Dr Ian Nicholson is an Adult and Paediatric Cardiothoracic Surgeon who specialises in all aspects of structural heart disease, valve repairs, aortic surgery, arrhythmia surgery, chest corrective procedures and lung conditions. Dr Nicholson is the Head of the Cardiothoracic Department at Westmead Private Hospital and Sydney Adventist Hospital and he also consults as a Visiting Medical Officer Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Westmead Hospital, Norwest Private Hospital, and The Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network in Westmead and Randwick.
Dr Nicholson completed a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) at the University of Sydney, followed by a Surgical Fellowship at Harvard University, associated with the Boston Children’s Hospital and Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston. During his time overseas, he also underwent further training in Trauma Surgery at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh in Scotland.
Dr Nicholson is an active researcher and Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney. He is also the Clinical Director of the Steering Committee for Open Heart International. He has volunteered in over 50 life-saving heart surgery missions with Open Heart International in the South Pacific, East Asia, East Africa and South America. His longstanding commitment and service to humanitarian work earning him an appointment as a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 2015, and was a NSW finalist in the Australian of the Year awards in 2016.
Procedures & Conditions
- Aortic Aneursym
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Arrhythmia Surgery
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Repair
- Chest Correction Surgery
- Coarctation Repair
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Surgery
- Lung Surgery
- Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS)
- Minimally Invasive Coronary Surgery (MICS)
- Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery
- Mitral Valve Repair and Replacement
- Patent Ductus Arteriosis (PDA) Ligation
- Ross Procedure
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF) Repair
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) Repair
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Atrial Defects
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Patent Ductus Arteriosis (PDA)
- Septal Defects
- Structural Heart Disease
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Valvular Heart Disease
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonWestmead Hospital 2000 - Present
VMO Cardiothoracic Surgeon; Head of Cardiothoracic DepartmentWestmead Private Hospital 2000 - Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonNorwest Private Hospital 2000 - Present
VMO Cardiothoracic Surgeon; Head of Cardiothoracic DepartmentSydney Adventist Hospital 2000 - Present
VMO Cardiothoracic SurgeonThe Sydney Children's Hospitals Network (Westmead and Randwick) 2000 - Present
Clinical Director, Steering CommitteeOpen Heart International 2000 - Present
Senior LecturerUniversity of Sydney 2002 - Present
Supervisor of TrainingWestmead Hospital 2007 - 2015
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
National Vocational Experience Award, Rotary
Rotary Paul Harris Fellow
Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
Finalist Parramatta City, Australia Day Awards
Order of Papua New Guinea
Research & Publications
1. Complete atrioventricular septal defect repair in Australia: Results over 25 years.
Fong LS; Betts K; Bell D; Konstantinov IE; Nicholson IA; Winlaw DS; Orr Y; Australian CAVSD Study Group. Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery. 2019 Aug 30.
2. Effects of air filtration at small SO2 and NO2 concentrations on the yield of barley. Fowler D; Cape JN; Leith ID; Paterson IS; Kinnaird JW; Nicholson IA. Environmental Pollution. 53(1-4):135-49, 1988.
3. Impact of High-Risk Characteristics in Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Salve GG; Datar GM; Perumal G; Singh AAV; Ayer JG; Roberts P; Sholler GF; Cole AD; Pigott N; Loughran-Fowlds A; Weatherall A; Alahakoon TI; Orr Y; Nicholson IA; Winlaw DS. World Journal for Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery. 10(4):475-484, 2019 07.
4. Patient-Specific Approach to Mitral Valve Replacement in Infants Weighing 10 kilograms or less. Mater K; Ayer J; Nicholson I; Winlaw D; Chard R; Orr Y. World Journal for Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery. 10(3):304-312, 2019 05.
5. Simplified single patch technique for the repair of atrioventricular septal defect. Nicholson IA; Nunn GR; Sholler GF; Hawker RE; Cooper SG; Lau KC; Cohn SL. Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery. 118(4):642-6, 1999 Oct.
6. Effect of atrial radiofrequency ablation designed to cure atrial fibrillation on atrial mechanical
function. Thomas SP; Nicholson IA; Nunn GR; Rees A; Trieu L; Daly MP; Wallace EM; Ross DL. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 11(1):77-82, 2000 Jan.
7. Laparoscopically assisted massive splenectomy. A preliminary report of the technique of early hilar devascularization. Nicholson IA; Falk GL; Mulligan SC. Surgical Endoscopy. 12(1):73-5, 1998 Jan.
8. Mechanism, localization and cure of atrial arrhythmias occurring after a new intraoperative endocardial radiofrequency ablation procedure for atrial fibrillation. Thomas SP; Nunn GR; Nicholson IA; Rees A; Daly MP; Chard RB; Ross DL. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 35(2):442-50, 2000 Feb.
