Dr Heath Adams is a Tasmanian born, bred and educated Interventional and Structural Cardiologist who has returned from overseas training in London, United Kingdom with the aim to start the TAVI programme at the Royal Hobart Hospital.
Dr Adams clinical interest and expertise is in the management of aortic stenosis, valvular heart disease, structural heart conditions, acute coronary syndromes, coronary physiology, intravascular imaging and risk factor modification. Heath is also trained in structural cardiac CT. Dr Adams performs coronary interventions including FFR, OCT, IVUS, rotational atherectomy, left main and bifurcation stenting; and structural heart interventions including TAVI, aortic valvuloplasty, PFO/ASD closure and percutaneous mitral valve intervention.
Dr Adams achieved First Class Honours in his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery from the University of Tasmania in 2009. He achieved a Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians in Adult Cardiology in 2016 after training appointments at St Vincent’s Melbourne and the Royal Hobart Hospital. Following this, he performed a 2 year coronary and structural fellowship at St Vincent’s Melbourne. In 2019, he was the Structural Heart Fellow at St Thomas’ Hospital, London, United Kingdom, a worldwide centre of excellence in TAVI and structural heart procedures. This fellowship was supported by the prestigious Dr MG Ciezar Memorial Scholarship in Cardiovascular Medicine from the University of Tasmania.
Dr Adams has published over 50 manuscripts and abstracts in peer-reviewed journals and has been involved in two book chapters. In 2019, he was awarded the best clinical case presentation winner at the EuroPCR London Valves Conference. Dr Adams is a reviewer for various international cardiology journals and is performing a higher academic degree through the University of Tasmania.
Heath is passionate about clinical innovation and patient outcomes, particularly in TAVI and the treatment of severe aortic stenosis.
Procedures & Conditions
- Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty
- Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasty
- Bifurcation Stenting
- Cardiac Catheterisation
- Coronary Angiograms
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Fractional Flow Reserve and Pressure Wire
- Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Insertion
- Intravascular Ultrasound Imaging
- Invasive Cardiology
- Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device (LAACD)
- MitraClip Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Device
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) Closures
- Percutaneous Aortic Valve Procedures
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI)
- Percutaneous Mitral Valve Procedures
- Percutaneous Structural Heart Intervention
- Pressure Wire Assessment
- Renal Nerve Denervation
- Right Heart Catheterisation
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Transcatheter Mitral Valve Implantation
- Transfemoral and Alternate Access TAVI
- Valve in Valve TAVI Procedures
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Adult Congenital Heart Defect/Disease
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Cardiac Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Mitral Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Preventative Cardiology
- Resistant Hypertension
- Structural Heart Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
Consultant Interventional & Structural CardiologistRoyal Hobart Hospital 2020 - Present
Senior Clinical Fellow in Valvular Heart Disease & Structural InterventionSt Thomas' Hospital, London 2019
Interventional Cardiology FellowSt Vincent's Melbourne 2017 - 2018
Senior Cardiology Advanced TraineeSt Vincent's Melbourne & Royal Hobart Hospital 2014 - 2016
Basic Physician TrainingSt Vincent's Melbourne 2011 - 2013
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ)
European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EuroPCR)
British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
Dr MG Ciezar Memorial Scholarship for Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Tasmania
EuroPCR London Valves Top 3 Clinical Cases
Faculty Member EURO PCR London Valves
ANZET Geoff Mews Fellow’s Prize Finalist, ANZET, Perth
European Society of Cardiology Scholarship to attend ESC 2015 London
2004 - 2009
Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery with First Class Honours, University of Tasmania
Royal Australian College of Physicians Prize (Best Individual Performance Final Year Student), School of Medicine, University of Tasmania
Orthopaedic Fellowship Prize (Best Individual Performance Final Year Student), School of Medicine, University of Tasmania
2008 - 2009
Commonwealth Government of Australia Education & Accommodation Scholarship
Dean’s Honour Roll, School of Medicine, University of Tasmania
Research & Publications
1. Adams H, Patterson T, Redwood S, Prendergast B. Prior preparation prevents poor TAVR performance. JACC Interventions 2019. 12(18):1778-1780.
2. Adams H, Rajani R, Hildick-Smith D, Redwood S. Between a rock and the mitral valve space. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Nov 6. doi: 10.1002/ccd.28573.
3. Adams H, Prendergast B, Redwood S. BIOVALVE A New Self-Expanding Supra-Annular TAVR System. JACC Interventions 2019. 10.1016/j.jcin.2019.09.002
4. Patterson T, Adams H, Allen C, Rajani R, Prendergast B, Redwood S. Indirect Annuloplasty to Treat Functional Mitral Regurgitation: Current Results and Future Perspectives. Front Cardiovasc Med 2019; 6:60.
