Dr David Tanous is a Visiting Medical Officer in Cardiology at Westmead Private, Westmead and Auburn Hospitals and is an Honorary Cardiologist at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He has subspecialised in adult congenital heart disease and cardiac diseases in pregnancy and performs congenital cardiac diagnostic and interventional catheterisation procedures.
Procedures & Conditions
- General Cardiology
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Congenital Cardiac Interventions including Pulmonary & Tricuspid Valve Implants
- Percutaneous Coronary Interventions
- PFO, ASD, PDA, VSD Closures
- Paravalvular Leak Closures
- LAA Closures
- Aortic Stenosis
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
Visiting Medical OfficerWestmead Private and Auburn Hospital 2009 - Present
Honorary Cardiologist (Adult Congenital Heart Disease)Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Children's Hospital at Westmead 2009 - Present
Clinical, Interventional and Research FellowToronto Congenital Cardiac Centre for Adults, Toronto General Hospital 2006 - 2008
Honorary Cardiology FellowThe Children's & Westmead Hospitals 2006
National Heart Foundation of Australia Post-Graduate Clinical Research FellowUniversity of NSW 2002 - 2005
Memberships & Awards
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
2009 - Present
AHPRA Medical Board of Australia
2006 - 2008
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
1993 - 2009
N.S.W Medical Board
Associate Member, Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Westmead Association Award for Excellence in Training
BJ Amos Travelling Fellowship, Westmead Hospital
2003 - 2005
National Heart Foundation of Australia Postgraduate Clinical Research Scholarship
Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Traveling Fellowship
Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Research Scholarship
Westmead Association Award for Excellence in Teaching
Research & Publications
1. Nicolae M, Gentles T, Strange G, Tanous D, Disney P, Bullock A, Grigg L, Chen SSM, Pressley L, Cordina R, Hornung T, O’Donnell C, Celermajer DS. Adult Congenital Heart Disease in Australia and New Zealand: A Call for Optimal Care. Heart, Lung and Circulation, 2019. 4 , 521 – 529
2. Cordina R, Nasir Ahmad S, Kotchetkova I, Eveborn G, Pressley L, Ayer J, Chard R, Tanous D, Robinson P, Kilian J, Deanfield JE, Celermajer DS. Management errors in adults with congenital heart disease: prevalence, sources, and consequences. Eur Heart J. 2018 21;39(12):982-989.
3. Trivedi SJ, Tanous D, Suan D. Coronary artery vasospasm in a patient with Churg-Strauss syndrome. Case Reports 2018;2018:bcr-2018-225321.
4. A. McCombe, F. Touma, D. Jackson, C. Canniffe, P. Choudhary, L. Pressley, D. Tanous, P.J. Robinson, D. Celermajer. Sudden cardiac death in adults with congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries.
Open Heart. 2016 Jul 11;3(2):e000407. doi: 10.1136/openhrt-2016-000407.
5. Strange G, Rose M, Kermeen F, O’Donnell C, Keogh A, Kotlyar E, Grigg L, Bullock A, Disney P, Dwyer N, Whitford H, Tanous D, Frampton C, Weintraub R, Celermajer DS. A binational registry of adults with pulmonary arterial hypertension complicating congenital heart disease. Intern Med J. 2015 Sep;45(9):944-50.
6. Choudhary P, Canniffe C, Jackson DJ, Tanous D, Walsh K, Celermajer DS. Late outcomes in adults with coarctation of the aorta. Heart. 2015 Aug;101(15):1190-5.
7. O’Meagher S, Seneviratne M, Skilton MR, Munoz PA, Robinson PJ, Malitz N, Tanous DJ, Celermajer DS, Puranik R. Pediatr Cardiol. Right Ventricular Mass is Associated with Exercise Capacity in Adults with Repaired Tetralogy of Fallot. 2015 Aug;36(6):1225-31
8. S. O’Meagher, P.A. Munoz, V. Muthurangu, P.J. Robinson, N. Malitz, D.J. Tanous, D.S. Celermajer, R. Puranik. Mechanisms of maintained exercise capacity in adults with repaired tetralogy of Fallot. Int J Cardiol. 2014 Nov 15;177(1):178-81.
