Associate Professor Ajay Sinhal is a consultant Interventional Cardiologist practicing at Flinders Private Hospital, Heart and Vascular Institute, and Ashford Hospital. After completing initial training in India he did an interventional cardiology fellowship in Vancouver, Canada with Professor John Webb, a pioneer in transcatheter aortic valve technology.
After completing his fellowship in 2006 Dr Sinhal returned to Adelaide. A team led by Dr Sinhal did first balloon expandable transcatheter aortic valve implant (TAVI) in Australasia in 2008. Since then he has developed successful TAVI program at 3 sites in Adelaide. He has trained many colleagues, local and international, in TAVI technology and assisted them in setting up their own program. His special interests are complex coronary and structural heart interventions.
Dr Sinhal is Director of cardiac catheterisation lab at Flinders Campus. He has been the principal investigator for many multicentre international and national clinical trials. He has a keen interest in teaching and has authored several publications. He currently serves on the national TAVI registry, TAVI credentialing committee, Interventional Council and ANZET committee.
1. Bhukanwala F, Ramakrishnan R, Hakim A, Pichad S, Kalgikar A, Bhosle N, Sinhal A, Paidhunghat JV. Transesophageal fistula following prolonged mechanical ventilation. J Assoc Physicialns India. 1999 Aug;47(8)821-2.
2. SC Toal, A R Sinhal, Y Y Lokhandwala. Pictorial CME- Pacemaker lead fracture. JAPI 2002; 50:930.
3. Anoop Gupta, Ajay Singhal, Yash Lokhandwala. Wide QRS complex tachycardia. Indian Journal of Electrocardiography Dec2000; 15
4. Shetty S, Nyayadhish P Y, Shah J, Sinhal A R, Thakkar B M, Kerkar P G, Vora A M, Lokhandwala Y Y. Atrial Tachycardia : Clinical Features, EP study & Efficacy of RF Ablation. PACE 2003; 26: S 60
5. Jian Ye, Anson Cheung, Samuel Lichtenstein, S Pasupati, R Carere, C Thompson, Ajay Sinhal and J Webb Six month outcome of transapical transcatheter aortic valve implantation in initial seven patients European Journal of Cardio-thoracic surgery January 2007;31;1;16-21
6. J Webb, S Pasupati, K Humphries, C Thompson, L Altwegg, R Moss, A Sinhal, R Carere, B Munt, D Ricci, J ye, A Cheung, S Lichtenstein : Percutaneous transarterial aortic valve replacement in selected high-risk patients with Aortic stenosis Circulation. 2007; 116: 755-763.
7. Pasupati S, Sinhal A, Humphries K, Webb J Re-dilatation of balloon expandable aortic valves (BEAV): what do we know? Am J Cardiol 2007;100: 571
8. R Moss, E Ivens, S Pasupati, K Humphries, C Thompson, B Munt, A Sinhal, J Webb. Role of echocardiography in Percutaneous aortic valve implantation JACC Img 2008; 1;15-24.
9. A Sinhal, LAltwegg, S Pasupati, K Humphries, M Allard, P Martin, A Cheung, J Ye, C Kerr, S Lichtenstein, J Webb; Atrioventricular block after transcatheter balloon expandable aortic valve implantation JACC Interv 2008;1;305-309
10. A Sinhal, D Chew Percutaneous coronary intervention for acute coronary syndrome in Australia Indian Heart Journal 2008; 61; 635-640
11. Majo Joseph, Rebecca Perry, Ajay Sinhal, Derek Chew, Stirling Carlson, John Webb. Acute mitral regurgitation complicating transcatheter aortic valve implantation The Journal of Heart Valve Disease 05/2011;20(3)361-3
12. Chris Malkin, Jo Judd… Ajay Sinhal – Balloon aortic valvuloplasty to bridge and triage patients in the era of trans-catheter aortic valve implantation – Catheter and Cardiovascular interventions 05/2012; DOI: 10.1002/ccd.24325
13. Stephen Worthley, Costas T, M Worthley, Ajay Sinhal… V Papademetriou – Safety and efficacy of a multi-electrode renal sympathetic denervation system in resistant hypertension: the EnligHTN I trial ; European Heart Journal 06/2013; DOI 10.1093/euheart/eht 197 14 G Crouch, J Bennetts, C Bradbrook, A Sinhal… J Selvanayagam – Quantitative Analysis of Paravalvular Leak of Transcatheter Aortic valves using Cardiac MR: A Comparison of surgical and Imaging Techniques Heart, Lung and Circulation 06/2013; 22 (6) ; 468-9 15 Darryl Leong, M Joseph, Ajay Sinhal..- The Evolving Role of Cardiac Imaging in Percutaneous Valvular Intervention ; Heart Lung and Circulation 05/2013; DOI: 10.1016 16 Aylward P, Sinhal A R New antiplatelet agents and the role of platelet function testing in acute coronary syndromes: Clinical therapeutics (www.MDLinx.com) August 2013 17 G Crouch, J Benneetts, Ajay Sinhal …J Selvanayagam- Quantitative analysis of paravalvular leak of transcatheter aortic valves using cardiac MR ; Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance 01/2013; 15 (1) 18 R Prakash, G Crouch, M Joseph…..Ajay Sinhal – Very Late Ventricular Displacement of Transcatheter Aortic valve resulting in Severe Paravalvular Regurgitation; JACC Cardiovascular Interventions 01/2013 19 D.L.Walters, A. Sinhal, D. Baron…….D. P. Chew – Initial experience with the balloon expandable Edwards- Sapien Transcatheter valve in Australia and NZ: The SOURCE ANZ registry: outcomes at 30 days and one year; International Journal of Cardiology 170 (2014) 406-412.View More