5. Jin D, Adams H, Cocco A, Martin W, Palmer S. Smartphones & Wearable Technology, Benefits & Concerns in Cardiology. Med J Aust. 2019 Dec 18. doi: 10.5694/mja2.50446.
6. Ha F, Adams H, Palmer S. Device closure of patent foramen ovale in patients with cryptogenic stroke: a paradigm in evidence. Medical Journal of Australia 2019. doi: 10.5694/mja2.50341.
7. Ha F, Agarwal S, Tweed K, Palmer S, Adams HS, Thillai M, Williams L. Imaging in Suspected Cardiac Sarcoidosis: A Diagnostic Challenge. Current Cardiology Reviews 2019. doi: 10.2174/1573403X15666190725121246.
8. Tham J, Adams H, Paleri S, et al. Clinical Outcomes of Self-Expandable versus Balloon Expandable TAVI for Severe Aortic Stenosis. Acta Cardiologica doi:10.1080/00015385.2019.1572959.
9. Ha FJ, Tham JLM, Paleri S, Wright C, Yap K, Adams H, Whitbourn R, Palmer S. Outcomes of Incidental Findings on Multi-Slice Computed Tomography for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Assessment: A Single-Centre Study and Review of the Literature. Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology. doi: 10.1111/1754-9485.12872.
10. Brennan A, Adams H, Galligan J, Whitbourn R. Coronary vasospasm & concurrent Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. British Journal of Cardiology 2019; 26:38–40.
11. Brennan A, Martin W, Adams H, Yii M. Impact of the Cox-Maze IV Procedure on Left Atrial Mechanical Function. Heart Lung Circ 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2018.11.008.
12. Adams H, Ashokkumar S, Newcomb A, MacIsaac AI, Whitbourn RJ, Palmer SC. A Comprehensive Review on Severe Aortic Stenosis. Intern Med J. 2018 Aug 8. doi: 10.1111/imj.14071.
13. Palmer S, Layland J, Adams H, Ashokkumar S, Williams PD, Judkins C, Whitbourn RJ, MacIsaac AII, Wilson AM. Measurement of microvascular function in patients presenting with thrombolysis for ST elevation myocardial infarction, and PCI for non-ST elevation myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2018. Pii: s15538389(18)20136-2.
14. Lee YSG, Baradi A, Peverelle M, Sultani R, Adams H, Garlick J, Wilson AM. Usefulness of PLR Ratio to Predict Long-Term All-Cause Mortality in Patient a High Risk of Coronary Artery Disease Who Underwent Coronary Angiography. Am J Cardiol 2018; 121(9): 1021-1026.
15. Adams H. Salvage of the Unsalvageable: V-A ECMO Bridging the Treatment of Acute Stent Thrombosis of the Left Main in a 29-year-old male. Heart Lung Circ; 2017; 26:e-125-e126. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2017.10.002
16. Adams H, Martin W, Wilson A, Palmer S. Radiation Therapy Induced Cardiovascular Disease. Heart Vessels Transplantation 2017; 1. doi: 10.24969/hvt.2017.25.
17. Adams H, Paratz E, Somaratne J, Layland J, Palmer S, MacIsaac A, Whitbourn R. Different patients, different outcomes: a case-control study of spontaneous coronary artery dissection versus acute coronary syndrome (Accepted August 2017). Journal of Interventional Cardiology doi: 10.1111/joic.12447
18. Trakarnwijitr I, Li B, Adams H, Layland J, Garlick J, Wilson A. Age modulates the relationship between platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio and coronary artery disease. International Journal of Cardiology, doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2017.06.127.
19. Prior DL, Adams H, Williams T. Update on pharmacotherapy for pulmonary hypertension. Medical Journal of Australia. 205 (6): 271-276. doi: 10.5694/mja16.00468
20. Nguyen A, Adams H, Gin J, Yap N, Wilson-O’Brien A, Garlick J, Wilson AM. Total Bilirubin is an Independent Risk Factor for the Prevalence of Coronary Artery Disease in Men. Acta Cardiologica. doi: 10.2143/AC.71.6.3178187
More research publications available upon request.View More
- 2019: Top Clinical Case Winner, EuroPCR London Valves
- 2019: TAVI Today, The King’s Fund, London
- 2018: TAVI where are we now? St Vincent’s Melbourne Medical Grand Rounds
- 2017: Geoff Mews Memorial Prize Competitor, Australian New Zealand Endovascular Therapies, Perth
- 2016 Heterotopic Heart PCI, TCT, Washington, USA
- 2015 Cardiology Trainee Organising Committee Member for the ADVANCE conference, Sydney