9. M. Dennis, M. Laarkson, R. Padang, D.J. Tanous, P. Robinson, L. Pressley, S. O’Meagher, D. Celermajer, R. Puranik. Long term followup of aortic root size after repair of tetralogy of Fallot. Int J Cardiol. 2014 Nov 15;177(1):136-8
10. M. Ganigara, D. Tanous, D. Celermajer, R. Puranik. The role of cardiac MRI in the diagnosis and management of sinus venosus atrial septal defect. Ann Pediatr Cardiol. 2014 May;7:160-2.
11. M. Ganigara, N. Collins, D.Tanous, D. Celermajer, R. Puranik. Anomalous left anterior descending coronary artery from the pulmonary artery – the role of cardiac MRI. Int J Cardiol. 2014 Mar 1(1):e172-4.
12. S. O’Meagher, M. Ganigara, P. Munoz, D.J. Tanous, R.B. Chard, D.S. Celermajer, R. Puranik. Right ventricular outflow tract enlargement prior to pulmonary valve replacement is associated with poorer structural and functional outcomes, in adults with repaired Tetralogy of Fallot. Heart Lung Circ. 2014:482-8.
13. R. Padang, M. Dennis, C. Semsarian, P.G. Bannon, D.J. Tanous, D.S. Celermajer, R. Puranik. Detection of serious complications by MR imaging in asymptomatic young adults with repaired coarctation of the aorta.
Heart Lung Circ. 2014:332-8.
14. S. O’Meagher, P.A. Munoz, J.A. Alison, I.H. Young, D.J. Tanous, D.S. Celermajer, R. Puranik. Exercise capacity and stroke volume are preserved late after tetralogy repair, despite severe right ventricular dilatation. Heart. 2012 Nov;98(21):1595-9.
15. P. Stoodley, D. Tanous D, D. Richards, S. Meikle, J. Clarke, R. Hui, L. Thomas. Trastuzumab-induced cardiotoxicity: the role of two-dimensional myocardial strain imaging in diagnosis and management. Echocardiography. 2012 Jul;29(6):E137-40.
16. D. Tanous, S.C. Siu, J. Mason, M. Greutmann, R.M. Wald, J.D. Parker, M. Sermer, J.M.Colman, C.K. Silversides. B-type natriuretic peptide in pregnant women with heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Oct 5;56(15):1247-53
17. D. Tanous, S.N. Nadeem, X. Mason, J.M. Colman, L.N. Benson, E.M. Horlick. Creation of a functional tricuspid valve: Novel use of percutaneously implanted valve in right atrial to right ventricular conduit in a patient with tricuspid atresia. Int J Cardiol. 2010 144:e8-10.
18. D. Tanous†, N. Collins†, P. Dahghani, L.N. Benson, E.M. Horlick. Covered Stents in the Management of Coarctation of the Aorta in the Adult: Initial Results and 1-year Angiographic and Hemodynamic Follow-up. Int J Cardiol. 2010 140:287-95. †contributed equally.
19. D.Tanous, L.N.Benson, E.M.Horlick. Coarctation of the aorta: evaluation and management. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2009 24:509-15.
20. L. Dos, A. Dadashev, D. Tanous, I.J. Ferreira-González, K. Haberer, S.C. Siu MD, G.S. Van Arsdell, E.N. Oechslin, W.G. Williams, C.K. Silversides. Pulmonary valve replacement in repaired tetralogy of fallot: determinants of early postoperative adverse outcomes. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 138:553-9.
21. A. Samman, M. Schwerzmann, O.H. Balint, D Tanous, A. Redington, J. Granton, S.C. Siu, C.K. Silversides. Exercise capacity and biventricular function in adult patients with repaired tetralogy of Fallot. Am Heart J. 2008 Jul;156(1):100-5
22. D. Tanous, N. Hime and R. Stocker. Anti-atherosclerotic and anti-diabetic properties of probucol and related compounds. Redox Rep. 2008;13(2):48-59
23. D. Tanous, J. H. Bräsen, K. Choy, B. J. Wu, K. Kathir, A. Lau, D. S. Celermajer, and R.Stocker. Probucol inhibits in-stent thrombosis and neointimal hyperplasia by promoting re- endothelialization. Atherosclerosis, 2006 Dec;189(2):342-9
24. B. J. Wu, K. Kathir, P. K. Witting, K. Beck, K. Choy, C Li, K. D. Croft, T. A. Mori, D.Tanous, M. R. Adams, A. K. Lau, and R. Stocker. Antioxidants protect from atherosclerosis by a heme oxygenase-1 pathway that is independent of free radical scavenging. Journal of Experimental Medicine 203:1117-27View More