Dr Jerrett Lau is an Interventional Cardiologist with a particular interest in minimally invasive procedures. He currently practices at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Dr Lau completed his fellowship in interventional cardiology through the Australasian College of Physicians in the United Kingdom. He has gained extensive knowledge and experience in the minimally invasive procedure of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI).
Dr Lau has performed over 170 TAVI procedures and has participated in a number of different case studies. He has been awarded numerous accolades during his career and has had the opportunity to train internationally.
Dr Lau also has an interest in teaching and has lectured many other medical students both in the UK and Australia at universities including The University of Edinburgh, Bond University and Griffith University.
Dr Jerrett Lau has greatly contributed his knowledge and experience through many publications and presentations.
Procedures & Conditions
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Aortic Stenosis
Consultant CardiologistRoyal Adelaide Hospital Present
TAVI & Interventional FellowRoyal Infirmary of Edinburgh 2018 - 2019
Honorary Visiting Medical OfficerConcord Hospital 2015 - 2018
Clinical LecturerThe University of Sydney Medical School 2015 - 2018
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Specialist Registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
Associate Member of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
ESC Young Investigator Award
TCT International Fellows Case Competition
CSANZ Travelling Fellowship
2015 - 2017
NHMRC/National Heart Foundation of Australia Postgraduate Scholarship
Australian Vascular Biology Society Abstract Prize
CSANZ Travelling Fellowship
Concord Hospital “RMO of the Year” Award
The Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists Women’s Health Prize
The Dami Atapattu Prize for Anatomy
Research & Publications
1. Lau JK, Roy P, Javadzadegan A, Moshfegh A, Fearon W, Ng M, Lowe H, Brieger D, Kritharides L, Yong A. Remote ischaemic preconditioning acutely improves coronary microcirculatory function. JAHA. 2018 Oct 2;7(19):e009058.
2. Lau JK, Roy P, Bing R, Bannon PG, Lowe HC. A time to act and a time to watch. J Invasive Cardiol. 2017 Sep;29(9):E99-E100.
3. Lau JK, Chow V, Brown A, Kritharides L, Ng ACC. Predicting in-hospital death during acute presentation with pulmonary embolism to facilitate early discharge and outpatient management. PLoS One. 2017 Jul 13;12(7):e0179755.
4. Lau JK, Pennings G, Yong A, Kritharides L. Remote ischaemic preconditioning: mechanistic and clinical considerations. 2016. Heart Lung Circ. 2017 Jun;26(6):545-
5. Lau JK, Grogan J, Chan C, Yiannikas J. An unusual case of amyloidosis leading to death
(case report). Internal Medicine Journal. 2016; 46(2):236-8.
6. Lau JK, Anastasius M, Hyun K, Dabin B, Coverdale S, Ferry C, Hung J, Antonis P, Chew
D, Aliprandi-Costa B, Cass A, Brieger D. Evidence-based care in a population with
chronic kidney disease and acute coronary syndrome. Findings from the Australian Cooperative National Registry of Acute Coronary care, Guideline Adherence and Clinical Events. American Heart Journal. 2015; 170:566-572.
7. Lau JK, Yong A. Use of fractional flow reserve in different anatomical subsets. Coronary Artery Disease. 2015 Aug; 26 Suppl 1:e2-7.
8. Lau JK, Alcock R, Brieger D, Lowe H. Complex, diffuse in-stent atherosclerosis over a decade following bare metal stenting (case report). Coronary Artery Disease. 2015 Aug; 26 Suppl 1: e69-70.
9. Lau JK, Sy RW, Corbett A, Kritharides L. Myotonic dystrophy and the heart: A systematic review of evaluation and management. Int J Cardiol. 2015; 184:600-608.
10. Lau JK, Lowres N, Neubeck L, Brieger DB, Sy RW, Galloway CD, Albert DE, Freedman SB. iPhone ECG application for community screening to detect silent atrial fibrillation: A novel technology to prevent stroke. Int J Cardiol. 2013; 165(1):193-194.
11. Chow WWK, Bing R, Kanawati J, Lau JK, Sheriff J, D’Souza M, Brieger D. A Comparison
of Image Quality Using Radial vs Femoral Approaches in Patients Undergoing Diagnostic Coronary Angiography. J Invasive Cardiol. 2018; Nov;30(11):411-415.
12. Ng ACC, Lau JK, Chow V, Adikari D, Brieger D, Kritharides L. Outcomes of 4838 patients requiring temporary transvenous cardiac pacing: A statewide cohort study. Int J Cardiol, 2018; Nov 15;271:98-104.
13. Wong CCY, Chow WWK, Lau JK, Chow V, Ng ACC, Kritharides L. Red blood cell transfusion and outcomes in acute pulmonary embolism. Respirology. 2018; Oct;23(10):935-941.
14. Pasalic L, Wing-Lun E, Lau JK, Campbell H, Pennings GJ, Lau E, Connor D, Liang HPH, Muller D, Kritharides L, Hogg PJ, Chen VM. Novel assay demonstrates that coronary artery disease patients have heightened procoagulant platelet response. J Thromb Haemost. 2018;16(6):1198-1210.