9. Minimal sternotomy approach for congenital heart operations. Nicholson IA; Bichell DP; Bacha EA; del Nido PJ. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 71(2):469-72, 2001 Feb.
10. Radiofrequency lesions produced by handheld temperature controlled probes for use in atrial fibrillation surgery. Thomas SP; Nicholson IA; Nunn GR; Ross DL. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 20(6):1188-93, 2001 Dec.
11. Surgical management of complex and tunnel-like subaortic stenosis. Jahangiri M; Nicholson IA; del Nido PJ; Mayer JE; Jonas RA. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 17(6):637-42, 2000 Jun.
12. Culture-negative endocarditis due to Houston Complex Bartonella henselae acquired in Noumea, New Caledonia. Rodrick D; Dillon B; Dexter M; Nicholson I; Marcel S; Dickeson D; Iredell J. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 42(4):1846-8, 2004 Apr.
13. Congenitally corrected transposition: complex anatomic repair or Fontan pathway? Marathe SP; Jones MI; Ayer J; Sun J; Orr Y; Verrall C; Nicholson IA; Chard RB; Sholler GF; Winlaw DS. Asian Cardiovascular & Thoracic Annals. 25(6):432-439, 2017 Jul.
14. Early outcomes from a new regional programme for the surgical management of hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Orr Y; Leclair K; Jacobe S; Badawi N; Nicholson IA; Chard RB; Sholler GF; Winlaw DS. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 85(6):466-71, 2015 Jun.
15. Five-year analysis of operative mortality and neonatal outcomes in congenital heart disease. Padley JR; Cole AD; Pye VE; Chard RB; Nicholson IA; Jacobe S; Baines D; Badawi N; Walker K; Scarfe G; Leclair K; Sholler GF; Winlaw DS. Heart, Lung & Circulation. 20(7):460-7, 2011 Jul.
16. Anomalous systemic arterial supply to normal basal segment of the left lung. Singhi AK; Nicholson I; Francis E; Kumar RK; Hawker R. Heart, Lung & Circulation. 20(6):357-61, 2011 Jun.
17. Evaluation of the extracardiac conduit modification of the Fontan operation for thrombus formation using magnetic resonance imaging. Takawira F; Ayer JG; Onikul E; Hawker RE; Kemp A; Nicholson IA; Sholler GF. Heart, Lung & Circulation. 17(5):407-10, 2008 Oct.
18. Outcomes following surgery for congenital heart disease in low-birthweight infants. Dimmick S; Walker K; Badawi N; Halliday R; Cooper SG; Nicholson IA; Sherwood M; Chard RB; Hawker R; Lau KC; Jones O; Grant PW; Sholler GF; Winlaw DS; Neonatal Intensive Care Units Study (NICUS) of the New South Wales Pregnancy and Newborn Services Network. Journal of Paediatrics & Child Health. 43(5):370-5, 2007 May.
19. Comparison of bipolar and unipolar radiofrequency ablation in an in vivo experimental model. Bugge E; Nicholson IA; Thomas SP. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 28(1):76-80; discussion 80-2, 2005 Jul.
20. Mid-term results for double inlet left ventricle and similar morphologies: timing of Damus-Kaye-Stansel. Clarke AJ; Kasahara S; Andrews DR; Cooper SG; Nicholson IA; Chard RB; Nunn GR; Winlaw DS. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 78(2):650-7; discussion 657, 2004 Aug.
21. Circulatory arrest for repair of postcoarctation site aneurysm. Kang N; Clarke AJ; Nicholson IA; Chard RB. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 77(6):2029-33, 2004 Jun.
22. “A coherent datum of perception”: Gordon Allport, Floyd Allport, and the politics of “personality”. Nicholson IA. Journal of the History of the Behavioral Sciences. 36(4):463-70, 2000.
23. Transcaval repair of the sinus venosus syndrome. Nicholson IA; Chard RB; Nunn GR; Cartmill TB. Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery. 119(4 Pt 1):741-4, 2000 Apr.
24. Neonatal ductus arteriosus aneurysm causing nerve palsies and airway compression: surgical treatment by decompression without excision. Hornung TS; Nicholson IA; Nunn GR; Hawker RE. Pediatric Cardiology. 20(2):158-60, 1999 Mar-Apr.
25. Modified T graft for triple-vessel disease. Nicholson IA; Paterson HS. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 64(2):451-3, 1997 Aug.
26. Combined coronary artery bypass grafting and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Vicaretti M; Fletcher JP; Richardson A; Chard R; Klineberg P; Nicholson I. Cardiovascular Surgery. 2(3):340-3, 1994 Jun.View More