal Melbourne Hospital.
He then completed a 12-month Fellowship at Toronto General Hospital which focused on complex aortic surgery, mitral valve repair and heart failure surgery, under the supervision of Professor Tirone David.
He was awarded his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2013.
Procedures & Conditions
- Cardiac Surgery
- Surgical Aortic Valve Repair
- Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Aortic Arch Surgery
- Tricuspid Valve Surgery
- Cardiac Biopsy
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Tricuspid Valve Disease
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Aortic Valve Disease
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonSt Vincent's Public and Private Hospital Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonKnox Private Hospital Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonEpworth Hospitals: Richmond and Eastern Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonAustin Hospital 2015 - Present
Complex Cardiothoracic Surgery FellowshipToronto General Hospital 2015
Membership & Awards
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Australian & New Zealand Society of Cardiac & Thoracic Surgeons
American Association For Thoracic Surgery
Deans Honour List Final Year
Basic Surgical Skills - Laparoscopic Simulator Award
Research & Publications
1. Commons R, Dimitriou J, Campbell I. Acalculous cholecystitis caused by Salmonella virchow. ANZ J Surg 2008; 78(6): 514
2. Chaudhuri K, Bhaskar J, Dimitriou J, Chan J, Rosenfeld, Marasco S. Salvage Thoracotomy Seems Futile in Patients with Thoracic trauma Who Present with Deep Coma and Fixed Dilated Pupil. HLC 2011;20(4): 250-284
3. Goh C, McLellan A, Prior D, Newcomb, Dimitriou J, Rosalion A, Nixon I, Yii M. A Mid-Term Follow-Up of Surgical Ventricular Restoration Patients From the STICH Era. HLC2011; 20(12); 787-788
4. Goh C, McLellan A, Prior D, Newcomb A, Dimitriou J, Rosalion A, Nixon I, Yii M. Surgical Ventricular Restoration Procedure: A Single Centre Comparison of STICH VS Non-STICH Patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2013; 95 (2): 506 – 512
5. Saxena A, Dinh D, Dimitriou J, Reid C, Smith J, Shardey G, Newcomb A. Preoperative atrial fibrillation is an independent risk factor for mid-term mortality after concomitant aortic valve replacement and coronary artery bypass graft surgery. ICVTS 2013; 16(4): 488-494
6. Burrato E, Dimitriou J, Newcomb A, Rosalion A, Nixon I, Yii M, Conaglen P. Predicting adverse outcomes in elective coronary artery bypass graft surgery using pre-operative troponin I levels. Heart Lung Circ 2014; 23 (8): 711-716
7. Clay TD, Dimitriou J, McNally OM, Russell PA, Newcomb AE, Wilson AM. Intravenous leiomyomatosis with intracardiac extension – A review of diagnosis and management with an illustrative case. Surg Oncol 2013; 22 (3): e44-52View More
- St Vincent’s Hospital Research Meeting 2011 (Research Prize). “Does pre-operative troponin affect post-operative surgical outcome?”.
- St Vincent’s Hospital combined Cardiology / Cardiothoracics meeting 2011 o Presentation on evidence of CABGs vs. stents and the findings of the SYNTAX trial.
- ASCTS 2010 presentation: “Dor Procedure: Alfred Hospital Experience”.
- ASCTS 2010 presentation: “CO2 Insufflation of the pericardial field: A Randomised Controlled Trial investigating neurcognitive outcomes”.
- ASCTS 2010 Poster: Does Non-Cardiac Malignancy Affect the results of Cardiac Surgery.
- ASCTS 2008 Aortic Symposium – invited presentations on: Aortic valve repair o Bicuspid aortic valve repair o Aortic arch aneurysm o Thoracoabdominal aneurysm.
- ASCTS 2008 presentation: “Efficacy of a policy of peri-operative amiodarone in prevention of atrial fibrillation following adult cardiac surgery” Regular presentations of annual surgical audits at Royal Melbourne, Austin, Alfred and St Vincent’s Hospitals.