15. Yong ASC, Javadzadegan A, Fearon WF, Moshfegh A, Lau JK, Nicholls S, Ng MKC, Kritharides L. The relationship between coronary artery distensibility and fractional flow reserve. PLoS One. 2017 Jul 25;12(7):e0181824.
16. Anastasius M, Lau JK, Hyun K, D’Souza M, Patel A, Rankin J, Walters D, Juergens C,
Aliprandi-Costa B, Yan AT, Goodman SG, Chew D, Brieger D. The underutilisation of dual antiplatelet therapy in acute coronary syndrome. Int J Cardiol. 2017 1;240:30-36.
17. Bing R, Chow V, Lau JK, Thomas L, Kritharides L, Ng A. Prevalence of echocardiography use in patients hospitalized with confirmed acute pulmonary embolism. 2016. PLoS One. 2016 Dec 15;11(12):e0168554.
18. Wong CC, Ng AC, Lau JK, Chow V, Sindone AP, Kritharides L. The prognostic impact of
chest pain in 1306 patients presenting with confirmed acute pulmonary embolism. Int J Cardiol. 2016; 221:794-799.
19. Ng AC, Adikari D, Yuan D, Lau JK, Yong ASC, Chow V, Kritharides L. The prevalence and
incidence of atrial fibrillation in patients with acute pulmonary embolism. PlosOne. 2016; 11(3):e0150448.
20. Wong CC, Ng AC, Lau JK, Chow V, Chen V, Ng AC, Yong A, Sindone AP, Marwick TH,
Kritharides L. High mortality in patients presenting with acute pulmonary embolism
and elevated INR not on anticoagulant therapy. Thromb Haemost. 2016; 115(5):
21. Lowes N, Neubeck L, Salkeld G, Krass Ines, McLachlan A, Redfern J, Bennett A, Briffa
T, Bauman A, Martinez C, Wallenhorst C, Lau JK, Brieger D, Sy R, Freedman SB. Feasibility and cost effectiveness of stroke prevention through community screening for atrial fibrillation using iPhone ECG in pharmacies. Thromb Haemost. 2014; 111(6):1167-76.
22. Chow V, Ranasinghe I, Lau JK, Stowe H, Bannon P, Hendel N, Kritharides L. Peri-procedural anticoagulation and the incidence of haematoma formation after permanent pacemaker implantation in the elderly. Heart Lung Circ. 2010; 19(12):706–
23. Girgis C, Naganathan V, Lau JK, Swaraj S. Unsafe glycaemic targets in older diabetic
patients. Internal Medicine Journal. 2010; 40(7): 541-542.
- Lau JK, Pennings GJ, Reddel CJ, Campbell H, Liang HP, Traini M, Yong A, Chen V,
Kritharides L. Remote ischaemic preconditioning attenuates thrombin-mediated conformational activation of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa, the generation of procoagulant platelets and platelet mitochondrial membrane depolarisation in patients receiving antiplatelet therapy. CSANZ, 2018, Ralph Reader session.
- Lau JK, Javadzadegan A, Roy P, Lowe H, Brieger D, Kritharides L, Yong A. Remote ischaemic preconditioning causes rapid increase in coronary flow reserve and reduction in microcirculatory resistance. ESC congress, 2017.
- Lau JK, Pennings G, Reddel C, Campbell H, Chen H, Yong A, Kritharides L. Remote ischaemic preconditioning exerts pathway-specific inhibition of platelet activation in patients with coronary artery disease on dual antiplatelet therapy. ESC congress, 2016.
- Lau JK, Pennings G, Reddel C, Campbell H, Chen H, Yong A, Kritharides L. Remote Ischaemic Preconditioning Attenuates Platelet Glycoprotein IIb-IIIa Conformational Activation in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease on Dual Antiplatelet Therapy. CSANZ, 64th ASM, 2016.
- Lau JK, Ng ACC, Chow V, Chung T, Yong ASC, Kritharides L. A superior risk prediction model for in-hospital mortality during acute presentation with pulmonary embolism. CSANZ, 63rd ASM, 2015.
- Lau JK, Anastasius MO, Hyun KK, Coverdale S, Ferry C, Hung J, Antonis P, Chew D, Costa B, Brieger DB. Evidenced based therapies in a population with chronic kidney disease presenting with an acute coronary syndrome. ESC congress, 2013.
- Lau JK, Lowres N, Neubeck L, Brieger DB, Sy RW, Galloway CD, Albert DE, Freedman SB. Performance of an automated iPhone ECG algorithm to diagnose atrial fibrillation in a community AF screening program (SEARCH-AF). CSANZ, 61st ASM, 2013.
- Lau JK, Lowres N, Neubeck L, Brieger DB, Sy RW, Galloway C, Albert DE, Freedman SB. Validation of an iPhone ECG Application Suitable for Community Screening for Silent Atrial Fibrillation: A Novel way to Prevent Stroke. AHA scientific sessions, 2012.
- Lau JK, Ranasinghe I, Chow V, Stowe H, Hendel N, Kritharides L. Early complications after pacemaker implantation in the elderly. CSANZ, 57th ASM, 2009.
- Lau JK, Chow V, Ranasinghe I, Stowe H, Hendel N, Kritharides L. Peri-procedural anticoagulation and the incidence of haematoma formation after permanent pacemaker implantation. CSANZ, 57th ASM, 2009.