Dr Jee-Yoong Leong is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon located in Tasmania. He currently consults at the Calvary Lenah Valley Hospital, Calvary St Luke’s Hospital in Launceston and Royal Hobart Hospital.
After finishing his medical studies, Dr Leong completed a Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship at the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sydney, New South Wales. Following this, he spent completed a two-year advanced fellowship at two Harvard University-affiliated teaching hospitals in Boston, USA.
Dr Leong initially began consulting at the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sydney before moving to Tasmania to establish his practice. He has a special interest in minimally invasive cardiac surgery, aortic and mitral valve surgery, aortic root surgery and general thoracic surgery.
* This physician is currently not participating in the Hope For Hearts program. This profile was created using publically available information.
Procedures & Conditions
- Aortic Root Surgery
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Aortic Arch Repair
- Adult Congenital and Minimally Invasive Aortic and Mitral Valve Surgery
- Valve Sparing Root Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Thoracic Surgery
- Total Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Mitral Valve Stenosis
- Obstructed Coronary Artery
- Acute and Chronic Thoracic Aortic Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Lung Cancer
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonCalvary Lenah Valley Hospital Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonCalvary St Luke's Hospital Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonRoyal Hobart Hospital 2018 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonPrince of Wales Hospital, Sydney 2015 - 2018
Cardiothoracic FellowPrince of Wales Hospital, Sydney 2011
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Cardiothoracic Surgery)
Member of the Australia and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS)
Research & Publications
1. Rosenfeldt, Franklin & Braun, Lesley & Spitzer, Ondine & Bradley, Scott & Shepherd, Judy & Bailey, Michael & Merwe, Juliana & Leong, Jee-Yoong & Esmore, Donald. (2011). Physical conditioning and mental stress reduction – a randomised trial in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. 11. 20. 10.1186/1472-6882-11-20.
2. Leong, Jee-Yoong & Merwe, Juliana & Pepe, Salvatore & Bailey, Michael & Perkins, Anthony & Lymbury, Robyn & Esmore, Donald & Marasco, Silvana & Rosenfeldt, Franklin. (2010). Perioperative metabolic therapy improves redox status and outcomes in cardiac surgery patients: A randomised trial. Heart, lung & circulation. 19. 584-91. 10.1016/j.hlc.2010.06.659.
3. Markman, Phuong & Rowland, Michael & Leong, Jee-Yoong & Merwe, Juliana & Storey, Elsdon & Marasco, Silvana & Negri, Justin & Bailey, Michael & Rosenfeldt, Franklin. (2009). Skeletonized internal thoracic artery harvesting reduces chest wall dysesthesia after coronary bypass surgery. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 139. 674-9. 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2009.03.066.
4. Pepe, Salvatore & Leong, Jee-Yoong & Merwe, Juliana & Marasco, Silvana & Hadj, Anthony & Lymbury, Robyn & Perkins, Anthony & Rosenfeldt, Franklin. (2008). Targeting oxidative stress in surgery: Effects of ageing and therapy. Experimental gerontology. 43. 653-7. 10.1016/j.exger.2008.03.011.
5. Markman, Phuong & Rowland, Michael & Leong, Jee-Yoong & Marasco, Silvana & Negri, Justin & Merwe, Juliana & Bailey, Michael & Rosenfeldt, Franklin. (2007). SKELETONISED VS. PEDICLE INTERNAL MAMMARY ARTERY HARVESTING: EFFECT ON CHEST NEUROPATHIC PAIN AFTER CORONARY BYPASS SURGERY. Heart Lung and Circulation – HEART LUNG CIRC. 16. 10.1016/j.hlc.2007.02.044.
6. Merwe, Juliana & Leong, Jee-Yoong & Kaye, David & Opat, Stephen & Bergin, Peter & Taylor, Andrew & Rosenfeldt, Franklin. (2007). Antioxidant Therapy for Severe Cardiac Failure Induced by Iron Overload Secondary to Dyserythropoietic Anaemia. Heart, lung & circulation. 16. 394-7. 10.1016/j.hlc.2006.12.010.
7. Lim, Hou-Kiat & Anderson, James & Leong, Jee-Yoong & Pepe, Salvatore & Salamonsen, Robert & Rosenfeldt, Franklin. (2007). What is the Role of Leukocyte Depletion in Cardiac Surgery?. Heart, lung & circulation. 16. 243-53. 10.1016/j.hlc.2007.01.003.
8. Rosenfeldt, Franklin & Marasco, Silvana & Leong, Jee-Yoong & Pepe, Salvatore. (2006). Oxidative Stress and Coenzyme Q 10 Therapy. 10.1142/9781860948046_0034.